Mythras thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Aye to that. Frankly, one of my favorite things about Mythras is that the editing is top notch. I don’t get a twitch every time I read it, unlike many other games!

Aye to that. Frankly, one of my favorite things about Mythras is that the editing is top notch. I don’t get a twitch every time o read it, unlike many other games!
You and me both! Though in my case, I don't get a twitch, I just try to edit it by professional reflex...:grin:
And then I usually realize that I'm reading a PDF on my phone, which lacks PDF editing software:shade:!

Take a look at the pictures and contents. Go on... see what's inside.

I urge everyone to rush out and buy these bags!

Pretty good product placement there.

"...Travel Bag fits Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide & More - Padded Mini Figure Storage, Dice & Token Pockets (Fits 4-8 Books)..."

...Why would I need 4-8 books to play or run a game? Not to mention mini storage.
All the materials I need to run a game easily fit into my pockets:thumbsup:.

Am I missing the obvious, folks:shade:? I don't even see how this is related to Mythras, in particular!

That’s pretty awesome. I mean, both the bag, and the fact that there’s Mythras inside.

The new third party setting book for 5e, "Shores of Korantia" ....

Wait... why isn't TDM doing that right now? ... looks at AIME ... thinks "Adventures on Monster Island" ... the new "Mythic Earth 5e campaign supplements" ...

I am so damned stoked for a new edition of monster island all mythras-ized. Probablt pick this up with hardcover Mythras just because I think we’ve courted long enough. I can commit to a real book

I'm interested in Mythras, but I want to read up on it a bit more before buying the core rule book. Is there any where I can read about the system?

In particular of those Fenix articles, I like the spell singers (a modified sorcery) and the Djinn one (for an example of animism) are both excellent mechanics to match the themes sort of thing.

the Mythras imperative QuickStart was updated just recently to include superpowers and folk magic. It’s quite within the realms of being enough to run many campaigns off of, along with the Mythras Encounter Generator.

I like that there's a Bureaucracy skill.
You are encouraged to tune the professional skill list to your liking and your campaign. I have added a number of things To mine over the years. The standard skill list is pretty standard as a whole though. if you like to hack rpgs, it’s a good choice. If you don’t, you get the benefit of a very stable and heavily tested system That just doesn’t break.

You are encouraged to tune the professional skill list to your liking and your campaign. I have added a number of things To mine over the years. The standard skill list is pretty standard as a whole though. if you like to hack rpgs, it’s a good choice. If you don’t, you get the benefit of a very stable and heavily tested system That just doesn’t break.
The language skill(s) are nice too, you can be fluent in one language but only passable in another. I like this better than the old DnD "You can speak Common and Orcish and Dwarven no problem".

The language skill(s) are nice too, you can be fluent in one language but only passable in another. I like this better than the old DnD "You can speak Common and Orcish and Dwarven no problem".
Ya, and depending on your setting, you may need a separate skill for reading and writing, where as in others it gets rolled into one skill for a single language.

Don't know much about this. Seems to be sort of Pendragon for Mythras though it's not literally Arthur but an alternate fantasy chivalry world.

It's written by the people who publish Mythras for the UK. I have it on pre-order so I'll post something here when it arrives.

Don't know much about this. Seems to be sort of Pendragon for Mythras though it's not literally Arthur but an alternate fantasy chivalry world.

Very interesting. I wonder if it is literally set in the world of the Late Medieval romance Perceforest. That provides a rather different fictional backstory for Arthur's Britain than Geoffrey of Monmouth or the typical Arthurian works, and focuses on Alexander the Great's arrival in Britain and the kingdoms set up by his followers there. It stretches as far forward in time as Caesar's invasion of Britain. I guess it really plays up the fantastic elements, with orders of warlock-knights, mysterious spirits, a version of the 'Sleeping Beauty' story, etc. I've never read it myself--like a lot of those Late Medieval romances, it is enormously long--though there has been a fairly recent (2011) partial translation into English published by Boydell & Brewer.

Very interesting. I wonder if it is literally set in the world of the Late Medieval romance Perceforest. That provides a rather different fictional backstory for Arthur's Britain than Geoffrey of Monmouth or the typical Arthurian works, and focuses on Alexander the Great's arrival in Britain and the kingdoms set up by his followers there. It stretches as far forward in time as Caesar's invasion of Britain. I guess it really plays up the fantastic elements, with orders of warlock-knights, mysterious spirits, a version of the 'Sleeping Beauty' story, etc. I've never read it myself--like a lot of those Late Medieval romances, it is enormously long--though there has been a fairly recent (2011) partial translation into English published by Boydell & Brewer.
That seems to be the case. From the product page...
Welcome to the feudal fantasy world called Perceforest! A World of High Chivalry, Wonder, Existential Menace, and Sacred Kingship

Perceforest is a fictional world of high chivalry set against the forces of the primal wild. It is based on a vast epic of the same name, written in the fourteenth century by an anonymous author about the lands that would later be known as England and Scotland. The author introduces a vast array of characters: kings, knights, damsels, sorcerers, and even the occasional talking animal.

