Flintlock Fantasy

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Chaotic Wooster

a fire made of rats
Reaction score
Having recently finished Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood and begun the second book in the Powder Mage trilogy, I am wondering if there are any flintlock fantasy role-playing games?

I could do the conversion work for an existing system, but I am interested to know if anyone has published anything for this genre?

I know Graham Bottley has something on Kickstarter, I think it is called Crown & Dragon, but it isn't out yet and is for Savage Worlds, which I don't like. Oh, how I wish he had written it for d6. I was so very impressed with Vikingr.

Colonial Gothic and Northern Crown are supposed to have shades of this, if you don't mind them being set in the real(ish) colonial America rather than a secondary world.

Colonial Gothic and Northern Crown are supposed to have shades of this, if you don't mind them being set in the real(ish) colonial America rather than a secondary world.

Colonial Gothic I am aware of, but have not played. I haven't heard of Northern Crown, what can you tell me about it?

Razor Coast by Frog God Games is D&Dish (Pathfinder or Swords & Wizardry) is set in a colonial / Caribbean / piratical context which includes the possibility of muskets, though our party never bothered with them personally. It’s a really great sandbox campaign.

Zeitgeist by ENWorld Publishing is a steampunk game so not quite what you are looking for, but maybe close? I haven’t played this one personally, but it sounded fun. There are versions for Pathfinder, 4e and 5e.

Naturally you could pull this together using one of the better supported generic games like GURPS or maybe Savage Worlds. Certainly GURPS has books that cover technology, magic and advice on mixing up your own campaign with a specific premise and feel. GURPS 3e had Napoleonic and Swashbuckler specific books that might also give you food for thought.

Clockwork & Chivalry is set during the English Civil War, using a D100 rules set. It's based on the Renaissance Deluxe rules, which is more generic if you want to mod it for your own setting, etc

Honor + Intrigue is based on the Legendary edition of Barbarians of Lemuria. It's default setting has no magic, but the core book has optional rules to incorporate it if you so desire.

All For One: Regime Diabolique is set during the time of the Musketeers, and features the supernatural. I don't recall if playing sorcerer types is in the core rules. There's 2 versions: one for Ubiquity (and has a lot of supplements), and a more recent version for Savage Worlds.

There is a supplement for All Flesh Must Be Eaten called ARRGH! That Be Zombies, which covers your Pirates of The Caribbean/Musketeers era. You can easily ignore the zombie stuff, and use it with Witchcraft (which is a free pdf) to incorporate all the magic you need.

Razor Coast by Frog God Games is D&Dish (Pathfinder or Swords & Wizardry) is set in a colonial / Caribbean / piratical context which includes the possibility of muskets, though our party never bothered with them personally. It’s a really great sandbox campaign.

Zeitgeist by ENWorld Publishing is a steampunk game so not quite what you are looking for, but maybe close? I haven’t played this one personally, but it sounded fun. There are versions for Pathfinder, 4e and 5e.

Naturally you could pull this together using one of the better supported generic games like GURPS or maybe Savage Worlds. Certainly GURPS has books that cover technology, magic and advice on mixing up your own campaign with a specific premise and feel. GURPS 3e had Napoleonic and Swashbuckler specific books that might also give you food for thought.
Is Razor Coast supposed to be on the same world as the Rappan Athuk stuff?

Colonial Gothic is not exactly a fantasy setting but rather a historical setting with added elements of supernatural horror and magic. Pirates & Dragons (which runs on the Renaissance system, a BRP/d100 variant) is more of a faux-historical fantasy setting.

If I were looking for something generic to build my own setting I'd use Renaissance Deluxe for this or LotFP.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess mentioned above sounds like a good match if you like the BX D&D mechanics

Would Tales of Gargentihr count? I don’t remember if it has firearms, but it’s definitely not medieval.

Colonial Gothic I am aware of, but have not played. I haven't heard of Northern Crown, what can you tell me about it?
It's a D20 setting from the 3.5 era that focuses on a fantastic version of eastern North America, in the mid-17th century timeframe. Looking at it a bit closer (I haven't yet read the books, though I own them), it seems to be more in line with D&D of the time than I thought in terms of cosmology, etc. It also shares that vaguely ahistorical feeling that some of the other titles mentioned share, where the geography and nomenclature is mostly right, but just a little tweaked to make it more fantastical (though less so than, for example, 7th Sea).

