Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
And that's reasonable, but it doesn't look like a welding helmet. The blast shield doesn't look like anything other than the same completely opaque material of the rest of the helmet.

Yeah, I can't claim it makes complete sense, but that's the "official" explanation from the EU

Hm Han and Chewie have goggles for welding in Empire Strikes Back though...

So you aim with your welder and before you turn it on you pull down the shield for a second or two? Turn off the welder and check your work. Rinse and repeat.

The helmet (other than the blast shield) is very similar to the one Luke (and other Rebel pilots) wears while piloting the X-Wing at the end of the movie. It's the same helmet design. It's just the pilots have a visor and chin strap instead of a blast shield.

So you aim with your welder and before you turn it on you pull down the shield for a second or two? Turn off the welder and check your work. Rinse and repeat.
Considering how hard it can be to aim correctly with a non-reactive protection while welding, I wouldn't want to sit in a vessel repaired with a visor you can't see through at all while welding (but maybe you can get good enough after some practice).

It could also be that it is possible to see through it while actually welding, even if it looks like some sort of weird armor part. But then, why put it on a helmet? For welding during a firefight?

You can see straight down - ie what you are working on,
Considering how hard it can be to aim correctly with a non-reactive protection while welding, I wouldn't want to sit in a vessel repaired with a visor you can't see through at all while welding (but maybe you can get good enough after some practice).

It could also be that it is possible to see through it while actually welding, even if it looks like some sort of weird armor part. But then, why put it on a helmet? For welding during a firefight?

This is just extrapolation on my own, but it looks to me like a "standard" pilot helmet, that normally a person on a ship would be wearing, similar to what x-wing pilots wear.

2ctFu.jpg

You could clearly see straight down pretty easily It would just protect from anything directed straight at or above the face.

There could very easily be a computer screen accessible on it as well.

But that's all just guesswork. Afaik, Lucas never gave a specific answer. It exists because that's what was needed for that scene.

So, more news about the Mandalorian.

So from what I can gather, they're making an old Marvel Star Wars comic run canon. In that, his jet pack malfunctions again, and manages to blow Fett out of the Sarlacc and starts a series of adventures.

It's just an X-wing pilot helmet. I assumed Ben Kenobi modified it for Jedi training.
Well, maybe it's also some form of VR googles on the inside, and it's a fairly standard issue thing. So Solo had one just lying around.

It's just not compatible with the X-wing, so they had to use a clear visor.

That would work for fan-patching for me, unless I hear anything better. The answer "it was what they had access to when filming the scene, and couldn't afford anything else" is just such a boring answer. :grin:

Never thought it required an exegesis.
You do know you're talking with a bunch of nerds on an RPG site, right? :tongue:

There could very easily be a computer screen accessible on it as well.
That's why I'm thinking, and also my explanation of "I can't see anything in this thing" about the Stormtrooper helmet. The lenses in those "Hero helmets" for close up shots were apparently not flat and made everything distorted.

Well, maybe it's also some form of VR googles on the inside, and it's a fairly standard issue thing. So Solo had one just lying around.

It's just not compatible with the X-wing, so they had to use a clear visor.

That would work for fan-patching for me, unless I hear anything better. The answer "it was what they had access to when filming the scene, and couldn't afford anything else" is just such a boring answer. :grin:

You do know you're talking with a bunch of nerds on an RPG site, right? :tongue:
This is what I mean by Star Wars and demanding explanations. It's a minor detail, but like every throwaway character in the background, bit of scenery and stormtrooper banging his head, there are thousands of words of bollocks.

To the point where the last four films with numbers in the titles have all had variations on, "If you read the novelisation, it all gets explained."

Which is bullshit if the first degree. If I need to read a book to understand what and why about a film, the film has failed the one job it had.

/rant

Well. I don't know about the later films, but I don't see why a background detail demands any explanation. It's not a plot hole, it doesn't affect the story in any way. I mean, I don't need to know how landspeeders work, or why random barkeepers dont allow droids in their canteenas, or how a civilization can achieve faster than light travel technology but are ony capable of 480 bps computer imaging to follow the story of the film. I just accept that there's an entire world the story is taking place in and people wouldn't sit around explaining apects of it the same way if a contemporary film somehow made it's way back to the 1950's, they wouldn't find actors pausing in scenes to describe what the internet is or how cellphones work.

But there's obviously other stuff that I will nitpick, so I guess it's more of a personal thing what one is willing to accept offhand vs what destroys suspended disbelief for any viewer.

I don't even think they're necessary answers for the people who write them. It just gets them adulation by the fanatics.

