BECMI D&D is overrated

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This is a familiar story I think. No real teen geek would be caught dead admitting to enjoying the B/X rules when there's an 'Advanced' option. We're geeks, of course we play the advanced version. I couldn't assert my geek mastery otherwise.

I got lucky, I only owned Moldvay and a friend of mine had advanced so I tripped merrily along playing B/X far longer than a lot of people.
I didn't play D&D at all from 1983 to into the 90s, for various reasons. Those of my friends who did (and they stopped by the mid-80s) played B/X, and maintained that AD&D was a waste of time, adding much complexity for no return. There was one exception, but he played with a completely different group of people, and they did AD&D and nothing else. The main group of us at high school just didn't play any sort of D&D at all - I never really had, the other had moved on from B/X - we played Rolemaster (or a RM+MERP mix because we couldn't get hold of Spell Law for some time), Runequest, Chivalry & Sorcery, Aftermath!, Space Opera, and a number of other games that didn't really capture our imaginations. The closest to D&D would've been one guy's Palladium RPG game, but he mostly ran Aftermath!, so it wasn't a common game in our 'rotation'. Late high school and into varsity the games of choice became Twilight: 2000, Spacemaster, MegaTraveller, but still no D&D - I didn't get into that until the mid-90s when I joined a group playing AD&D2.

So for me any D&D older than 2e was always retro-gaming, the same way that playing C&S1 in the late 90s was.

Yes! This! I felt all the Options books really should have been aimed at GM's, I know they wanted players to spend more money, but so much of the stuff needed GM approval (Also some of it was mutually exclusive!)
At least the 'options' books presented their content as being optional, and to be added or not to fit a DM's vision. The brown splatbooks, on the other hand, were not presented that way, and some of their stuff was really bad. I regret selling my core AD&D2 books (first printing), and I regret selling my 'options' books, but I do not miss the splatbooks at all.

There are certain obvious differences between D&D (original 1974 set and various Basic etc sets that followed) and AD&D - what adjustments each ability score gives, what size hit dice each class has, class-as-race vs multiclassing, # of alignments, spell lists (and how many spells clerics get), to hit & saving throw tables, etc - and in my experience everybody used the AD&D versions and would never even consider mixing and matching in material from the boxed sets.

Making things even more confusing, the differences depended on which Basic Set you used.

In the Holmes version, for instance, there were five alignments (LG, CG, N, LE, CE), and non-human characters were treated as they were in AD&D (halflings and dwarves were automatically fighters, but halflings only had d6 hit dice; elves divided experience between the fighter and MU classes), so race-as-class was not fully a thing yet.

But then I got the "Expert" set, which claimed to follow the "Basic" set (even though the Basic set mentioned AD&D as the next stage), and was confused: two alignments disappeared, non-human characters had their own classes, etc. (Thankfully, there was a brief note in the Expert rules for people who had the Holmes version, and I eventually got the Moldvay rules anyway because I wanted that cover.)

The AD&D rules became the default because of the wider range of classes, races, and spells, the higher hit dice, etc. And it was "Advanced" -- it was written in this exotic, obviously "adult" style, with lots of obscure but cool sounding words ("antithesis of weal"). Since a lot of the rules were not explained very clearly (at least for adolescent readers), though, reliance on the the more straightforward "Basic" mechanics (whether from Holmes or Moldvay) was natural.

Looking back, as fond as I am of the B/X rules, I think it's a bit of a pity that (what seemed to be) the original plan was not maintained by TSR, namely, a solid "Basic" box set, fully compatible with AD&D, and which directed players to AD&D for higher levels.

I actually never played B/X or BECMI. I was introduced to D&D in the summer of 1978 and went straight to AD&D supplemented with some OD&D books which were still available at that time. Starting with AD&D I kind of bounced off of Basic, might have been a nice starter, but seemed a step backwards to 11-12 year old me. Traveller was an alternate by 1980 and by 1981 I had Runequest (2nd ed) which led to a whole host of other games pushing D&D off to the side. I don't think I played D&D at all between 1982 and 1988 being far too busy with all the other games I had found. I pretty much missed the heyday of BX/BECMI in a haze of MERP, RQ, CoC, Rolemaster, Aftermath, The Morrorow Project, Stalking the Night Fantastic, HERO, GURPS and many others.

After high school I got in with a "D&D" club at college and AD&D was one of the common games within the group, switching to a mismash of 1E and 2E as the 2E stuff came along. We just looked at the 2E stuff as extra rules rather than recognizing that there was a difference between editions.

I think I've only played 1 actual game of Basic and that was in the early 90s. It was the old classic blue cover (Holmes?). I think it was mostly the GM just had the old set from back in the day still basically mint and wanted to give it a try. After a few sessions and finishing up the adventure we were back to the regular AD&D game.

View attachment 69925
Pretty much my experience as well when I started in March of 1978. Or close enough.

At least the 'options' books presented their content as being optional, and to be added or not to fit a DM's vision. The brown splatbooks, on the other hand, were not presented that way, and some of their stuff was really bad. I regret selling my core AD&D2 books (first printing), and I regret selling my 'options' books, but I do not miss the splatbooks at all.

Well...

PHB p8 said:
Expanded character class books--The Complete Fighter, The Complete Thief, etc.-- provide a lot more detail on these character classes than does the Player's Handbook. These books are entirely optional.

and

The Complete Fighter back cover blurb said:
New weapons, new proficiencies, new fighting styles, and "Fighter Kits" make this optional AD&D accessory a useful item for players and DMs.

