Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
No offense but if I were a level 20 Magic-User or a Gallifreyan I wouldn't frown. But love that O&O picture, with a 12-sided no less!!!

Police showed up to my house at 4am Sunday morning. My first thought was "My daughter was out partying and got arrested."

They ask to come in - I say no, and ask why they're here. They politely tell me that they're responding to an emergency call. My second thought is: "Oh shit, she's in trouble and got disconnected."

My dog sticks her head out between me and the door, and it alarms the police, but she just wanted to sniff and lick them - of course that doesn't matter to police who might think otherwise. They politely tell me "The call came from this area - we're here to make sure everything is okay at the residence attached to the number. Can we come in please? (slightly more insistent)" My third thought is - "Oh shit, they're making sure I didn't kill my family. The optics aren't looking good!" I can hear my wife coming down the stairs... mildy freaking out.

So I say "Sure, sure. Just hang on in case my other two dogs bolt through the door." I let them in and they're lookng around. My lone dog proves worthless and de-certifies her guard-dog credentials by aggressively sniffing their butts and licking their hands while whipping us with her tail. (the other two stayed sleeping upstairs. Also de-certified)

My daughter and wife come down - and I can see through our windows that our neighbors have woken up from the lights of the squad car, and the second car joining them. My daughter produces her phone... she butt-dialed 911 while sleeping with the phone in her bed. It rang for 2-seconds before she butt-hung-up on them.

No one died. The police did appreciate my office. My dogs made new friends. My daughter can be a dummy.

Last edited:
Police showed up to my house at 4am Sunday morning. My first thought was "My daughter was out partying and got arrested."

They ask to come in - I say no, and ask why they're here. They politely tell me that they're responding to an emergency call. My second thought is: "Oh shit, she's in trouble and got disconnected."

My dog sticks her head out between me and the door, and it alarms the police, but she just wanted to sniff and lick them - of course that doesn't matter to police who might think otherwise. They politely tell me "The call came from this area - we're here to make sure everything is okay at the residence attached to the number. Can we come in please? (slightly more insistent)" My third thought is - "Oh shit, they're making sure I didn't kill my family. The optics aren't looking good!" I can hear my wife coming down the stairs... mildy freaking out.

So I say "Sure, sure. Just hang on in case my other two dogs bolt through the door." I let them in and they're lookng around. My lone dog proves worthless and de-certifies her guard-dog credentials by aggressively sniffing their butts and licking their hands while whipping us with her tail. (the other two stayed sleeping upstairs. Also de-certified)

My daughter and wife come down - and I can see through our windows that our neighbors have woken up from the lights of the squad car, and the second car joining them. My daughter produces her phone... she butt-dialed 911 while sleeping with the phone in her bed. It rang for 2-seconds before she butt-hung-up on them.

No one died. The police did appreciate my office. My dogs made new friends. My daughter can be a dummy.
In your daughter's defense GD phones call anyone out of your contacts list all the damn time! I get all sorts of Random calls and then realized I also make tons of random calls. I really wish the passcode actually was required to unlock my phone vs just sometimes.

Where is this stuff captured from? A game, episode, something else?
No tis an engraving made by none other than me grandfather Calico Jack

The first is from the second newest book, the second from one of the books made before the show. The earlier books are more fantastical than the show with shadow being kingdoms, an underwater city, etc

Going bowling tonight. It has been at least seven years since I've been bowling. I am looking forward to it.

If you're touristing, then we should pick a venue that's easy to find. I suggest the Admiralty, which is just off Trafalgar Square and close to Charing Cross Station. As a bonus, it's about 15 minutes walk to Foyle's (a famous bookshop) and a similar distance to Covent Garden, which is mainly famous for street performers pretending to be statues. You can also get to Paddington from Charing Cross, which is where the Heathrow Express goes from.

Leaving tomorrow morning. Things were a bit rushed, with a 2-year-old in tow, so I missed the opportunity to catch up. Sorry! Drinks on me if we ever do meet.

We all had a great time, though. I wish we had more time (and money!) to spend in this amazing city. I didn't even get to try half the beer styles I meant to! (Pretty peeved to see you Brits drinking shitty lagers everywhere. Where's your pride???) :clown:

Anyone in Berlin? I may yet have a chance to atone for my sin.

My daughter produces her phone... she butt-dialed 911 while sleeping with the phone in her bed. It rang for 2-seconds before she butt-hung-up on them.
A friend of mine did that a while back.
The cops showed up while she was in the bathtub, her unsuspecting brother answered the door and the cops were treated to the odor of pot and the site of a bunch of paraphernalia on the coffee table... which they happily confiscated after establishing the whole thing was a false alarm.
Luckily, no one went to the pokey.

