Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
At this point, any copy of the original trilogy I can get my hands on legally is already so remade that it feels off to me. Lucas has already thrown the greatest special-effects work of the '70s in the dustbin of history. Might as well replace the whole thing.
In the subsequent 40-odd years, the industry has grown a great deal in technology for visual effects, but Star Wars shook up the industry like nothing before or since. Even the big CGI ground-breakers like Jurassic Park or T2 didn't have the seismic effect Star Wars did. Lucas's re-working has been a fairly pointless exercise and hasn't improved it at all; I'm not sure whether it was just tinkering or a money grab to find a pretext to issue new releases.

I don't think it was a moneygrab on Lucas's part, I think he genuinely saw it as a way to improve issues he always had with the films, and things got out of hand from there. For example, we know that Lucas always hated the Tatoine bar sequence - it just fell short somehow of what he imagined.From there we had "oh what if I can insert deleted scenes that didn't work?" and then we have ?CGI Dewbacks passing in front of the camera nonsensically.

I think, fundamentally, Speilsberg's changes to ET were even worse, because they were so the actions of a coddled milquetoast in direct contradiction to the intensity of a young director. It was self-censorship of his younger self.

With Lucas, I think he just had no restraint, it was like a big kid who started out with a paint set and then suddenly discovered a bedazzler.

Oooooh bedazzlers!!! Weeeeee!!!

A little dewback here, a little Han stepping on Jabba’s tail there. The possibilities are endless!
I cant believe he didn't see the rushes of the landspeeder driving in to Mos Eisley and think, this looks like a cartoon.

I cant believe he didn't see the rushes of the landspeeder driving in to Mos Eisley and think, this looks like a cartoon.

Yeah, that didn’t look good. Jabba’s tail is the worst, but that is up there.

I think, fundamentally, Speilsberg's changes to ET were even worse, because they were so the actions of a coddled milquetoast in direct contradiction to the intensity of a young director. It was self-censorship of his younger self.

With Lucas, I think he just had no restraint, it was like a big kid who started out with a paint set and then suddenly discovered a bedazzler.

I rewatched ET recently and didn't notice any changes. Perhaps like Close Encounters, for me the greatest of early Spielberg, he decided to reverse the changes.

I rewatched ET recently and didn't notice any changes. Perhaps like Close Encounters, for me the greatest of early Spielberg, he decided to reverse the changes.

Apparently Speilsberg eventually expressed remorse over bowdlerizing his own film, and the changes were reverted for the Blu-Ray release.

"I was disappointed in myself," Spielberg said in September 2011. "I was overly sensitive to some of the criticism E.T. got from parent groups when it was first released in '82 having to do with Eliott saying 'penis breath' or the guns, and I thought [if I change some things] ... it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved 'E.T.' of their memories of 'E.T.'"

It's too bad Lucas never had this same introspection and as far as I know Disney has never done a full release of the original versions on home media. I thought I heard some of the original versions were released as special features on the special edition Blu-rays though?

I have bootleg DVDs created from the laserdiscs.

Fans are petitioning for Sebastian Stan of MCU fame to take on the role of Luke Skywalker in the Mandalorian at some point in time. I believe that Mark has jokingly referred to Stan as his son.

A photographic comparison of the two:

View attachment 24639
Why is this necessary? Isn't the Mandalorian set closer to the time of the Force Awakens anyway?

Gotta say that Bo-Katan has aged really well then, given the time difference between Siege of Mandalore to Mando

It's too bad Lucas never had this same introspection and as far as I know Disney has never done a full release of the original versions on home media. I thought I heard some of the original versions were released as special features on the special edition Blu-rays though?

One of the last DVD releases (still under Lucas) were dual packs with the special edition on one disc and then a bonus disc with the "originals" in SD 4:3 letterboxed format.

I've had horrible luck with those bonus discs. I think I got 2 plays out of each of them before they started locking up or skipping. I've hardly ever had discs get like that, and never after so few plays.

Gotta say that Bo-Katan has aged really well then, given the time difference between Siege of Mandalore to Mando

She was probably 25 tops at the end of the Clone Wars. So she’s 54-55ish in the Mandalorian. Keeping your skin covered a lot helps keep the sun damage away too. Obi-Wan was only 57 in ANH, but looked a lot older from those Tatooine suns.

In Real Life, Katie Sackhoff is 40, so she's not that young.

New Episode Out Today...boy, here we go...

So, we finally get to see Boba Fett in action! And it turns out he has a legit claim to the armor. And I found the character more interesting in this episode than any of the Star Wars movies.

It looks like Dark Troopers are now official, as they appeared as well.

Things are heating up...and it was good to see some of Grogu's full powers in this episode.

Only minor quibble I had, super picky, was that I’d have liked Tython to had a few more ruins as he flew over. Maybe had the fight with the stormtroopers in the wreckage of an ancient city/building.

Apparently on next week's episode Diane and Sam finally admit their feelings, while Norm cheers Cliffy up after a midlife crisis. Meanwhile Frodo takes the ring to Mordor

I really wish I could have resisted watching the Mandalorian episodes weekly so I didn't have this huge frustration after one ends.

Eh, patience is a virtue. Also, this is the type of stuff that gets excitement built. It's not like waiting between the movies, or even for the next season.

We only have two episodes left, I suspect they are going to be pretty exciting.

I liked this week’s episode. I get the feeling that some Jedi is going to show up to save the day, maybe not in this season, but maybe the next.

Try, delayed gratification leads to increased anticipation. And therefore greater satisfaction.

Yeah, I'm not 16 years old, I lived most of my life with TV schedules before the internet. The only thing that will happen between now and next week is that I'll get busy thinking about other things and all the dramatic tension built up will disipate. It's a sub-optimal viewing experience.

BBY is before the Battle of Yavin (ie. Episode 4, A New Hope)
BBY counts backwards, like B.C.

So 5-0 BBY is the 5 year period before the first movie.

Of course anyone using that as a time divider just makes no sense. The overthrow of The Empire in RotJ would be a more logical division.

Of course anyone using that as a time divider just makes no sense. The overthrow of The Empire in RotJ would be a more logical division.
That's always something that bugged me about the dateing system in Star Wars. It's a big event, but wouldn't they just keep the calendar from the previous republic? Why the sudden need to make everything a lead up to the first death star blowing up?

Watching Rebels. The first few episodes were rough going, not bad per se, but obviously aimed at a much younger audience than most entertainment I digest these days. The first episode overused the music, to the point it was almosat painful. But as of episode 5 it seems to have calmed down a bit and is confident enough in the story to lead events over non-stop "action". I like most of the main characters. Not sure what's up with the Mandalorian, she seems like the cool older sister punk-type, but doesn't come across very...Mandalorian at all. The pilot is yet to get any character development.

When C3P0 and R2D2 showed up I expected they were going to join the cast, but luckily it seems it was just a guest appearance.

I don't like the CGI wookies. They remind me of....Gumby.

The main character is...likeable. Headstrong, but not bratty enough to be annoying. Young, but jaded enough to not be too childish. Once again, it's all about Jedi - which I always feels dilutes Luke's story, but I guess I'm probably alone in wanting a non-Jedi Star Wars show, made my peace with that this season of the Mandalorian.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back