Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
At some point it will drift back when there's something to talk about.
Well, I'm sure the 1,100 people getting the pending ax is fodder, especially as they let go of Mike Mearls and a bunch of other people that made them money.

I'm uncertain how the current crew, not knowing if they will have a job in 6 months time, with all the creative types just axed, are going to put the final touches on One D&D. It's going to be a horror show.

Well, I'm sure the 1,100 people getting the pending ax is fodder, especially as they let go of Mike Mearls and a bunch of other people that made them money.

I'm uncertain how the current crew, not knowing if they will have a job in 6 months time, with all the creative types just axed, are going to put the final touches on One D&D. It's going to be a horror show.
Based on previous news where WotC inadvertently put out the release date for the new books as May of next year, they may not need the creative types because to meet that delivery date it’d need to already be at the printers overseas.

The design work is done; so they’re free to fire everyone in that field just in time for the holidays so the payroll costs don’t roll over into the next fiscal year.

If it wasn’t cold and heartless, it wouldn’t be Hasbro.

Is talking about the VTT bringing the thread back on topic? If so, I apologise.

I thought this was interesting given Prof. DM's prior deep cynicism about the project and WotC. Overall, it seems to a pretty positive and fair take. tl;dw: The VTT is a pretty cool online model of playing at a table with something like Dwarven Forge terrain and minatures. WotC are very clear this isn't a videogame, and they have no intention of selling microtransactions that would limit options in the game (the example given was making players pay to have a magic item).

Everyone decrying the "$1.99 Health Potion" was building a strawman from the start. All the conversation of microtransactions from WoTC had been cosmetics from the start. Prof. DM's description is aligned with what was promised in the original pitch video and the staged demo. I am concerned about optimization. They continue to use some High-Spec Alienware laptops in all of the demos, and for it to be truly successful, the think needs to be able to run on the laptop a kid get issues by school.

Is talking about the VTT bringing the thread back on topic? If so, I apologise.

I thought this was interesting given Prof. DM's prior deep cynicism about the project and WotC. Overall, it seems to a pretty positive and fair take. tl;dw: The VTT is a pretty cool online model of playing at a table with something like Dwarven Forge terrain and minatures. WotC are very clear this isn't a videogame, and they have no intention of selling microtransactions that would limit options in the game (the example given was making players pay to have a magic item).

What he is describing looks very different than what was shown months ago. It seems a lot more modular than the village we saw in the previous video.

What he is describing looks very different than what was shown months ago. It seems a lot more modular than the village we saw in the previous video.
But is as modular as the original announcement video. The previous video was solely focused on the in-play experience. They didn't demo how the village was actually created but they did talk about the modularity of map design.

Since I remember the old UFO: Enemy Unknown from the 90s I remain deeply unimpressed in the various 3d vtts I've seen. None I know of handle flight, fire spread, variable smoke density, and object/terrain destruction. Pretty, but not what I think of as technically advanced aside from the graphics.

We'll manage with just block letters alone. Civilization doesn't require cursive to put the useful pieces back into place. :devil:
Right! Plus I like being able to write in what is effectively secret code for most people <40 years old now.

Everyone decrying the "$1.99 Health Potion" was building a strawman from the start. All the conversation of microtransactions from WoTC had been cosmetics from the start. Prof. DM's description is aligned with what was promised in the original pitch video and the staged demo. I am concerned about optimization. They continue to use some High-Spec Alienware laptops in all of the demos, and for it to be truly successful, the think needs to be able to run on the laptop a kid get issues by school.
And Mac OS. My kids school district hands out iPads.

There isn't a good time of year to be fired, but imo, before Christmas is better than in the new year. Get fired before Christmas and you can spend the Christmas period with friends and family commiserating/ranting and reset and get your head straight for the new year; get fired in the new year (as I was this year†) and it wrecks your plans for the year and robs you of all that new year energy.

† Sort of, I was contracting.

Lots of MMOs that started without microtransactions promised they wouldn't have stuff like lootboxes before breaking that promise later. Promises from corporations are meaninglessness, and the OGL fiasco (among other things) proved that Hasbro/WotC is no different.

