What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I made a Star Wars Intro for the playtest adventure, since I'm going to run it for a couple more local groups, hopefully. I also plan to run it next month on the Open RPG Day.
Playtesting can be fun:grin:!
Admittedly, the above link is in Bulgarian. I guess I should make an English version for you, guys...:thumbsup:

Here it is - and it doubles as a slight infodump::honkhonk:!

The geese beg to differ.
There are geese on the forum:shock:!?!

Last edited:
Thanks! But I think it's best to keep things as they are. He has replied to my comment on the video but I'd rather he'd done his research beforehand. Like I said, it's really not that hard to do.

I made a Star Wars Intro for the playtest adventure, since I'm going to run it for a couple more local groups, hopefully. I also plan to run it next month on the Open RPG Day.
Playtesting can be fun:grin:!
Admittedly, the above link is in Bulgarian. I guess I should make an English version for you, guys...:thumbsup:

Here it is - and it doubles as a slight infodump::honkhonk:!

There are geese on the forum:shock:!?!

1. Very cool
2. How did you reist not adding ...
1708269720116.png

Martial Arts In Metahumans Rising Part 22: ITF Taekwondo

Kick high, kick hard, and fly at foes with ITF Taekwondo. Dance through the battlefield setting up foes for devastating aerials, and look good doing it.

There's been some backpedalling so I don't know how long the video will remain on-line as is. As this has happened to me a few times before I am getting used to hearing all of the excuses, but at the end of the day it would've been nice just to have been asked! :smile:

There's been some backpedalling so I don't know how long the video will remain on-line as is. As this has happened to me a few times before I am getting used to hearing all of the excuses, but at the end of the day it would've been nice just to have been asked! :smile:

It's so easy to do the right fucking thing, so just do the right fucking thing! It should be pretty common knowledge that you can't steal other people's shit. We learn this in kindergarten!

Anywho, the right thing for them to do would be to update the video, and specifically acknowledge all the artists, and post links to their sites in the comments. Hopefully, they do so...

Dan Masters made an announcement and apologised for using the artwork without consent. He says the artist declined to be credited now, so he will be updating the video with re-edited artwork, and has asked for fan submissions that he can use.

Yeah, I've just been made aware of that. The language he uses is a little off, seeing that it's apparently my 'loss' and that I'm 'vexed'. This implies that he doesn't think he's in the wrong and that somehow I'm the bad guy. He's thus ticked the third and final box of the 'People Who Get Caught Out Doing Something They Shouldn't' challenge. All a bit strange really, but this isn't the first time and probably not the last time this will happen to me. Still, I'm very grateful I was told all about this as up until this point I'd never even heard of the bloke.

Anywho, the right thing for them to do would be to update the video, and specifically acknowledge all the artists, and post links to their sites in the comments. Hopefully, they do so...

He did backpedal and offer to do that, but tbh he should've just spent 10 seconds doing a reverse image search and finding out who I am. There's no excuse not to in this day and age. But apparently I'm the bad guy *shrugs*.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what his stance is regarding generative AI and artist compensation. Wouldn't be surprising at all for him to be fully in support of that, yet he can't be bothered to ask, license, or credit artists when he uses their work for his own videos.

The video (now taken down) used my stuff, some AI art and some pieces by Sutherland and Holloway. None of them were credited. He did later cite fair use but that doesn't mean he just ignore requests to have a person's work removed from his content. I'm glad it's all over now anyone and, once again, I'm very grateful that other people have backed me up on this. I'm just a hobbyist rpg artist now but I hate to think that the more active artists out there might have to experience this sort of malarky.

For tonights Spacemaster adventure, we had our first firefight. The first shot hit one of ours in the neck, critting him and causing him to bleed 12 hit points per round. We all thought he was goners for sure... BUT, the pilot was able to miraculously revive him after 2 rounds by rolling an open ended 212 on the die!

On the other hand, my character landed a perfect hit with a grenade by rolling an open ended 'critical hit'. But when rolling for the second time (for whatever the game reasons are for rolling a second time), I managed to roll an 04, which is bad. The GM told me that if I should've rolled an 02 or less, the grenade would've exploded in my hand. I smell a lot of GM fiat going on, and it is going our way despite the system.

Yeah, swingy systems are a favourite for some, but if a perfect grenade toss on my part still has the chance of blowing me up... I'm not a fan.

Having played MERP and run Cyber Space quite a lot - and Space Master is the same ICE system iirc - that sounds wrong...