Anecdotally, I recall that back in the day on TBP there were multiple posters there who acted as if the Player's Option books were mandatory rule upgrades. I kept on seeing comments about how 2e was "broken." It took a while to realize they were assuming the Player's Option books MUST be used.

I can say that I always saw anything outside of PHB, DMG, and the first two Monstrous Compendium volumes to be completely optional. I always played pretty close to core. The only real flirtations we did with expanding were we used weapon groups from Book of Fighters, weapon expertise from wherever the hell that one came from, and we dabbled in making custom clerics with Spells and Powers. We didn't even use any kits except for a couple of times.

Well...

and

Anecdotally, I recall that back in the day on TBP there were multiple posters there who acted as if the Player's Option books were mandatory rule upgrades. I kept on seeing comments about how 2e was "broken." It took a while to realize they were assuming the Player's Option books MUST be used.

I can say that I always saw anything outside of PHB, DMG, and the first two Monstrous Compendium volumes to be completely optional. I always played pretty close to core. The only real flirtations we did with expanding were we used weapon groups from Book of Fighters, weapon expertise from wherever the hell that one came from, and we dabbled in making custom clerics with Spells and Powers. We didn't even use any kits except for a couple of times.

When I was still in an active D&D group in the 90s the "Complete" books were entirely at the GMs whim. Generally not an issue, as most of the GMs were pretty flexible on the subject, but as a player it was understood ask first, don't assume. If somebody bought a new one, it was expected that the GM might want to read through it before allowing anything in the new book to be accepted, so no, I bought this book here is my new character.

It seems to me there was a shift somewhere along the line (maybe coinciding with 3E?), where kitchen sink became the norm, and limits became uncool or even "unfair". Only guessing at the 3E connection as I wasn't actively gaming by the late 90s.

AD&D 2.0 was one of the impetuses for me to abandon D&D. I did end up buying at least a couple of the green setting splats, and maybe a brown class splat? I did continue to purchase modules and such, but at a much slower rate. I even sold most of my AD&D books (except my PH which I didn't manage to sell, and decided to hold onto in case I ever PLAYED AD&D). I have since replaced MM, DMG, UA, and purchased PDFs for FF and MMII when I briefly re-entered AD&D as a GM in 2005. The 1990s is the one decade I didn't run or play D&D in any form.

Pretty much my experience as well when I started in March of 1978. Or close enough.
To add to this, was on my tablet and didn't feel like finger typing last night. I've always said that I was grateful to Gary and crew for kicking open the door that helped create this hobby, that said, DnD was problematic right from the get-go for me and quite a few others in the area I grew up gaming in.

Pretty quickly we were writing up clarifications, additions and honestly looking at other rpgs as they came out, RuneQuest and Traveller being the only two at the time really. DnD was always a hot mess at least in the early days and Gary and his ego really didn't help things. So within two years (of March 1978) I as someone starting to GM(DM) had been trying to move on from that system of mechanics and the mess it was.

Which is why GMing RuneQuest was a thing if I wanted something fantasy/medieval/lower tech and Traveller and the little black books were the go-to for high tech. Though at times we'd also try to do red/amber planet lower tech Traveller as well. There was a lot of experimentation as I recall at the time.

The small DnD Books/box were our main books though when we started with DnD and then the AD&D monster manual and later in 1978 the AD&D Players Handbook released and we quickly added that to our game. Which is when my half elf magic-user/thief was born. I just truly had no desire to run DnD, it was such a mess and so oddly restrictive to me. Frustratingly many people in the area though were very much hooked to it as the one true way rpg.

So much so that finding players for RQ1st/2nd edition was much harder than it should have been. I was trying to run RQ set in Hyboria by late 1980, spending waaay too many hours with large multiple part color maps I hand drew using the old Conan comics as my guide since the maps inside of them were quite good. Three ring binder of notes, adventure bullet points etc. But again, I struggled to find a good that wanted a more active dodge/parry/block system with armor absorbing damage.

Which is why by 1983 when Palladium Fantasy Rpg was releasing I moved to running that. Why? Because though it was a bit of mess like DnD it felt like a hybrid skill/class leveling system but had a more active combat mechanics system that felt much more fun to me. Also in 1983 while visiting my crazy mother I had to deal with the whole satanic panic, and she tossed the gaming material I had brought on the visit, including some Judges Guild stuff that a friend had let me borrow. Thanks mom, ya nutter. So yeah restarting with the Palladium Fantasy Rpg was easier to do. A clean break as it were and then my joining the military.

So long winded and rambling point, I was never much into the whole BX/BECMI DnD, since as Toadmaster and others posts mention, it felt like stepping back because we were going from the small DnD books to AD&D as it came out. Though I do recall a lot of the history and other drama that T.Foster and other mentioned. BTW I quickly replaced the lost material that my crazy mother tossed out while visiting her and paid back my friend double what he lost. Nice thing with military enlistment bonuses.

Years later I did snag both systems to read through as I kept running into DnD as the prime rpg no matter where I was at in the states or world. I did feel that BX felt cleaner than BECMI but again I don't really have any real emotional ties to either.

AD&D 2.0 was one of the impetuses for me to abandon D&D. I did end up buying at least a couple of the green setting splats, and maybe a brown class splat? I did continue to purchase modules and such, but at a much slower rate. I even sold most of my AD&D books (except my PH which I didn't manage to sell, and decided to hold onto in case I ever PLAYED AD&D). I have since replaced MM, DMG, UA, and purchased PDFs for FF and MMII when I briefly re-entered AD&D as a GM in 2005. The 1990s is the one decade I didn't run or play D&D in any form.

