Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The default starting date for Star Trek Adventures is 2371, the same as the start of Star Trek: Voyager, though you can easily change it to other eras.
Finally got caught up and now I'm starting to read through the pdf. Confirmed for the date of 2371. I am aware that the guy who wants to run the Star Trek game wants to run in the original series setting. So I'll have to check out those changes that I need to be aware of. That's again if the game gets off ground, he's being particular about players he wants for the game, so filling up the slots might take some time. I know I'm in, basically he doesn't want disruptive murder hobos for his Star Trek game. heh.

1695750431431.png

Finally got caught up and now I'm starting to read through the pdf. Confirmed for the date of 2371. I am aware that the guy who wants to run the Star Trek game wants to run in the original series setting. So I'll have to check out those changes that I need to be aware of. That's again if the game gets off ground, he's being particular about players he wants for the game, so filling up the slots might take some time. I know I'm in, basically he doesn't want disruptive murder hobos for his Star Trek game. heh.

View attachment 68772
The only changes of any significance that I recall would be what starships and technology are available, and of course whether Klingons are swarthy bad guys or just misunderstood crabheads.

Gotta tell us how it goes with the Tiny Pirates! Also as an aside, anyone else find the new DriveThruRpg layout is terrible, a waste of space? I was just reminded of because I clicked on Tiny Pirates link above to add it to my "want list bookmarks".

Absolutely. It's (arguably) prettier, but it has less functionality than the old one. Making two clicks to add something to your wish list, for example, works against them because it creates the tiniest bit of friction between the customer and the transaction. I wonder how many people haven't clicked the second time, and therefore may never buy the product.

The final volume of The Golden Age Batman Omnibus arrived today. This takes us up to Batman #100 and Detective Comics #232 (both June 1956). Curiously, they started The Silver Age Batman Omnibus before they finished this series. I'd be happy to get these all the way through the Bronze Age, personally, but my all-time favorite Batman is the late Golden Age through early Silver Age. Bring on Batwoman, Bat-Mite, and Ace the Bat-Hound!
20230926_194508.jpg

I've been seeking a copy of this boxed set for maybe 20 years and finally found a seller who wasn't asking for the moon plus a handjob. Now there are only two boxed sets left (that I can think of) on my wish list.
20230928_153544.jpg
20230928_153625.jpg

Not the box set, but FGU is selling Bushido reprints including all four adventures.
Yes, but I can't tell from their site if those new ones are PDF only or what. Do you know? I don't like PDFs. Ever since FGU in recent years out of the blue started publishing new adventure modules for Villains and Vigilantes, Daredevils, and Bushido, after something like a 20-year hiatus, there are now five official adventures for Bushido (one not published by FGU, and thus unfortunately hard to acquire--though I've heard you can find it online, aaaarrr!-matey-style):
s-l1200.jpg

The site shows both pdf and compilation volumes (hard copy) that have two adventures per volume. I haven’t ordered Bushido books from them but have picked up Space Opera books. I think it’s basically a one man show as I asked a question once and it took over a week to get a response. On the plus side the prices look great.

View attachment 68772
That Shackleton Expanse is a Modiphius creation to have a space to do stuff in. There are other maps that show Fed space on other side of the Klingons and Romulans, but I can’t find any proof that there were any episodes of any series over there.

It is weird that they keep putting Cardassia to the Federation West, there are episodes of DS9 clearly showing the Cardassian-Romulan border, which means they’d have to be to the Federation North.