Having played MERP and run Cyber Space quite a lot - and Space Master is the same ICE system iirc - that sounds wrong...
I think I've played ICE for a whole session or so...but it sounds wrong regardless of the system:grin:!

Yeah, swingy systems are a favourite for some, but if a perfect grenade toss on my part still has the chance of blowing me up... I'm not a fan.
I suppose that then it becomes a question of 'perfect for whom.':smile:

I'm reading a FB discussion where people that started DMing "long ago, in 2020", are giving advice to new(er?) DMs...:shade:

I'm unsurprisingly surprised at how disappointingly wrong the proferred advice is:thumbsup:!

I'm reading a FB discussion where people that started DMing "long ago, in 2020", are giving advice to new(er?) DMs...:shade:

I'm unsurprisingly surprised at how disappointingly wrong the proferred advice is:thumbsup:!

Threeish years can generate some good insight. Especially now that we have the internet. My first three years as a GM involved a backpack full of books, maps, notes with only my own thoughts, and no one to talk through ideas. Today, if a GM needs help there are so many places online to get assistance, not to mention podcasts and other APs, not even counting Dimension 20 or that other one that can show you how a game may play.

All that said, give us some of these pearls of wisdom.

Pimpin' ain't easy.
Tell me about it...:shade:
Threeish years can generate some good insight. Especially now that we have the internet. My first three years as a GM involved a backpack full of books, maps, notes with only my own thoughts, and no one to talk through ideas. Today, if a GM needs help there are so many places online to get assistance, not to mention podcasts and other APs, not even counting Dimension 20 or that other one that can show you how a game may play.
Believe me, that's not the case if all you follow is the WotC's Twitter...:gooseshades:

All that said, give us some of these pearls of wisdom.
I wouldn't want to put them on the spot. But the guy who says "make a dungeon with three rooms, fight, exploration/roleplay, another fight" and then advises as a structure "dumb down the fights"...:shock:

- First Encounter - You start with a battle - If you let the players talk to their NPCs at the beginning, the whole game goes into talking to your NPC.They'll be opinionated, quarrelsome, talk to you all at once, and you'll have to roll checks to see if they believe you or not. Hours later you'll realize my comment about One-Shot scenarios above (omitted by me, it was something like "running out of time is almost guaranteed" - Asen).

If you start them with a fight, the mechanics of the fight will prevail, have initiative and play one after the other. Use the dumbest monsters that have one attack and nothing complicated. Goblins, Orks, period. At most an archer or mage with one spell. You don't do complicated things like flank, cones, forget there are conditionals, your monsters don't have bonus actions.When it's your turn, all the monsters grab a player and hit for 10 demage and that's it. In preparation, write down possible outcomes for the end of the battle.For example - players kill bad guys, players ally with bad guys, players bargain with bad guys. Whatever they do, the outcome of the battle should point to the next encounter and only the next encounter.We don't use free choice and imagination here.Take a piece of paper and a pencil and write on it the health points of each monster. After each attack, subtract the points you make and that's it.
- Second encounter - Role play or exploration - You describe the room to them, the carpets with secret lids, the drawers with locks, the NPC that warns them something or a puzzle/puzzle they have to solve.
Use the moment to rest, the first encounter was quite difficult. Let the players play and talk to each other. You can also write out possible ways out of the situation. For example - players have to solve a riddle to open a secret door.If they solve it, the door opens and they go to the boss.If they don't solve it, the door opens and the boss comes to them. If they run out of time, the door opens and the boss comes to them.
- Third Encounter - Final Battle - Tick you drop the same group of monsters as the first enchanter, but you have a BOSS who does ONE special ability. For example, an attack that is a cone and covers all of the 30 feats in front of it.You don't need your boss to talk. After another 40 minutes of combat, the game ends with a reward of a flask of HP and/or a spel scroll.Congratulations, you're now a DM!
What shouldn't be in your first DM game?
- You don't touch anything from the players backstory.
- You don't give them super cool items.
- You don't do twisted mystery type scenarios.
- You don't do anything that needs to convey atmosphere (horror, thriller, etc).

When you lead for the first time with experienced players, they will be lenient with you. Don't overdo it.

I started rpging in 82 and by 85 felt like I was in full swing with all of it. However, this meant that I then had to be the referee for a bunch of other rpgs aside from D&D and Star Frontiers. I think at one point by 1986 I was running Star Frontiers, Call of Cthulhu, Twilight: 2000 and testing a homebrew car combat game. And still had time to go down the pub! :sweat: :hehe:

From what I remember of ICE crits is that the second roll is added to the first crit roll, then you look at the combined number on the relevant table. Mind you, that's me trying to remember something from the last time I played an ICE-based system, which was 10 years ago. If the crit is for a failure than then there's a chance a grenade could go off in your hand. But, again, I might be remembering it wrong.