I had the opposite reaction, 2E attempted to address a lot of my issues with D&D by adding proficiencies, and I generally saw the Complete class books as mostly positive. By that point D&D of any flavor was a 3rd choice or lower. and mostly just hey its an available game.

3E by contrast took things too far. Almost everything in a positive direction from a game design perspective, but the net result was the feeling I'd really rather play X if I'm going to do this much work.

Even the core books had a ton of optional stuff. Almost everything was optional in 2E, including things like NWPs. I almost never saw the players option books [edit: meant skills and powers] accepted at a table (I knew one person in all the groups I played in who was a big fan). I never allowed it, most GMs I knew did not allow it. In pretty much every 2E campaign I was in, anything from a supplement book had to be brought in with GM permission (which generally was a lot more scrutinizing than say in 3E). And if something seemed unbalanced, it was very quickly not allowed in my experience. There was min maxing to be sure, but nothing like you had in the 2000s under d20 (just wasn't even in the same ball park)

Last edited:
I had the opposite reaction, 2E attempted to address a lot of my issues with D&D by adding proficiencies, and I generally saw the Complete class books as mostly positive. By that point D&D of any flavor was a 3rd choice or lower. and mostly just hey its an available game.

I liked the complete books in 2E. They were much heavier in flavor than the 3E versions and I didn't find them particularly broken or anything (and anything that was broken was easy to spot and either fix by following the spirit of the rules or just not allowing it). The Complete Bard was massively helpful for example.
3E by contrast took things too far. Almost everything in a positive direction from a game design perspective, but the net result was the feeling I'd really rather play X if I'm going to do this much work.

Yes, this 1000 times

My story with pre-D&D is not particularly exciting :smile: I saw BECMI or B/X as being pretty much interchangeable. I enjoyed both though my preference was always for B/X, mostly as it was cheaper and the presentation was tighter in play. The presentation of BECMI with its 5 box sets and tutorial style of Basic was attractive to a younger me as a collector and reader (just not so much as a player).

I also played a fair bit of AD&D1e but that was really just a product of the group, module and whatever the overall vibe was. It’s wasn’t seen as being superior to B/X and in fact, looking back on it, I played AD&D1e fairly stripped back so it felt a lot like B/X in weight.

With AD&D2e I was mostly a player but we stick to the core books and avoided a lot of the optional systems as being unnecessary. Again, subconsciously inspired by our preferred B/X approach I think.

To add to this, was on my tablet and didn't feel like finger typing last night. I've always said that I was grateful to Gary and crew for kicking open the door that helped create this hobby, that said, DnD was problematic right from the get-go for me and quite a few others in the area I grew up gaming in.

Pretty quickly we were writing up clarifications, additions and honestly looking at other rpgs as they came out, RuneQuest and Traveller being the only two at the time really. DnD was always a hot mess at least in the early days and Gary and his ego really didn't help things. So within two years (of March 1978) I as someone starting to GM(DM) had been trying to move on from that system of mechanics and the mess it was.

Which is why GMing RuneQuest was a thing if I wanted something fantasy/medieval/lower tech and Traveller and the little black books were the go-to for high tech. Though at times we'd also try to do red/amber planet lower tech Traveller as well. There was a lot of experimentation as I recall at the time.

The small DnD Books/box were our main books though when we started with DnD and then the AD&D monster manual and later in 1978 the AD&D Players Handbook released and we quickly added that to our game. Which is when my half elf magic-user/thief was born. I just truly had no desire to run DnD, it was such a mess and so oddly restrictive to me. Frustratingly many people in the area though were very much hooked to it as the one true way rpg.

So much so that finding players for RQ1st/2nd edition was much harder than it should have been. I was trying to run RQ set in Hyboria by late 1980, spending waaay too many hours with large multiple part color maps I hand drew using the old Conan comics as my guide since the maps inside of them were quite good. Three ring binder of notes, adventure bullet points etc. But again, I struggled to find a good that wanted a more active dodge/parry/block system with armor absorbing damage.

Which is why by 1983 when Palladium Fantasy Rpg was releasing I moved to running that. Why? Because though it was a bit of mess like DnD it felt like a hybrid skill/class leveling system but had a more active combat mechanics system that felt much more fun to me. Also in 1983 while visiting my crazy mother I had to deal with the whole satanic panic, and she tossed the gaming material I had brought on the visit, including some Judges Guild stuff that a friend had let me borrow. Thanks mom, ya nutter. So yeah restarting with the Palladium Fantasy Rpg was easier to do. A clean break as it were and then my joining the military.

So long winded and rambling point, I was never much into the whole BX/BECMI DnD, since as Toadmaster and others posts mention, it felt like stepping back because we were going from the small DnD books to AD&D as it came out. Though I do recall a lot of the history and other drama that T.Foster and other mentioned. BTW I quickly replaced the lost material that my crazy mother tossed out while visiting her and paid back my friend double what he lost. Nice thing with military enlistment bonuses.

Years later I did snag both systems to read through as I kept running into DnD as the prime rpg no matter where I was at in the states or world. I did feel that BX felt cleaner than BECMI but again I don't really have any real emotional ties to either.

Get out of my head! :grin: Other than the Palladium Fantasy bit, which I have never encountered in the wild.

My first brush with Palladium was Mechanoid invasion, which seemed very cool, but archaic with its "throwback" to D&D mechanics (with Palladium Fantasy adding context, Palladium's reliance on D&D style systems makes so much more sense to me these days).

