Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
See, the real joy is you're going to be one of those madmen. So git gud. :grin:
Yeah, I'm going into teaching High School Physics so I'll be diving into the dark world of Calculus. When I emerge my skin will be etched with the maddening curves and runic symbols of Lagrange's notation...
Is it worth it? Probably not, but it will be one hell of a ride!

My undergrad degree was in English. I had to take one Math class to graduate University. I took Statistics because I didn't meet the prerequisites for any of the other Math classes. Fortunately, Statistics was interesting and relatively easy.

My parents got scammed yesterday evening.
A friendly man from the bank came to their home to warn them about possible fraud on their account.
He needed access to my father's computer where he quickly installed some 'scanning' software, and said it looked more serious than he thought.
He couldn't solve this at their place, so he asked all their bank cards to take them to the main office.

And my father, whom I have always considered to be way smarter than I am, gave them everything and let them leave...

Luckily he called me afterward, so I had CardStop block all his cards and accounts; just in time as there was an attempted withdraw at a branch office just a moment later. I hope they have cameras... Now , I'm off to the police station for statements, and then to the bank to check the damage...

Edit: Not just in time; according to the bank they still managed to steal +3,000€ :madgoose:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going into teaching High School Physics so I'll be diving into the dark world of Calculus. When I emerge my skin will be etched with the maddening curves and runic symbols of Lagrange's notation...
Is it worth it? Probably not, but it will be one hell of a ride!
Calculus was one of my favorite classes my Freshman year in college, probably because I had a good teacher, but also because the class was mainly proofs. We did have a section where we actually solved problems with differentiation and integration, but most of the class was proving theorems. It made me think I could be a math major.

Then as a sophomore I took a more advanced course and met the people who were really going to be math majors--and who had of course skipped first-year calculus entirely--and realized I was way out of my depth. Oh well...

So, for perhaps some perspective, as a teacher who did no university level math, and who stopped taking high school math after grade 11 because it was boring, I find as a teacher now that math is by far my favorite subject to teach. That shit plans itself. Bickety-bam!

One of my computer fans has been making noise. It's on the side of my PC. There's a mesh screen between the case and the fan. It's flexible, and 7 years of use have perhaps warped it a bit. I wondered if it was perhaps pulled into a concave shape, and the fan was hitting it.

Of course, I dismissed that idea and replaced 2 fans over the last few months. The noise persisted. Then yesterday, I removed and re-seated the fan several times. The noise persisted and even got worse. After about 45 minutes, I turned the screen around and re-installed the fan. Noise gone.

Trust your gut, kids.

Spending my day off thus far doing some intensive organizing, which is simultaneously boring as fuck and deeply satisfying. I'm rearranging so much stuff that I started making a spreadsheet to list where everything is so I shouldn't have any trouble finding it later, haha.

Opened some boxes, drawers, etc. that hadn't been opened for years. Some of the stuff inside was, "Oh, cool! I forget I had that!" and some was "Why the fuck did I ever have this in the first place?"

Might reward myself with a trip to the FLGS later. There isn't anything I'm especially yearning to buy, but I do have almost $200 in store credit and it seems a shame to not use it....

:smile:

Gratz on the organization victory. How did you get that much store credit?

Thanks!

Twice a year, the store has an auction, where you can put in your unwanted gaming stuff. The store does the work of actually running the auction, so they keep the actual money, but the seller gets the equivalent amount in store credit. So for example, Bob puts his unwanted Weirdoes of Zorg* book in the auction, and the store auctions it off to Joe, who buys it for $80. Joe pays the store $80 and Bob gets $80 in store credit. I guess I had a fair bit of stuff that folks wanted last time.

*Not an actual book. As far as I know...

The quality of television programming currently seems to be scattered across a broad spectrum. "Picard", for instance, hit a high note for me, but then again, I'm a nostalgic Gen-Xer who was raised on a steady diet of Star Trek. Together with my wife, we delved into "Power" on Prime; it was engaging enough that she picked up the book to explore the story further. While it offers an entertaining ride, I must admit I have a personal, almost inexplicable aversion to John Leguizamo. His presence in any production seems to grind against my every nerve, and I can't put my finger on why.

On a different note, the release of "Age of Wonders 4" has consumed a considerable amount of my time, another franchise that harks back to my formative years.