My biggest problem with the prequel trilogy is Padme dying at childbirth. When Luke asks Leia about her mother, she said that she was beautiful but sad. I figured that Padme could have died from a “broken heart” but years after living in the Empire. She could have been a “cousin” of the Alderaanian Royal Family but Leia was told Padme was her mother after she was older. I think it would make more sense than Leia remembering Padme through the Force or however they see it now. We would ever have the duel shots at the end of Revenge of the Sith, one of Kenobi handing Luke off to his aunt and uncle and then see a distraught Padme watching Leia be cuddled by the Organas. Her fate isn’t revealed in the movie, only because Leia had already said that she died young in Return of the Jedi.

My biggest problem with the prequel trilogy is Padme dying at childbirth. When Luke asks Leia about her mother, she said that she was beautiful but sad. I figured that Padme could have died from a “broken heart” but years after living in the Empire. She could have been a “cousin” of the Alderaanian Royal Family but Leia was told Padme was her mother after she was older. I think it would make more sense than Leia remembering Padme through the Force or however they see it now. We would ever have the duel shots at the end of Revenge of the Sith, one of Kenobi handing Luke off to his aunt and uncle and then see a distraught Padme watching Leia be cuddled by the Organas. Her fate isn’t revealed in the movie, only because Leia had already said that she died young in Return of the Jedi.
There's dozens of conflicts like that. It just proves Lucas didn't remember or just didn't care about anything that happening in the OT. All the explanations after are just an attempt to whitewash that fact.

It would have helped if Lucas watched the originals at least once to take some notes before making the prequels.

Anyhow, the helmet has a clear visor but Chewie painted it as prank on Han, who was flat out blinded the next time he pulled it down.

There's dozens of conflicts like that. It just proves Lucas didn't remember or just didn't care about anything that happening in the OT. All the explanations after are just an attempt to whitewash that fact.
It didn't help that episode 3 started filming with an incomplete draft script.

When it comes to nitpicking, plot points and inconsistent characterisation are fair game. But who cares about background detail? It isn't important enough to make any difference.

I think another thing I would have done would have been to make Anakin 16 in The Phantom Menace. Padme was 14 so it would have lined their ages up closer and she could have fallen for this handsome hard-nosed kid from Tatooine. Then ten years later in the next movie he’s 26 and finally pushing thirty by the time of Revenge of Sith. Anakin would have been raised by a single parent as his father left many years to go back to being a smuggler after trying his hand at settling down (kind of foreshadowing Han Solo) and never returning. This kind of upbringing has helped give Anakin a brash quality. He races pods to make some dough to help keep the farm going for his mother. I’m rambling a little but I’ll think of the rest in a bit.

So let’s see where we can go with this. A couple years later Shmi has met a nice man named Lars who owns another moisture farm near the Dune Sea close to Mos Eisley. They get married and she decide to sell her farm and Shmi gives the proceeds to Anakin so that he can buy a ship to get off that rock since he never liked Tatooine anyway (sand and all). As this is all happening, a ship from Coruscant carrying Padme (who we’ll make 18 and a junior senator) and a middle-aged Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi (about 35) land on the planet for repairs near the Skywalker farm. Padme is beautiful but prim and proper young lady and Obi-Wan is a greying wise-cracking Jedi. They are desperate to return to Naboo because of some forceful trade blockade going on. Anakin tells them he will help them. He says he will donate the proceeds from his next race to help fix the ship since he doesn’t need the money for his farm. He says he won’t lose.

Padme likes how confident he is about winning (plus he’s tall and handsome with chiseled features) but to Kenobi it comes across as arrogant, but being kind of that way himself it’s just a man thing. They go to watch Anakin race and Kenobi senses that Anakin is able to use the Force. He thinks that Anakin might make a great Jedi but there’s no way Yoda would go along with it since he’s way too old (Qui-Gon not in this movie). Anakin decides maybe this would be a good time to leave and is smitten with Padme (opposites attract) plus this whole blockade thing sounds kind of like a cool adventure to get involved with. Anakin buys a small fighter from a black market dealer in Mos Espa and heads off to Naboo following the repaired ship. He wishes his mother well and says he may be back some day.

I think another thing I would have done would have been to make Anakin 16 in The Phantom Menace. Padme was 14 so it would have lined their ages up closer and she could have fallen for this handsome hard-nosed kid from Tatooine. Then ten years later in the next movie he’s 26 and finally pushing thirty by the time of Revenge of Sith. Anakin would have been raised by a single parent as his father left many years to go back to being a smuggler after trying his hand at settling down (kind of foreshadowing Han Solo) and never returning. This kind of upbringing has helped give Anakin a brash quality. He races pods to make some dough to help keep the farm going for his mother. I’m rambling a little but I’ll think of the rest in a bit.
Ive said for years, just that one change would make a massive difference. A teenager fixing cars and racing bangers is something easily relatable. I knew people like that when I was at school. And him having a ten year crush on the unattainable Amidala is also easy to understand.

Of course, all three prequels needed a screenwriter to fix dialog and a 5 year old to spot plot holes, but Lottle Orphan Ani is, for me, the biggest issue.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back