Which new release are you looking forward to in 2023?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

SJB

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to the release of the final part of the Road to Monsterberg by Codex Integrum. I’m interested in the dénouement, and think Silesia makes a great historical fantasy setting.

I’ll also be fascinated by any developments in the Monolith Conan RPG. I’m not sure we celebrated the demise of 2d20 Conan fulsomely enough.

It isn't new to 2023 but it's new to me. Bedrock Games gave me a PDF of Strange Tales of Songling. It is so good I ordered a paper copy from Noble Knight, requested an English translation of Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling from my library, and plan to watch all three chapters of
A Chinese Ghost Story on Amazon. These ghost stories seem like the perfect thing for a snowy winter break and I love the combo of RPG, book, and movies. I hope Brendan has more plans for this game in 2023.

1672058396915.png

I am looking forward to Monolith’s Batman RPG which should be released this year. I am a big fan of True20 and Mutants and Masterminds, and I like what I have seen so far as it seems even more streamlined. It should also give some insight into Monolith’s Conan RPG, which I am also excite for, though I don’t expect that to be released until 2024.

86AF59FF-B1CB-4B6C-A40A-479E6DB8EE87.jpeg

Also pretty excited for Brindlewood Bay. Thursday Murder Bookclub meets Cthulhu is a great combo and the rules are magnificent.

Last edited:
It isn't new to 2023 but it's new to me. Bedrock Games gave me a PDF of Strange Tales of Songling. It is so good I ordered a paper copy from Noble Knight, requested an English translation of Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling from my library, and plan to watch all three chapters of
A Chinese Ghost Story on Amazon. These ghost stories seem like the perfect thing for a snowy winter break and I love the combo of RPG, book, and movies. I hope Brendan has more plans for this game in 2023.

View attachment 53584

Thanks. I appreciate it. I don't have anything planned for Strange Tales of Songling (there is a small sandbox adventure for it on the Blog though that was originally intended to be published). I do occasionally put up adventures for it on the blog as well. I'm now working on Strange Tales New England, which uses the same basic system but is for a modern supernatural setting.

I'm looking forward to stuff I backed on Kickstarter: Pirate Borg, Castaway, Wasteland Sagas, Dicey Tales, An Occurence at Howling Crater for DCC/MCC, Blue Planet: Recontact, Big Sword: Graves & Groves, and Korg.

I'm not sure. I want to see what Marvel Multiverse will be like when finished, but it's not a big drive for me (I still think Faserip is the best Marvel RPG ever.) Other than that? I'm waiting to see? I want to see the Talislanta Kickstarter (even if with three books it won't likely release for a couple of years.)

I'm looking forward to hard copies of Trophy (Dark, Gold, & Loom) and Brindlewood Bay. Some folks have already been getting the Trophy kickstarter stuff.

Also looking forward to Salvage Union and Urban Shadows 2E.

Household RPG.

Looking forward to Robotech: Homefront (which is now half a year late), but honestly a lot more excited to get all the Household goodies.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I don't have anything planned for Strange Tales of Songling (there is a small sandbox adventure for it on the Blog though that was originally intended to be published). I do occasionally put up adventures for it on the blog as well. I'm now working on Strange Tales New England, which uses the same basic system but is for a modern supernatural setting.
Is that modern as in contemporary, Biden’s America, etc?

Brindlewood Bay (backed, and awaiting hardcopy delivery)
RQG Gods of Glorantha
Possibly Rivers Of London
Anything for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4E, Numenera/Cypher, and Vaesen
Mythras Mythic Greece (...I may be waiting quite a bit)

Last edited:
RQG Gods of Glorantha

What do you think of WFRP 4E? I wanted to run the new Enemy Within but all the bennies the PCs get seemed like a lot. It was more than just Fate Points if I'm remembering correctly.

The main one for me right now is probably Cities Wirhour Number from Sine Nomine, which will be a cyberpunk game. Very curious to see how Crawford will handle that, having liked his other games that I've seen.

The main one for me right now is probably Cities Wirhour Number from Sine Nomine, which will be a cyberpunk game. Very curious to see how Crawford will handle that, having liked his other games that I've seen.
I do wonder if KC is losing a bit off his fast ball (still haven’t recovered from Wolves of God or the abandonment of Elizabethan London). Mind you, I’ll probably get it, giving that it will be better than nearly anything else D&D related.

I'm looking forward to Household, getting the final print version of Dragonbane, and after this thread, Strange Tales of New England :smile:

Reactions: SJB
RQG Gods of Glorantha
Who is on writing duties for Mythic Greece? I think that’s an addition to the Mythic line that everyone will get behind.

I do wonder if KC is losing a bit off his fast ball (still haven’t recovered from Wolves of God or the abandonment of Elizabethan London). Mind you, I’ll probably get it, giving that it will be better than nearly anything else D&D related.

I thought the Elizabethan London game was more of a potential future publication rather than something that had definite plans. As for Wolves of God, I haven't picked that one up yet, but it looks interesting.

I'm looking forward to the Dolmenwood kickstarter that is slated for 2023. I've been really enjoying and impressed by all the OSE official offerings - the production value is consistently excellent, the small-hardback format is wonderful for use at the table and for reading/reference between sessions, and the editorial approach to organizing and presenting rules-relevant materials is unparalleled. Add to that the distinctive creative angle of a setting that really leans into classic fairytale type settings and I think it should be a winner. The materials I've seen so far remind me of what I imagine would be great for a Prydain campaign or something similar.

What do you think of WFRP 4E? I wanted to run the new Enemy Within but all the bennies the PCs get seemed like a lot. It was more than just Fate Points if I'm remembering correctly.
Yeah I totally agree that the game designers should of just kept one set of bennies (Fate Pts) like in WFRP 2E.