Gotta tell us how it goes with the Tiny Pirates! Also as an aside, anyone else find the new DriveThruRpg layout is terrible, a waste of space? I was just reminded of because I clicked on Tiny Pirates link above to add it to my "want list bookmarks".
It’s total crap. The new DTRPG interface, not Tiny d6. :devil:

anyone else find the new DriveThruRpg layout is terrible, a waste of space?
Pure trash. Shouldn’t be too hard to say “you already bought this” in the mobile version on the item page. It says it on the desktop version. Almost bought ShadowSun again. (A redo of Dark Sun for Shadowdark)

Today's delivery, Fate of Cthulhu. I know, I know... it's Fate. But I think the concept of the game is cool. The apocalypse has happened, one of the Great Old Ones has risen. So you travel back in time to kick ass and hopefully prevent all that.

fate_of_cthulhu.jpg

The site shows both pdf and compilation volumes (hard copy) that have two adventures per volume. I haven’t ordered Bushido books from them but have picked up Space Opera books. I think it’s basically a one man show as I asked a question once and it took over a week to get a response. On the plus side the prices look great.
There are two disadvantages of the version of Bushido on sale. One is that it doesn't include that awesome map from the screen in the boxed set and second it's a single volume. I think it does have some corrections over the two volumes of the boxed set.

There are two disadvantages of the version of Bushido on sale. One is that it doesn't include that awesome map from the screen in the boxed set and second it's a single volume. I think it does have some corrections over the two volumes of the boxed set.
Really? Is there a list of the corrections? I still have my boxed set from back in the day but would like to see the changes.

Finished off my collection of Anthony Williams cannon books. I got Rapid fire years ago when it was first published (2000-ish), and recently got Autocannon which is the latest (published 2022). The Flying Guns series came out in 2003-2004 when money was tight (Thing 1 was born in 2000). They came and went, and not cheap books to begin with prices went stupid by the time I could think about getting them.

With patience I have acquired them all for "reasonable" (less than 200% of their 2003 prices). The last one Flying Guns the Modern Era arrived this week.

cannon books.jpg

Excuse me but is my gun nerd showing. :gunslinger:

Neurocity colorblind edition PDF dropped late last week. Still waiting on the hardcopy but won't be long.
It's REALLY good. Very evocative, and very unique.

To sum it up in a relatable way, I might describe it as fine blend of:
Paranoia, if it was completely serious
PLUS Gattaca, if made as a silent black and white film.

I'm sure there's a better description, but off the cuff, that's my reaction on a quick skim.

The Director's Tip in the Rules section is gold. There's a little bit of Amber design sensibility (the storytelling) in here as well.
"Do not get entangled by Neurocity's societal restrictions when running a session... Everyone is guilty.... Navigating life by strictly following law and protocol is not just impractical, it is insane... It is not about rules; nobody really cares about them. It is about appearances, ego, and power at the service of your story."

My kinda game.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which book is first as two of them are labeled #1 on their covers! I'll have to check Wikipedia.

Also got this omnibus containing the first three "Sector General" novels by the Irish pacifist sci fi writer James White, whom I'd never heard of before seeing this.

White is good! I was looking at his book All Judgement Fled today but went with these rarer books instead.

Love the cover for Jakes' On Wheels here.

20230930_204942.jpg

Last edited:
The PDF for Under the Autumn Strangely dropped last week.
It's pretty, but I confess I'm quite frustrated. Disappointed. Maybe even a bit angry, but I have been up for a while and my circadian rhythm is way messed up.

I had pretty high hopes for this, and I thought it was going to keep me from having to struggle to write a similar game. No such luck.

The PDF is 23 pages long. The zine is 40 pages, of which 6 might as well be blank.
The PDF has the front and back cover in single page portrait, and the remaining pages are all double-page landscape. Quite the odd choice, since only ONE page uses a full-spread layout, and it doesn't need to.
The art is sparse, but evocative. I don't usually buy games for art these days, so no biggie.

The terrible thing is I don't get any real game content until page 13 of the PDF (20 of the zine).
I get it. I do. This game has a couple of new ideas in it, maybe? So you have to spend some time explaining how the game might be played. But more than half the book? And before you've introduced any of the concepts?
One of the rules--just ONE--delineating adjustments to play based on the number of players is near the beginning of the book. Half a book away from the rest of the rules. Sigh.

The first half of the book is a a description of play. And it's really hard to pinpoint where it describes how to address two of the critical transitional aspects of play. I can find one of them after a LOT of hunting. The other is not present. Annotations should have been in a sidebar rather than in the flow. This would have optimized layout as well.

