[DCC] Purple Planet!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Gazadhim turns to Wheatstraw.

"Explain dear friend how we need a subject. Perhaps they have a spare body, or somebody willing to demonstrate it. But first explain how this is madness, we can demonstrate our power in another way without the need for death. Ask the elder if he will permit this"
OOC: Did Voros Voros see this?

I translate what Gazadhim says to the creatures.

Gazadhim turns to Wheatstraw.

"Explain dear friend how we need a subject. Perhaps they have a spare body, or somebody willing to demonstrate it. But first explain how this is madness, we can demonstrate our power in another way without the need for death. Ask the elder if he will permit this"
I translate what Gazadhim says to the creatures.
Groon knits its brows in consternation. Tharg laughs. "Such polite Masters! Ask the Elders, indeed! What if they say 'no'? Will you volunteer, Groon?"

Groon hisses quietly, "Ascended Masters do not ask permission." Louder, it proclaims, "Show us your power, Masters! If the tribe is not satisfied, a faithful volunteer will be found and all shall see what my entire band witnessed!"

Last edited:
OOC: Speech comes with a request for Wheatstraw to translate

"We do not ask permission, but we do not want our followers to treat their own lives as play things for the amusement of their leaders. You will bear the punishment for your presumption"

OOC: If Whatstraw translates this

Gazadhim will extend out his hand dramatically and say "My mark upon you".

OOC: Curse, dice roll 16. Should this succeed:

Gazadhim burns the single dwarven rune that is his name into Tharg's chest.

I translate the request from Groon.

Gazadhim will extend out his hand dramatically and say "My mark upon you".
For a moment, the air between Tharg and Gazadhim shimmers with menace. But the bloody confidence of the chieftain wins out, and its steely gaze does not waver.

Tharg snorts with derision. "Your magic is WEAK, pretend-Master!" proclaims the tribal leader. "Groon, you are a fool! You have not earned the right to challenge me, but you have earned the right to die!"

"NO!" bellows the scarred captain. "I will show you! The Ascended Master will be the one to slay me, and it will do this with one blow," Groon says, staring hard at Wheatstraw. "And then it shall use its righteous sword to bring my soul back into my body with another single stroke!" The war leader pointedly taps its left wrist while again holding eye contact with its translator.

Tharg responds with long, genuine laughter. "Very well," says the chief, collecting itself. "No matter the outcome, this should entertain."

OOC: This seems like a good time to remind you guys, as I generally do at some point in every DCC adventure, of how you can burn Luck to boost any roll. Equally worth mentioning is how halflings (including gnomes) can burn Luck on allies and recover it later.

I explain the situation to the others.

Steevo looks around a bit confused by the language barrier.
"I guess we kill Groon? Gazadhim, you can do serious damage to a guy just waiting for it. I'm rooting for you, right there with you. In spirit."

ooc: If Gazadhim misses, I'll burn luck enough to get a hit. If the resurrection damage is too low for a resurrection, I'll boost that as well.

OOC: I was tempted to burn Luck but decided against in case I need it later but now I look like a wimp to these warriors:crossed:

Gazadhim takes a swing at Groon per Steevo's suggestion.

OOC: 7 :crossed:

Last edited:
OOC: Since Groon is unarmored and not moving, its AC is 7. So that's a hit!

You should now roll damage for Gazadhim, as well as a critical hit. You would estimate that Groon is a lot tougher than an average man, and will require a very strong hit to lay low in one strike (i.e. more than 10 HP).

I'll now point out also that Luck can be used for damage and critical rolls...

Last edited:
ooc: Steevo will spend luck to bring the damage to 12-13, if the crit doesn't take him out.

OOC: Inflicted 16 damage by burning 8 luck to move up the Crit table. Quite unlucky now :ooh:

OOC: Inflicted 16 damage by burning 8 luck to move up the Crit table. Quite unlucky now :ooh:
OOC: I'll allow you to take this back if you want. You should really let Steevo do this for Gazadhim. The halfling regains Luck every night while your dwarf does not. Your character's Luck is a far less renewable resource.

OOC: I'll allow you to take this back if you want. You should really let Steevo do this for Gazadhim. The halfling regains Luck every night while your dwarf does not. Your character's Luck is a far less renewable resource.
OOC: I'll go with Steevo if burning up 8 is alright with you Stan Stan ?

OOC: I'll update later today. Right now my whole office has switched to all-virtual, and there are a few critical issues combined with the communications problems.

OOC: We forgot to roll the critical hit, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

Groon collapses as the dwarf's chaos-tainted ball-and-chain collides with its head. As it collapses to the ground, Tharg laughs heartily, as do the coterie of warriors around him. "Let's see this magic!" it requests with glee.