Thankfully, with the arrival of the planting season, I have been kept sufficiently occupied to help lessen my dread of the impending writer's strike. I still have bitter memories of the last one, which torpedoed several promising shows. Just the other day, someone brought up "Heroes" in a conversation, and it struck me how I had nearly pushed that series into the recesses of my memory.

do-it-come-on.gif
200w.gif
palpatine-star-wars.gif
InfamousJoyousIrishdraughthorse-max-1mb.gif

We also need one with Grues called...

Zörk Börg!
(yes, I just copied and pasted and subbed a k for a g)

Good call! Getting those umlauts to show up, well I gave up on actually getting my keyboard to do it! Lol

Ok, lets see...here's the Attributes for Zörk Börg! (or Zörg Börg! if you're Swedish...)

Brute Force! - this is your strength analog, but also encapsulates an entire method of playing!
Chutzpah! - kinda like charisma plus conman?
Better Judgement! - eh, maybe sorta intelligence? wisdom? its a dump stat anyway, who cares...
SWO! - mana, manna, luck, good stuff! bad stuff! bennies! whatever!

Currently spinning on my Apprenticeship, spinning on a lot of things at work and spinning on my RuneQuest writing. I have too much on at the moment and things just spin until I stop doing some of them, get a handle on things and knock things off one by one. At the moment though, I have too much on and everything is spinning.

Good call! Getting those umlauts to show up, well I gave up on actually getting my keyboard to do it! Lol

Ok, lets see...here's the Attributes for Zörk Börg! (or Zörg Börg! if you're Swedish...)

Brute Force! - this is your strength analog, but also encapsulates an entire method of playing!
Chutzpah! - kinda like charisma plus conman?
Better Judgement! - eh, maybe sorta intelligence? wisdom? its a dump stat anyway, who cares...
SWO! - mana, manna, luck, good stuff! bad stuff! bennies! whatever!
Good work!

Now it's time to choose the dice, which we don't call dice, because we're at the cutting edge of game design. We instead call them clickety-clacks, and we cast them instead of rolling. I vote for a 2CC6 system with a wild clickety-clack to generate crits.

I'm beginning to sympathize with some of the middle managers at my job. They've shown me that they really do care about the residents. Unfortunately the top of the organization is a group of undereducated (in this field) individuals who veto ideas that would improve things dramatically.
This, coupled with a general deficit in quality (or any) new hires, is causing large amounts of burnout in my department.
This past month about 4 coworkers have put in their 2 week notices, and several more are transitioning to on call.
I stick with this job, because it's an important one and not many people want to do it. But I'm also seeing where the wind is blowing and making backup plans. A friend of mine works in IT and has previously offered me a job, so today I asked him if I could work 32 hours if I was hired.
Sigh...

Currently spinning on my Apprenticeship, spinning on a lot of things at work and spinning on my RuneQuest writing. I have too much on at the moment and things just spin until I stop doing some of them, get a handle on things and knock things off one by one. At the moment though, I have too much on and everything is spinning.

I hit like meaning "I acknowledge that this is a frustrating situation for you." I'm not actually liking it.

I hit like meaning "I acknowledge that this is a frustrating situation for you." I'm not actually liking it.
I liked it because "busy" is good. He's juggling them and so far none of the plates are hitting the floor. :smile:

Good work!

Now it's time to choose the dice, which we don't call dice, because we're at the cutting edge of game design. We instead call them clickety-clacks, and we cast them instead of rolling. I vote for a 2CC6 system with a wild clickety-clack to generate crits.
I think a game of this magnitude needs special dice. Because actually creating these would be a pain, chicken bones will be used instead.

This of course means that a critical hit can be called a pullet surprise, and players casting such are required to cry out "I just won a pullet surprise."

Jesus fucking christ. Sudden moth infestation in my pantry. Have to throw out like, everything that isn't canned or sealed in tupperware/glass today and treat the house. God I didn't have the energy for this this weekend.
Probably Indian Grain moths. Go to amazon and buy some of those glue strips. The moths are harmless, just a pain in the ass. We get them off an on from our macaws food if the manufacturer of the bird food doesn't store the grain in very cool/cold storage, which will kill the moths.

These are the strips.

Q-Traps Pantry Moth Traps - Safe, Nontoxic, Insecticide & Odor Free, Pheromone Attractant Traps for Common Kitchen Moths (6 Traps)

Brand: Q-Traps

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back