Is Razor Coast supposed to be on the same world as the Rappan Athuk stuff?
Yes. They acknowledge that the tech level is different and suggest people don’t stress over it...

I interpret it as a fantasy world that has advanced its technology to the level you have flintlock weapons, so post Renaissance, Age of Sail, that kind thing.

Although I haven’t seen the term before this thread, I’ll note that “flintlock” suggests circa 1600 to mid-19th century. So, just having gunpowder in the setting wouldn’t be quite enough. Warhammer is more matchlock fantasy, no? I mean both technologically and in terms of the setting being more reminiscent of the 1500s.

The old Flintloque miniature game was basically orcs and elves in Napoleonic gear, so that's how I would interpret the term.
s-l1000.jpg

Clockwork & Chivalry is set during the English Civil War, using a D100 rules set. It's based on the Renaissance Deluxe rules, which is more generic if you want to mod it for your own setting, etc

Honor + Intrigue is based on the Legendary edition of Barbarians of Lemuria. It's default setting has no magic, but the core book has optional rules to incorporate it if you so desire.

All For One: Regime Diabolique is set during the time of the Musketeers, and features the supernatural. I don't recall if playing sorcerer types is in the core rules. There's 2 versions: one for Ubiquity (and has a lot of supplements), and a more recent version for Savage Worlds.
I was going to recommend these. Thanks to you, now my work here is done:thumbsup:!

You're supposed to second them :tongue:
Why? You think it ain't obvious enough that if I was going to recommend the same that you already had recommended, there just might be something about those options :tongue:?

Why? You think it ain't obvious enough that if I was going to recommend the same that you already had recommended, there just might be something about those options :tongue:?

It's cooler when you second them :wink:

I am among the curmudgeonly minority that despises pirates despite having a fascination for the age of sail. I simply can't abide that much inaccurate bullshit.

And because I am difficult, I also hate steampunk, mostly because seemingly no-one has ever read The Difference Engine, but they sure love sticking bloody cogs on bowler hats and call it steampunk! That said, I did like ENWorld's Burning Sky campaign, so might swallow my bile and look at Zeitgeist one day, but it definitely isn't what I'm after right now.

There is a supplement for All Flesh Must Be Eaten called ARRGH! That Be Zombies, which covers your Pirates of The Caribbean/Musketeers era. You can easily ignore the zombie stuff, and use it with Witchcraft (which is a free pdf) to incorporate all the magic you need.

Okay, Renaissance Deluxe sounds interesting. I like Barbarians of Lemuria, so Honor + Intrigue could work.

I don't know the Ubiquity system and dislike Savage Worlds.

The title ARRGH! That Be Zombies alone is enough to make me never look at it. See pirate bullshit above.

Warhammer FRP 1st edition.

Warhammer 1st Edition is a dark book of wonders, but slightly behind technologically and has too much of it's own dark renaissance identity.

I interpret it as a fantasy world that has advanced its technology to the level you have flintlock weapons, so post Renaissance, Age of Sail, that kind thing.

Quite so. From the novels I have read, there is a leaning towards fictional worlds over alt-history Earth.

Dungeons & Dragoons

I initially read that as Dungeons & Dragons and was going to laugh. Then realized I'd read it wrong.

Although I haven’t seen the term before this thread, I’ll note that “flintlock” suggests circa 1600 to mid-19th century. So, just having gunpowder in the setting wouldn’t be quite enough. Warhammer is more matchlock fantasy, no? I mean both technologically and in terms of the setting being more reminiscent of the 1500s.

Nail. Head.

The old Flintloque miniature game was basically orcs and elves in Napoleonic gear, so that's how I would interpret the term.
s-l1000.jpg

That art is so cool. Am I correct in thinking this is a skirmish wargame? I've seen Alternative Armies stuff at conventions. It might provide some fun mniatures if I can get hold of any.

I think Sabres and Witchery would work well for this. Its a monster hunting game. But could be easily refocused to this, and the timeperiod/tech level is correct. Plus its free.

I shall definitely take a look at that price. Cheers.

Arrowflight is a fantasy setting with flintlock technology.

Arrowflight is a game I remember peaked my interest some time ago, but I forgot to follow up on it.

Wow, well, thanks everyone. That's a lot of games for me to look into.

Last edited:
You said you don't like Savage Worlds, but there's the Solomon Kane game.
You could also do Flintlock Fantasy with Mythras. There's a firearms supplement for RQ6, and the rules are also in Mythras Imperative and Luther Arkwright, where FF could be just one of the many dimensions.

