[DCC] Purple Planet!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I suggest to ournporters that we rest under the shade of a shroom and ask them which one has the recuperative properties we seek.

Tso is dragging the wagon at the moment, so Nee answers. "The viscuson? It's black and red, pretty tall and wide and hard work to pierce the hard stalk. It looks like...well, those," he says, pointing to a pair of nearby tree-like mushrooms:

Mushroom Jungle with viscuson identified.png

Tso barks happily at the sight and Nee takes a deep breath. The former starts unpacking tools, while the latter goes up and starts knocking on the stalks, listening for the sound. "I think we can get three...no, four gourds from the two, Masters." Nee shrugs "Not much milk in one big plant, Ascended Ones," he says in an apologetic tone.

"Quite alright" Gazadhim says.

"So does this require a forceful slice..." he says looking to Conrad's sword "...or would it do to simply smash them open" he says handling his own mace.

OOC: EDIT - Mixed up Nee and Tso first time around, now corrected.

"Nah..." says Nee, before catching himself, "...Master. We brought the tools. We just gotta hammer in a tap without busting a big hole. It will take a couple hours to drain each one. Once the tap is running, we just gotta switch gourds when they fill up. Masters."

The two of them break out hatchets, taps, buckets and a couple other tools.

Tso excitedly chatters. "We've never done this before, Ascended Ones, as we are not of age to drink our own moon milk. Unless," he continues shyly, "you let us have a taste, Masters."

Last edited:
"Sure..." he says eyeing the others "...just why exactly are you not allowed drink it? Does it affect your thinking? Poisonous?"

"It is forbidden. Your time will come." Conrad says.

Tso looks slightly dejected and Nee merely shrugs. With hatchet in hand, the young Kith swings it towards the stalk at an angle, and...

BANG!

Sudden darkness.

OOC: Everyone make a DC 10 Reflexes saving throw.

Tso looks slightly dejected and Nee merely shrugs. With hatchet in hand, the young Kith swings it towards the stalk at an angle, and...

BANG!

Sudden darkness.

OOC: Everyone make a DC 10 Reflexes saving throw.
OOC 12. Made it.

OOC: Reflex save 1d20+4=16

Last edited:
Kara, Steevo, Conrad and Wheatstraw are looking towards Nee as he brings the hatchet down on one of the round nodules on the side of the stalk. It immediately explodes, throwing out a large black cloud. Those four, and Ricky, manage to scramble back before being enveloped by the dark smog.

Malthemundo and Gazadhim don't see it coming - they are immediately shrouded by the murk, and and their eyes are clogged with sticky tears.

A few moments after the loud pop there is silence, and you hear a chorus of sounds. It sounds like a combination of a roar and a bird-like shriek. Whatever creature or creatures made that sound are a few hundred yards away.

"What in the ten hells are those creatures? I've been blinded!" Gazadhim roars as he tries to pull the gunge off his face

I scramble for my bow and target whatever is coming our way.

Int = 12

Conrad draws his blade and prepares for a fight.

"We should try hiding first. Let's move a ways away to a shadowy spot with cover over us."

Steevo reaches his hands out towards Malthemundo and Gazadhim, getting as close as he can without getting in the blackness. He calls to them softly.
"Malthemundo.Gazadhim. Hush now. Don't yell and attract monsters. Come to my voice and grab my hand. I'm going to lead you away from this stuff until we can figure out that sound."

I scramble for my bow and target whatever is coming our way.
It seems to be coming from your two o'clock. The shroomline in that direction is about 40' away.

Nee and Tso quail with terror. "Strekleons!" they cry, blindly huddling together.

Malthemundo feels for the stuff in his eyes as he moves towards Steevo's voice.

"What is a Strekleon?" Asks Conrad cooly.

"What is a Strekleon?" Asks Conrad cooly.
The porters don't seem to hear you over the sound of them soiling themselves.

But it doesn't matter, because your question is immediately answered by several forms charging out of the shroomline! Black spiny forms, tall as a man at the shoulder and a vaguely feline profile burst from the undergrowth and pounce at the party.

strekleon.png
Sorry for the cutouts but this comes from a montage with potential spoilers

OOC: I'll update the battlemap later today. Roll for initiative! Blinded characters apply roll -2d on all checks until vision is restored!

Initiative = 15

Last edited:
Initiative = 14

initiative: 1d20+1 3

ooc: I guess I'm gonna sit back and see how it goes.

ooc: how long has it been since the last battle? Have we slept since then?

Gazadhim stumbles around while grasping for his mace.

OOC: Init was

OOC: Battlemap is up; let me know if your position seems feasible. The first attacks from the strekleons will be coming your way a little later...

I'll stick with my Init roll above of 12.

I'll stick with my Init roll above of 12.
OOC: That's what I assumed but thanks for confirming.

One of the lead creatures lunges at Nee. It grabs him by the throat with its jaws and slams him against the ground. You hear a sharp crack and he does not cry out.

Another leaps at Tso, and Ricky rushes to intercept, an inarticulate cry on his lips. The strekleon leaps with claws outstretched. Tso staggers to the right but the claws cut shallow gashes across his left side.

Meanwhile, Ricky speaks eldritch words with great intensity. Blood runs from his eyes, nose and mouth as he spreads his arms. The sky suddenly glows bright, and there is a huge flash...

Suddenly, the scene has entirely changed. Nobody is blinded and there are no strekleons. Nee and Tso are both unharmed; Nee holds the hatchet, looking at it in confusion. Conrad has just told Tso that he is too young for the moon milk, and a disembodied voice just shouted "DO NOT STRIKE THAT BOIL WITH THE HATCHET!"

The voice sounded like Ricky's, but confident and regal. The elf himself slumps to the ground, blood streaming from his face, and suddenly you don't know why. He speaks in obvious pain.

"We should leave this...spot. Strekleons...near. If you hit that," he points at the nodule on the viscuson stalk, "then bang...and they come."

The rest of you aren't sure what he's talking about, but Tso drops the hatchet and Nee comes over with wide eyes.

"Masters, if there are strekleons nearby, we should find a safer place to harvest the moon milk."

OOC: That wasn't what I expected, either...

OOC: By the way, you get 2 XP for the encounter with the warband and 2 XP for this one.

Conrad helps Ricky up. "You look horrible. Want me to pop open one of those funguses and give you a sip?" He asks.

"Thanks...nope!" he manages to croak. "We really should get clear. Trust me on this. Although, to be honest..." his reaching hand trembles as though palsied, "if we can spare one of our stock, I could really use one for the road."

"Certainly" Gazadhim says bringing one of the gourds to Ricky's lips provided none object. He turns his head to Steevo as he helps Ricky drink.

"Where did you get this one gnome? If I have things right what he just did is incredible"

Conrad grunts "You get used to it."

'What in bloody hell happened?' says Wheatstraw.

"Reychall burned himself up using magic to turn back time. So the monsters were never alerted and the no one was blinded."

Steevo supports Ricky from the side opposite Conrad. "Oh, my immortal seer, you have proven your worth tenfold. Now let us all retreat to a different set of mushrooms to get magic liqueur from.

Last edited:
OOC: I lied yesterday (unintentionally) but I will definitely have time soon.

"Reychall burned himself up using magic to turn back time. So the monsters were never alerted and the no one was blinded."
Gazadhim's mouth nearly drops open.

"I've an idea...Wheatstraw tell Nee and Tso what just happened. It's incredible. Once they get back and their tribe hears about it they'll be doubly convinced we are Masters. Groon, though he knows we are not, will believe that we act in the name of something like his Masters"

Gazadhim agrees to head on to the next set of mushrooms.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back