Honestly, the core of this storytelling framework could fit on 1-2 pages and could--should--have been explained MUCH better. It's missing detail on how to plan and direct story structure. A lot of the content feels like throwaway/filler content: wishy-washy, make-it-up-yourself with no firm map or guidance. Why bother to write the game, then?

Maybe someone else can tell me what I've missed.
In the meantime, I have to keep flagellating myself to finish MY diceless system or shut the hell up.

I picked up an electronic copy of Osprey's Paleomythic.

9781472834812.jpg

My crew wanted to try a Fire and Ice Movie style game.

I always thought Fire and Ice was the perfect visual representation of Barbarians of Lemuria.
We're weird, we felt BoL was best suited with it's implied setting (Lord knows I've tried to put into others, but they balked. And I am not one for force my players into anything), and they wanted something more 'stone age'. We also watch Gennedy Tartovski's Primal recently (Binge Watch parties are fun! Zzzzz) and I have no doubt that in part played a big part in their desire.

We are nothing if not easily swayed!

We're weird, we felt BoL was best suited with it's implied setting (Lord knows I've tried to put into others, but they balked. And I am not one for force my players into anything), and they wanted something more 'stone age'. We also watch Gennedy Tartovski's Primal recently (Binge Watch parties are fun! Zzzzz) and I have no doubt that in part played a big part in their desire.

Watch Parties are the best way to get players into a new setting. One Kung Fu Movie Marathon, and we are playing "Kung Fu Action Theater". Two top notch Chambara films, and I managed to get the people who swore never to play Japanese Fantasy into a Samurai Short that turned into a Samurai Chronicle. Mortal Combat or two was enough to get us into a mash up of Super Powers and Martial Arts. Rio Bravo got us into a western one shot. Media and or recommended books, if you strike while hot, can get them to play the chronicle of the moment.

I picked up an electronic copy of Osprey's Paleomythic.

9781472834812.jpg

My crew wanted to try a Fire and Ice Movie style game.
Feel free to give us updates on how that goes. I love the idea of a Fire & Ice style campaign. Which mechanics is this books using btw? When I read about Osprey books I tend to read various mechanics types or I'm just being dense and missing something.

Watch Parties are the best way to get players into a new setting. One Kung Fu Movie Marathon, and we are playing "Kung Fu Action Theater". Two top notch Chambara films, and I managed to get the people who swore never to play Japanese Fantasy into a Samurai Short that turned into a Samurai Chronicle. Mortal Combat or two was enough to get us into a mash up of Super Powers and Martial Arts. Rio Bravo got us into a western one shot. Media and or recommended books, if you strike while hot, can get them to play the chronicle of the moment.
Just a correction, when I put the Zzzz, it's because after the binge, I fell asleep. Primal was AWESOME! And I totally get why anyone would want to evoke that in a game! Just the scenery shots were epic, the really cool story telling was delicious icing on top. Even some of the more gross out (The Disease and Monkey Rage episodes, bear with I am Canadian, we're more squeamish when it comes to violence) episodes were some of the best.

Feel free to give us updates on how that goes. I love the idea of a Fire & Ice style campaign. Which mechanics is this books using btw? When I read about Osprey books I tend to read various mechanics types or I'm just being dense and missing something.
We're in a hiatus (I have a school teacher as a player, and they want in real bad) and I'm going to be reading the book soon. I gotta get the Kindle App back to my iPad too.

I have not heard of that series, but am a big fan of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab. I got myself a box set of Samurai Jack for Christmas. My wife is a freak for the Ark video game, so a show featuring a human and a T-rex might be right up her alley.

Paleomythic is on my (long) to get list.

I have not heard of that series, but am a big fan of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab. I got myself a box set of Samurai Jack for Christmas. My wife is a freak for the Ark video game, so a show featuring a human and a T-rex might be right up her alley.
It's violent, gory and very morally grey. But not in a drab, dreary way. But it's also very pretty to watch.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back