The setting described in these pages is that of the Perceforest saga, modified and expanded to create a new fantasy world with all the adventure of the original work, but one without the explicit connection to Britain, Arthur, or his Knights.

It is expected that one or more players will have knight characters, even if this is not their primary career. Being a knight is more than just being in charge of a horse and harness: a knight is expected to uphold the code of chivalry and act with honour and courage; caution and fore-thought are foreign concepts.

Perceforest is a world rich in magic. There are evil sorcerers and enchanter-knights, damsels steeped in secret lore and witches weaving spells. The land is strewn with wonders — invisible castles, magical swords, men made of iron, and even fish on horseback! Players can have characters such as talking animals, playful badger knights, magpie heralds, or snake magicians.

A hostile force looks on the civilised land with envious eyes; this force is commonly called The Forest, which is a shorthand term for the primal wild that created all living things save for mankind.

The settlers brought with them the gentle culture that now permeates much of Bretaigne society, along with new laws and the rigorous policy of land clearance that robbed The Forest of its territory in order to plant crops and raise livestock. The player characters are at the forefront of defending this way of life, having been placed in charge of a village and charged with making it prosper.

The fortunes of a kingdom are tied to the health and character of its king, and when one prospers so does the other. As the saga opens both of the Twin Kingdoms are ruled by ailing kings, a state of affairs that results in lawlessness and chaos. As members of the ruling elite, the player characters are expected to take up the fight against injustice and help to keep the kingdom safe until the king recovers.

Perceforest is written by Mark Shirley (Mythic Constantinople, Waterlands, Lyonesse, Ars Magic, and other credits), and he Knows His Stuff. Perceforest has a very identifiable, English, folkloric quality to it and, being from Mark, is extremely well written.

It''s also great to see Aeon, our UK-based partner, producing original Mythras content. They have more on the way.

After hearing about it on basicroleplaying.org, I not only pre-ordered this, but ordered the Perceforest Reader off of Amazon, a 100-page selection of highlights. (I wanted to taste it before dropping over $100 on the less-abridged version.) It's a fascinating read, and more gaming-like than many medieval romances, with pagan deities being worshipped (although there are hints of the coming revelation of the Sovereign God and the New Law) in a faux-medieval setting and magic and magical beings abounding.

After hearing about it on basicroleplaying.org, I not only pre-ordered this, but ordered the Perceforest Reader off of Amazon, a 100-page selection of highlights. (I wanted to taste it before dropping over $100 on the less-abridged version.) It's a fascinating read, and more gaming-like than many medieval romances, with pagan deities being worshipped (although there are hints of the coming revelation of the Sovereign God and the New Law) in a faux-medieval setting and magic and magical beings abounding.

Sounds great. I'll admit that I'm not willing to spend $100+ for hardbound translation of the romance, but I have requested it I.L.L.

The publisher's page didn't seem to offer a .pdf-only option for purchase. I'd like a hardcopy, but with shipping costs from Britain an electronic version would be cheaper and more practical. It seems there is a .pdf, but you can only get it by purchasing the physical book.

Perceforest is written by Mark Shirley (Mythic Constantinople, Waterlands, Lyonesse, Ars Magic, and other credits), and he Knows His Stuff. Perceforest has a very identifiable, English, folkloric quality to it and, being from Mark, is extremely well written.

It''s also great to see Aeon, our UK-based partner, producing original Mythras content. They have more on the way.

Mark Shirley’s done a lot of Design Mechanism products, is this one you guys didn’t publish due to Covid, etc?

I've never read any mythras collateral. Is it just a fantasy system, or could you apply it out-of-the-box to something like sci-fi or moderns?

I have used BRP-like systems for this - at one point I did quite a lot of this sort of stuff with a hacked about version of Twilight:2000 1e, which is a percentile roll-under system that's not a million miles different from the BRP family.

I've never read any mythras collateral. Is it just a fantasy system, or could you apply it out-of-the-box to something like sci-fi or moderns?

I have used BRP-like systems for this - at one point I did quite a lot of this sort of stuff with a hacked about version of Twilight:2000 1e, which is a percentile roll-under system that's not a million miles different from the BRP family.
M-Space is Mythras oriented for SciFi rather than fantasy. No need for the Mythras Core:

You would want to add in the firearms supplement (free download) almost certainly, but you could do a modern or sci fi game with just mythras imperative. A Gift from Shamash is a nice little Alien like adventure and it doesn't stray from Imperative. White Death is a John Carpenter style horror, modern, and also doesn't.

I just started a "Mythras for beginners" pbp - I'm new to the system, and so are all the players. In talking about where everyone wants to focus the game, it looks like we might be going in the direction of building and managing a domain. Are there any Mythras-specific resources for this that already exist, before I start making more stuff up myself?

I just started a "Mythras for beginners" pbp - I'm new to the system, and so are all the players. In talking about where everyone wants to focus the game, it looks like we might be going in the direction of building and managing a domain. Are there any Mythras-specific resources for this that already exist, before I start making more stuff up myself?
A frequently asked question, and the only answer is an older Runequest supplement by Loz Loz

as with all useful gaming advice, there is a thread on this forum https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/domain-management-in-mythras-rq.312/

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back