RQ was a revelation to me, and luckily at the time most of the kids I played with were enamored with hit locations, so it was easy to find people to play with. The fact Excalibur came out soon after discovering RQ didn't hurt with its fairly brutal combat scenes adding to the whole mystique of hit locations. RQ's quasi Bronze Age / Greek Mythology feel certainly didn't hurt with kids who grew up on Ray Harryhausen's Jason & the Argonauts and Sinbad flicks.

I'll say that mostly after the AD&D1e era was over and it had been replaced by 2e in 1989, I really didn't see the prejudice against "Basic" anymore.

Basically, the hardcore 1e-or-nothing crowd disappeared from the view from my bubble, and I didn't miss them. Among my crew there was no "Basic" hatred, it was just that we were playing one of either Robotech, AD&D2e, TMNT, Mekton II, MSH, or Shadowrun 1e at that time.

However, I did notice one odd little resurgence of looking down the nose at "Basic." It was when those really big D&D boxes came out that tried to give D&D a sort of Heroquest presentation. One was the big, black, "Easy to Master" box. I think there were two others which were expansions/adventures. Everyone I knew of in the local gaming scene seemed to sneer at those. Locally, they didn't sell well either. I remember Waldenbooks having giant pile of them in one section of the store and they were all on clearance. No one was buying them.

I never bought one of them. For me it was a mix of the looking down on them factor and just not having the money to buy one, so a little bit of sour grapes. I already had Heroquest as well as a lot of D&D, and Easy to Master D&D just made itself look a bit cheap with it's paper minis and paper map. It seemed like TSR was trying to compete with Heroquest and definitely failing in terms of presenation.

Towards the end of the 90s, a player who had the sets joined my group for a while. He brought the sets over and I was finally able to look them over. They did look pretty neat. The main set was very much like the B of BECMI with the programmed introduction. I think the big black box went up to 6th level, although I don't recall for sure. It was certainly a solid D&D set. I really wish I could go back in time and grab a few out of that clearance pile.

Get out of my head! :grin: Other than the Palladium Fantasy bit, which I have never encountered in the wild.

My first brush with Palladium was Mechanoid invasion, which seemed very cool, but archaic with its "throwback" to D&D mechanics (with Palladium Fantasy adding context, Palladium's reliance on D&D style systems makes so much more sense to me these days).

RQ was a revelation to me, and luckily at the time most of the kids I played with were enamored with hit locations, so it was easy to find people to play with. The fact Excalibur came out soon after discovering RQ didn't hurt with its fairly brutal combat scenes adding to the whole mystique of hit locations. RQ's quasi Bronze Age / Greek Mythology feel certainly didn't hurt with kids who grew up on Ray Harryhausen's Jason & the Argonauts and Sinbad flicks.
I had that very thought (bolded above) a few times while reading your posts on the subject. Yeah for where I was at Palladium Fantasy had a DnD (classes/levels/similar stats) and yet a more active combat mechanics system that I craved. I felt it was a solid gateway rpg to convert DnD players over to systems that were more fun and enjoyable to me as a GM and player.

DnD always felt so staid and boring to me, that's before we got into the whole bad writing, bad editing, bad layout and vague mechanics design. I'll say it again, I'll always be thankful for Gary and crew for opening the door for us, but man DnD was always terribly designed and written and there shouldn't be any debates about that.

Also had the three small Mechanoid books as well, I would use items from them at times to use in my Palladium Fantasy Rpg. It's always been kinda difficult to get people to play skill based no class/level based rpgs for some reason. RoleMaster like Palladium was a hybrid system and seemed to be a bit easier to get folks to try out but was really to top heavy on the GM side in my opinion and I always felt that they did better with MERP for lighten up the system.

As RQ went on over the years and the material for Glorantha became more predominate I kinda pulled away until Chaosium started using Avalon Hill to publish RuneQuest and in a more campaign neutral setting, which made it a lot more appealing to me as a GM. Unfortunately for Chaosium by the time I noted the newer Avalon Hill produced version I was becoming drawn into GURPS 1e/2e and they lost me for pushing RQ based campaigns.

That said, I was still having to deal with the whole lack of a class/level based game when it came to GURPS, same issue I had with RQ. ::Mutters, curses, spits:: I would use Star Fleet Battles, BattleTech etc and being a player in an AD&D 1st edition game(s) to meet new players and tempt to the dark side of skill based games when someone(s) were looking for a GM. The updated meme of that....

1697479341152.png

Once I got them into the game, I was set usually, it was just getting them to try it out. Matterfact from the 1980s until 2000 once I actually got a game running after a military move I'd soon find I'd have a waiting list of players wanting in. Word of mouth and all that, and I did my best to accommodate as many as I could. I'd run upwards of 12 to 16 players at a military bases rec center using GURPS (I don't know how I did that shit because I couldn't do it now), just as tryouts to weed out players and get replacement players for when folks would PCS/ETS from the game. (Change of duty station or transition out of the military and back home).

Anyhow BX/BECMI was more of something I studied because I'd still pick up AD&D/DnD books over those same years. Why? Because it was interesting plus I'd steel shit left and right to use in my games, after all I only had so much free time to spend on designing things for my weekly game. So I did end up with a majority of AD&D 1st/2nd edition and BX/BECMI material as game fodder and general reading. Damn me, give me a keyboard and I get all long winded babbly.

A little more context. 2E came out as I was finishing grad school. At that point I had been running my 2nd Cold Iron for a year or two so D&D was just off my radar. In 1990 after finishing grad school, I moved to North Carolina for work and decided I was done with AD&D (thus the sale). For 2 or 3 years, I didn't have much luck finding players, but did some RQ, some of my own "generic" game system, and not much else. Then I started my 1990s RQ campaign. When that ended, I bumped around with not much play, doing some Everway, Deadlands, and 7th Sea. By 2001 I was deep in a march of death project at work which ended with a layoff in early 2002. I managed to find a new position in the company in Oregon and moved out here.

