Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
There appears to be a gap in the narrative... Or did I miss the conversation about the Vecna campaign that's coming out this month?

A high level (higher than the usual 10th level cap) campaign across the multiverse. If I still had a group I'd be tempted to buy.

There appears to be a gap in the narrative... Or did I miss the conversation about the Vecna campaign that's coming out this month?

A high level (higher than the usual 10th level cap) campaign across the multiverse. If I still had a group I'd be tempted to buy.

I just saw the alternate cover on the shelf of my FLGS. I'm actually a fan of Vecna Lives! in spite (or because?) of the gimmick opening that too many make a big deal out of imo.

I would like to know who designed the new Vecna adventure, from the start WotC's adventures have been hit or miss and knowing who is on the team who created it gives you at least some indication of whether it will be any good.It's weird how most reviews leaves that out, like reviewing Isle of Dread without mentioning Cook/Moldvay.

Since Vecna was the big bad on the most recent Stranger Things it makes sense for them to release a Vecna-themed adventure. I haven't really cared for S2 and tuned out before the end of S3 but hear the last season was pretty good.

But back to the new Vecna adventures, along with Ghosts of Saltmarsh the Vecna adventure is partially set in Greyhawk. It sounds like a near anthology where there are seperate but linked adventures on various planes and settings, including Dragonlance, Spelljammer and Ravenloft. That could be fun but I await further reviews.

I notice these anthology collections have been popular with WotC lately.

I'm of two minds about them, one, it's good because that structure doesn't tempt the designers into making it a railroad to keep an epic storyline moving along, although they may still do so.

But two, it is probably an attractive format because WotC can use contractors to design each adventure, letting them run on a core skeleton crew. Anthologies, by their nature, also tend to he uneven.

Last edited:
I notice these anthology collections have been popular with WotC lately.

I'm off two minds about them, one, it's good because that structure doesn't tempt the designers into making it a railroad to keep an epic storyline moving along, although they may still do so.

But two, it is probably an attractive format because WotC can use contractors to design each adventure, letting them run on a core skeleton crew. Anthologies, by their nature, also tend to he uneven.
It's good that they are moving away from long, exhausting railroads. I suppose the current trend is similar to the classic module model, but they put all the modules in one big package so you have to buy the good with the bad. It's sort of like buying bagged apples.

Seen on other forums & paraphrased

"5e shouldn't have exploration rules because no two jungles are exactly alike and no rules can capture all the variables." -- insert basically anything non-combat for exploration & jungles.

"All plate armor and long bows are generic and D&D doesn't do the level of detail required to need any changes so it all has exactly the same stats and anyone can use anything in their size category." -- same folks as above.

"You're playing the game wrong if you use monsters that aren't all mental and social clones with no variation and follow the lore exactly as I remember it."

"If people are having problems with the game its because they didn't read the books or you're lying. If you just follow the steps in the DMG, especially about the DM using their judgement, everything works perfectly."

"The DCs in the books are perfect as written because I don't have any problems after I did a math analysis and reduced all the DCs by 5. You just have to know the PC's modifiers and calculate the probability on the fly. Its easy."

"There shouldn't be examples or of ability checks and stunts in the books because the players will weaponize it against the DM. The DM just needs to use common sense and it all works great."

"D&D fighters aren't supposed to be mythic super characters like Hercules or King Arthur or Sherlock Holmes. They're great just the way they are and do really well in combat. That's all that matters."

"D&D is a toolbox rule set that can do pretty much anything really well with a few tweaks. But if you're running six deadly encounters with no rests between them you're off the charts and no wonder casters are dominating everything."

"Resilience Wisdom is all you need to make your barbarian good at Wis saves in tier 4. Besides, all the casters need to be buffing you because that's what the game expects."

If anyone is interested, I maintain two fairly exhaustive lists of 5e compatible 3rd Party 1) campaign settings and 2) long-form adventures. I hesitate to post the links as they do contain affiliate links to DtRPG to keep the lights running. But if folks are at all into it, I'm happy to share.

If anyone is interested, I maintain two fairly exhaustive lists of 5e compatible 3rd Party 1) campaign settings and 2) long-form adventures. I hesitate to post the links as they do contain affiliate links to DtRPG to keep the lights running. But if folks are at all into it, I'm happy to share.

No reason not to.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back