Daggerheart

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I don't like using left-to-right because it introduces a level of ambiguity that can be used to cheat, so I always use multiple colours when I need to tell between the dice rolled.

I don't know what ambiguity there is? To me, it's the natural, easy way to read the numbers.

Honestly, though, the main reason that I hate using colour pairs is that I'm dyslexic and I will inevitable get confused about which is which and probably reverse my own pair at some point during the session, yet alone manage to keep track of other peoples.

I don't know what ambiguity there is? To me, it's the natural, easy way to read the numbers.

Honestly, though, the main reason that I hate using colour pairs is that I'm dyslexic and I will inevitable get confused about which is which and probably reverse my own pair at some point during the session, yet alone manage to keep track of other peoples.
I've played with too many players who would mix up whether left is (thing A) or (thing B), and vice-versa (Heck, so would I). I get that for some people it's not deliberate, but I know players who would use it to cheat.

I don't like using left-to-right because it introduces a level of ambiguity that can be used to cheat, so I always use multiple colours when I need to tell between the dice rolled.
Yep, smart move. I likewise do this unless it's a percentile dice roll with two D10s, one beingclearly marked with double digits for the 'tens' with the other as the 'units'. Other than that, two colours it is, with the clour scheme designated BEFORE the roll.

'Playas Will Always Try To Play Ya'
heh heh

Last edited:
Yep, smart move. I likewise do this unless it's a percentile dice roll with two D10s, one beingclearly marked with double digits for the 'tens' with the other as the 'units'. Other than that, two colours it is, with the clour scheme designated BEFORE the roll.

'Playas are always gonna play ya, heh heh'
You know, I think this is why I like the AGE system's "dice of 2 colors" one because since it is 3 dice, 1 of a different color, it is obvious which one is the different one since there is only 1 of those.

You know, I think this is why I like the AGE system's "dice of 2 colors" one because since it is 3 dice, 1 of a different color, it is obvious which one is the different one since there is only 1 of those.
Yep, it cuts out the ambiquity and hence room for disputes.
Good idea.

I've played with too many players who would mix up whether left is (thing A) or (thing B), and vice-versa (Heck, so would I). I get that for some people it's not deliberate, but I know players who would use it to cheat.
As we used to say, so what if someone cheats in an RPG:grin:? I mean, that just makes such people pathetic...:shade:

I get it, YouTube. Daggerheart will kill D&D. Paizo's official podcast discussed Daggerheart today for anyone interested on a couple of Pathfinder and Starfinder designers' view of the game.

Does this mean Daggerheart is officially a D&D Heartbreaker?
omg-oh-my-gosh.gif

I get it, YouTube. Daggerheart will kill D&D. Paizo's official podcast discussed Daggerheart today for anyone interested on a couple of Pathfinder and Starfinder designers' view of the game.

jesus christ. I turned on the video then looked at the length. My level of how much I care if Daggerheart outsells D&D is like not even a fifth of that amount of time listening to 3 geeks talking.

99% of my GMing is percentile-based games, so I always have "the tens" d10 and "the ones" d10, and usually they are different colours (because I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of d10s over the years - I mean, I am a former WoD player). I never considered cheating much, I game mostly with friends - cheating has been REALLLLLLY rare in my gaming life, it just makes things way easier.

I generally prefer 2d10 each of different colors (I've several sets with d00's and d10 though, if forced I'll use those.)

However, whatever happened to people saying which was high when they rolled?

Inspired by the dicediscusdion, I just pulled 3 random d10s from the pile left from playing Ogre Gate.
One was an orange d10 with a non standard shape. The other was the 10s die of a d100 set. And the third was another d10, of the standard shape.

And right next to me I'm seeing a set of d30s which I'm also using as d10s (I made a Sertorius character last night, after the PF2 session, just to see what I'dgeg if Iuse the optional random tables).

That should be enough for easily distinguishable sets of d10, or for an easily distinguishable d10000. I mean, I've literally got 4 different shapes without relying on colours, 5 when we add d20s, so I can bump that to d100000.

Is there a game that uses d100000? I mean, there was a d10000 table in Fates Worse Than Death RPG, but I can't think of even a d1000 mechanic!

Just lately it's really been getting on my tits when youtubers ask stupid controversial questions, not with the intention of answering, but to provoke people into consuming their content. Whatsa matter, streamer boy? Can't get viewers without clickbaiting them? Go shove your creator award where it'll do the most good.

Before there were "tens" d10s I always made light die the high die at my table (and did not let people use ambigious colour pairs!).

Before there were "tens" d10s I always made light die the high die at my table (and did not let people use ambigious colour pairs!).

I have a deep, abiding prejudice against "tens" d10s. I don't see any reason to use one, and they're kind of awkward to use as d10s.