Out here, I tried Cold Iron in Talislanta and GURPS in Talislanta, and maybe some other hardhearted attempts before deciding this new Arcana Unearthed from Monte Cook actually looked interesting. I bought the 3.0 and then 3.5 books to support running it and launched into several years of D20 craze. At the end of that was when I tried out AD&D again, and even OD&D. I also tried a couple Cold Iron campaigns (Tekumel and Wilderlands of High Fantasy).
Yea, 3E was a lot of work. Arcana Unearthed/Evolved is an interesting take that would be a lot of effort to run with something else as it leans heavy into the 3.x class and level system with feats and prestige classes.

I quite liked the pulpy flavour of the D&D Basic line (B/X, BECMI, RC) and despite some wonky rules it's mostly forgiven for me as it captures more of a light-hearted rollicking adventurous flavour that I like, unburdened by too much rules lore.

But AD&D took itself more seriously, and that's where it tripped up for me. For me, the wonky rules just seemed to become more pronounced, and there was already other rules around that did this kinda serious take on classic fantasy much better, such as ICE (eg: MERP, RM) or BRP (eg RQ, SB, etc), so they were my go-to for any 'serious' fantasy game. Later on I continued to pursue games that did it better in my opinion, such as Talislanta and such.

Last edited:
I used a few things from the Options rule books but mostly on a case-by-case basis. Kits were allowed if they fit the world I was using, I flirted with the knockdown die (I really liked it as an idea, but not as a mechanic) from Combat and Tactics, and I considered (but never implemented) using the magic "gathering" rules (where spellpoints were the norm and you had to do things to get them back like Druids had to be in natural surroundings to recharge quickly etc.)

In the end, though I cut D&D back to very, very simple from 2E using its rules only the most soft touch way, and even ditched their magic for what I now call my "Path' system. In it, players had slots as mentioned in the PHB, but those were 'free castings' of spells. Outside of that, PCs could cast magic but made an Endurance (Con roll) and temporarily suffered things like exhaustion and freezing of their spellcasting if they failed. Spells themselves? Well, I sort of only used them as GM, players told me they were casting and I made the best guess as to their intents and needs, and applied the closest spell effect that fit their Path. This turned out to be incredibly popular with the players at the time. Though I didn't play AD&D after that game until I tried 3E, and discovered it did some awesome things but was also NOT what I wanted from D&D at all.

I'm very much in the "Medieval Fantasy" side of things with limited races, classes, armor and weapons looking like and being things people really used--not double swords or sword chucks (The latter is a joke :grin:)

Just curious, for those who played AD&D 1e, did you like Unearthed Arcana? There seems to be those who did and those who hated it. I liked it. Pretty much a fan of everything in it. Especially weapon specialization. But I have friends who absolutely hate it and think it’s an abomination.

Just curious, for those who played AD&D 1e, did you like Unearthed Arcana? There seems to be those who did and those who hated it. I liked it. Pretty much a fan of everything in it. Especially weapon specialization. But I have friends who absolutely hate it and think it’s an abomination.
I liked it personally as player. More classes for AD&D was a good thing. Were they balanced compared to the previous classes? Nope. Had a blast playing a barbarian. Plus more stuff for the races was a good thing as well. Over all I felt that Unearthed Arcana was a positive for AD&D 1st edition.

Yes. Loved it. I definitely used Weapon Specialization. Played a Cavalier. Had Drow in games.

When it was released I wasn’t reading Dragon magazine yet so it was all new to me and was kind of mind blowing - a huge trove of new options and stuff (spells, gear, magic items)!

After using it for a year or two my opinion soured (because a lot of the new stuff seemed unbalanced and changed the shape of the game not necessarily for the better) so I pretty much dropped it (except for a very few things like some of the weapons and spells) for many years.

Still later I came back around and now consider most of it to be pretty good additions to the game while acknowledging that some of the stuff probably wasn’t sufficiently playtested or developed. So I use about 75% of it as is and have house rules that I think sufficiently address the issues with the remaining 25% to make me comfortable using them (e.g. I tone down the quasi-magic effect of high comeliness, I add some trade-offs to weapon specialization, I beef up the acrobat’s ability chart and add a couple extra abilities, I make casting spells directly from a spell book take 10x the normal casting time and you still have to have any required material components on hand, etc). I think the game is better and richer with this stuff added - that the 3 core AD&D hardbacks were never supposed to have been the “last word” and it’s appropriate that the game continue to grow and expand beyond that initial baseline.

But I know that most 1E grognards, especially those about 4-5 years older than me who’d been playing longer before the book was released, strongly disagree and absolutely hate everything about it and will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I try to think about how hidebound and narrow-minded and provincial and foolish those folks seem to me every time I’m tempted to rant about all the stuff I hate in 2E (and later versions) - and only occasionally succeed in stopping myself.

I never picked that one up. I was a kid. Games were expensive for me, and I didn't just play D&D. Also, I'd picked up the World of Greyhawk boxed set the year before and was still sour over its uselessness.

We used weapon specialization and not much else. I forget what all the sequence of the non-weapon proficiency system was, was there some in UA or was that the Wilderness and Dungeon Survival Guides?

We used weapon specialization and not much else. I forget what all the sequence of the non-weapon proficiency system was, was there some in UA or was that the Wilderness and Dungeon Survival Guides?