It's just fiddily having 4 sets of bennies, and adds nothing to the game.

But it''s very easy to work around by trimming them down to two sets of bennies, with one value just being the maximum number able to be accrued. If you decide to get more out of the bennies, then that maximum number is reduced. Works fine and that way you just have two sets of bennies.

But I agree that WFRP 2E was better in this regard.
Also I believe the Advantage rules would just be easier to GM if it is a flat bonus +20%, rather than an ascending bonus of 10% increments.

Other than that I think the rules rest of the WFRP 4E rules work well, I like how Success Levels are calculated and char gen feels better as well

Overall I ferl WFRP 4E is an improvement on WFRP 1E/2E, but you do need to trim down the bennies, and possibly give Advsntage a flst bonus.

WFRP 4E and Mythras are mu go-to crunchy games, they both work quite well

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the translation of the new Runequest edition, played the quickstart and it totally got to me, the publisher also announced a translation of Pendragon, never played it but I heard a lot of good stuff about it.

The only thing I'm kinda looking forward to purchase is the Talislanta KS. I have no doubt I'll get some BoH's and HBs because I have a hard time resisting a deal when it's something I'm curious about.
Not sure what if anything I'll do about D&D One. 4E I picked up most of the books after the run ended. I may end up doing it with D1 assuming it too eventually needs a new edition.

I thought the Elizabethan London game was more of a potential future publication rather than something that had definite plans. As for Wolves of God, I haven't picked that one up yet, but it looks interesting.
KC decided to write Wolves of God “in character”. I’m afraid it set my teeth on edge. If Elizabethan London was on the horizon it would be on my list.

I think it’s fair to say that our tastes are not mainstream!

I laugh at all these "most anticipated" and "things to look for" or "predicted to make waves" or whatever.

They're great to get an idea of what's out there, but some of the games and authors are so fringe to me (or I'm so terribly out of touch) that the articles are nigh useless. Also... marketing and pay-to-play are sometimes hard to pull apart.

I found one article the other day that had a bunch of stuff to track or look out for. I vaguely knew one of them. None of the others resonated or appealed to what I look for in a game. Ah... here: https://gizmodo.com/tabletop-roleplaying-dungeons-dragons-predictions-2023-1849924126

Mothership is interesting but definitely no "most anticipated", it's good if you want to run alien but don't like the official Alien rpg, characters will die in often very unfair ways (think LotfP like unfair) and longer campaigns are not fully supported (yet), overall a neat little game.
Pendragon seem interesting but I'm saving up for Runequest so that will have to wait.
I've played the older editions of Household, a great fantasy game, way deeper than the art would suggest, the new version should use the d6 system used in another Two Little Mice game called Broken Compass, definitely worth checking out.

I think it’s fair to say that our tastes are not mainstream!

There are a couple there I might have interest in... the new 40K game and Mothership.
Household sounds like an interesting concept till I got to the part about it having '... miniatures, cards and lots of accessories'.

Mutants in the Next (a supplement for Mutants in the Now) is looking very cool.

The Silesia campaign part 3, mentioned by SJB SJB (I'm waiting for it as an opportunity to get all three parts at once:grin:).
The Strange Tales New England game, though I only learned about that one from this thread:thumbsup:.
Everything by TDM, as usual.

...and whatever else the Pub and Bundle of Holding manage to sell me on:tongue:!

Oh, and Far West, of course:angel:!

I notice that OneD&D hasn't come up yet in this thread as the Most Anticipated?

heh heh :shade:
stirring-the-pot-will-truman.gif

(Oh wait, it's due 2024, okay that must be the reason :grin:)

The Monolith Batman RPG is also one I'm interested in, as is Shadow of the Weird Wizard and Cities Without Number.

As for ones not previously mentioned...I'm hoping Stonetop gets released (backed the KS), the Fantasy Companion for Savage Worlds, and hopefully the Horror Companion, too. I'm interested in getting my copy of Avatar as well.

Is it sad that I'm not looking in particular to anything? I mean, it's nice whenever Green Ronin releases another M&M 3E book, but I typically don't buy them. The Batman RPG upthread caught my eye, since I'm curious about DC comic related material. Most of the game systems I own now are no longer being published (Ars Magica 5e) or have been discontinued (Star Was Saga Edition, Rogue Trader, PF1e), or release so slowly I no longer care (Exalted 3E), or I simply don't play much at all (D&D 5e).

1) The revised core rule book for Fantasy AGE from Green Ronin.
2) The new referee book for Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
3) Mythmere Games' new printing of Swords & Wizardry Complete.
I guess I have come to the point of having no interest in new systems, just updates for what I already like.

Is it sad that I'm not looking in particular to anything? I mean, it's nice whenever Green Ronin releases another M&M 3E book, but I typically don't buy them. The Batman RPG upthread caught my eye, since I'm curious about DC comic related material. Most of the game systems I own now are no longer being published (Ars Magica 5e) or have been discontinued (Star Was Saga Edition, Rogue Trader, PF1e), or release so slowly I no longer care (Exalted 3E), or I simply don't play much at all (D&D 5e).
Surely you are approaching that higher plane of being where the lust for accumulation fades.

1) The revised core rule book for Fantasy AGE from Green Ronin.
2) The new referee book for Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
3) Mythmere Games' new printing of Swords & Wizardry Complete.
I guess I have come to the point of having no interest in new systems, just updates for what I already like.
It will be interesting to see if any of those companies survive the horde of lawyers the Dark Lord has unleashed upon the world of Men.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back