Simulating the Olympic Games in Ancient Greece

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have been busy working on some scenarios for playing (BRP or Mythras) in an ancient Greece setting. One of the ideas I am toying with is to have the party members represent a city state at the games, but I am not sure how to model the games such that they would be entertaining and not simply a matter of rolling a single dice. I am looking at the following “games”:
  • Running (sprints and distance) (diaulos and dolichos I think)
  • Jumping
  • Discus Throw
  • Wrestling
  • Boxing
  • Mixed Martial Arts (Pankration I think)
  • Horse Racing
  • Chariot Racing
How would y’all go about simulating these (where it would be entertaining to the players)? I realize that Revolution D100 has a conflict resolution mechanism that could be used for some of these, but what about things like distance running and chariot racing as those might be boring just to use a dice… I had thought to use the chase rules from CoC for some of these, what would y’all recommend?

That or adopt something like Car Wars to your needs for horse and chariot racing.

As far as combat competitions go, I'm unfamiliar with BRP or Mythras, but I think the way to go is to go with the most granular combat system you can get your hands on: the moral equivalent of GURPS with every combat option, every technique, the whole nine yards.

Sprints, jumping, discus, well. Not much you can do with those. Other, mind, than using corruption and rampant betting, and people wondering whether the fix was in.

Are you looking for minigames/wargames or are you wanting something that fits into the normal rules a bit more?

Are you looking for minigames/wargames or are you wanting something that fits into the normal rules a bit more?
I'm looking for something that fits into the normal rules but I am not totally against adding a mini game if it offers the players worthwhile options. I could possibly use the CoC chase rules for Chariots and running and could thus make it a little exciting, but things like jumping and discus are harder.

I'm looking for something that fits into the normal rules but I am not totally against adding a mini game if it offers the players worthwhile options. I could possibly use the CoC chase rules for Chariots and running and could thus make it a little exciting, but things like jumping and discus are harder.
Hmm, that actually makes it really difficult I think. I don't know of any RPG suitable rules for those; in fact even non RPG rules for anything other than gladiatorial fights and chariots are really rare. That said, you might be able to mine The Games: Blood and Spectacle (currently PWYW on Wargame Vault) for some ideas.

What do y’all think of resolving running contest with a conflict management system like Revolution uses. So the runner and his competitors would have a pool of points (based on strength or constitution) and each time you won an opposed skill check (say run) you would roll damage against your competitors pool.

I don't know the rules for Mythras.
In general, if the focus is on the actual Olympic contests themselves, then it would seem to become primarily mechanical in nature.

However, if you can make it about more about the whole experience, then maybe there's a possibility to create some drama between various competitors that could manifest as advantages / opportunities during the actual contests. For example, two top runners who have built some comradery and both loathe another top contender might choose to work together to block that other runner from passing.

Perhaps, having learned a secret or other provocation about a competitor in the discus and provoking with shouted words just as that competitor begins his final throw could have an effect. Of course, the opposite could be true.

Maybe you need to defend yourself during the days leading up to the sporting event from revealing personal weaknesses, strategies, or being ganged up on.

There's always an opportunity to pull a Tonya Harding on Nancy Kerrigan! Could someone slip a substance that causes diarreah or vomitting into competitors' food/drink?

Again, I don't know if Mythras has rules to allow for such advantages or not. If it does, then I would think a lot of the interest would be in scheming and avoiding being schemed leading up to the contests.

Edit: p.s. I know that many of these suggestions go against the Olympic Spirit, but I think they'd be more interesting that just a series of dice rolls.

A few more examples:
Would you risk bribing a judge or referee to give yourself an advantage? Would any of your competitors do so?

Could you get a friend to distract a competitor leading up to the contest with fluttering eyelashes and sweet talk? Can you avoid the same?

Is there extra mental pressure applied because of recent, growing tensions between two particular city-states?

Strategically, you might gain an advantage in a distance contest by studying your competitor to know that "he likes to go out fast, but has trouble kicking at the end".

Can you notice that a competitor is attempting to cheat (against the Olympic Spirit) and provide the evidence to make an accusation?

Are you willing to aid a competitor prior to the contest to overcome a disadvantage (sickness, minor injury) and doing so risk losing yourself but make a long term ally?

I don't know the rules for Mythras.
In general, if the focus is on the actual Olympic contests themselves, then it would seem to become primarily mechanical in nature.

