Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You know, IMHO in a certain context this could be a cool thing to use. If it's culturally or genre-appropriate for the game.

It's something I could see being a thing in a new edition of Nephilim at least...

I'm such a sucker for the genre that I went all-in. Even though you can obviously run this sort of game with any pulpy rules set and I've already got a fair number of those. What I've read of the demo so far makes me think this would be fitting for an idea for a europulp/Tintin-inspired globetrotting adventure game I've been toying with.

It's a fraught topic, and there are a lot of people out there that do approach it with a hidden axe to grind. I think it speaks well of both you and chuckdee chuckdee that you were able to talk this through rather than doing the standard Internet thing of doubling down. Thanks, guys.

U bet. I'm embarassed enough, no need to make it worse.

U bet. I'm embarassed enough, no need to make it worse.

No need for embarrassment. As I said, neither of us were at our best. But with a little self-realization and reflection, I'm sure we'll move on from this and be better. And I have a greater respect for you now with how we were able to handle it.

Colonial Gothic sounds great, and so I'd really like to get Flames of Freedom. But the shipping costs (which don't include brokerage fees and/or import duties) will likely double the price I'd pay otherwise. So I'll pass (and wait for it to inevitably show up on Amazon.

I sympathize with my fellow Commonwealth countries like Australia and New Zealand. Shipping to us is ridonculous.

Well that makes a lot more sense. At the time I felt stunned that Psychic Mediums with Tapping Past Lives were a "thing" in RPG writing.
You know, IMHO in a certain context this could be a cool thing to use. If it's culturally or genre-appropriate for the game.
Wouldn't there be conflict of interest concerns if they wrote for Ghostbusters? I mean, would the dead really give us reliable information on how to bust their own kind or would they try to trick us? I would hate to think everything I learned from Tobin's Spirit Guide was just a wicked disinformation campaign, especially if I'm standing there, slimed from head to toe, with a useless proton pack and an angry Class VII specter hovering over me.

If I back the Kickstarter for Flames of Freedom and let them know that I want none of my money to go to Fox himself, do you think they'd be OK with that? :wink:

Nah, I've decided I'll get by fine with "just" Colonial Gothic.

Colonial Gothic sounds great, and so I'd really like to get Flames of Freedom. But the shipping costs (which don't include brokerage fees and/or import duties) will likely double the price I'd pay otherwise. So I'll pass (and wait for it to inevitably show up on Amazon.

I sympathize with my fellow Commonwealth countries like Australia and New Zealand. Shipping to us is ridonculous.

I want to back it, but I haven't decided at what level, yet.

No need for embarrassment. As I said, neither of us were at our best. But with a little self-realization and reflection, I'm sure we'll move on from this and be better. And I have a greater respect for you now with how we were able to handle it.

Same

It's called Flames of Freedom for a reason, man! That's the price you Loyalists pay for betting on the wrong horse. (I hear the French get a discount on shipping in return for the Marquis de Lafayette's aid at the Siege of Yorktown.)
91KnWwSA8aL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling I've seen all that artwork before? Was there another game that uses all that? The style strongly reminds me of Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells...

"I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse," has an entirely different meaning without proper capitalization.

I have always loved that example, as it is funny AF.
On KS note, there is a new one for Black Void. Has anyone backed it, or thinking of doing so?

Kickstarter for Urban Shadows 2nd ed is due up on 27 October. The book looks great. From 1e, the system is fun and really supports the World of Darkness style of play, whilst also including all the various supernatural archetypes from the get go.

EDIT: Weird. Every time I post the link to the KS Preview page I get a graphic with a link to the notification page instead. You need to use the link here to get to the preview.

Big fan of Urban Shadows but not sure I need another edition, will have to see what they've tweaked.
Same here. I find the game pretty complete so far.

PLUS I haven't even had a chance to play it yet. Just acquired the Dark Streets supplement a few months ago.

Edit: come to think of it, there are an awful lot of 2nd editions popping up within what seems like a short time. I know that it's really about $$$ but c'mon, couldn't they have just released a supplement or something with new rules and options? I'd buy that, but a new edition when the 1st has only been out for... wow has it already been 5 years?!

I think the game is 5 years old, seems fine for an update, I doubt it will be too radical of a rewrite.

It’s 6 years since it’s release. 2014 I believe.

I agree 1e is already pretty stellar and complete. However, I think the more mainstream, more WOD style, presentation may help boost its sales as it remains pretty much an underground hit given it was released early in Magpie’s history and rise.