Cyberspace and MERP are in the same simplified version. Space Master and Role Master are the more advanced version.

Tell me about it...:shade:

Believe me, that's not the case if all you follow is the WotC's Twitter...:gooseshades:

I wouldn't want to put them on the spot. But the guy who says "make a dungeon with three rooms, fight, exploration/roleplay, another fight" and then advises as a structure "dumb down the fights"...:shock:

:grin::smile::trigger::cry::weep:

That has to be sarcasm. There is no way that is honest advice.

Cyberspace and MERP are in the same simplified version. Space Master and Role Master are the more advanced version.

Does the crit stuff vary wildly from the simple to advanced version. I think I've only ever rolled up a Role Master character but not played it, many moons ago. Either way, a crit success shouldn't be close to a crit failure AFAIK.

Does the crit stuff vary wildly from the simple to advanced version. I think I've only ever rolled up a Role Master character but not played it, many moons ago. Either way, a crit success shouldn't be close to a crit failure AFAIK.
Both of them are a simple percentage in most cases. Crit rolls are only added on large tables for stuff- normally it's a simple 01-00.

:grin::smile::trigger::cry::weep:

That has to be sarcasm. There is no way that is honest advice.
Just to disappoint you further: and then the guy who told him that this is too constrained advised "and if they decide to kill the seer, just turn the seer into a shapeshifted bugbear, and bingo, your planned combat encounter is here"...:shade:

This time, I unloaded from the side guns, and promised them I'm going to make a life event with "advice for GMs":gunslinger:!

For tonights Spacemaster adventure, we had our first firefight. The first shot hit one of ours in the neck, critting him and causing him to bleed 12 hit points per round. We all thought he was goners for sure... BUT, the pilot was able to miraculously revive him after 2 rounds by rolling an open ended 212 on the die!

On the other hand, my character landed a perfect hit with a grenade by rolling an open ended 'critical hit'. But when rolling for the second time (for whatever the game reasons are for rolling a second time), I managed to roll an 04, which is bad. The GM told me that if I should've rolled an 02 or less, the grenade would've exploded in my hand. I smell a lot of GM fiat going on, and it is going our way despite the system.

I'm with the others on this. Now, RM/SM/MERP do have some wierdness with things like grenades and fireballs that attack multiple targets, because that means multiple chances for something to go wrong, but a sensible GM would only have an actual fumble occur on the first attack roll (or use the same roll vs everyone).

Also, if this is SM2 a roll (unmodified) of 01-05 means a fumble, and then you roll again (d100, not open-ended) on the relevant fumble table. There's no specific column for grenade fumbles, so you'd use the 'thrown arms' column, which does have a number of entries that involve dropping the thing.

My actual ruling on this, back when we played, was that a fumble on the attack roll just meant the explosive didn't affect that target, or any target further away from it (so always rolling from the closest target and then outwards) - something taken from Aftermath! (I think). No need for the fumble tables, amusing thought they might be, as terrible rolls when throwing the thing can result in it landing at your feet (or even behind you) anyway, so that sort of thing is already covered. SM, etc. are already very swingy and even-handed about handing out horrible, horrible deaths, without adding even more fumble opportunities.

...and, on the FB drama, seems like my post got deleted mysteriously:shade:.
While texting a gaming buddy last night, I typo'd "Timkerbell" rather than "Tinkerbell." It is now my headcanon that Tinkerbell has a fraternal twin named Timkerbell. Timkerbell will be making an appearance in my campaign.
That's how many great NPCs have been created:grin:!

FB drama?

FaceBook I assumed.
It is Facebook indeed. As described in a previous post, someone started a thread "advice for newbie GMs" in a local FB group. I was dumbfounded by the advice offered, and shared said fact (and as you can see in this post, where I translate part of the advice, so was Certified Certified ).

...I've now started a Facebook Live event on Saturday. I'm still sick, but I can at least give some advice without leaving home.
Yes, that means I don't get to play this week, life is cruel that way:crygoose:.

While texting a gaming buddy last night, I typo'd "Timkerbell" rather than "Tinkerbell." It is now my headcanon that Tinkerbell has a fraternal twin named Timkerbell. Timkerbell will be making an appearance in my campaign.

You *know* you have to make Timkerbell a Shadowrun style troll, right? Or at least an ogre!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back