However, if you can make it about more about the whole experience, then maybe there's a possibility to create some drama between various competitors that could manifest as advantages / opportunities during the actual contests. For example, two top runners who have built some comradery and both loathe another top contender might choose to work together to block that other runner from passing.

Perhaps, having learned a secret or other provocation about a competitor in the discus and provoking with shouted words just as that competitor begins his final throw could have an effect. Of course, the opposite could be true.

Maybe you need to defend yourself during the days leading up to the sporting event from revealing personal weaknesses, strategies, or being ganged up on.

There's always an opportunity to pull a Tonya Harding on Nancy Kerrigan! Could someone slip a substance that causes diarreah or vomitting into competitors' food/drink?

Again, I don't know if Mythras has rules to allow for such advantages or not. If it does, then I would think a lot of the interest would be in scheming and avoiding being schemed leading up to the contests.

Edit: p.s. I know that many of these suggestions go against the Olympic Spirit, but I think they'd be more interesting that just a series of dice rolls.
Heh, having PCs trying to protect an athlete and minimize all the behind the scenes shenanigans might be more fun than competing.q

Hi everybody,

I have been busy working on some scenarios for playing (BRP or Mythras) in an ancient Greece setting. One of the ideas I am toying with is to have the party members represent a city state at the games, but I am not sure how to model the games such that they would be entertaining and not simply a matter of rolling a single dice. I am looking at the following “games”:
  • Running (sprints and distance) (diaulos and dolichos I think)
  • Jumping
  • Discus Throw
  • Wrestling
  • Boxing
  • Mixed Martial Arts (Pankration I think)
  • Horse Racing
  • Chariot Racing
How would y’all go about simulating these (where it would be entertaining to the players)? I realize that Revolution D100 has a conflict resolution mechanism that could be used for some of these, but what about things like distance running and chariot racing as those might be boring just to use a dice… I had thought to use the chase rules from CoC for some of these, what would y’all recommend?
Running, horse races, and chariot races - hot pursuit chase and race rules in the Mythras companion. They are extensive, suitable for a main event.

boxing, wrestling, pankration - regular combat. For Mythras, I would make a condition to pin, probably a single “go for pin” roll after they got them into a proper position, resisted with a struggle. Pankration was very martial arts. It’s still practiced. Define some rules (Google) and hold them to that. Boxing you could count points, or just go for knock out

jumping and discus throw - I would probably do several Sorting rolls, or a Task roll, assuming that folks are within the same range of athletics. A task roll for qualifying, semi, and finals seems good.

edit: also chariot race rules in mythic Rome.

Running, horse races, and chariot races - hot pursuit chase and race rules in the Mythras companion. They are extensive, suitable for a main event.

boxing, wrestling, pankration - regular combat. For Mythras, I would make a condition to pin, probably a single “go for pin” roll after they got them into a proper position, resisted with a struggle. Pankration was very martial arts. It’s still practiced. Define some rules (Google) and hold them to that. Boxing you could count points, or just go for knock out

jumping and discus throw - I would probably do several Sorting rolls, or a Task roll, assuming that folks are within the same range of athletics. A task roll for qualifying, semi, and finals seems good.

edit: also chariot race rules in mythic Rome.
Yeah, Raleel Raleel beats me to it:thumbsup:! Though I'd say pinning can also be simulated as "stun location" (body or head), or Compel Surrender.

Anyway, a special manoeuvre is probably best. So I can just offer a file to those who said they're not familiar with Mythras rules:

All I can suggest is that you don't try to do this as in-costume LARP.
Unless they're into that, I guess?
Also... costumes? On the Ancient Olympics? Are you referring to the spectators:devil:?

What do y’all think of resolving running contest with a conflict management system like Revolution uses. So the runner and his competitors would have a pool of points (based on strength or constitution) and each time you won an opposed skill check (say run) you would roll damage against your competitors pool.
….tears up adventure he was writing :cry:
Is it set in mythic or Hellenistic Greece?

Don’t do that! We need more Thennla adventures. It’s a grossly under appreciated setting.
It was completely original as long as you’ve never seen Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

it has some kinks to still work through, like my short attention span but it may be fit for public consumption one day.

Cool I have the Taskan book and I need to get the others.
I think the korantia books are very useful with the Taskan one. the whole world (with the assabanian material) is ancient greeks + ancient persia + Arabian nights sort of vibe.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back