OOC: I believe it's Conrad's move. No hit roll required, here (probably shouldn't have bothered up there, either).

D8=8! + Whatever damage bonus so more than enough.

Conrad strolls up to Groon's corpse. He looks impassively at the body before kicking the left arm out for removal. With one arm he swings a heavy blow slicing through the limp effortlessly. He turns and returns to his original position interested in the outcome.

Groon lets out a massive groan and rises from the dust. "Are you satisfied?" it cries out, more to the tribe than Tharg. Groon hefts a blade high in its remaining hand. "You have seen the magic of the Ascended Masters, and it will lead us to victory! I challenge Tharg to fight for the chieftainship!"

Tharg licks its lips, standing with arms wide, speaking also to the tribe. "Yes, there is power, but they are not Ascended Masters! We can grasp this power without these deceivers and abominations!" Tharg shouts, gesturing in your direction. "We cannot be led by a fool!" it hisses, pointing at Groon.

The massive tribesmen surrounding the chief draw close to it and glare at the party. The heart of the tribe rests in the balance, wavering between two poles.

Conrad looks disapprovingly at Tharg. He raises his blade high looking at the assembled warriors and then to Groom.

He raises his blade high looking at the assembled warriors and then to Groom.
Groon raises its blade, tilting it towards Conrad.

OOC: For Conrad, make a Personality check with +1.

Wheatstraw puts his hand on his sword, ready to fight or flee as the situation demands. He will translate any of the goings on to his compatriots.

Groon raises its blade, tilting it towards Conrad.

OOC: For Conrad, make a Personality check with +1.
OOC not entirely sure how that's done. If it's a d20 roll the. I rolled a 6 ,+1 for having a Personality of 13, +1 for situational bonus for a total of 8.

OOC not entirely sure how that's done. If it's a d20 roll the. I rolled a 6 ,+1 for having a Personality of 13, +1 for situational bonus for a total of 8.
OOC: That's correct. I'll roll for Tharg and narrate quite a bit later today.

OOC: We forgot to roll the critical hit, but it doesn't really matter at this point.
OOC: Sorry that was my fault, I was in a rush when I posted that and didn't explain. The result on the Crit table was factored into obtaining the damage.

Both orators pause to take in the reactions of the tribe. The noise of the crowd grows steadily into sounds of raucous dispute, and some warriors strive to out-shout their neighbors. Wheatstraw is able to pick out the occasional declaration or epithet:

Stick with Tharg!

...it could be ours...

Obey the Masters!
Always obey the Masters!

...dangerous magic...strange ones...look confused...

When both paths lead to blood, choose the bloodiest!

...destroy us all...

After a time, Tharg turns to Groon with a triumphant look. The clamor is rising, and more voices speak the name. Tharg...

Tharg raises both raises a fist in triumph, his other hand beckoning to an adolescent standing to the side. The stripling approaches Tharg and its honor guard with a grey box. The warriors surrounding this group softly chant their chieftain's name. Groon's warband gathers closer, while the amputated warriors cluster near the party, dipping their heads in respect.

‘We may need to do something spectacular to cow this lot,’ I say. ‘They seem to respect whoever is the bloodiest. Perhaps one of us should challenge Tharg?’

"Will we see how things unfold? What's this box about?" Gazadhim says looking on fearfully at it.

‘We may need to do something spectacular to cow this lot,’ I say. ‘They seem to respect whoever is the bloodiest. Perhaps one of us should challenge Tharg?’
"Perhaps, who amongst us is the strongest?"

OOC: If you're looking for strong fighters, look for a Deed Die and good HP.

While the party absorbs these new developments, the stripling brings the box to Tharg. The chief opens the box and pulls out an large black metal gauntlet inscribed with silvery runes.

Groon gasps. "No...Tharg, you go too far!"

Tharg heedlessly pulls on the gauntlet. Turning to Groon and the party, it shouts with a sneer.

"Fool! You have lost the right to challenge! Now you and your pretend Masters will die, and I will use that blade to bring glory to our tribe! For Reagen'Tor!"

Tharg points a gauntleted finger at Conrad, and the surrounding warriors surge forward. Groons warband roars and rushes to meet them.

OOC: Everyone roll for initiative!

D20=7 for Conrad.

Initiative = 11

OOC: can't find the ability modifier for an AGL of 20, I think it's +4, can someone confirm?

Last edited:
OOC: Sounds about right...why do you ask? :hmmm:
Because the drink she imbibed bumped her AGL from 17 to 20.

(you never indicated whether or not the stat boost could push ability scores past 18 or not, or if you did I missed it)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back