Drivethrurpg redesign not working - just me or everyone?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
man, this thread and the other one i think i started on the new interface gives me such mixed emotions. On one hand, I'm pretty pro change/updates/improvements. More than many folks of my age. I actively dislike people being resistant to change just to be resistant to change.

On the other hand, it genuinely is a flaming pile of garbage and it makes me want to punch whoever thought this was a good idea. This part makes me feel like I'm being a curmudgeonly old man resistant to change.

but it's such a pile of crap. I'm sure, 100% sure, there is a good reason for it somewhere. Better mobile or unified code base that handles mobile and desktop correctly. Something like that. But I want to scream. it makes me not want to buy anything from it. Thank goodness I already know what I'm looking for most of the time and don't have to hunt.

To paraphrase the second Doctor “ you’ve changed the Drivethrurpg interface…. I don’t like it. “

The only thing I like about the new version is the past order screen. The rest of it is definitely not ready for primetime.

I haven’t had any issues with purchases or anything but I can see why people don’t like it.

man, this thread and the other one i think i started on the new interface gives me such mixed emotions. On one hand, I'm pretty pro change/updates/improvements. More than many folks of my age. I actively dislike people being resistant to change just to be resistant to change.

On the other hand, it genuinely is a flaming pile of garbage and it makes me want to punch whoever thought this was a good idea. This part makes me feel like I'm being a curmudgeonly old man resistant to change.

but it's such a pile of crap. I'm sure, 100% sure, there is a good reason for it somewhere. Better mobile or unified code base that handles mobile and desktop correctly. Something like that. But I want to scream. it makes me not want to buy anything from it. Thank goodness I already know what I'm looking for most of the time and don't have to hunt.

I'm all for change when its an improvement. I hate change for changes sake which often is what you see in instances like this or Microsoft or Google. Fuck that, these things are basically utilities anymore, make the layout easy to use, make them consistent and not buggy... reliable.

Fucking designers who change shit to justify their paycheck or who are nothing more then frustrated wannabe artistic types that want you to pat them on the back. Give me a solid, service without a bunch of crap that breaks all the time, causes bugs or is less usable than the previous version. I'm soo over tech after being a solid techie for decades.

I guess it's always something.

Cubicl7 overhauled their website 18! months ago and I still can't access my old orders or downloads, and they still put up this:

1714549260348.png

I'm one of a small number of customers.

But I agree the new DTRPG interface makes me less inclined to browse their catalog or buy their stuff.

I guess it's always something.

Cubicl7 overhauled their website 18! months ago and I still can't access my old orders or downloads, and they still put up this:

View attachment 81597

I'm one of a small number of customers.

But I agree the new DTRPG interface makes me less inclined to browse their catalog or buy their stuff.
Same thing with Pelgrane. They say I can just ask them about anything that I want from my library, but what I want is to know what I've bought...

Unfortunately, there sometimes comes a time in the life of an online store, where it can't easily be upgraded or maintained. Even DrivethruRPG, the 8 lb. starving cat in the world of online RPG sales mice, probably doesn't have the resources to just build out something bespoke, or conversely, to keep working with an antiquated system. So the current website is probably the result of desired changes, as well as changes that occurred because they looked at their options and this offered some kind of path forward.

It's like the time I got paid to set up a very minimal e-commerce site for an annual conference, because they had basically outgrown what could be done with their Paypal store.

So I'm sympathetic to DrivethruRPG needing to be able to handle high volumes and a more intuitive search system, maintaining site security, and serving modern browsers, especially on hand-held devices.

Same thing with Pelgrane. They say I can just ask them about anything that I want from my library, but what I want is to know what I've bought...
When Steve Jackson Games moved their store front, I lost around 20 + or - pdf file titles. They had a lot of issues with the migration and I was giving them time. It's going to be a real PITA to figure out which ones didn't get transferred over. One day when I'm feeling motivated and spiteful I'll get around to it.

So I'm sympathetic to DrivethruRPG needing to be able to handle high volumes and a more intuitive search system, maintaining site security, and serving modern browsers, especially on hand-held devices.
I don't think it's that anyone isn't sympathetic, it's that their implementation is piss poor.

Playing an advocate to the Devil, it works much smoother on my phone now...fingers crossed that this doesn't change, of course:thumbsup:!

Oh, sorry. I'd looked to see if someone already had but didn't see yours...
I've noted that this happens a lot lately, too.
Of course, it's probably due to the fact that when you post only Drivethru links, you only see a link to the e-shop, and not what title it leads to:thumbsup:.

Did this change after the re-design:shade:?

If yes, this is an inconvenience, indeed.

I am OK with the re-design now. I logged some issues earlier and they took the time to respond to me individually.

One thing I've noticed is that google links to products are now broken which feels really bad from a publisher perspective.

Well, these days, I don't count on Google search to do anything but lie, so that will probably work itself out in the end, one way or another.

The best design feature is how I log into the old site, then when I try to buy a game it makes me log in again on the new site and then when I check my publisher account it returns me to the old site again.

When Steve Jackson Games moved their store front, I lost around 20 + or - pdf file titles. They had a lot of issues with the migration and I was giving them time. It's going to be a real PITA to figure out which ones didn't get transferred over. One day when I'm feeling motivated and spiteful I'll get around to it.
When Green Ronin moved, they claimed that they couldn’t import sales history at all. So even to this day to get your old purchases, you have to tell them what your email address was and get a download link.

No, guys, you could have imported old sales, you just didn’t argue with your new storefront enough.

I see this in the user settings...

View attachment 81641

Depending on your browser settings, that option might not work. It doesn't work me, There's a workaround in the other thread on here which made it work. But it stops working when I close my browser. The next time I start my browser it doesn't work anymore. So I've just accepted the new look.

One thing I wish DriveThru would implement, is a better share function so then you link to a product it actually shows it, like the Steam store does.
So instead of it looking like this:

It would look like this:

I mean, I wasn't fond of the old design, either. It looked like the kind of place you might buy refrigerator parts from.

Yeah, that's been there for a while. It doesn't work. When I pointed that out, they gave me the legacy url.
That's wild. Why even have that setting?

The thing that I hate about DtRPG is that product categorization is like the Wild West. Creators/Publishers assign their products the oddest categories which makes search on DtRPG almost non-functional. Quick example... creator makes an adventure module. Instead of assigning it some category for the rule system and that it's an adventure... they'll put the wrong system and that it's a non-core rulebook.

And DtRPG doesn't seem to care... at all. They just double down on that with a completely obtuse search mechanism and no hope of actually being able to use the site as intended.

That's wild. Why even have that setting?

The thing that I hate about DtRPG is that product categorization is like the Wild West. Creators/Publishers assign their products the oddest categories which makes search on DtRPG almost non-functional. Quick example... creator makes an adventure module. Instead of assigning it some category for the rule system and that it's an adventure... they'll put the wrong system and that it's a non-core rulebook.

And DtRPG doesn't seem to care... at all. They just double down on that with a completely obtuse search mechanism and no hope of actually being able to use the site as intended.
I pretty much just use google to find things on DTRPG

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back