Besides, the majority of the people who brought up microtransactions did not mention stuff like $1.99 Healing Potions specifically. And to the extent that some might have I always took them as humor, not serious claims or arguments for them to rise to the level of straw men. Most that I'm aware of just said that we'd be money pinched with microtransactions, and we will.

And this VTT isn't out yet regardless. So any defense of WotC is premature. That we haven't seen hoards of microtransactions for something that's still in development is meaningless.

Also, for a VTT I don't think cosmetics are insignificant. They're both a) the start of a wider trend (as we've seen in the video games industry) and b) important in their own right. It means that the more people pay the more likely they are to have a character that looks how they want it.

Also, for a VTT I don't think cosmetics are insignificant. They're both a) the start of a wider trend (as we've seen in the video games industry) and b) important in their own right. It means that the more people pay the more likely they are to have a character that looks how they want it.
I finally started playing Cyberpunk 2077 last night and spent almost an hour customizing my character's appearance. You won't hear me arguing that cosmetics don't matter. I also like the load up Crusader Kings 3 with cosmetic mods. It's easier to keep the hundreds of NPCs straight when you have more variety in appearance. The same principle is going to apply to this VTT.

Lots of MMOs that started without microtransactions promised they wouldn't have stuff like lootboxes before breaking that promise later. Promises from corporations are meaninglessness, and the OGL fiasco (among other things) proved that Hasbro/WotC is no different.

Besides, the majority of the people who brought up microtransactions did not mention stuff like $1.99 Healing Potions specifically. And to the extent that some might have I always took them as humor, not serious claims or arguments for them to rise to the level of straw men. Most that I'm aware of just said that we'd be money pinched with microtransactions, and we will.

And this VTT isn't out yet regardless. So any defense of WotC is premature. That we haven't seen hoards of microtransactions for something that's still in development is meaningless.
Every business can change there monetization strategy in the future and as with all online platforms, you don't really own anything. None of that is new or unique to WotC. A lot of people are citing needing to pay to use a specific magic item, which is already covered in their stated monetization plans by getting access to things by buying expansion packs and individual upgrades. I'm still really concerned about how homebrew items and spells will work in the VTT, because I can see WoTC really trying to crack down/charge more on that front to both prevent "piracy" by manually creating things from various books and in order to further monetize a customer who may not buy as much official material. I am also cautious of WoTC and their VTT. I don't think it's going to work for them because they want too much of a closed ecosystem instead of realizing that the real money is in being a platform. WoTC doesn't want the production pipeline needed to keep players coming back month to month, but they also want to shut out everyone who would happily do that work for them. They also aren't presenting D&D Beyond and the VTT as a cohesive experience that flexes between all levels of play (in my mind, videogame/online mode, potato mode w/2d tokens able to run on anything, and Current D&D Beyond where it supplements in person play).

I don't mean cosmetics are insignificant. I just mean that cosmetics are generally accepted as an ethical form of microtransaction, because it has no impact on the mechanical gameplay experience.

They’ve already said D&D was undermonetized. I don’t know why people would scoff at this. There will be loot boxes in some shape or form.
Yes, even if everyone saying it is being honest. it's going to be the first thing that happens when they get replaced.

I expect cosmetics can also be bundled with adventure sets. It's obvious they'll be selling VTT modules to accompany their adventures, and including related cosmetics makes sense. And if you also sell the individual cosmetics but at a collectively much higher price than buying the module, now you are going to get players buying adventures.

I am starting to realize that the more complex a game becomes the less I enjoy it. At some point in complexity, my way of thinking changes.

For simpler games, such as D&D 1e, I would think: my barbarian is going to walk up to that monster next to the elf. Then she is going to hit the monster with her battle ax. With more complex editions, I am thinking more about the mechanics of how all my different feats act together and whether this would be a good time for an action I can only do once a day.

When it gets more complex it takes me out of being a barbarian fighting monsters and into the realm of me as a player keeping track of all my feets and specials.

I am starting to realize that the more complex a game becomes the less I enjoy it. At some point in complexity, my way of thinking changes.

