[DCC] Purple Planet!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
OOC: Sorry, folks. I had genuine connectivity issues until around noon today, when we upgraded our broadband. Let's proceed...

Ricky thirstily quaffs a gourd of the milk, and though he looks better for it, he still moves a bit unsteadily.

"I'll be fine. In a few days. I just don't like to see kids torn up by lions. Even if they are hairy weird savage kids and massive black spiky lions."

The party quickly changes location, walking a few hills away before the two Kith boys are assured that you were not tracked by the vicious predators. After gingerly crossing a ravine, Tso whoops with joy, and even the taciturn Nee seems elated. You have stumbled upon a rather dense copse of the tall mushrooms with nary an explosive blister to be seen.

It will take some time to fill up what turns out to the be ten gourds of the stuff. The two youths make busy tapping the trunks and swapping out the gourds as they fill up. Meanwhile, the sun dips low in the sky, and you know that night approaches swiftly. Nee pauses in his labors to hand Wheatstraw one of the filled gourds with a brisk respectful nod.

"Another mug, bartender!" call out Ricky.

Tso's brow creases with concern. He fetches the gourd, but explains to Wheatstraw:

"More than one per day is not healthy," says Tso.

"Ah shit!" responds Ricky, turning the thing away.

OOC: Deduct a ration for everyone, update your supply of gourds, determine the watch rotation, etc. I've been assuming you guys are keeping track of supplies, so if you're not, let me know. I can do it but I just need to know to do so.

Wheatraw gulps down the gourd. I haven't been tracking my supplies.

OOC: Sorry, folks. I had genuine connectivity issues until around noon today, when we upgraded our broadband. Let's proceed...

Ricky thirstily quaffs a gourd of the milk, and though he looks better for it, he still moves a bit unsteadily.

"I'll be fine. In a few days. I just don't like to see kids torn up by lions. Even if they are hairy weird savage kids and massive black spiky lions."

The party quickly changes location, walking a few hills away before the two Kith boys are assured that you were not tracked by the vicious predators. After gingerly crossing a ravine, Tso whoops with joy, and even the taciturn Nee seems elated. You have stumbled upon a rather dense copse of the tall mushrooms with nary an explosive blister to be seen.

It will take some time to fill up what turns out to the be ten gourds of the stuff. The two youths make busy tapping the trunks and swapping out the gourds as they fill up. Meanwhile, the sun dips low in the sky, and you know that night approaches swiftly. Nee pauses in his labors to hand Wheatstraw one of the filled gourds with a brisk respectful nod.

"Another mug, bartender!" call out Ricky.

Tso's brow creases with concern. He fetches the gourd, but explains to Wheatstraw:

"More than one per day is not healthy," says Tso.

"Ah shit!" responds Ricky, turning the thing away.

OOC: Deduct a ration for everyone, update your supply of gourds, determine the watch rotation, etc. I've been assuming you guys are keeping track of supplies, so if you're not, let me know. I can do it but I just need to know to do so.
OOC I have not been tracking sorry.

Sorry, I haven't tracked either.
As Steevo hasn't ever had a gourd, he could use one.

OOC: Neither have I, sorry.

Malthemundo is also eager to try a gourd.

OOC: I'll figure out your supplies and let you know later today. I'll just have a single ration and gourd count for the whole party.

OOC:

Consumables

• Ration count (yours; hardtack): 73
  • Ration count (cart; dried fungus): 45
  • Gourds: 19 (after all your quaffing)
Effects of a gourd: Erases all existing fatigue (i.e. Stamina damage) from the environment and grants +1d3 Strength and +1d3 Agility for one day.

When you want to consume any of these, let me know. In the case of rations, let me know if you're eating the alien rations or the ones you brought with you. For the moon milk, you can roll and apply the ability modifiers. Just keep track of your own characters' ability modifiers, please.

For Wheatgrass, keep in mind that the gourds do nothing for the fatigue brought on by the use of his ring.

As for the watch schedule, if you guys have no preference, then I will just roll randomly to see who is on guard if any when something happens. Just let me know how many characters are awake at any given time.

OOC:
Consumables

• Ration count (yours; hardtack): 73
  • Ration count (cart; dried fungus): 45
  • Gourds: 19 (after all your quaffing)
ooc: Apparently some people (Wheatstraw and Gazadhim) didn't bring rations or much equipment in general, while others (Steevo and Ricky) brought 20 days each, even paid extra for the high quality stuff. If I wasn't such a good natured fellow, I wouldn't share. Though I'm still not sharing my handkerchiefs, you slobs can keep using your sleeves.

