Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Went to the gym for the first time in a year. I used to work in construction and never needed the gym. I worked out every day I worked. Then I got a job in video games, and I sat on my ass for 8 years. Didn't even consider how bad of shape I was getting into until the last couple, and then I had a heart issue that caused me to have a hard time doing any exercise at all (luckily this one was treatable with just medicine, and now that I'm on it, I'm feeling much much better).

So now I've gone back. and I feel really good about it. Just felt like talking about it a bit because getting back into shape is super important to me, but honestly not the kind of things I'd talk to with my RL friends, so I haven't had anyone to talk to about it other than my wife (who goes to the gym like 4x a week, and honestly is stupidly strong for a woman. She leg presses between 3-4x her weight. I'm super glad to have her with me though cause she actually knows how to exercise, I just feel lost in a gym normally).

Anyway, a small glimpse into my normal life.hopefully I can get that 18/00 strength :tongue:.

I’ve always made my living (outside of some part-time construction work in my late teens and early twenties) sitting on my ass. Now that I’m getting older I’ve been lucky enough to not have any health issues but can’t depend on that.

I’ve taken up swimming again and I’m working on setting up a small boxing gym in our place, as I find I’m better off doing things I actually enjoy instead of going to the gym which I find tedious.

I’ve always made my living (outside of some part-time construction work in my late teens and early twenties) sitting on my ass. Now that I’m getting older I’ve been lucky enough to not have any health issues but can’t depend on that.
In my part of SoCal I hear "sitting is the new smoking" fairly often. Glad to hear you are getting back into training. Boxers are some of the most conditioned athletes on Earth as far as I am concerned.

I highly recommend having small children for avoiding sitting. You will find every time you sit down someone (wife/kids) have something for you to do. You might not even get a chance to sit while you eat!

Got back from trip on Friday night. Spent a few days in Scotland and a week in Ireland. Both places are great, but I wish I'd had more time in Scotland. Went back to work today. I remember how to do my job, but forgot my computer password, which I was required to change right before my trip. Still waiting for computer services to get back to me. Don't know why they couldn't just reset it while I was on the phone with them.

Went back to the gym this morning. It was exhausting, but good.

Told my boss in encrypted and signed email that I am resigning from the shit part of my job Jan 1, as I am tired of being up for 2 hours in the middle of the night with anxiety and being angry every time I see an email from the shit part of my job. She says she will work to find a replacement hopefully sooner but I already feel better with the end in sight. I will not even be training this person after Jan 1, as I don’t believe they will work that hard. I have said I am unhappy with the position since oct of last year to her and since June to the previous boss. Apparently “I don’t like this” every single one on one for 6 months save one was not enough. Frankly, the shit they want me to manage is just not worth the money.

Then, as part of the shit part of the job, I have to deal with an adult who can’t keep track of anything and doesn’t have enough courage to ask his manager for a new computer. This is a person within half a dozen years or so of retirement. I’m just not willing to manage that. Someone better than me might be.

The first 5 hours of my day was almost a constant stream of expletives, which is normally cathartic. I must need a lot of catharsis, as it didn't help much.

Last edited:
Last day of 5 10 hour shifts. Taking the next week off as a rest before School starts on the third. Got games scheduled for three nights this week, & bought some art supplies on the way home because I feel like getting some Art done as well, it's been too long.

Got back from trip on Friday night. Spent a few days in Scotland and a week in Ireland. Both places are great, but I wish I'd had more time in Scotland. Went back to work today. I remember how to do my job, but forgot my computer password, which I was required to change right before my trip. Still waiting for computer services to get back to me. Don't know why they couldn't just reset it while I was on the phone with them.

24 hours later and computer services has still not contacted me with a new password. And today the phones are down so I can't contact them. Sigh. Not supposed to have someone else log me in, but there is literally no other way to get my work done under these circumstances.

Edit: finally got my password reset! Yay! Am able to do my work properly now! And, once I could finally get into my work email, there was only one urgent thing, which I was able to immediately handle.

Last edited:
We are packing nonstop for our move on Tuesday. We have the movers coming on Monday to pack up the truck, they will hold it overnight, and then bring our stuff to the new house after we close. Going from a condo to a house is nice because we will have more space and I'll get my little man-cave down in the basement. All of my signed posters and comics are going on the walls down there because my wife won't make a fuss if they are in my area. :smile:

We are packing nonstop for our move on Tuesday. We have the movers coming on Monday to pack up the truck, they will hold it overnight, and then bring our stuff to the new house after we close. Going from a condo to a house is nice because we will have more space and I'll get my little man-cave down in the basement.
Good luck and label EVERYTHING! :smile:

A friend I hadn't seen in a long time took me out to lunch and the comic book store. My haul from the 12-for-$10 bin:
20190901_085530.jpg
Of course his ulterior motive is he wants me to run another superhero game. He's played DC Heroes and Marvel Super Heroes with me in the past but prefers the former so he can design his character to be what he wants to play. Fortunately he plays different types and is more into building a concept than into getting the most power possible. So I told him if we can recruit a couple more players I will run DC Heroes. And maybe he'll buy me more Five Guys cheeseburgers.