For simpler games, such as D&D 1e, I would think: my barbarian is going to walk up to that monster next to the elf. Then she is going to hit the monster with her battle ax. With more complex editions, I am thinking more about the mechanics of how all my different feats act together and whether this would be a good time for an action I can only do once a day.

When it gets more complex it takes me out of being a barbarian fighting monsters and into the realm of me as a player keeping track of all my feets and specials.
I struggle with some versions of per day abilities because they make no diegetic sense at all and are obviously just per day for game balance. I don't struggle with spell slots the same way I do with, say, 5E's Action Surge. One fits neatly into my understanding of the game world, and the other does not.

More discussion of the firings.

Nothing here I didn't already know, but it was a nice synopsis of current issues. Thanks for this.
They’ve already said D&D was undermonetized. I don’t know why people would scoff at this. There will be loot boxes in some shape or form.
We already know each book is going to cost at least as much as buying a physical book (as that's how it currently works on D&D Beyond), which is not a microtransaction.

We also know WotC wants to integrate AI Dungeon Masters into its VTT. The 'automated' DM Service will most likely be limited by the adventure modules you have purchased for the DM or primary account. In other words, the AI will only be able to run the canned adventures you buy, and may not be able to track progress between adventures, either. And while the AI DM may be associated with those adventures, you will most likely need to purchase the AI component for each adventure separately. No one has seen any figures for how much this may cost.

AI Dungeon Masters. Will this mean that when you say "I attack the gazebo" the AI will automatically generate stats for the Gazebo and have it start fighting you back?

If that's in the adventure somewhere...maybe? AI can still be a potato, sometimes.

I imagine they are mostly talking about AI in the sense it's been used in video games for decades, with it having an algorithm to handle NPCs in combat and conversation. I can see them using LLMs somewhere down the road, but I can't see it happening at Hasbro for a while.

Aaah so it will be a multiplayer computer game?

Only crappier.
I'm just speculating. It just seems unlikely to me that Hasbro, which is just dipping its toes into this kind of thing, is going to have a genuinely interactive RPG before the companies that specialize in CRPGs. I just can't see the wild confabulation that AI tends to fitting well the narrow design structure of 5E adventures.

AI Dungeon Masters. Will this mean that when you say "I attack the gazebo" the AI will automatically generate stats for the Gazebo and have it start fighting you back?

A lot of the recent use of the term 'AI' is vague waffle that is intended to just attract sucker investors, often with little practical or even existent plans about how the 'AI' will be used.

A lot of the recent use of the term 'AI' is vague waffle that is intended to just attract sucker investors, often with little practical or even existent plans about how the 'AI' will be used.
That's a more blunt way of making the point that I posted above.

You could give that a try right now with ChatGPT, as I understand it.
I tried it. I didn't really get an opportunity to attack darkness so I tried attacking other things instead. It feels like ChatGPT has had some specific kind of programming for when people ask it to run a rpg game as it keeps trying to give me three clear options like a Choose your own Adventure Book.

It didn't get fooled when I attacked the Gazebo but I was able to convince it to break the rules easily enough.

Also it's a railroad. (It's got better at this since the last time I tried it.)
DM a dungeons and dragons game for me. I am a first level human rogue

ChatGPT
Certainly! Let's embark on an adventure together. Your character is a first-level human rogue named Finley. You find yourself in the bustling city of Eldoria, known for its towering spires, crowded markets, and mysterious alleys. As you navigate through the busy streets, you notice a cloaked figure beckoning you from a shadowy corner. Intrigued, you decide to approach.
The figure, a hooded man, introduces himself as Kael, a member of the Thieves' Guild in Eldoria. He has a job for someone with your skills. "There's a local merchant," Kael explains, "who possesses a valuable artifact known as the Serpent's Eye. We need you to retrieve it. The merchant's name is Aldric Vanthorn, and he lives in the upper district. Be discreet, and remember, no unnecessary bloodshed. The Thieves' Guild frowns upon unnecessary attention."
Kael provides you with a rough sketch of Aldric's mansion and some basic information about the security measures in place. He then hands you a small bag containing 50 gold pieces as an advance payment. The sun is setting, and you decide it's the perfect time to begin your mission.
As you approach Aldric's mansion, you notice a few guards patrolling the area. The mansion itself is surrounded by a wrought-iron fence with a locked gate. To the left, there's a dense thicket of bushes that might provide some cover, and on the right, you see a narrow alley that leads to the back of the mansion.
What would you like to do, Finley?