I'm not going to object that many of us are mid forties guys but ALL is going a bit far.
I suspect there may also be some suave Latino types who never had any trouble of that type. Other trouble, maybe, but not that type.
tumblr_mq2cywMPCs1rowenko1_400.gif

Back to 60 hour work weeks, I’m just now enjoying my breakfast tea as the morning breeze wafts through the apartment. Doing some prep work for my Exploring Film Through Writing Class (noir & pre-code sections). I don’t get to teach this class every year and it is a welcome break from the usual 9th and 11th English classes I teach.

Rob

My wife got some new dentures and new bras today, so was happy. I heard her reading a Tatar Fairy Tale (Shurale) in Tatar, in front of the mirror, to see how they looked.

This past week or so I've been suffering from insomnia and general difficulties sleeping. It's driving me slowly but surely insane.
On the plus side I'm going to a session 0 tomorrow for a long term game that's supposed to start in October.
I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia. Speaking from personal experience, if it lasts more than a month or severely impacts your life, ignore the advice from well-meaning friends and family. Do yourself a favor and see a doctor

Congrats on the new game!

I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia. Speaking from personal experience, if it lasts more than a month or severely impacts your life, ignore the advice from well-meaning friends and family. Do yourself a favor and see a doctor

I'll keep that in mind.

I'm going to be playing as a Githzerai Necromancer who is hell bent on becoming a Lich, it's going to be great!

I might suggest if it lasts more than three days go see a doctor.

This past week or so I've been suffering from insomnia and general difficulties sleeping. It's driving me slowly but surely insane.
On the plus side I'm going to a session 0 tomorrow for a long term game that's supposed to start in October.
Have you considered asking your doctor about Ambian? It works for me really well. The only problem I have with it is once I take a tablet I don't remember anything the rest of the night. One time I woke up in the middle of the night, on Ambian, came downstairs and sleep-ordered Call of Cthulhu. Try explaining that you didn't do that on purpose to you wife... Despite that kind of thing I still recommend it. It will make anyone sleep.

Have you considered asking your doctor about Ambian? It works for me really well. The only problem I have with it is once I take a tablet I don't remember anything the rest of the night. One time I woke up in the middle of the night, on Ambian, came downstairs and sleep-ordered Call of Cthulhu. Try explaining that you didn't do that on purpose to you wife... Despite that kind of thing I still recommend it. It will make anyone sleep.
I knew a doctor who took ambian. He had to give his wife his keys every night and sleep almost in a cell because he never knew what he would do after taking it.

There are several steps before this :smile: general rules about finding and reducing stress, getting more exercise, checking caffeine and alcohol intake, etc. ambien is serious business, and I hope the aforementioned doctor would try things before getting to ambien.

See a doctor is correct, though a few days to a week I would consider melatonin or Benadryl.

I occasionally get streaks of very low sleep (sub 5 hours per night) due to stress at work. 6 is normal for me, and I’ve never been a long sleeper. Sometimes I’ll do one night with Benadryl and it resets my body, or at least lets me rest enough to think rationally about the stress and deal.

I also find exercise to the point of exhaustion (literally gotta lay there for a few minutes) works too, though requires more positive mindset and more time.

There are several steps before this :smile: general rules about finding and reducing stress, getting more exercise, checking caffeine and alcohol intake, etc. ambien is serious business, and I hope the aforementioned doctor would try things before getting to ambien.

See a doctor is correct, though a few days to a week I would consider melatonin or Benadryl.

I occasionally get streaks of very low sleep (sub 5 hours per night) due to stress at work. 6 is normal for me, and I’ve never been a long sleeper. Sometimes I’ll do one night with Benadryl and it resets my body, or at least lets me rest enough to think rationally about the stress and deal.

I also find exercise to the point of exhaustion (literally gotta lay there for a few minutes) works too, though requires more positive mindset and more time.
Part of it is just living in a noisy apartment/street, but if I can get myself to calm down enough I can usually ignore all the noise enough to fall asleep. I've been suspecting it's just stress that's keeping me high strung so late.

My apartment is next to a busy street and I’ve hung heavy blackout curtains to help keep the place cool in the summer but they also muffle outside noise. I also found some comfortable earbuds and I have a selection of podcasts I listen to before bed. I find the podcasts I’ve selected to be calming, they are enough of something going on that my mind focuses enough to listen and that keeps it from busy/run mode.

Rob

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back