Just lately it's really been getting on my tits when youtubers ask stupid controversial questions, not with the intention of answering, but to provoke people into consuming their content. Whatsa matter, streamer boy? Can't get viewers without clickbaiting them? Go shove your creator award where it'll do the most good.
It also seems a bit pointless because in my experience, the folks working on it who also love D&D will keep on playing D&D, and similar. They know the position they're targeting in the market, and they'll be fairly grounded in that expectation.

With maybe the exception of Pathfinder, no developer is actually setting "dethrone D&D" as their target; that's a waste of money because they know they will fail. Instead they're targeting somewhere lower down the sales list where they can actually make money.

Meh, clickbait has been going on for decades now to the point that it's become standard practice online. And it started out with bloggers and inflammatory headlines for mainstream "news" articles. That rando youtubers include innocuous, yet topic-relevant "clickbait" statements/questions in a thumbnail is small potatoes, and basically part of online culture at this point. I didn't even notice the question in the thumbnail when I clicked on it yesterday till someone pointed it out later in this thread. I just wanted to see what Daggerheart was about.

What’s Paizo’s offical podcast? I didn’t find anything on my google search.

What’s Paizo’s offical podcast? I didn’t find anything on my google search.
I think he is referring to this video, which is definitely not Paizo official at all. Siefter was one of the original designers of PF2e, but he doesn't work for Paizo at all anymore. Roll For Combat is a separate company that makes 3pp products for 5e and PF2e that he is part of.

I am hoping that the cards are just an optional player aid and the option to just write stuff in exists. I do like a LOT of what I am seeing in Daggerheart. I have a soft spot for anything with a wound-level system and I do like the concept of the 2d12 roll mechanic. I also like that the DM is instructed to come up with the cost BEFORE the roll. I sometimes struggle with what drawback the PC should face when rolling skill checks in Against the Darkmaster for instance.

Overall I like what I am seeing and I want to read up more. I just hope that Daggerheart isn't designed in such a way that it's hostile to homebrewing.

I think he is referring to this video, which is definitely not Paizo official at all. Siefter was one of the original designers of PF2e, but he doesn't work for Paizo at all anymore. Roll For Combat is a separate company that makes 3pp products for 5e and PF2e that he is part of.

Ahh, I understood Roll for Combat as being Paizo's official actual play podcast.

I generally prefer 2d10 each of different colors (I've several sets with d00's and d10 though, if forced I'll use those.)

However, whatever happened to people saying which was high when they rolled?
You’ll eventually, intended or not, get a unannounced roll that conveniently either…
...is the same color order as last time, because of course it is.
….is the opposite color order as last time, because of course it is.

Best to pick one and keep it.

Literally the only things that have ever managed to dethrone D&D is the property being mismanaged.
I mean someone *could* write a best-selling fantasy series, make a blockbuster movie about it, make blockbuster video games about it, and then push an RPG that’s actually good into every FLGS and dethrone D&D. You’d spend more than a decade doing this, every step requires different skillset groups and would need to managed by a single rich mofo.

Until then, WotC is going to create it’s own killer, as it did with Pathfinder.

As an aside, and slight thread drift, I don't get the appeal of PbtA; I'll play it, but never GM any PbtA game, even though I love playing Urban Shadows 2E. For me, PbtA holds your hands too much, to the point it becomes a straight jacket. FitD, however, is my jam. I run it, I play it. I've bought a great deal of it, and I find I really love Wildsea. To me, these systems are night and day different, but everyone I know lumps them together, and I'm like, "What?! NO!" The only reason I can see people relating them together is that when John Harper first took Blades in the Dark to KS, it was a PbtA pastiche that slowly transformed into what is now; that was quite a journey that picked up, jettisoned, and adapted so much that it's really hard for someone like myself to see any real connection anymore.
PbtA games strike me as a board game masquerading as an RPG. Between D&D 4 & 5 ran we played a lot of Decent and it feels similar to me.

PbtA games strike me as a board game masquerading as an RPG. Between D&D 4 & 5 ran we played a lot of Decent and it feels similar to me.
I'm always confused when people say things like this, because as a board game fanatic, narrative rpgs feel absolutely nothing like board games.

Board games have exact rules on what happens based on exact actions you are allowed to take.

Narrative RPGs are much much much more loose. They have specific rules, but when those rules apply are up to the GM and players. What exactly happens afterwards is up to the GM and players. Things like what is a light consequence is entirely up to player interpretation. When does a "broken leg" consequence apply to a roll, that to is up to player interpretation. Can a player fly across a chasm? Up to player interpretation based on the fiction of the characters.

Board games, at least ones that aren't designed badly, leave zero up to interpretation. There are no judgment calls.

D&D4e's combat is way more like a board game than any narrative game I've played, and even it had stuff that could be up to interpretation (though the stuff that was was often ignored). Hell, D&D 3.x feels more like a board game than any narrative game I've played.

This isn't to say you have to like it (I actually don't like PbtA games for the most part), it's just such a wild comparison to me.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back