There was a system which appeared in Oriental Adventures. But then a somewhat different system appeared in Wilderness Survival Guide and Dungeoneer's Survival Guide. The WSG/DSG version was the one that carried forward.

I never picked that one up. I was a kid. Games were expensive for me, and I didn't just play D&D. Also, I'd picked up the World of Greyhawk boxed set the year before and was still sour over its uselessness.

You weren't captivated by its pages and pages devoted to elaborating on trees?

Last edited:
Non-weapon proficiencies debuted in Oriental Adventures about 6 months after UA (and were then expanded in the Survival Guides the following year) though a lot of the barbarian class abilities track pretty closely with what would eventually be called NWPs (and I believe were reclassified as such in the OA version of the class).

I never liked NWPs even as a kid because of the choice to combine no-practical-game-value background color stuff with things that provided tangible game benefits (like blind-fighting and quick-draw and awareness and hunting and first aid) so everybody took the latter unless forced to diversify (like how the samurai was forced to spend points on a bunch of “court” stuff like calligraphy and tea ceremony).

3E separating most of those latter abilities into feats with their own separate slot-economy was a good idea (at least to start with, before feat proliferation got out of hand).

We're really moving in all kinds of directions here, but I like those kind of parties.
I quite enjoyed 3.0 when it came out, and the aforementioned Arcana Unearthed was a very nice spin on that (as was CoC D20, now I said it.)

Dragon Fist was great, too. Anyone remember that?

I just wish we would've gotten a "basic" version with more of a design overhaul, too. Two rather different design goals.
And before someone says it, I have a hard time considering either 5E or any OSR/NSR variant I know of to fit that imaginary branch of the RPG tree. A whole other set of design goals for each of those.

No. I only used some of the magic items and weapon specialization (though I think BECM'Is Weapon Mastery is better and more interesting in some ways.)
The rest I'd not cared for at all. I came from Basic and felt cavalier and stepped too much on what Fighters could be/do (and paladins), and I just didn't care for Barbarians at all. I think both classes took too much away from 'ways you can make a fighter,' It's like micro-pruning aspects of some classes to get new classes from bits of the old and the new ones weren't balanced or well designed in other ways. (Of course, I feel the same way about Warlocks and Sorcerers in 5E compared to wizards)

Regarding UA, I liked some, disliked other parts for being poorly done (way off balance). Big surprise that was par for the course in 1980s RPGs and kind of a TSR signature move. A lot of people I knew bounced hard off the alternate die rolling (stat based for class 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4d6 pick best 3) for humans. It has always irritated me that all the "good stats" were 16 and above and 18/% strength was way off the charts for 99% of PCs. It was like they wanted to ensure people cheated on their rolls. Giving humans a chance to get better rolls actually helped to make humans stand out and make up for the lack of cool race abilities, like infravision and stat bonuses. I mean sure there were level caps, but that meant you actually had to get to those levels to matter, at low levels where it really mattered they did nothing to help humans, and no body I knew really paid attention to level caps.

Some of the new classes (Cavalier and Barbarian) seemed overpowered, and a lot of GMs would be kind of dickish in enforcing (perhaps even over stating) their few flaws, but I never knew anyone that outright banned them.

Honestly don't recall much else specific to UA. I never had a personal copy as by that point, D&D was simply a matter of a game that was available not the game I really wanted to play. Same went with 2E. We saw it so much of a not a different game that we just kept using our 1E books, unless we specifically needed to look up one of the new rules. I think I have a 2E players handbook, more because my 1E PH went missing at some point, so I replaced it with a 2E when I started playing more regularly again. Of all my original AD&D books, the Monster Manual is the only one still in my possession. Downside of losing interest, I didn't keep good track of them. The MM, Fiend Folio and Deities and Demigods remained interesting due to their utility across the board. I know my D&DGs went missing due to sticky fingers. It was the 1st printing with the Cthulhu Mythos, pretty sure I know who owned those sticky fingers too, because after showing interest in mine they suddenly "found one" on the used market. I suspect my FF went with it, but can not say for sure. Anyway kind of rambling now. :errr:

I'll say that mostly after the AD&D1e era was over and it had been replaced by 2e in 1989, I really didn't see the prejudice against "Basic" anymore.

I can only speak for my little corner of the universe, but yeah, by the early 90s Basic vs Advanced was down to simply two separate games, the baby edition and grown up edition was mostly gone. Their was no bias beyond I play this one. Of course by 1990, I was in my early 20s, had dozens of games under my belt and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to D&D of any flavor beyond, yeah, I'm not in a game right now, you're playing D&D, Ok. I may not be the best source for anecdotal evidence.

I've really become far more aware of BX/BECMI and RC in the past couple of years, as they were all just "other D&D" to me and not something I had a great deal of interest in so I barely noticed them. TSR as a whole was pretty much a non-entity to me after the Fiend Folio (1981-ish?). I think Top Secret SI was the only other money TSR got from me until the 90s.

DnD always felt so staid and boring to me, that's before we got into the whole bad writing, bad editing, bad layout and vague mechanics design. I'll say it again, I'll always be thankful for Gary and crew for opening the door for us, but man DnD was always terribly designed and written and there shouldn't be any debates about that.

I've been going through OD&D recently (pdf) . I am amused by how much it reads like "so my friends and I made up this game..." I mean that in the most positive way. It is actually nice to see how much this hobby really is grounded in a couple of guys in a garage writing up their rules for playing make believe. I get the same vibe from the Arduin books.