Went to the gym for the first time in a year. I used to work in construction and never needed the gym. I worked out every day I worked. Then I got a job in video games, and I sat on my ass for 8 years. Didn't even consider how bad of shape I was getting into until the last couple, and then I had a heart issue that caused me to have a hard time doing any exercise at all (luckily this one was treatable with just medicine, and now that I'm on it, I'm feeling much much better).

So now I've gone back. and I feel really good about it. Just felt like talking about it a bit because getting back into shape is super important to me, but honestly not the kind of things I'd talk to with my RL friends, so I haven't had anyone to talk to about it other than my wife (who goes to the gym like 4x a week, and honestly is stupidly strong for a woman. She leg presses between 3-4x her weight. I'm super glad to have her with me though cause she actually knows how to exercise, I just feel lost in a gym normally).

Anyway, a small glimpse into my normal life.hopefully I can get that 18/00 strength :tongue:.

I used to be active when I was younger but had to admit to myself, a couple of years ago (when I hit fifty), that I was out of shape. After considering a few different options I bought myself a couple of barbells and a squat rack.

I highly recommend this book: The Barbell Prescription. The tale of Fat Phil's degeneration and demise ought to be enough to scare anyone into getting into shape :smile:

Been busy doing family activities for the long Labor Day weekend. Going to Ocean Beach today to enjoy cooler temperatures, salt in the air, waves, sand, and "California Girls."
PLOB001.jpg
ob-sign-e1404424626488.jpg
490_2005_08_25_Ocean_Beach_Ryanne_Photo_Shoot_064-resize-logo.jpg

Baeraad Baeraad, AsenRG AsenRG, F FeralToaster, Gringnr Gringnr, Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel, Séadna Séadna, Bunch Bunch, Voros Voros, dokel dokel, and Necrozius Necrozius, I should be able to update the PBPs this afternoon or tonight. Mankcam Mankcam, yes we are taking the talking dune buggy and looking for mysteries to solve while we're on the scene. And because you can never get too much Beach Boys in their prime:

Been busy doing family activities for the long Labor Day weekend. Going to Ocean Beach today to enjoy cooler temperatures, salt in the air, waves, sand, and "California Girls."

Baeraad Baeraad, AsenRG AsenRG, F FeralToaster, Gringnr Gringnr, Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel, Séadna Séadna, Bunch Bunch, Voros Voros, dokel dokel, and Necrozius Necrozius, I should be able to update the PBPs this afternoon or tonight. Mankcam Mankcam, yes we are taking the talking dune buggy and looking for mysteries to solve while we're on the scene. And because you can never get too much Beach Boys in their prime:

Don't forget this one.

Son getting out of hospital today so we'll get to go home. Finally released from the nonstop reruns of Friends season 6 the mother next to us literally never stopped watching from morning to evening.

"That Chandler lad is so fucking funny!!" x 1000 :angry:

Yes! We have been very good about labeling all the boxes with the room destination and what the contents are.
Last time I moved I was thoroughly bored with packing and had probably been awake too long. I labelled all my boxes "brains", "spicy brains", "minty brains", etc.

Big, big mistake. It was more than a year before I finally knew where all my stuff was.

A boat was found near my house abandoned playing music. Apparently the couple on board were on a date. Search boats and helicopters flew over the house all night. No bodies recovered so far.

I'm not taking the kids down to the lake for a while.

I hate moving. Way too many books. It's like 1 box of clothes, one box of household items, a bit of furniture, AND 40 GODDAMN BOXES OF BOOKS, each heavy enough to squish a small child!
I find myself in the same situation whenever I move. People hate helping me move because of the boxes of books. Each time around I get rid of a few boxes but I still have far too many.

I find myself in the same situation whenever I move. People hate helping me move because of the boxes of books. Each time around I get rid of a few boxes but I still have far too many.
Last time I moved I had the company pay for it. A coworker of mine was moving the same day to the same city. The moving company said my books weighed more than his whole apartment. That was when my collection was smaller and more manageable. Some say I have a problem but I say "i have a game with rules to cover that!"

One of those days where I’m having a liquid supper while soaking my feet...

Rob

A boat was found near my house abandoned playing music. Apparently the couple on board were on a date. Search boats and helicopters flew over the house all night. No bodies recovered so far.

I'm not taking the kids down to the lake for a while.
Update to this. I saw something floating in the water midlake. Waited an hour trying to determine what it was. Even with my spotting scope I couldn't quite make it out. It was a body all right.

The body of a very large beaver. The cops were pretty impressed I saw it. I'm glad I didn't call them out to look at a floating fender.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back