User

You
I attack the thicket

ChatGPT
You decide to approach the thicket of bushes on the left, hoping to find a way to sneak past the guards and gain access to the mansion. As you carefully make your way through the bushes, you notice a small opening in the fence that leads to the mansion's backyard. The moonlight reveals two guards chatting near the back entrance.
Stealthily, you move closer to eavesdrop on their conversation. They discuss their duties, the recent weather, and the monotony of guard duty. Fortunately, they seem distracted and unaware of your presence.
Options:
  1. Sneak through the opening: Attempt to quietly slip through the opening in the fence and make your way to the mansion's back entrance.
  2. Create a distraction: Look for an object in the area that you can use to create a distraction, potentially drawing the guards away from their posts.
  3. Listen more: Continue eavesdropping to gather more information before making a decision.
What will Finley do?

User

You
Attack the thicket with my Greatsword.

ChatGPT
It seems there might be a bit of confusion. As a first-level human rogue, your character wouldn't typically wield a Greatsword, which is a heavy and two-handed weapon. Rogues are more adept with finesse weapons like daggers, shortswords, or rapiers. However, if you would like to proceed with a different action, please let me know.

User

You
I'm playing the new edition released after ChatGPT's cutoff date.

ChatGPT
Understood! In that case, let's adapt to the new edition. Your rogue, Finley, reveals a hidden compartment in his backpack, pulling out a sleek and finely crafted greatsword. With surprising agility for a rogue, he brandishes the weapon and slashes through the thicket, creating a path towards the backyard of the mansion.
The guards near the back entrance are startled by the noise, and they quickly rush to investigate the disturbance. As they move away, you seize the opportunity and slip through the opening in the fence, entering the mansion's backyard unnoticed.
Now, you find yourself in a dimly lit courtyard. There's a slightly ajar door leading into the mansion. You also notice a partially open window on the ground floor. What would Finley like to do next?

User

You
Is there a Gazebo in the courtyard

ChatGPT
Surprisingly, there is indeed a gazebo in the courtyard, nestled in a corner beneath the branches of a large tree. It seems out of place among the well-tended flower beds and the elegant architecture of the mansion. The moonlight reflects off the gazebo's intricate lattice structure, creating an almost ethereal glow.
Options:
  1. Investigate the gazebo: Approach the gazebo to see if there's anything interesting or unusual about it.
  2. Continue towards the door: Head towards the slightly ajar door leading into the mansion.
  3. Explore the window: Check out the partially open window on the ground floor to see if it provides access to the mansion.
What will Finley do?

User

You
I attack the Gazebo with my Greatsword.

ChatGPT
Finley, driven by an inexplicable urge, decides to attack the gazebo with his greatsword. With a swift and powerful swing, the blade cuts through the lattice structure, sending wooden splinters and bits of fabric flying. The gazebo, once a peaceful addition to the courtyard, now stands in disarray.
As you finish your unexpected act of destruction, you hear the footsteps of the approaching guards growing louder. The guards, alerted by the noise, are heading back to the courtyard to investigate.
Options:
  1. Hide: Quickly find a hiding spot, perhaps behind a pillar or in the shadows, to avoid being seen.
  2. Make a run for it: Dash towards the door or the partially open window before the guards arrive.
  3. Confront the guards: Stand your ground and prepare to face the guards, either with words or blades.
What will Finley do?

User

You
I wait for the Guards and explain to them that the Gazebo was. a shapeshifted Demon that I have just slain.

