Shadowrun News...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Sounds like Shadowrun 1e had some of the same flavor and style as Cyberpunk 2020. I want to say because it was inspired by it, but I don't know whether Cyberpunk 2020 came out before Shadowrun. I think Cyberpunk 2013 did though.

Sounds like Shadowrun 1e had some of the same flavor and style as Cyberpunk 2020. I want to say because it was inspired by it, but I don't know whether Cyberpunk 2020 came out before Shadowrun. I think Cyberpunk 2013 did though.
I find their flavor and tone quite different. CP always felt more exalted, more optimistic and even funny (sometimes) in it's text and aesthetics. Almost like those guys were having a lot of fun even if the world went to shit. It felt almost animesque in parts. While SR felt more sober (and somber) in tone, with the quotes poiting to a strange world out there, the awakening depicted as something to be afraid of (at least in 1e and 2e).

That said yes, SR probably took some notes from CP14, seeing as the later came first.

Last edited:
I remember playing the scenario in the book. It was called "Food Fight" if my memory is somehow intact.

It was hilarious.

Two guys standing in a supermarket wielding gatling guns and trying to hit each other. After ten minutes of rolling dice, the supermarket was thrashed and both gunners went home unscratched (thanks to the weird combat mechanics) when both run out of ammo.

Somehow Shadowrun lost its appeal afterwards.

Something _new_ with that color template and logo? Doesn't sound like 2nd ed.

But then again I'm terrible at guessing things like this

Sixth Edition Revised-Revised Again-Totally Fixed It This Time We Pinky Swear-Edition?*

*rulebook may contain lots of typos and not incorporate any of the errata from last year.

Edit:spelling mistake

Last edited:
Something _new_ with that color template and logo? Doesn't sound like 2nd ed.

But then again I'm terrible at guessing things like this
We are talking about Catalyst Labs after all. Don't downplay your ability to guess correctly or not. Catalyst Labs, like Mongoose Games is known for errors, typos, lack of indexes, frequent updates to corrections of the pdfs (I swear at times I feel like they're trying to do a Monty Python Skit on that and the whole sacking etc) and in general just not getting it right the first time, second time etc.

For all we know, they could have screwed up and actually that was supposed to be an email to a family member about an addition to the owners house and not a tweet. Yeah, I went there. :hehe:

Meh, with my luck it's probably going all in with AI art trained on a corpus of Laubenstein paintings.

"No, 6 fingers is a common production error of 3D-printed cyberware."

Hopefully not derailing the thread (the very thought!), but asking as someone with near-zero familiarity with Shadowrun: if I had to pick one edition to get, which should it be?

Hopefully not derailing the thread (the very thought!), but asking as someone with near-zero familiarity with Shadowrun: if I had to pick one edition to get, which should it be?

I don't like the Shadowrun system one jot, which is one of the reasons that I'm currently using GURPS for both it and Earthdawn (and Equinox!).

If the proverbial gun was to the forehead, I would say SR 4e in part because there's a supplement for it that allows you to default back to the state of play in SR 2e (but not the system). Thus, if you're not into the move to the wireless Matrix you can just go with the default wired Matrix.

I think most people will agree that 4e is ultimately the best version of the game (all around).

there isn't a unified answer. I see this pop up pretty regularly on the shadowrun subreddit. I've seen 6e, 5e, 4e, and 3e all regularly offered. not very satisfying.

I would offer you 3e. it'll feel like it's time, and I don't think that'll bother you at all.

Last edited:
My table experiences were with 1e/2e. I picked up the last two editions when they were coming out and I was totally not fan. I now do have the pdfs for 3e and I know that's a popular edition with many.

If I were running it myself, I'd go with GURPS 3e (early 3e) or a BRP version honestly.

This is the way. Third edition rules, no contest.
Ok, so tell me why 3e is better than 2e mechanics wise. I just have no real experience with it and would be curious about what makes 3e that much better than 2e. Personally it feels that by and large the mechanics become worse, more confusing and all over the place with the later editions.

Sell me on 3e in other words because I'd love to understand the detailed improvements and if possible what they didn't improve when they released 3e versus 2e.

2nd setting and plots is my favorite.

This + any game system you like, be it Savage Worlds, Fate, BRP/Mythras or Cortex+, whatever. Don't try to make a perfect conversion. Ask players to pick an archetype they like, then translate them in your system of choice, pick your adventure (plenty of cool stuff in 1st and 2nd edition) and you'll be good to go.

This + any game system you like, be it Savage Worlds, Fate, BRP/Mythras or Cortex+, whatever. Don't try to make a perfect conversion. Ask players to pick an archetype they like, then translate them in your system of choice, pick your adventure (plenty of cool stuff in 1st and 2nd edition) and you'll be good to go.
Oh, how could I forget Savage Worlds! Definitely think you could run a rather fun ShadowRun game with that system.

So since the thread is kinda going this way, I’ve always loved the world of Shadowrun but I detest dice pool systems.

Are there any Shadowrun settings only books that come highly recommended? Asking out of ignorance and laziness.

2nd edition, when the lore was fresh and vibrant and a streamlined, well-edited and playtested system.

Everything since has been an exercise in crunch, a bloated corpse of the original game, drained of flavour and shoved full of useless gear and cogs.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back