Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Could be worse... I'll be about 85 by the time we pay off all of our end of our children's higher education. The total sum is almost going to be a half million (somewhere around $480K if I recall). Love me our broken education system and for that matter our borked medical system while I'm cursing shit I can't do squat about. Lol

Both Germany and Austria don't charge higher fees for overseas students. Last time I looked Germany was about 1,200 EUR/year. University of Vienna is huge - something like 90,000 students. Of course you need to speak German.

I got a job today.
Funny thing is I wasn't even looking for one. One of my classmates at school was looking for a new job after growing tired of her hour long commute to a job that didn't appreciate her. She got hooked up with a new one by another classmate and loved it, telling me that they were very flexible with hours and had nice competent managers.
I figured I give them a shot, not expecting much as my schedule is locked up tight right now due primarily to school.
I always wear my school uniform when going to job interviews, I like to at least look like a professional.
The minute I walked in to the interview they pretty much hired me due in a major part to the uniform. Even with the current employee crunch I was a little stunned at how quick it went.
Wow this shows a very different etiquette to where I hail from.

In Australia no one wears a school uniform blazer to an interview, regardless of if from a grammar school background or not.
Sure, the 'old boys clubs' networks definately exist in some cities, but no adult would wear a school blazer or uniform to an interview. It would just be considered very unusual here. If it happens anywhere here, then it's possibly Melbourne, but even so it would be a very uncommon occurance, enough to be remarked upon.

Things sound quite different across the pond...

Sounds like it worked out quite well for you, and Congratulations on your new job! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Wow this shows a very different etiquette to where I hail from.

In Australia no one wears a school uniform blazer to an interview, regardless of if from a grammar school background or not.

Sure, the 'old boys clubs' networks definately exist in some cities, but no adult would wear a school blazer or uniform to an interview. It would just be considered very unusual here. If it happens anywhere here, then it's possibly Melbourne, but even so it would be a very uncommon occurance, enough to be remarked upon.

Things sound quite different across the pond...

Sounds like it worked out quite well for you, and Congratulations on your new job! :thumbsup:
I believe Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus is a chef so I'm guessing he showed up wearing a chef's uniform as opposed to a tee shirt and jeans. So I suspect it's less that the school is the important fact but more that he showed that he was professionally trained. But maybe he's just that handsome and suave.

I believe Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus is a chef so I'm guessing he showed up wearing a chef's uniform as opposed to a tee shirt and jeans. So I suspect it's less that the school is the important fact but more that he showed that he was professionally trained. But maybe he's just that handsome and suave.
Ahhh yeah of course, it makes so much more sense now that I know the context - thanks for pointing this out to me Bunch Bunch :smile:

I thought there may have been some kinda secret Yale Fellows Club thingy going on here, heh heh :grin:

Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus sorry for any confusion, don't mind me, and congrats on your new job mate :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I stumbled onto a lead for a job this morning. I predict it’s going to be a Catch-22 situation, as they’ll say I’m not getting the job because I don’t have enough experience in my former field, to which I’ll have to say if I never left that field I would never have moved into my current one, and we wouldn’t be having this interview.

Ahhh yeah of course, it makes so much more sense now that I know the context - thanks for pointing this out to me Bunch Bunch :smile:

I thought there may have been some kinda secret Yale Fellows Club thingy going on here, heh heh :grin:

Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus sorry for any confusion, don't mind me, and congrats on your new job mate :thumbsup:
Thank you! I'm still not fully certain that I'll be taking the offer just yet. A lot of the staff that I saw during my interview were not wearing masks. However one of the screening questions was if I was vaccinated so that might not be an issue. I'm going to get some clarification on Monday.

Thank you! I'm still not fully certain that I'll be taking the offer just yet. A lot of the staff that I saw during my interview were not wearing masks. However one of the screening questions was if I was vaccinated so that might not be an issue. I'm going to get some clarification on Monday.
Do you hang out with any kids under 5 or immunocompromised people?

Do you hang out with any kids under 5 or immunocompromised people?
The DM of my D&D group hosts our weekly games at his house with his kids. They're both too young to get vaxxed currently. Additionally if I got infected I would miss a minimum of 2 weeks of class which, while it wouldn't automatically fail me, would lead to me missing out on a bunch of curriculum.

The DM of my D&D group hosts our weekly games at his house with his kids. They're both too young to get vaxxed currently. Additionally if I got infected I would miss a minimum of 2 weeks of class which, while it wouldn't automatically fail me, would lead to me missing out on a bunch of curriculum.
Yeah then it's and issue.

Yeah then it's and issue.
It's a frustrating factor I have to consider now. It wasn't an issue at my last job as every staff member was required by law to be vaccinated. The problem there was that the facility manager told me he had raised my wage, but then didn't, among many other problems.