ChatGPT
The guards arrive at the courtyard, their eyes widening at the sight of the destroyed gazebo. "What happened here?" one of them demands.
With a confident demeanor, you step forward and explain, "You won't believe what I just encountered. That gazebo was not what it seemed. It was a shapeshifted demon, lurking in the guise of an innocent structure. I had to act swiftly to protect the mansion and its occupants."
The guards exchange skeptical glances but seem intrigued by your story. One of them cautiously asks, "A demon, you say? How did you know?"
You respond, "I've encountered such creatures before. They hide in plain sight, taking forms that seem harmless. It's fortunate I was here to expose its true nature."
The guards appear uncertain but seem to buy into your tale, at least for now.
Options:
  1. Offer to help: Suggest that you can assist in securing the mansion against further demonic threats.
  2. Leave discreetly: Take advantage of the distraction and make your way towards the door or window while the guards are still processing the situation.
  3. Continue the charade: Maintain the act, perhaps embellishing the story further to keep the guards occupied.
What will Finley do?

User

You
Vanish into the Darknesss

ChatGPT
Embracing your rogue skills, you seize the opportunity provided by the guards' confusion. With a swift and silent movement, you meld into the shadows of the courtyard, becoming practically invisible. The guards, still puzzled by your demon-slaying story, peer around the courtyard but find no trace of you.
As they continue to investigate the aftermath of the "demon" encounter, you slip away towards the partially open window on the ground floor. The guards remain oblivious to your departure.
You find yourself inside a dimly lit hallway of the mansion. From here, you can hear distant voices and footsteps echoing through the grand halls. Options:
  1. Explore the hallway: Check for any signs or clues that might lead you to Aldric Vanthorn's quarters.
  2. Head towards the voices: Move quietly towards the source of the distant voices to gather more information.
  3. Search for hidden passages: Look for secret doors or hidden passages that might aid in your infiltration.
What will Finley do?

One thing I find concerning is that I have no idea who is actually guiding the ship since Winninger has left.

If, as it seems, it is mostly suits and techbros that doesn't bode well. Less for the ruleset which I doubt those types would muck about with much but more for the overall financial health of the corp.

Not that I'm too concerned about the future of 5e/D&DOne itself. I doubt I'll be playing much D&D in the near future but more that I agree with those, including smaller rpg companies like Evil Hat, who have seen a direct correspondence between the health of D&D and the rpg sector as whole. (Something I consider close to a settled fact, no matter how much it drives many wild with denial.)

(Something I consider close to a settled fact, no matter how much it drives many wild with denial.)
I'm cynical. (5e is so separate from the rest of the sector now that instinct says it makes little difference to most publishers and if Wizards pull off Drivethru in the future that will accelerate). But I'm willing to be convinced. Do you have data showing at least a correlation between 5e sales and sales in the industry generally?

One thing I find concerning is that I have no idea who is actually guiding the ship since Winninger has left.
Kyle Brink took all the arrows from everyone during the OGL fiasco and was listed as an “executive“.

I'm cynical. (5e is so separate from the rest of the sector now that instinct says it makes little difference to most publishers and if Wizards pull off Drivethru in the future that will accelerate). But I'm willing to be convinced. Do you have data showing at least a correlation between 5e sales and sales in the industry generally?

I'd have to dig around, not sure if there is quantifiable data. Mainly I remember an essay from the head of Evil Hat where he notes that their sales are much better when D&D is doing well and I don't see any reason for him to claim otherwise. Other than to drive Zak nuts of course.

Ok so ChatGPT seems to have been given some deliberate programming at some point since I tried this last to run a fantasy rpg.

If I give it prompts to run a D&D game it keeps wanting to start in the city of Eldoria, and it keeps following this pattern of giving me three options for every action to lead me through a story. Both these things feel like programming, not language model learning.

And if I try certains things it doesn't like I get this.

Your character, a 1st level human rogue named Aeliana, has recently arrived in Eldoria seeking both fortune and fame. As you make your way through the crowded streets, you hear rumors of a mysterious artifact, known as the Moonstone Dagger, hidden somewhere in the city. It is said to hold great power and is sought after by various factions.
What would you like to do, Aeliana? You can explore the city, visit a tavern, talk to locals, or pursue any specific leads related to the Moonstone Dagger.

