• D20

• D12

• D10

• D8

• D6

• D4

• Other/Weird Dice

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ok. When people have recovered from their illnesses, feel free to communicate again.

Ok. When people have recovered from their illnesses, feel free to communicate again.
I was teasing you about your quite reasonable and sensible acceptance of other and their opinions and how that just doesn't fit the image of an online forum. I suggested the hopefully outrageous suggestion we should ban you as a bad fit for having an open mind and even temperament. Clearly there is no room for that online. Then it devolved into a who's on first skit which I've been dying to see for a while now but couldn't force it.

Just silly peope being silly

The d20 is the minority vote !

Why, but why ?

For me, a 20-sided die means D&D Basic (Moldvay) which was the first RPG box I opened, so it's my first love.

Thinking about that, there were all these strange other dice inside that Basic box, but... the d20 is the resolution dice, the intimate engine of the play. Other dice are accessories of that first primal die.

That having been said, I appreciate too the 8-sided die which is in fact a 4-sided number generator. Because 4 is a cool number, but the Pyramid of Evil is still evil.

Related to dice I have the project of only buying non-plastic dice from now on.

You see, I had all my nice dice from many years of gaming - almost all plastic-moulded - which I kept in an hermetically sealed glass jar.

But I then had a spat of life without any RPG play (shudder), and so my dice lingered in the plastic jar for over 2 years.

When I finally opened that lid... I almost gagged from the chemical stench ! Yeah, I realized right then that all those talks of dangerous gaseous emanations from plastic objects are no mere paranoia. Talk about Stinking Cloud :sick: !

So I'd like to keep from buying new plastic dice. Only healthy wood or metal dice from now on !

Except - I really like strange dice (despite my bowing to the all-mighty D20), and these come mostly in plastic material.

It's like this fella said :

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful." :devil:

It's good to be a drama queen, sometimes.

I'm going to go further and rank all the major dice:

1. D12
2. D6
T3. D10, D8
5. D20
6. D4

Why, but why ?

For me, a 20-sided die means D&D Basic (Moldvay) which was the first RPG box I opened, so it's my first love.

Thinking about that, there were all these strange other dice inside that Basic box, but... the d20 is the resolution dice, the intimate engine of the play. Other dice are accessories of that first primal die.

That having been said, I appreciate too the 8-sided die which is in fact a 4-sided number generator. Because 4 is a cool number, but the Pyramid of Evil is still evil.

Related to dice I have the project of only buying non-plastic dice from now on.

You see, I had all my nice dice from many years of gaming - almost all plastic-moulded - which I kept in an hermetically sealed glass jar.

But I then had a spat of life without any RPG play (shudder), and so my dice lingered in the plastic jar for over 2 years.

When I finally opened that lid... I almost gagged from the chemical stench ! Yeah, I realized right then that all those talks of dangerous gaseous emanations from plastic objects are no mere paranoia. Talk about Stinking Cloud :sick: !

So I'd like to keep from buying new plastic dice. Only healthy wood or metal dice from now on !

Except - I really like strange dice (despite my bowing to the all-mighty D20), and these come mostly in plastic material.

It's like this fella said :

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful." :devil:

It's good to be a drama queen, sometimes.
D20 is the percentile die for people who don't need granularity. I mean it's only meaningful in 5% increments anyway am I right?

Does anyone else find it kind of amusing we complain about funky die sizes in a hobby that started with funky die sizes no one had ever seen?

And here I thought you were asking about the physical size of dice. :grin:

Does anyone else find it kind of amusing we complain about funky die sizes in a hobby that started with funky die sizes no one had ever seen?
I assume you mean the die sizes other than the original 5 (platonic solids). It is interesting. On the other hand, the originals were the 5 platonic solids. All other dice types are in a different category and at least I do see the asymmetry.

My dice are heavy, black and pendulous... :smile: And I do have a neck, thank you very much.

Aesthetically I always loved the d12, and often underrated die, but voted for the d6 for reasons of mechanics, ease of acquisition and cost.

...Does anyone else find it kind of amusing we complain about funky die sizes in a hobby that started with funky die sizes no one had ever seen?
At the time it was enticing, edgy, new and exotic, little did we know it was just the first move the dice-industrial complex.

I mean, in fairness, it's not like the hobby invented the suckers. Arneson and Gygax got their dice from an educational supply store. People have been using funky dice for math classes for a long time.

I mean, in fairness, it's not like the hobby invented the suckers. Arneson and Gygax got their dice from an educational supply store. People have been using funky dice for math classes for a long time.
I don't think they were very common even as an educational supply back then.

I don't think they were very common even as an educational supply back then.
Yea, I don't remember ever seeing them in a school context. And it seems like if they were more used in school, the SAT? question I remember reading about which was basically if you have a d4 with faces the same size as a d8 and put the two together, how many faces does the resulting solid have? Almost any gamer would at least have the possibility of remembering that a d4 nestles perfectly against a d8 and be able to come up with the correct answer 7 (as opposed to the 10 the exam expected). Of course some kid got the question "wrong" and contested the question... With more familiarity of the platonic solids, more folks would come to the correct answer and it would have been less likely the exam answer key was wrong...

Why, but why ?

Yes, it is. Suck it up, buttercup:grin:!

Also, the d20 being tied so much with D&D is probably at least part of the reason why:devil:.

No holds barred, I respect that.
But you ranked the d20 just before the last one...
Those are fighting (printed) words, sir !
I agree - the d4 should by all rights feel offended, and demand satisfaction:shade:!

I love my d12s with 1-6 twice, so I get the rolling of a d12 and the results of 2d6. Perfect!

Yea, I don't remember ever seeing them in a school context. And it seems like if they were more used in school, the SAT? question I remember reading about which was basically if you have a d4 with faces the same size as a d8 and put the two together, how many faces does the resulting solid have? Almost any gamer would at least have the possibility of remembering that a d4 nestles perfectly against a d8 and be able to come up with the correct answer 7 (as opposed to the 10 the exam expected). Of course some kid got the question "wrong" and contested the question... With more familiarity of the platonic solids, more folks would come to the correct answer and it would have been less likely the exam answer key was wrong...
I had to build this to verify. Luckily I have a child and a bunch of magna tiles so my kids just assumed I was playing with them.....

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back