You could also do Flintlock Fantasy with Mythras. There's a firearms supplement for RQ6, and the rules are also in Mythras Imperative and Luther Arkwright, where FF could be just one of the many dimensions.

Yeah, my curse is that almost every license I like gets dumped out on Savage Worlds or Modiphius' 2D20 system. It feels like a conspiracy at this point.

I'm more familiar with BRP and 2nd Edition Runequest than newer editions. Is Mythras notably different?

Do I recall correctly that Luther Arkwright was based on a comic? Years ago a friend picked up the game and promised to referee it. Character creation reminded me of Warhammer Fantasy, with XD10+bonus for statistics... Or am I mixed up?

What do you think about Traveller? If it's ok to you, there is the Cepheus Engine SRD, which you can get for free. Then you can get Archaic Firearms and Fast Magic from Zozer Games, and can run Flintlock Fantasy with it. If you want to add in other fantasy stuff (races, etc), there are some other releases (some free) to add that in. There is also a Low Tech Weapons supplement for melee weapons and bows

I own the three hardcover books for the Solomon Kane RPG. It's a really cool game, except for the fact that it's Savage Worlds, which I am also not a fan of.

pic517032.jpg
pic734220.jpg
pic1423806.jpg

The good thing is, with this game the rules are included. No need to buy the separate Savage Worlds rules.

Yeah, my curse is that almost every license I like gets dumped out on Savage Worlds or Modiphius' 2D20 system. It feels like a conspiracy at this point.
I am in the same boat as you. 2d20 is just wrong. I don't really enjoy Savage Worlds much but if the GM knows his way around the system well enough and tells me what to roll I will still play Savage Worlds if I like the setting.

Last edited:
I love me some classic Traveller, and I'm certainly not averse to Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition. In fact, I had considered using classic Traveller first, simply locking the setting to the right tech-level. I still might go that route.

Cepheus Engine is... Odd. It feels like it was meant to combine the best bits of various editions of Traveller, but for me it fails and I'd just rather play Traveller since I've got both the editions I like.

I own the three hardcover books for the Solomon Kane RPG. It's a really cool game, except for the fact that it's Savage Worlds, which I am also not a fan of.

I am in the same boat as you. 2d20 is just wrong. I don't really enjoy Savage Worlds much but if the GM knows his way around the system well enough and tells me what to roll I will still play Savage Worlds if I like the setting.

I can entirely see why people like Savage Worlds and why people write for it. I just don't like it. I'll play it if there is a really good campaign, but won't referee it ever again.

Modiphius' hoovering up of licenses to ruin is baffling. But clearly enough people out there like 2D20 to support this. If Gale Force 9's DUNE ends up being 2D20 I will scream out loud.

Modiphius' hoovering up of licenses to ruin is baffling. But clearly enough people out there like 2D20 to support this. If Gale Force 9's DUNE ends up being 2D20 I will scream out loud.
Did you hear they're even going to do a 2d20 version of their Achtung! Cthulhu line? :errr:

Did you hear they're even going to do a 2d20 version of their Achtung! Cthulhu line? :errr:

I'm a Call of Cthulhu purist. I tried Trail of Cthulhu and fled back to the peace and safety of 3rd Edition. Anyone can (and seemingly will) publish whatever crap they like with the Cthulhu mythos.

Hand Cannone fantasy! Late 14th - early 15th century!

Google failed to turn up anything besides bad pictures of made-up guns. Where can I find information about it?

I know that GF9 is re-releasing an updated version of the Avalon Hill "Dune" board game, but I was unaware that they were also doing an RPG. On the Modiphius forum there is a "Dune RPG" section and I guess I assumed that (1) Modiphius was doing it, and (2) that it would be 2d20.

Do we have any additional info on this?

I know that GF9 is re-releasing an updated version of the Avalon Hill "Dune" board game, but I was unaware that they were also doing an RPG. On the Modiphius forum there is a "Dune RPG" section and I guess I assumed that (1) Modiphius was doing it, and (2) that it would be 2d20.

Do we have any additional info on this?

The Dune boardgame is out and is very good indeed!

GF9 hold the license while Modiphius is publishing. Almost everything they publish is 2d20, Vampire 5th Edition is the only exception I know of, and that wasn't Modiphius' to begin with.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back