The Board Game Thread - What have you Played recently?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Got in two games with my wife today:

Sunrise Lane by Reiner Knizia/Horrible Guild. It plays pretty well with two, but I'd love to get a four-player game going. My wife kicked my ass, trouncing me by 70 points. Simple rules, easily taught, quick to play, but with meaningful decisions.

Cubed: Next Level Dominoes by Friendly Rabbit. A fun abstract game that looks great on the table. Again, my wife won, though it came down to the last damn tile! Again. Like Sunrise Lane, this game is easy to play and teach and will definitely hit the table again. If I have one complaint, it's the colors on the tiles are sometimes too similar, especially with the pinks. Definitely not a game for the color blind!

I have that glorious monster box in my office. Whenever anyone wants to say it comes in a big box I point to that bastard.
I sold mine and kept the PocketBox set in the pink box. Now if only SJGames would put out the Battlefields pocket box they've been hinting at for a few years I could complete the set!

Played Hammer of the Scots today and the dice and cards gods forsook me. My English were nearly routed in the first three turns but survived to have the advantage by mid-game. Then it all went to hell. I made it to the final turn but soundly lost. At least I killed that insufferable William Wallace.

Played Hammer of the Scots today and the dice and cards gods forsook me. My English were nearly routed in the first three turns but survived to have the advantage by mid-game. Then it all went to hell. I made it to the final turn but soundly lost. At least I killed that insufferable William Wallace.

1swkin.jpg

(sorry :grin: )

Played a few games last night. Lost Ruins of Arnak, Epic Spell Wars Murdershroom Marsh, Its a Wonderful World, and Air Land and Sea. The night did not have a lot of victory on my side but it was fun.

I bought The Night and read the rules but haven't played yet. A solo Night of the Living Dead, basically.

Had a lot of fun playing Talisman 2e the other night. A longtime Talisman fan in my regular group wants to get a game going for money, as he believes that adding stakes to the game would increase PvP vigorousness. Everyone seems to be on board with the idea but as most of our group has never played, we decided we'd have some stakes-free games so they can learn the game a bit.

Glad this weekend's game wasn't for money, because I got smoked! The dice and cards were both against my poor Gipsy early on, and by the time things started to turn around for me it was too little, too late.
1713100852536.png

Had a lot of fun playing Talisman 2e the other night. A longtime Talisman fan in my regular group wants to get a game going for money, as he believes that adding stakes to the game would increase PvP vigorousness. Everyone seems to be on board with the idea but as most of our group has never played, we decided we'd have some stakes-free games so they can learn the game a bit.

Glad this weekend's game wasn't for money, because I got smoked! The dice and cards were both against my poor Gipsy early on, and by the time things started to turn around for me it was too little, too late.
Wow, board games for money... Not my cup of tea, but then I'm a firm believer in the old adage: "if you look around the table and you can't tell who the mark is, it's you"--and I'm always the mark.

I have booked a play of my set of Talisman 2e in a week's time (haven't played for years). Its so random that playing for money would be a crapshoot XD

Horrified: Greek Monsters.
Great little co-op board game, the third in the Horrified series from Ravensburger. Also recently played King of Tokyo.

Recently finished painting and trying out Mantic Games’s Armada fantasy naval game— it’s a fun one.

Also busy painting my growing HeroQuest collection.

Great little co-op board game, the third in the Horrified series from Ravensburger. Also recently played King of Tokyo.

Recently finished painting and trying out Mantic Games’s Armada fantasy naval game— it’s a fun one.

Also busy painting my growing HeroQuest collection.
The best thing about HeroQuest is …

As much as I like Horrified, the Greek Monster version of Horrified seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. They should have made the board a larger map of Greece rather than keep it to a city, as actual distance is abstract. Also, the characters should have mythic heroes rather than nameless individuals. This would have made it more heroic and less horror.

Yeah, they missed a couple of tricks with H:GM. The character art is dreadful— far too modern in style and in some cases even absurd— the “Hoplite” looks like a punk rocker from ‘80s London. The card backs, however, are terrific.
They should have ditched the Basilisk, which is just another “stone them” monster like Medusa (and has no significant Greek myth) for the Hydra or the Dragon of the Hesperides— or, in a nod to Harryhausen, the Kraken. The Basilisk is a head scratcher. I agree, an isle-themed map could have been fun, placing elements of the myths with their actual origin cultures.
But the game play remains solid, and the different capabilities of the heroes makes for different play choices than the previous two.
And for the record I can’t STAND the art for the Legends— especially Circe. But once you’ve got the standee on the board, you can ignore the art and just move her towards her destination.

Got a few games in tonight. Played a couple of games of Star Wars Unlimited, the TCG, using the 2 player starter first, and then 1 game with a deck I cobbled together out of 6 boosters. Imperial won both games. Was quite fun. First games for both of us.

Then we played Lost Ruins of Arnak, my second play, the other guy's first time playing. We had another fun match, but I will say that the research track seems to really be something you cannot sleep on.

Last we played Super Fantasy Brawl, and both had a blast with it. We used the characters in the core box (I have all expansions), and just picked the characters by random die roll. It was a fun battle, but I managed to pull the win on this one. I'll take 1 out of 4 games as a win, because the main point was experiencing and learning new games with friends. First game for both of us.

So, Super Fantasy Brawl remained on my mind today. I enjoyed the other games. Lost Ruins is a great deckbuilder. But man, Super Fantasy Brawl was a blast to play. Of the board games on my wall of boardgames, that's the one I want to get to the table again next.

Played Odin's Ravens with the 2nd oldest. He didn't care for it but I thought it was a solid 2 player game.

I played my first game of Star Trek Away Missions the other night. We were only playing the QuickStart.

Somewhere I had read it was like some other game. I don't recall what that game was. But what it reminded me of was Warhammer 40K FireTeam combined with scoring like Dark Tales. Unlike FireTeam, which is focused on killing the other guy, Away Missions was much more about just positioning in order to do skill checks with conflict with the other player being near incidental. Whereas FireTeam just had the cards be game setup randomizers, in Away Missions there was a lot more cardplay, but nowhere near an actual cardgame like Dark Tales. However the similarity to Dark Tales was in how scoring was handled and the general feel of each player pursuing their scoring independently while trying to interfere in the pursuit of score by the other player.

My first impression was that it was OK. I'll need to play again to determine if I really like it. With miniature games like this, I really prefer more active combat. For the type of feel I got out of my first game of Away Missions, I think I'd get more entertainment value for my time with Dark Tales, although I wouldn't get the Star Trek theme. And I do have to say the game certainly plays thematically. But the jury is still out. I need to try my hand at the Borg. Plus, I have the Romulan and Klingon team expansions the game was originally launched with, so I'll have to try those after we get into the full rules.

I can say I bought the game blind. When I placed my pre-order a long time ago, I had been under the gross misimpression the game would be something like a co-op Star Trek Zombicide game. Honestly, I do think something like that would have been better with Borg as an AI enemy players work to defeat.

I got to play my first crayon railroad game today. Played Empire Builder. I know these are older games, but I feel like there was a real missed opportunity when Ticket to Ride was big to push it as a great option for those wanting more complexity. Had an absolute blast playing it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back