OOC: There's always the libertarian approach...

PC #1: Can I have one of your rations?
PC #2: It will cost you that magic sword.
PC #1: But I'm starving!
PC #2: Exactly.
PC#2 : Shall we discuss this further at the end of the day when you mage have used all your spells and my full plate and sword are still functional?

PC#2 : Shall we discuss this further at the end of the day when you mage have used all your spells and my full plate and sword are still functional?

Contemplates not sharing luck anymore even if someone is about to fail a save vs. disintegration. Then the food would last longer.

The party lights a bonfire to rest and eat. The night passes uneventfully.

OOC: I'll deduct all PC rations from the first set and NPC rations for the second set, until I hear otherwise.

In the morning, the previous grove of viscuson tapped-out, you seek another in the vicinity. Your luck is mixed - you come up empty for the day, but Malthemundo spots a tripwire at the last moment before triggering a nasty deadfall that would have slammed the entire party with boulders and logs.

You camp for another night.

OOC: I'll assume you are going to search in the same hex again the next day unless you tell me otherwise. I've deducted the rations for these two days and the gourds that you already specified drinking for the previous night - let me know if you have one this night. Remember: if you don't drink a gourd and spend a day under the sun, you will take 1d3 Stamina damage. A gourd heals all accumulated Stamina damage.

Gazadhim will have another gourd and suggests searching the area again.

"Hey people, maybe we should each drink a gourd of shroom juice every other day? Or plan on staying near the groves forever? You know, that brings up a point. Do we have a plan? So far, I'm not impressed with this world as a place to settle down. Any ideas on how to get back to our world. Bonus points if the plan includes bringing most of the loot from this planet with us."

Last edited:
"We return to the pyramid with that device and try to open some more chambers?" Gazadhim says while eyeing his gourd as he raises it to his lips. He decides against having any and puts it down.

"We return to the pyramid with that device and try to open some more chambers?" Gazadhim says while eyeing his gourd as he raises it to his lips. He decides against having any and puts it down.
Conrad nods at Gazadhim's plan.

Malthemundo agrees as well. with both Gazadhim and Steevo.

Ricky nods. "It would be nice to get back home to knock back a few ales over a lovely curried pastie from that tavern in Blackrock, you know the one I'm talking about... I'm thinking we should find another cache or two of the shroom juice and then part ways with the boys here," he says, giving Nee and Tso a friendly nod.

OOC: By the way, it's also important for Wheatstraw to determine on any given night whether or not he will use his ring to be able to speak their tongue or anything else for the following day. Malthemundo knows the basics of their language, so I'm not going to assume that he uses his ring unless you tell me otherwise.

Normal ability damage heals at the rate of one point per day.

Wheatstraw doesn't use his ring these nights as he figures we can direct our guides well enough without it.

I'm thinking we should find another cache or two of the shroom juice and then part ways with the boys here," he says, giving Nee and Tso a friendly nod.
"Agreed then. We gather some more juice and then let the young two head back while we head on to the pyramid"

OOC: I realized today that while I was waiting for you guys to "act," you probably need some interstitial narration. And so...

The party wakes in the morning unmolested, and fans out from the campsite to scour the surrounding area within a few miles (OOC: i.e. the hex). While you are beating the brush, Malthemundo suddenly notices the unmoving silhouette of a Kith warrior standing on the cap of a broad blue mushroom about a mile away.

This Kith wears the skin of a strekleon, and a heavy knife hangs from a rope looped about its waist. It watches you for about fifteen seconds. After that small eternity, it slides down the back of the cap, out of view.

Shortly thereafter, Kara spots the distinctive red tiger-striping of the viscuson. The boys nod as they unpack the equipment. "Seven," says Nee. It is early afternoon.

'Should we tell the lads about the Kith warrior you saw?' asks Wheatstraw. 'I wonder if they'll be in danger heading back on their own?'

"We probably should. Assuming he doesn't bring his entire tribe to hit us before we leave." Malthemundo resolves to be on the lookout for just such an event while the gourds are being filled.

The party lounges warily while the two lads filly seven more gourds, just as Nee predicted. It's now early evening. A visible sagging Tso approaches Malthemundo hopefully.

"Eat?" he asks.

Steevo pulls out some of his rations to hand to the kids. "They''ve worked hard, give them a taste of the good stuff."

"Seven. Think we should try for more? Or will we just head to the pyramid in short order?"

"That might be enough. I don't know how long we'll be here, but maybe we can find refuge in the temple out of sun. I don't want to push our luck and run across any more predators here."

Steevo checks on Ricky, it's been a couple of days sense he saved them but he might still be feeling the effects.

