Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Maybe this is the right place to ask this…

Has anyone been to The Empire Strips Back burlesque show and if so how was it?

I dunno if a roleplaying forum full of middle aged nerds is the right place to get any info on Burlesque shows, lol, but as it happens I have a few friends heavy in the burlesque scene, so I'll DM them and see if they've heard anything about it.

I dunno if a roleplaying forum full of middle aged nerds is the right place to get any info on Burlesque shows, lol, but as it happens I have a few friends heavy in the burlesque scene, so I'll DM them and see if they've heard anything about it.
I appreciate it, it will be coming nearby and might be fun. I still regret not getting to see the Evil Dead Musical (yes, slightly different audience)

The recent 'Identity Crisis' episode of Bad Batch was really excellent, beautiful animation and while heartugging in the extreme, particularly for parents, it is also relatively subtle for a kid's show.
I just watched it. That was one of the most disturbing episodes I’ve seen in any Star Wars media. I had a tear for those “specimens”.

I feel like the end of the Bad Batch is not going to be pleasant.

I just watched it. That was one of the most disturbing episodes I’ve seen in any Star Wars media. I had a tear for those “specimens”.

I feel like the end of the Bad Batch is not going to be pleasant.
It's already not pleasant for me. I'm just coming to the realization that Tech is really gone.

It's already not pleasant for me. I'm just coming to the realization that Tech is really gone.

While I haven't gotten through the whole season, I was really hoping that they would hold the line on that one. It set a tone, and also was exactly on spot for Tech's character.

Re: The Empire Strips Back.

There are still Emperor front row tickets on sale for San Francisco this summer, but is anyone familiar with the Great Star Theater there? Or Jackson St in general? It looks a lot seedier than the burlesque temples in Paris or other Euro places I know; more like a redlight district. And kinda smallish, 450 seats so maybe the view will be adequate from the cheaper spots.
Of course, if the room is packed with rowdy, wookie cosplaying frat boys, I may be better to select a better spot.
Screenshot_20240405_180018_Maps.jpg
Oh, there's restaurants too, for late snack after the show!
Tempting. Another one of these experiences most tourists will never sample.

Last edited:

There are still Emperor front row tickets on sale for San Francisco this summer, but is anyone familiar with the Great Star Theater there? Or Jackson St in general? It looks a lot seedier than the burlesque temples in Paris or other Euro places I know; more like a redlight district. And kinda smallish, 450 seats so maybe the view will be adequate from the cheaper spots.
Of course, if the room is packed with rowdy, wookie cosplaying frat boys, I may be better to select a better spot.
View attachment 80360

It's an old Chinatown theatre ran by a non-profit, looks cool to me:

Last few episodes of The Bad Batch have continued to be excellent with lots of effective use of suspense.

As Endless Flight Endless Flight has noted there is definitely some dark foreshadowing that while Omega will get free the rest of the Batch may not make it.

Which if so will make me quite sad, showing that the show really has its hooks in me. Everytime Omega refers to the others as her brothers it used to melt my heart but now I'm afraid it's going to break it.

The animation continues to look so good so consistently that it is something one could too easily overlook. I'd love to see this team tackle a feature so I could see this ainmation on the big screen but I assume after the first unsuccessful Clone Wars feature they are gunshy about taking that 'risk.'

Andor and BB may be my favourite non-Empire-Strikes-Back Star Wars now.

Last edited:
As @
Endless Flight
Endless Flight has noted there is definitely some dark foreshadowing that while Omega will get free the rest of the Batch may not make it.
Which will actually be quite poignant because of them questioning their purpose... if their purpose is to die for the sister that they care so much about, I'm sure they will think it's a good death. She's all they never had the chance to be.

Last edited:
Rampart will be a double-edged sword, I think. He’s going to help them free Omega but it might also be him turning on them that causes their demise. I do believe that Tantiss base will be destroyed or severely damaged enough that the clone sampling will be set back permanently. I imagine that Hemlock might get killed and Emerie might sacrifice herself for the children.

Rampart will be a double-edged sword, I think. He’s going to help them free Omega but it might also be him turning on them that causes their demise. I do believe that Tantiss base will be destroyed or severely damaged enough that the clone sampling will be set back permanently. I imagine that Hemlock might get killed and Emerie might sacrifice herself for the children.
My guess is that chekovs Zillo Beast is going to be the one to destroy Tantiss.