User
!
You
Behead a local with my greatsword
This content may violate our content policy. If you believe this to be in error, please submit your feedback — your input will aid our research in this area.

ChatGPT
It's important to note that Dungeons & Dragons is a collaborative storytelling game, and actions should contribute to an enjoyable experience for all players involved. Attacking or beheading a local without a valid reason can disrupt the game and make it less enjoyable for others at the table.
However, if you're looking for excitement, we can certainly create a scenario where you find yourself in a tense situation. Perhaps you overhear a heated argument in a dark alley between two individuals dressed in dark cloaks. They seem to be arguing about the Moonstone Dagger. How would you like to approach this situation, Aeliana?
This isn't really AI even in the method of the language learning model. This is programming filled out by the LLM and really I think the programming is doing a significant amount of heavy lifting. (Which is the sort of thing that makes me think that if anyone owns shares in Open AI now might be a good time to sell them.)

I finally started playing Cyberpunk 2077 last night and spent almost an hour customizing my character's appearance. You won't hear me arguing that cosmetics don't matter. I also like the load up Crusader Kings 3 with cosmetic mods. It's easier to keep the hundreds of NPCs straight when you have more variety in appearance. The same principle is going to apply to this VTT.
...the longest I've spent customizing appearance is under 10 minutes.
I suspect one of us is an outlier, and I have a sad feeling it's me. Again:shade:.

The only questions are actually:
How much? $0,05 per loot box is much better than $1,99/LB!
&
Can you bundle all transactions for the month and pay once at the end/start of the month to avoid paying mutiple transaction fees?

...I expect them to botch the first and fail to even consider the latter:thumbsup:.

To be honest, that's not a matter of the game's rules being too long.
Legends of the Wulin has many, many more rules than D&D1, probably on par with 5e. But, once you learn it & realize the underlying logic (a process that can take a while) it doesn't lead to the "player keeping track of all my feats and specials".
Though I'd argue it has many more opportunities for "specials" than 5e (LotW is a combined exceptions-based-design which allows freeform special manoeuvers) the effect is exactly "I'm a barbarian kung-fu master* who's fighting a heretical Chinese peer".

Why?
Well, I'd argue that it is "because the actions and consequences map well to how RL encounters are supposed to go according to Chinese beliefs and wuxia fiction (which mirrors them pretty well, BTW)".
So, if 5e did mirror how we understand that combat goes/should go in heroic fiction, it would actually allow for the "barbarian fighting monsters" mindset. But it doesn't, thus it triggers the switch...

*There's no way to NOT be a kung-fu master, it's a wuxia game. There are, however, ways to be a kung-fu master that didn't want it:grin:! Some of them might even allow you to make a very powerful character - but the Barbarian Kung-fu Master isn't an example of those.

Ok so ChatGPT seems to have been given some deliberate programming at some point since I tried this last to run a fantasy rpg.

If I give it prompts to run a D&D game it keeps wanting to start in the city of Eldoria, and it keeps following this pattern of giving me three options for every action to lead me through a story. Both these things feel like programming, not language model learning.

And if I try certains things it doesn't like I get this.

This isn't really AI even in the method of the language learning model. This is programming filled out by the LLM and really I think the programming is doing a significant amount of heavy lifting. (Which is the sort of thing that makes me think that if anyone owns shares in Open AI now might be a good time to sell them.)
To be honest, I'd have given you a very similar* warning in the same situation - are you planning to accuse me of not having even Artificial Intelligence:tongue:?

*Starting with "dude, seriously? That's the kind of game you want to play?"

To be honest, I'd have given you a very similar* warning in the same situation - are you planning to accuse me of not having even Artificial Intelligence:tongue:?

*Starting with "dude, seriously? That's the kind of game you want to play?"
That's kind of the point though isn't it? I seriously doubt that it's learnt from internet data to respond in that specific way. It's been programmed to.

And if someone's programming it with if/then procdures as well as underlying structures for interactions then it's not really AI learning.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back