"Alright then agreed. Off to the temple. Follow these lads back to their camp to make sure they are safe and then head on"

The party slumbers again in the alien jungle. You sleep fitfully amidst the weird burbles and susurrus. Drifting motes of fluff glitter like great blue snowflakes, while the abdomens of hovering insects pulse with a sickly red glow. The scene is beautiful and weird.

OOC: I didn't hear anyone say they are drinking the viscuson milk, so I'll apply Stamina damage for everyone. But before I do that, I want to check if I still need to apply Stamina damage for the previous evening. Let me know if you didn't drink a gourd the prior night and also didn't calculate Stamina damage. I have to catch up on bookkeeping, my bad.

Anyway, here's your Stamina damage:

• Kara: 3
  • Gazadhim: 2
  • Conrad: 1
  • Steevo: 1
  • Malthemundo: 3
  • Wheatstraw: 3
The party rouses to the rising red sun, feeling as though its baleful light drains your vitality. Ricky groans, peeling himself off the earth with obvious difficulty. "Can't take more than another day without another gourd. And that's pushing it," he manages to croak.

The boys seem oblivious to your distress. Malthemundo haltingly explains the plan to return to the camp, and even laconic Tso seems a little dejected. Nee asks hopefully, "Look more while walk home?"

Last edited:
Wheatstraw will drink from the gourd and then sets out with the rest.

Last edited:
OOC: Sorry, some confusion again, I was waiting for someone to answer Nee's question but I think you guys were waiting for me to continue. I'll assume the answer was "no." I'm also assuming everyone had applied Stamina damage from the prior time.

The party marches under the red sun, the spongy purple loam of the Mushroom Jungle giving way to the dry broken earth of the hills. You take the path of least resistance, generally following the gullies as far as they go in the direction you travel.

Near the time you prepare to part ways with your adolescent porters, you crest a ridge and come upon a strange sight. A hulking form lies still at the base of the lee side. It is over ten yards long, covered in long chitinous bands of dark magenta. In most places, it is almost three yards wide, but there are gaps where its sides have collapsed from rot. An overwhelming stench of gangrenous flesh hits you like a wave as you come within sight.

"Death Orm," explains Tso with a hand to his nose. "Death Orm dead," he elaborates.

Last edited:
"What kills a Death Orm?" Gazadhim wonders peering around.

Tso appears stumped by the question. "Get sick? Get old?" offers Nee.

"Smells like both," comments a green-faced Ricky.

Malthemundo examines the corpse, looking for anything his ranger experience tells him contradicts Nee's opinions.

Malthemundo gives the corpse a once-over. For what it's worth, it didn't seem to die violently, but when you circle to the other side, it's apparent that the local scavengers made a lot of progress before the Death Orm's flesh became too rancid even for even them to digest. The scent is overwhelming, and you are forced to withdraw several dozen yards before you are overcome.

"Let's not camp here," Ricky manages to gasp out, his hands on his knees as he struggles to contain his rations.

It is late afternoon. In several hours, you will have reached the camp.

OOC: This is presumably where you would part ways with the porters and chart your own way. I had been thinking you guys were going to tell me you were doing that, but looking at this now, it occurs to me that you guys were expecting me to narrate through this.

I was actually thinking that people had become busy or lost interest and I didn't want to press the matter. Now I think you guys were thinking the same thing about me! It makes total sense...nobody wants to hector people to play their game or create content for them.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and just narrate through the parting of ways in a little bit. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. If I was right the first time and you're otherwise preoccupied, feel no pressure to respond.

With his halting (but slowly improving) command of Kith, Malthemundo explains to the two young males that the Ascended Masters will be parting ways for now, but they would return soon with a great host of their kind.

OOC: (Narrator) "They never returned."

Tso stands gazing at you wistfully, as though committing the view to memory. Nee shrugs his shoulders, drops the cart, and starts walking towards the camp.

Commandeering the cart, the group trundles off across the broken ground, and it's tougher going than you would have expected. The axles are poorly-lubricated and the wheels often catch in ragged ruts. You share the duty of dragging it across the pitted landscape, each passing it on as he or she tires under the pitiless sun.

With Malthemundo's guidance, the party unerringly heads northwest towards the black pyramid, skirting the edge of the Mushroom Jungle along the way. As nightfall approaches, you come upon another abandoned campsite. You are all extremely weary.

Wheatstraw drinks from his gourd and tries to recover overnight.

Gazadhim will drink from a gourd as well and suggests spending a night in the camp with rotating guard duty.

First though he searches the camp before sleeping.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back