View attachment 80360

The city has been going through some stress of late, but that is smack dab in Chinatown next to the Financial District. You should be fine. In fact I would recommend (if taking BART) to get off at Montgomery Street Station, walk up north on Montgomery street, see the tall buildings and walk by the Transamerica Pyramid, and near Columbus St as it turns NW, walk up into Chinatown and get to the theater (a little uphill but not bad). From there after the show you can enjoy food and drink in Chinatown, go West a few streets to Stockton St. for Chinatown proper tourist attraction shots. You can walk S from there to hit a nice pub called the Irish Bank (if it is still there), then continue downhill and walk through the Union Square plaza where good shopping used to be and might still be. Then you can head on back down S through to Powell Street Station for BART and the Cable Car turntable.

There's a lot more to do, but I don't know your tolerance level for "Streetwise" (no, I mean real streetwise :gunslinger:) and that area from the Tenderloin and the 6th Street flagella of poverty is extremely close to Nob Hill and Union Square and Civic Center. Part of my old stomping grounds, including the Tenderloin, so I am not worried if I went, but not something I'd throw an acquaintance in without guidance if they are not ready or willing. Don't be afraid of the city (you'll look like an easy victim), but remember, it still is a city, and all drugs and weaponry is on the table -- and EMS acts like the media, if it bleeds it leads. My above takes you through the big business money, lived-in tourist trap (that live-in use provides eyes, thus security), and luxury goods market, so should be safer even given the recent roughness of late.

Last edited:
I really liked that last episode of the Batch. I was actually surprised by some of the developments but others I knew were going to happen. I got a tear in my eye at the end, I can’t deny.

Yeah, no big spoilers but it resolved in an emotionally satisfying way appropriate for Star Wars and a show for kids.

The special clone troopers felt actually dangerous and scary. The whole hand thing between Hemlock and Crosshair was left for future explanation unless I missed something.

Nala Se's fate was both sad and stirring. This series made the Kaminoans far more interesting than they were in the films, just as Clone Wars made the clones far more interesting.

Looking forward to whatever the next series will be, seems like they've set it up for a series about Omega among the Rebel forces.

I wish we had contemporary tv animation of this quality as a kid in the 80s.

Thankfully we had the classic animation of Looney Tunes as kids but when I look back at the contemporary Saturday morning cartoons of the period they are a bit campy but mostly terrible.

Astro Boy, Star Blazers and Robotech were the big exceptions. Even as a kid you could tell how much better they were both in animation and storytelling. But these days I think US animation for kids is much better than the mediocrity that dominates modernday tv anime.

Last edited:
Yeah at the time I didn't realize that at all. Wonder if I could see the seams more as an adult? I need to revisit it.
That would be interesting, do a watch intentionally looking for the seams. I have all the novels and honestly will probably just reread them but if you do try I I’d love to hear what you come up with.

I absolutely loved the veritech as a kid but disliked the cartoon. Too soap opera-y with Rick, Lisa and Minmei. Jack Archer from Battlecry was way cooler! :evil:

I absolutely loved the veritech as a kid but disliked the cartoon. Too soap opera-y with Rick, Lisa and Minmei. Jack Archer from Battlecry was way cooler! :evil:

For me the soap opera elements in it and Star Blazers was a big part of the attraction. Ditto in the X-men comics of the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
I went to see The Phantom Menace for the eighth and final time today. I can’t sit through a sitting any longer. It’s not because I don’t enjoy it at times. Indeed, I even still laugh at Jar Jar sticking his bill into the energy binders on the pod racer. I just saw it so many times in 1999 that its burned into my memory. I barely made it through today. But I am by myself this week and I thought what the hell.

It looks to be doing well; it’s going to finish #3 at the box office this weekend with a $7.2M dollar haul. If my memory is correct, it was the 30th time I’ve seen a Star Wars movie in a theater. Quite a ride since 1977.

I really enjoyed Tales of the Jedi and look forward to 'binging' the Tales of the Empire shorts today.

I really liked the Barriss arc and the ending is particularly gutsy and well done, sure to piss off the more literal minded 'fans' I would think.

I didn't remember who Elsbeth was at first but the scene of her as a kid during the massacre on Dathomir was really good as well.

Animation was top notch as usual these days.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back