Daggerheart

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Not an attack, but a curious observation; you seem to have a great deal to say regarding something about which you claim to have no stake.

Not an attack, but a curious observation; you seem to care a great deal whether or not someone has a stake in something if they say anything about it.

It's called the internet.
donald-sutherland.gif

Not an attack, but a curious observation; you seem to care a great deal whether or not someone has a stake in something if they say anything about it.
I do, because this is a playtest and part of a playtest is providing feedback, regardless of the nature of that feedback. Offering up a critique on a playtest product in development and then not forwarding that critique to the people asking for that feedback is quite bizarre.

It's like complaining about the quality of your order at a restaurant to a friend dining alongside you, instead of mentioning it to the manager who could have fixed your order. By staying silent, he doesn't know he has staff in his kitchen making a mistake until the health department shows up.

Offering up a critique on a playtest product in development and then not forwarding that critique to the people asking for that feedback is quite bizarre.

No it's not.

I was curious as to what they were doing system wise. So I took a look. Because I like looking at different systems.

And now that I have taken a look; DH does not interest me.

If I am no longer interested, why would I leave feedback?

And let's be honest here.

This:

"Hey CR people, this beta is a hot mess; Bin everything that you currently have, and start from scratch with a whole new streamlined 5e based system. Because I think it would be better in the long run considering your current brand identity."

Is not even remotely the kind of feedback that they are looking for.

The round of uproarious laughter that such feedback would rightly engender, would be well deserved.

The last thing I want to see, or that we need, is anything 5e related.

I like that they’re making an entirely new game. I like that they’ve been inspired by all manner of games, including newer ones. I like that CR cited their inspirations early and obviously in the playtest.

I quite like bits of it that I’ve read. There are some recognizable bits of other games in there, along with some nee stuff, and some standards. There’s a lot going on.

My concern is all these various elements fitting together in a coherent whole. We’ll have to wait and see.

Except the obvious fact that they don’t want to make a DND clone?

The internet is wild. You got people complaining there are too many dnd clones, and then when someone shows up with a new game…. you got people complaining it’s not a dnd clone.
Yeah, I'll admit I don't understand this, either...:thumbsup:

But I'm certainly glad about the direction they took.

(I also happen to disagree that "it would be better in the long term" to have a 5e-based system. If anything, it would be better in the short term, but not in the long one, IMO::honkhonk:!)

Ok, so, I got to play through the playtest adventure last night. As the cat-folk Ranger. And I had a blast.

I think the system really comes together in play. Gaining Hope at the right moment to trigger a cool ability is a great feeling. Similarly, rolling fear can increase the tension.

And not having initiative seemed to keep all the players active and involved in the combat. Discussing strategy, or cool combo attacks. No more, “oh is it my turn? I attack. Ok, back to my phone for 15 mins.”

All in all, I think it’s a fun game. Would definitely want to play more of this. And would pick it over any current d20 high- fantasy game.

I should be running the same playtest adventure for my group this weekend.

Ok, so, I got to play through the playtest adventure last night. As the cat-folk Ranger. And I had a blast.

I think the system really comes together in play. Gaining Hope at the right moment to trigger a cool ability is a great feeling. Similarly, rolling fear can increase the tension.

And not having initiative seemed to keep all the players active and involved in the combat. Discussing strategy, or cool combo attacks. No more, “oh is it my turn? I attack. Ok, back to my phone for 15 mins.”

All in all, I think it’s a fun game. Would definitely want to play more of this. And would pick it over any current d20 high- fantasy game.

I should be running the same playtest adventure for my group this weekend.
Wouldn’t be the first game to play better than it reads. Savage Worlds was very guilty of that for years (and arguably still is). Good to know.

Morrus says the quiet part out loud: “Where the Hope and Fear come in is in the form of a meta currency reminiscent of Modiphius' 2d20 System”.

Ran the playtest adventure last night for my group. We started late so couldn’t finish the final combat, but over all everyone had fun, and said they would play it again.

They did have some feedback to give, mainly the warrior player did not enjoy the warrior that much. Which is something I’ve seen repeated online.

Ha! Exactly my reaction.
You're not the only one:thumbsup:.

And it seems other games are also incorporating the same...kind of mechanics, lately. With predictable results for my interest in their lines.
Ah well:shade:.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back