What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Tug of War, 1982, which seems largely forgotten or at least I never hear it mentioned anymore.

The one for John that seemed to go unnoticed at the time is now acknowledged as one of his best:

I wish I could say this only spoke to me because of the Mellotron:

Talking Heads: 77

Such a bizarre record lurking beneath such catchy melodies. It's rare for a band to come along sounding completely unique and fully formed.

Pat Benatar:

I love some Pat Benatar. My favorite of her tracks is "We Belong." Obviously she has a fantastic voice and phrasing, but this song has interesting instrumentation and production choices and doesn't sound like anything else before or since. I always like hearing music that could be by no one else.

To continue the current theme, and because I'm in a somewhat melancholy mood:

Strange synchronicity: I was listening to the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and then some of the better "Britpop," which led to me looking up some stuff on YouTube for records I don't own and lo and behold, a brand new video from Sleeper, who apparently are back with a new album after 22 years of Louise being a novelist instead of a singer-songwriter. Not bad at all, I like it better than Sleeper's mid-'90s material.

The performance really starts at about 1:30:

And a Beatles cover:

I cannot stand Morrissey but quite like Marr. He also gained more points from me by being a fan and promoter of the great Bert Jansch.

Rainbow in the Dark by Dio
I've been expanding my musical horizons and Metal Machine, one of my favorite Sabaton Songs, makes a reference to Rainbow in the dark so I figured I'd check it out.
As a bonus here's Metal Machine by Sabaton:

Make of this what you will. I thoroughly enjoy the videos and the songs but I'm sure some people will hate them both. Despite some odd trappings, these are straight-ahead pop songs.

Pro-tip: Go to youtube, search for "music" and click on the first mix that it puts together for you. If you've watched/heard a fair amount of music on YT, it does a pretty good job of finding songs that you'll like; it's about 50/50 on the hit-or-miss for me with the stuff I've never heard before.

I wondered how this girl I hadn’t heard of was getting almost as many views as Taylor Swift on Tiny Desk. Apparently she is the most streamed woman RnB artist, only 23, I’m digging her Stoned Soul in this set.

Exit/Poland/Logos/White Eagle (slightly less) represent Tangerine Dream's 'main sequence', IMO. Their earlier stuff is largely experimental and rubbish. Their later stuff has its moments but becomes more prosaic. Exit, imo, is the ultimate cyberpunk soundtrack

No. 1 in Japan in 1978, but I never heard it until today:

There's some great performances on there, but also quite a few that are just a bit too hipstery-cringy for my taste.

I find some of the rock in there too middle-of-the-road for my tastes but that may just because I find myself preferring soul and hip-hop from the states these days and those rock bands I do like are probably too loud and punk for Tiny Desk.

There's some great performances on there, but also quite a few that are just a bit too hipstery-cringy for my taste.
There's definitely plenty of that, but I'd always rather see someone try to do something interesting and fail than listen to something safe and boring. Also, my threshold for weirdness is definitely higher than that of most people.

My wife's a huge Nine Inch Nails fan, but she doesn't really like the most recent stuff.

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot
Fun story about this one - that recording is the first time that Gordon and the band had played the song all the way through together. They tried for weeks afterward to lay down another take, but could never get it to sound quite the same.

Coldplay’s new album is surprisingly good...

Celebrity covers are so...... so.... something, yeah something that is the word for it.

Not sure what it is when a celebrity parody covers a celebrity cover.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back