Pulp/Sf/Fantasy Paperback Covers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Since I've started reading the Tomoe Gozen trilogy by Jessica Amanda Salmonson, I thought I would post some covers. These books have been reprinted less than I would have thought, so there actually aren't that many to choose from.

The Ace original cover of the first volume (1981) by Robert Florczak and the Open Road reprint (2015). There is no artist credited for the Open Road covers, but they seem to be Japanese art portraying the historical Tomoe Gozen.
TMGZNTQVKR1981.jpg TGZ-JPG.jpg

Volume 2 in the Ace version by Kinuko Craft (1982) and the Open Road reprint (based on art by Kangetsu Shitomi)

THGLDNNGNT1982.jpg GN-JPG.jpg

Book 3 for Ace, again by Kinuko Craft (1984) and Open Road (2015):

BKTG15329.jpg TSW-JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Is Open Road a legit publisher or just a online pump and dump? I believe they're the ones who I've made the mistake of purchasing on my Kindle and finding the text riddled with typos and errors as they seem to be using some cheap scanning software and dumping the text on Amazon with zero editing.

Is Open Road a legit publisher or just a online pump and dump? I believe they're the ones who I've made the mistake of purchasing on my Kindle and finding the text riddled with typos and errors as they seem to be using some cheap scanning software and dumping the text on Amazon with zero editing.
They are legitimate, as far as I know. They only do e-books, I think, but they publish some fairly high-profile living authors, like Samuel Delaney. Jessica Amanda Salmonson is still around, too, as far as I know. The version of Tomoe Gozen I read didn't have any more typos than I would expect in a well-edited paperback (so a few, but nothing major) and included interior art nicely rendered so that you could zoom in on it, using Kindle anyway.

I know that on Hoopla the Open Road offerings include a lot of older mystery authors, whose works might be in the public domain. I'm not sure what their editorial standards are for that sort of thing.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back