Post a piece of art you could write an entire campaign based on

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Basically all the time. Prince John is an evil despot while Brave Richard is away on crusade.
Not all the time, by any means. The mediaeval material is set later, in the mid-13th to early-14th century, names the king "Edward", and makes Robin Hood a yeoman (not a nobleman) and consistently an anti-establishment figure.

Robin Hood only got shifted back to the late 12th century, promoted to the nobility, and switched from an opponent to a supporter of the king in post-mediaeval versions, appropriated from folk material by writers and sanitised for an audience that could afford to buy books.

Last edited:
149170.jpg

This should be the cover art for GURPS.

Ever read The Daughter of Time? It's an interesting take.
Josephine Tey's book about Richard III and the disappearance of his nephews? It has been a long time. I remember it having an aside about the Tonypandy Massacre, but I don't remember what it said about King John and Robin Hood.

Edit: just realized a question... are memes art?

Memes are artistic. And that's enough.

I would say that Memes are creative rather than artistic; I'd also say a "piece of art" is something different to just something being art.

In all seriousness, I've never really liked this question, as it implies that there is a certain bar that has to be reached for a creative endeavor to have merit and/or be worthy of recognition.

There's a long running debate in my area of work about whether video games are art. I always think it misses the point: the primary goal of video games in general to be entertaining. To be worthy of merit and recognition a video game doesn't need to be art; it need to be fun. I feel the same way about memes: whether they're art or not isn't important because that's not the point of memes. They're there to be funny. Sometimes funny in a satirical way, or funny as social commentary. But a meme that doesn't make its audience laugh, or at least smile, is a bad meme.

Josephine Tey's book about Richard III and the disappearance of his nephews? It has been a long time. I remember it having an aside about the Tonypandy Massacre, but I don't remember what it said about King John and Robin Hood.
I was thinking it was about Prince John -- not King Richard III. My mistake and my bad memory!

Post-apocalyptic Toronto...

View attachment 46681

I used this concept by sabin-boykinov as the basis for my Xothique campaign I ran with RuneQuest 6:

R1SOr3L.jpg

from - https://www.deviantart.com/sabin-boykinov/art/concept-art-209496497

... and this is what I turned it into with my hilarious over-planning and preparation, which none of the players used! It was the first time I had run a RPG in 30 years ... Yemar was the campaign home-base. It did turn into a successful 2 year campaign, still the most enjoyable I've yet run.

9Io397g.png

Just a casual raid on some old ruins, what's the problem?

View attachment 46751
AND YOINK!

In all seriousness, I've never really liked this question, as it implies that there is a certain bar that has to be reached for a creative endeavor to have merit and/or be worthy of recognition.
And I've always assumed that the existence of said bar isn't a matter for discussion, it's just a fact of life::honkhonk:!

Rats going to save their brethern whom a witch is holding captives to use as ingredients of her foul brew:grin:?

Not all the time, by any means. The mediaeval material is set later, in the mid-13th to early-14th century, names the king "Edward", and makes Robin Hood a yeoman (not a nobleman) and consistently an anti-establishment figure.

Robin Hood only got shifted back to the late 12th century, promoted to the nobility, and switched from an opponent to a supporter of the king in post-mediaeval versions, appropriated from folk material by writers and sanitised for an audience that could afford to buy books.

Moorcock's praise of one of the early Robin Hood verse poems inspired me to seek it out and it's accessible, fun and impressively written. Will have to see if I can locate it so I can share what version exactly it is.

Memes are artistic. And that's enough.

It also raises the question of what is art, which is an endless debate. How you define that has a big impact on the answer.

I would say that Memes are creative rather than artistic; I'd also say a "piece of art" is something different to just something being art.

There's a long running debate in my area of work about whether video games are art. I always think it misses the point: the primary goal of video games in general to be entertaining. To be worthy of merit and recognition a video game doesn't need to be art; it need to be fun. I feel the same way about memes: whether they're art or not isn't important because that's not the point of memes. They're there to be funny. Sometimes funny in a satirical way, or funny as social commentary. But a meme that doesn't make its audience laugh, or at least smile, is a bad meme.

But defining video games as having to be entertaining is begging the question a bit. For a long time people made the same claim regarding films. You're qualifier that 'the primary goal in general' indicates that you recognize this.

It also raises the question of what is and isn't entertaining, which is as complicated as the question of what is art.

In a fairly recent exhibition on video games at the MoMa I noticed it fell under the curation of design. So I believe they were using some kind of academic definition that distinguishes between design and art.

All I know is that, for example, the ending/reveal at the end of Journey and the mechanical revelation at the end of Two Brothers moved me in a way other forms of art do and both did it in a way unique to video games as a form.

Moorcock's praise of one of the early Robin Hood verse poems inspired me to seek it out and it's accessible, fun and impressively written. Will have to see if I can locate it so I can share what version exactly it is.
There is a nice online edition of early Robin Hood material courtesy of the TEAMS project: Robin Hood and Other Outlaw Tales.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back