When the city reaches 90% fully vaccinated (which could happen in the next few weeks), we can start coming out of lockdown. Spittingwife has been talking excitedly about the homeware shopping we're going to do. I've indicated that I'd prefer to spend the same length of time getting booted in the twig 'n' berries, but she doesn't seem to take it in.

When the city reaches 90% fully vaccinated (which could happen in the next few weeks), we can start coming out of lockdown. Spittingwife has been talking excitedly about the homeware shopping we're going to do. I've indicated that I'd prefer to spend the same length of time getting booted in the twig 'n' berries, but she doesn't seem to take it in.
Yeah why am I being asked my opinion only to be told I'm wrong or have no taste?!?! Can we just save some time and she can shop and I can do anything else.

Been getting a bit healthier. Am 4 weeks into a 12-week half-marathon training plan (Hal Higdon Novice 2, specifically). Started working with a personal trainer again last week. Have drastically reduced alcohol consumption. And, without really trying or meaning to, pretty much gave up soda. I've been eating most of my meals at home and I don't keep soda at home, so that part was pretty easy.

already_on_fire.jpg
During our first session of a peri-apocalyptic home brew rpg the shed of an abandoned building went up in flames. Of course we all ran out to see. Rich captured this selfie homage to the "little girl watching a fire" meme.

Been getting a bit healthier. Am 4 weeks into a 12-week half-marathon training plan (Hal Higdon Novice 2, specifically). Started working with a personal trainer again last week. Have drastically reduced alcohol consumption. And, without really trying or meaning to, pretty much gave up soda. I've been eating most of my meals at home and I don't keep soda at home, so that part was pretty easy.
Hey, that's the training plan I used for my first half-marathon. It's a great system, really builds up endurance well.
Good luck!

Stuff that happened in the last two weeks:

• Wife’s car had to be taken into the dealership because of transmission issue. Was at the shop for about 11 days. Total replacement. Cost to us: $100. Cost to Nissan because I bought an extended warranty: $4,700.

• Big rainstorm two weekends ago. Bubble of water formed on wall under paint. Stood there holding a towel for a couple hours until rain stopped. Stains on ceiling. Had a roofing guy look at it. Skylight flashing needs replacing.

• Wife calls me into the kitchen the other morning with everything out from under the sink. The sprayer hose decided to get frayed. Luckily no damage because a stack of towels caught whatever leaked. Proceeded to try and fix line but it’s a terrible design. Proceeded to buy new faucet and will install tonight hopefully.

• Wife’s car had to be taken into the dealership because of transmission issue. Was at the shop for about 11 days. Total replacement. Cost to us: $100. Cost to because I bought an extended warranty: $4,700.

• Big rainstorm two weekends ago. Bubble of water formed on wall under paint. Stood there holding a towel for a couple hours until rain stopped. Stains on ceiling. Had a roofing guy look at it. Skylight flashing needs replacing.

• Wife calls me into the kitchen the other morning with everything out from under the sink. The sprayer hose decided to get frayed. Luckily no damage because a stack of towels caught whatever leaked. Proceeded to try and fix line but it’s a terrible design. Proceeded to buy new faucet and will install tonight hopefully.
As a homeowner, it's never far from my mind that water in the house is a barely-controlled force.

As a homeowner, it's never far from my mind that water in the house is a barely-controlled force.
I’ve heard and read over the years that skylights are terrible as far as leaks go. I’m pretty sure the previous owner had it happen too but didn’t do anything about it.

• Wife’s car had to be taken into the dealership because of transmission issue. Was at the shop for about 11 days. Total replacement. Cost to us: $100. Cost to Nissan because I bought an extended warranty: $4,700.

Looks like all of that could have been a lot worse.

They started sending out ads for us to get insurance to cover the pipe from the house to the meter. It scared me the first time, then I convinced myself I didn't need it. They sent out a more official ad with a deadline, and that scared me even more.

Then I actually did some research and found out it's a real scam. Just have a bit extra in your maintenance budget just in case, and even in the unlikely event you need it, you'll probably be covered.

I can't believe the utility companies actually partner with those scam artists.

Skylights are the work of the Devil. In fact, any penetration through a roof is the work of the Devil. My current problem is with the flashing around the vent from the range hood. I have it gussied up with silicone caulking, but my roof needs further attention and I have to get some quotes to determine whether I will simply replace the whole thing next winter.

Looks like all of that could have been a lot worse.

They started sending out ads for us to get insurance to cover the pipe from the house to the meter. It scared me the first time, then I convinced myself I didn't need it. They sent out a more official ad with a deadline, and that scared me even more.