At the same time for a younger person who has always had access to word processors and decent home printers those original books must look so hokey and amateur. I think you had to have had spiral notebooks filled with your hand scribbled rules to truly appreciate what you are looking at with many of these very early RPGs.

That's right, I said it, up hill through the snow, both ways and we were happy dammit. :hehe:

Also had the three small Mechanoid books as well, I would use items from them at times to use in my Palladium Fantasy Rpg. It's always been kinda difficult to get people to play skill based no class/level based rpgs for some reason. RoleMaster like Palladium was a hybrid system and seemed to be a bit easier to get folks to try out but was really to top heavy on the GM side in my opinion and I always felt that they did better with MERP for lighten up the system.

As RQ went on over the years and the material for Glorantha became more predominate I kinda pulled away until Chaosium started using Avalon Hill to publish RuneQuest and in a more campaign neutral setting, which made it a lot more appealing to me as a GM. Unfortunately for Chaosium by the time I noted the newer Avalon Hill produced version I was becoming drawn into GURPS 1e/2e and they lost me for pushing RQ based campaigns.

That said, I was still having to deal with the whole lack of a class/level based game when it came to GURPS, same issue I had with RQ. ::Mutters, curses, spits:: I would use Star Fleet Battles, BattleTech etc and being a player in an AD&D 1st edition game(s) to meet new players and tempt to the dark side of skill based games when someone(s) were looking for a GM. The updated meme of that....

View attachment 70033

That cartoon is so spot on! :heart:

I have similar feelings about RM / MERP, I really do like the skills + class / level as a solution much more than the proficiencies / feats that came for D&D. At the time I liked RM for its extra crunchiness, but I think MERP is really the better game system.

With RQ I didn't really have the money to get deep into the supplements during 2E, so it was largely home brew with bit of Glorantha mixed with a bit of whatever (D&D, westerns, Greek Myth etc). I had more money by the time 3E and its Fantasy Europe base setting came along and that was just fine with me.

Damn me, give me a keyboard and I get all long winded babbly.

Like I have room to talk. What were we talking about, BX vs BECMI, right... :dice:

A little more context. 2E came out as I was finishing grad school. At that point I had been running my 2nd Cold Iron for a year or two so D&D was just off my radar. In 1990 after finishing grad school, I moved to North Carolina for work and decided I was done with AD&D (thus the sale). For 2 or 3 years, I didn't have much luck finding players, but did some RQ, some of my own "generic" game system, and not much else. Then I started my 1990s RQ campaign. When that ended, I bumped around with not much play, doing some Everway, Deadlands, and 7th Sea. By 2001 I was deep in a march of death project at work which ended with a layoff in early 2002. I managed to find a new position in the company in Oregon and moved out here.

Out here, I tried Cold Iron in Talislanta and GURPS in Talislanta, and maybe some other hardhearted attempts before deciding this new Arcana Unearthed from Monte Cook actually looked interesting. I bought the 3.0 and then 3.5 books to support running it and launched into several years of D20 craze. At the end of that was when I tried out AD&D again, and even OD&D. I also tried a couple Cold Iron campaigns (Tekumel and Wilderlands of High Fantasy).

Yea, 3E was a lot of work. Arcana Unearthed/Evolved is an interesting take that would be a lot of effort to run with something else as it leans heavy into the 3.x class and level system with feats and prestige classes.

So much seems to be time based. A couple years here, a few years there and it is a whole different game scene.

OD&D was just a hair before my time, I was pretty much right there in timing for for AD&D, and a "seasoned" gamer for the blur of games that was the 1980s. The first "RPGs are dying" crisis (satanic panic) was so specific to D&D that it didn't really effect "I don't play D&D" me.

I was a proper young adult trying to do young adult stuff buying a car, wooing women, and looking for a "real" job (something that didn't involve me coming home smelling like hamburgers or pizza) by the time 2E and the Vampire craze hit, so I was busy just squeezing in a game with my current gaming buddies as we could and kind of sailed right through the second "RPGs are dying" crisis (These vampire story games are doing it wrong!!!). Looking back, and now hearing all the stories of VtM skewing way more towards female players, ignoring that game scene may not have been my best move on the wooing women front. Nerd girls are the best! I married one once I discovered they existed.

In the late 90s I was heavily involved in trying to secure and then keep an actual career so I noticed the third crisis ("teh internets are ruining gaming"), but was far to pre-occupied to really care. By the time of the 4th crisis (the mid 2000s "all your games are d20"), I was married with my first child so that was a hearty meh, if it is a game I'll play it... if I can find some time and some players.

Last edited:
We're really moving in all kinds of directions here, but I like those kind of parties.
I quite enjoyed 3.0 when it came out, and the aforementioned Arcana Unearthed was a very nice spin on that (as was CoC D20, now I said it.)

Dragon Fist was great, too. Anyone remember that?

I just wish we would've gotten a "basic" version with more of a design overhaul, too. Two rather different design goals.
And before someone says it, I have a hard time considering either 5E or any OSR/NSR variant I know of to fit that imaginary branch of the RPG tree. A whole other set of design goals for each of those.
Arcana Unearthed was not Unearthed Arcana for 1E (You may be aware, you may not, not sure.) It had some fun ideas and I liked it better than straight 3E in some ways,.

Dragonfist was straight modified 2E though, so of course I loved it.

The barbarian class in Unearthed Arcana exists literally because the standard classes with their niche-based specialties couldn’t effectively model Conan: he needed to be a fighter + thief + ranger (without the spellcasting stuff - even though Conan actually does cast a spell in “Beyond the Black River”). Plus Gary wanted a class that wouldn’t be dependent on magic to survive so he gave them a bunch of inborn talents that do for them what magic items do got other characters - extra hp and AC and saving throw bonuses, attack bonuses, faster natural healing, etc.

