Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Can you imagine if a Dune movie came out before Star Wars? I don't think Lucas could have made it if Dune had, It would've end up looking like a budget Dune.
Dune isn't particularly accessible. I can't imagine telling the child that first saw Star Wars in the cinema that
the main character kills 60 billion people and his child turns into a giant worm monster and rules for 3000 years.

Dune isn't particularly accessible. I can't imagine telling the child that first saw Star Wars in the cinema that
the main character kills 60 billion people and his child turns into a giant worm monster and rules for 3000 years.

You don't need to use spoilers for Dune in a thread about Dune.

Who has the cult deprogrammer's phone number? Probably one of those ex-Mythras members.
I went through all the trouble to make the spacing so when you quoted it, my quote wouldn't appear, and you went and removed it!

The first rule of the Dune thread: don’t use spoilers in the Dune thread.

It's okay, chuckdee chuckdee. Everything's out in the open now, and you're among friends. We just want you to be healthy again.
I thought that I was supposed to be indoctrinated by my machine overlords? I want to be the one machine servant that rebelled and had an extended lifespan and caused their downfall...

Can you imagine if a Dune movie came out before Star Wars? I don't think Lucas could have made it if Dune had, It would've end up looking like a budget Dune.
Side thought:
Lawrence of Arabia 1962
Star Wars 1977

Given the Middle East situation say just before Star Wars (Israel/Egypt thaw beginning, Iran is secular etc.) I would wonder if 1970's Hollywood would lean more into or farther away from the religious/cultural/etc. analogues.

Side thought:
Lawrence of Arabia 1962
Star Wars 1977

Given the Middle East situation say just before Star Wars (Israel/Egypt thaw beginning, Iran is secular etc.) I would wonder if 1970's Hollywood would lean more into or farther away from the religious/cultural/etc. analogues.

Has anyone read the history book that apparently was a big influence on Herbert for Dune, Lesley Blanch's The Sabres of Paradise?

Don't judge a book by its... what was that again?
Air speed.

You know, I'm starting to feel like thinking about the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson Dune canon is genuinely making my life worse, so I'm gonna stop. Which means if you reply to this post, you can have the last word.

Air speed.

You know, I'm starting to feel like thinking about the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson Dune canon is genuinely making my life worse, so I'm gonna stop. Which means if you reply to this post, you can have the last word.
Lacking on the page--even compared to the weakest of Frank's books--definitely, but--and I generally dislike prequels--with Scott Brick, the audiobooks are decent background listening for physical chores etc.

#TooManyDashesDave

Has anyone read the history book that apparently was a big influence on Herbert for Dune, Lesley Blanch's The Sabres of Paradise?

As a matter of fact, I just started reading it.

Just ordered from interlibrary loan.

Just ordered from interlibrary loan.

Also of possible interest is Tolstoy's last book, the brilliant novella Haji Murad, about the real historical figure who was a rebel, then collaborator and then rebel again vs. the Russian empire in the Caucasus.

Let us know what you think! It has a prestigous rep as an early and high quality literary history.
I'm 90 pages in and I'm loving the writing style and voice. I'm just now starting to see elements that found their way into Dune. It's entertaining as hell and nowhere near as dry as many modern written historical accounts.

Let us know what you think! It has a prestigous rep as an early and high quality literary history.
I'm 1/4 of the way through and I absolutely recommend Sabres of Paradise. The influence the work had on the Fremen and Paul's relationship with them ranges from straight lifted to within the same neighborhood with lots of tweaks. I'm enjoying the writing style and approach used and loving the way language express' details. It's not stuffy or dry at all.

I liked 'Prelude to Dune.' Does that count as heresy?
Gotta admit that I've never read the Prelude books... yet. Having only read the first four books that Frank Herbert did, so I have no opinion at this time. Though I'll happily break out the smore's to warm up over your bonfire!

1712866966988.png

Just over half way through Sabres of Paradise and still loving it. Lush and conversational, I'm savoring each section as I go.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back