Then I actually did some research and found out it's a real scam. Just have a bit extra in your maintenance budget just in case, and even in the unlikely event you need it, you'll probably be covered.

I can't believe the utility companies actually partner with those scam artists.
I agree but then i can save and keep a pile of money off to the side at all times. Some folks just can't and a constant small payment can be beneficial especially if they allow catch up payments without penalty.

I was laid off 6 weeks ago.. My former supervisor called me up this morning and offered me my job back with an 8% raise. I am not sure what to do and told him I need time to think it over.

I have also been working on an RPG Maker game for funsies.

I was laid off 6 weeks ago.. My former supervisor called me up this morning and offered me my job back with an 8% raise. I am not sure what to do and told him I need time to think it over.

I have also been working on an RPG Maker game for funsies.
Did you like your previous job? or rather was it something that you didn't hate?
That was something I kept asking myself at my last job.

I just got confirmation that no, the potential new job does not require vaccinations. I am still torn between taking it or not. The chief manager said that the lower managers take wearing masks very seriously and that he was surprised that I had seen several maskless employees when I was being given a quick tour by the Sous Chef and that he would definitely take care of that. I am very gun-shy after my last manager who would take all your concerns, smile nod, say "I'll take care of it" before ignoring everything you said.
Plus I really want to work with the friend who recommended me the job.

I agree but then i can save and keep a pile of money off to the side at all times. Some folks just can't and a constant small payment can be beneficial especially if they allow catch up payments without penalty.
From what I hear, even on something scammy like this, they still have 'clauses'. And in the article on Forbes I read, they took their public financials and the amount paid out and got an average that they paid out in claims $480. I formerly thought paying into these things can save you something down the road but realized that it makes you less flexible in what you can pay.

Agreed. I had a soft spot in the floor of the bathroom. The bathroom had carpet so I figured it getting wet over the years did it. Carpet in the bathroom is the devil by the way. So I tore up the carpet figuring I would replace some floor, then lay down some vinyl. Found the whole floor rotten, including under the tub. Then found out it was because the water heater had been leaking for probably years. What should have been a weekend job turned into a multi-month ordeal.:sad:

Every time I see carpet in a bathroom I just see red. Worked as a building contractor for like 12 years, and it's still the worst design sin that exists.

(Granted, I just hate carpet in general. Rip enough of it out and you know EXACTLY how nasty even a clean looking carpet truly is).

I’m trying to get the soap dispenser off but the nut underneath is stuck and it keeps spinning the whole thing around. I was going to take a wrench and hold it underneath the counter and take a strap wrench on the base of the soap dispenser and try to break the seal. What do you think would be better to use to try and penetrate the gunk: liquid wrench or WD-40?

I’m trying to get the soap dispenser off but the nut underneath is stuck and it keeps spinning the whole thing around. I was going to take a wrench and hold it underneath the counter and take a strap wrench on the base of the soap dispenser and try to break the seal. What do you think would be better to use to try and penetrate the gunk: liquid wrench or WD-40?

baking soda and vinegar

My experience is wd40 and liquid wrench are just about the same but my brother who is was a chief engineer on tankers swears by liquid wrench. But he also forgot to tighten all the hose clamps on my boat after I explicitly reminded him. I'm not bitter about that at all....

baking soda and vinegar
Call me a granola hippie or whatever but I prefer this combo for kitchen and bathroom cleaning over harsh chemicals.

@ Endless Flight Endless Flight if you are breaking up the gunk on a tough kitchen sink nut I would try baking soda and vinegar first, then a penetrating oil like WD40. I've never used Liquid Wrench but WD40 served me admirably in my younger years when I did all of my own auto repairs.

Last edited:
It’s a nut working on a nut. Which one is gonna crack first?

Just a small bitch that I can’t get into without breaking site rules. swearing is heavy. don’t click if this might offend you.

fucking stupid ass mother fuckers I swear to fucking god they are fucking morons. How we survive as a species mystified me and I have been on this earth for 5 full decades. Jesus fucking Christ when you can’t even agree on who experts are or what fucking facts are real it’s impossible. 2+2 is not 5 you dumb ass fucking morons.

Just a small bitch that I can’t get into without breaking site rules. swearing is heavy. don’t click if this might offend you.

fucking stupid ass mother fuckers I swear to fucking god they are fucking morons. How we survive as a species mystified me and I have been on this earth for 5 full decades. Jesus fucking Christ when you can’t even agree on who experts are or what fucking facts are real it’s impossible. 2+2 is not 5 you dumb ass fucking morons.

You’ll have to be more specific on what you are ranting about.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back