Good OSR class name for combination thief/ranger?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shipyard Locked

How long do I have?
Reaction score
If you were designing a class that could cover the themes of the thief or the ranger, according to player preference, what would you name it?

Basically, something that encapsulates "person who is good at navigating the urban jungle or the actual jungle".

First Blood was always what I thought of for a ranger. Ranger/Thief is even more perfect.
First Blood is what I gave to my first DM as an example why I think the Ranger class sucks:thumbsup:.

Also, inspired by recent conversations, I'm writing up an OSR class, known only as Cleric of the GM:shade:!

Adventurers, Rogue (Fits both), Strider, Scout, or Expert (only the latter because that's what True20 used for skillmonkeys, bland though.)

Sneaky Git, Sneak, Shadow, Phantom, Ghost, Specter, or any of those undead adjacent names for sneaky fellows. I've seen both Shadow and Ghost used more than once for this very job in other games.

Would they be a cross between the archetypal Ranger (Aragorn) and the archetypal Thief (Bilbo)? A sort of dual wielding backstabber?

If you were designing a class that could cover the themes of the thief or the ranger, according to player preference, what would you name it?

A Dúnedain down on their luck.

But likely you mean a forest fighter, in which case
  • With Magic: Son of Herne the Hunter (or some other suitable forest deity involving hunting and outlaws).
  • Without Magic: Outlaw.
Basically, something that encapsulates "person who is good at navigating the urban jungle or the actual jungle".
Outlaw would be my choice as it could cover both.

Apparently the word for a parkour practitioner is “traceur.” Seems like a decent analog for someone who navigates the city the way a ranger would navigate the wilderness.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back