Of course the version of the class that appeared in UA muddied and undermined that by also allowing them to use magic items at higher levels: the original version from Dragon magazine was not allowed to use any magic items ever. I think that’s cooler (but Gary worried that made them too weak at higher levels; IMO there were better ways to address that than watering down the concept, like allowing them more stat increases as they level up).

The cavalier was something else, and probably shouldn’t have been framed as a class. Their “niche” is that they’re rich and received a ton of training - that they’re effectively the pro-athletes of D&D world whereas regular fighters are like rec league amateurs. So he gave them a bunch of special abilities to reflect all of that extra training (de facto triple weapon specialization, horsemanship bonuses, stat increasing, parrying bonus, even the ability to remain conscious with negative hit points). But tying those to a specific class wasn’t the way to do it - some of those abilities should have gone to anyone born rich and others to anyone who pays a ton of GP for training during the game.

I feel like Gary was bumping up against the limits of the class-based system with these but wasn’t yet sure where to go next. His post-TSR games didn’t use classes except sort of backwardly as guilds: if you’ve got these skills at these levels you can join an “order” and get some mostly social benefits based on your rank. I wonder if he’d remained in charge of AD&D longer (like a decade+ longer, to the point of working on a 3rd edition in the mid-late 90s) if he’d have tried to do something similar with it or if he’d have remained more conservative to maintain backwards compatibility.

I'm slightly amused at this rather interesting conjunction of events.
Despite being a trpger since the 1980s, I rarely play D&D, let alone run it, so I'm usually of the sidelines of these discussions.
But it just struck me that I'm currently running 13th Age, which is a variant of D&D, so yay for me!
I'm standing in front with the main crowd for once, heh heh :grin:

I was a teenager when I was playing D&D in the early and mid-80s. My friends and I all took turns DMing. Some of them used Unearthed Arcana, and some didn't. As a DM I didn't buy the book or use it, but I played in some games where we did.

Well...

and

Also several of the completes are actually pretty good: the complete fighter, thief and priest in particular are full of imaginative kits and good advice for running games.

Complete psionics is a classic. I also recall really enjoying the complete dwarves and halfing books. The elf book is often criticized for being unbalanced, which may be true but there's a lot of cool ideas in there as well.

At the time I ended up thinking that I had to try and integrate all of those books' rules options into my game but I realize now that it was really just a bunch of flavour, good gaming advice/ideas and rule options to pick and choose from.

And that's not even dipping into the green and blue books.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that so many people combined Basic and AD&D rules back in the day. Living in Toronto, I never knew a single person who did that, and in fact hadn’t even heard of anyone doing that until internet forums became a thing.

Everyone I ever met who played D&D picked their specific game and ran that, and there was no mixing and matching.

So while I believe it was the standard in some areas, it was probably only common in others, uncommon in some, and pretty much unheard of in some.

Having said that, house rules were often implemented, but they were usually things like settling on a standard way to do initiative in AD&D, or giving PCs max hit point at first level, or adding custom monsters and spells, that kind of stuff.

For the brief time I played D&D, my group at the time used the 2e AD&D PHB, the 1e AD&D DMG, 1e Unearthed Arcana, and any supplement/adventure/worldbook from any D&D game published by that point (and some Mayfair Role-Aids stuff). "Edition" didn't mean any more to us at that age than different editions of Monopoly. I recall the only thing that put us off "basic" was the race-as-class thing. TSR D&D overall though is a potpourri game, just shit thrown together in a variety of combinations. While these days I prefer exception-based game design, I can appreciate how D&D's approach contributed to it's longevity and versatility.

Arcana Unearthed was not Unearthed Arcana for 1E (You may be aware, you may not, not sure.) It had some fun ideas and I liked it better than straight 3E in some ways,.
I was aware, but this thread veering in all directions I might've lost my awareness on what branch we were on.

I got 1E OG UA after AD&D 2E, which made it look really weird and increased my "duct tape & spit & US school system" view of early AD&D back then. ;)

Even the core books had a ton of optional stuff. Almost everything was optional in 2E, including things like NWPs. I almost never saw the players option books [edit: meant skills and powers] accepted at a table (I knew one person in all the groups I played in who was a big fan).
Skills & Powers and Combat & Tactics were what I think of as late in AD&D2's run, but probably more mid-life if we count from publication of the core books through to 3e's publication. Most people didn't allow them. I did, but while I used much of C&T, S&P was used by me as GM to modify classes to fit a concept as arrived at by the player and me. So the fighter/magic-user that could cast in armour existed, but the player didn't get to 'balance' it by ditching all the spell schools they'd never use - I balanced it in other ways (it it worked out pretty well).

That was for a run of the big Night Below campaign box, and the whole thing went quite well.

I never allowed it, most GMs I knew did not allow it. In pretty much every 2E campaign I was in, anything from a supplement book had to be brought in with GM permission (which generally was a lot more scrutinizing than say in 3E). And if something seemed unbalanced, it was very quickly not allowed in my experience. There was min maxing to be sure, but nothing like you had in the 2000s under d20 (just wasn't even in the same ball park)
You couldn't mini-max the same way, because there just weren't as many moving parts making up a character. That also made it a heck of a lot easier for a GM to tell is something was broken. And besides, balance between characters, especially combat balance, just wasn't as important pre-3e. Of all the things that 3e introduced that looked like a good idea, but has become a millstone, that and 'encounter balance' have to be the biggies.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back