In terms of additions, I think the split of Circles and Factions and the addition of a downtime phase to deal with them will also add to the gameplay quite a bit, whilst also continuing to double down on the WOD vibe that it has. The one thing people seemed to struggle with the most was the fact that Factions were so broad, with Night covering vampires, werewolves and ghosts.

Yeah all that sounds good. But I can only spread my budget around so far. I might get the PDF some day for the updated rules so I can enhance 1e later on.

Kickstarter copies arrived in late 2015 which matches what’s on the KS page updates as well. I didn’t buy it in retail and there would have been some lag, but I doubt it was 2 years. Dark Streets came out in 2017 though.

so, this just showed up in my social media, coming from Axis Mundi to KS next month...

axismundi.jpg

140mm from top to base

No idea what it's going to do to my wallet, but it is just so gorgeous, and goes a long so well with the Kingdom Death aesthetic, that I will not be able to help myself (luckily I've been squirrelling away cash for Black Friday)

Print Proof of the Quick Reference Cards

I also ordered a print copy of each of the Quick Reference cards for the Basic Rules. This is a small order to test the print process. I am glad I did this as I miscalculated the orientation of the front and back of the cards and didn't apply the correct preflight printing parameters resulting in some of the white images having a yellowish background. The turn around was surprisingly short so I corrected the issues and ordered another set.

Other than that, I am pleased with the print quality. The cards come on a coated stock that feel solid to the touch as well as being resistant to liquids.

Here is an image of the cards.

70465096cf7068885fa009f14fd60b18_original.jpg

Came across this Kickstarter for Acheron.

"Acheron is a d20 Grimpunk tabletop role-playing game, where you must sacrifice your humanity to fight against the evils of the world. Mystery, monsters, and magic collide in this 1930's-era setting, where The Government controls the path of History, Factions war for resources, and The Wall looms forever upon the horizon."

"The Wall surrounds the world of Acheron, isolating it from… whatever may be on the other side. Not quite living, not quite stone. Massive and undulating, it looms impenetrable over us all. Impenetrable until the Breach that is. The Breach tore a hole in the wall, erasing swaths of history and humanity as abominations poured into the world. Centuries have passed, the old world has been forgotten, a new Government has risen. Now the Reclamation Act has been ratified, history unburied, and secrets long in shadow brought into the light.

Work as a group to craft and discover your own history of Acheron over the course of a campaign. When we say the pen is in your hands, we mean it. Acheron has a wealth of recent history, but the dark secrets of the past are up to you to uncover. Just make sure it's not Government propaganda or cultist conspiracies! "

Only two days left. I decided to chip in for the PDF. I loved the dice but just couldn't justify the price. It has a very art-deco aesthetic that really appealed to me and the artwork looks excellent.

7248d55c4107ad8eb22259f4aea92600_original.jpg

Since there’s a whole special thread and everything, it would seem rude not to mention The Dee Sanction: Elizabethan Agents of the Supernatural - a kickstarter from All Rolled Up, by the creator of The Cthulhu Hack.

The Dee Sanction is a standalone tabletop role-playing game of traitors seeking absolution through investigation and magic in the age of Doctor John Dee. Face the threat of the supernatural as a traitor with a chance of redemption in the service of Queen Elizabeth I, in an alternately historical tabletop RPG from the creator of The Cthulhu Hack.

Find more here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...bethan-agents-of-the-supernatural/description

30 hours left

I've been reading through the PDF and I am very pleased so far. For those of you that backed Wolves of God, he is going to have wider inside margins, so there will be less of an issue of text running into the gutter.

I've been reading through the PDF and I am very pleased so far. For those of you that backed Wolves of God, he is going to have wider inside margins, so there will be less of an issue of text running into the gutter.
As much as I'd like to consider getting it, I don't have the money and I tend to prefer waiting till it's out.

As much as I'd like to consider getting it, I don't have the money and I tend to prefer waiting till it's out.
Sure. He always makes the basic version of his games free in PDF anyway, and it isn't like there are stretch goals on the kickstarter that need to be unlocked.

This one's been mentioned elsewhere, but I had a look at the "backers only" PDF draft:

It's neat so far (for only 1$USD, it's worth it for sure).

My only gripe is that in their efforts to replicate the wacky layout styles of the core rule book, they've created some typographical annoyances. Rotating a single blurb of text 90 degrees (so that you have to read it sideways) isn't really clever, IMHO. A whole page? Go for it. One sentence? WTF?

Anyone else on the fence about backing Neon Lords of the Toxic Wasteland?
That's looks very cool. Love the art. I don't need it on my shelf, but it looks pretty sweet.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back