Shadowrun News...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So since the thread is kinda going this way, I’ve always loved the world of Shadowrun but I detest dice pool systems.

Are there any Shadowrun settings only books that come highly recommended? Asking out of ignorance and laziness.
I too used to detest dice pool systems. Tunnels & Trolls being one of the biggies in the early days of the hobby. ShadowRun while a blast didn't endear me to dice pools either. Free League was the one that finally turned my opinion on "some" dice pool systems. :smile: The Seattle Source books always been a favorite of mine.

2nd edition, when the lore was fresh and vibrant and a streamlined, well-edited and playtested system.

Everything since has been an exercise in crunch, a bloated corpse of the original game, drained of flavour and shoved full of useless gear and cogs.
This is my state of being so far about ShadowRun, though I am very interested to learn why 3e for many is the best version.

1705618330844.png

2nd edition, when the lore was fresh and vibrant and a streamlined, well-edited and playtested system.
I guess we're not talking about the 2E splat books then ;)

For me the ideal version that only uses existing parts (i.e. no imaginary "ShadowCORPS") would probably be a very Seattle-focused 1E, setting wise, pure Bradstreet art (no Elmore, no Laubenstein), 2E rules without adepts, initiates, cyberzombies etc.; I think one 2E or 3E supplement had rules for handling decking with one roll or something similarly "non-immersive".

I liked the 3E change to initiative back then (arguably one of the biggest 2E/3E changes), but I'm not so sure anymore.

Everything since has been an exercise in crunch, a bloated corpse of the original game, drained of flavour and shoved full of useless gear and cogs.

TBF, 2e surpasses my threshold of bloat and weird mechanics, which is one of the reasons that I didn't go back to it and went to GURPS. That itself is probably a contradiction to many, but then again I see D&D as waaay more complex than GURPS so I'm probably... odd.

It really is a toss-up... :grin:

View attachment 75561
While the new trilogy doesn't come near those, Dragonfall is decent enough to deserve a mention.

images

This description is so perfect I'm taking back my 3e suggestion. It's 2e through and through.

(just use 3e initiative)

This description is so perfect I'm taking back my 3e suggestion. It's 2e through and through.

(just use 3e initiative)
I was just reading the grimoire from 2e and it was pretty clear on the parts I was reading.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I like later SR. I run 4th edition from the 20th anniversary edition, but as a player I'm in a SR5 group. Are the rules byzantine often? Sure - but there's depth there too and character creation gives real mechanical punch behind most of your decisions.

Was that it, do you think?
Yea, I think so. Shadowrun redddit thinks so

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I like later SR. I run 4th edition from the 20th anniversary edition, but as a player I'm in a SR5 group. Are the rules byzantine often? Sure - but there's depth there too and character creation gives real mechanical punch behind most of your decisions.
I think it would like it if it was edited and wasn’t so ridiculously overwrought.

We have an announcement! "Another supplement". Womp.

(No that a new supplement is a problem, just somewhat of a let-down.)
They are never going to announce what they really need to do. It’s just not happening.

Reminds me of when Chaosium overhyped that Glorantha supplement. Everyone was like “meh”, then they re-released BRP under ORC without a lot of fanfare and everyone was like “THAT’S the big news!”

So is it confirmed that the Jan 24 drop was the critter book for 6E? I think it is.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 5.11.13 PM.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back