The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I love rum! A pirate's life for me!

Except grog tasted like crap. Friend got real recipes from the sailing era and we quickly gakked.

I prefer dark rum, the less processed the better. It's booze sugar and fun for sipping when you want SUGAR! and BUZZ! at the same time, and I enjoy leaving a good vanilla bean in the bottle.

I'm also a sucker for frilly drinks so fruit + rum + umbrella = happiness for me. And if it's tiki themed? Heaven.

Glad to hear it!

I wish we got good rum and tiki bars down here.

What are some good sippers?

I am very surprised you don't get good rum! What's up with that?

When it comes to spending cash on booze, I am a total wanker and a cheapskate (actually, that goes for most things!). My goto is Captain Morgan's Private Selection. It's far beyond their usual swill and I got hooked on it decades ago. I have gotten El Dorado's aged rum which was notably good, but $50 is twice what I usually spend.

Venezuela makes a rum called Diplomatico which I've heard about for years, but I've never seen for sale. I've heard near mythical tales of its quality. I have friends who swear by Myer's Dark Rum as the end all, be all, but I think its just for mixing. Both of them are pirate junkies, so Myer's "orignality" is part of the experience (even though no pirates existed when Myer's started their business).

In Mexico, I usually stay at all inclusive resorts and relax on a steady diet of Miami Vices which oddly I never see offered in LA. It's a red/white abomination where a pina colada is poured on one side of the glass while a rum daiquiri is poured on the opposite side. I could describe how absolutely delicious those are, but I'm at a library today and public masturbation is STILL frowned upon in LA.

I am very surprised you don't get good rum! What's up with that?

I chalk it up to cachaça cornering the sugarcane spirits niche. All we get is bottom-shelf swill — Bacardí, and a vile local brand.

I've sighted Zacapa Solera 23 and Havana Club Añejo 7 años at airports, and the rare liquor store, and both get a good rap on Distiller — Havana Club is very dry while Zacapa has more added sugar — and I go back and forth on which one to get.

When it comes to spending cash on booze, I am a total wanker and a cheapskate (actually, that goes for most things!). My goto is Captain Morgan's Private Selection. It's far beyond their usual swill and I got hooked on it decades ago. I have gotten El Dorado's aged rum which was notably good, but $50 is twice what I usually spend.

Venezuela makes a rum called Diplomatico which I've heard about for years, but I've never seen for sale. I've heard near mythical tales of its quality. I have friends who swear by Myer's Dark Rum as the end all, be all, but I think its just for mixing. Both of them are pirate junkies, so Myer's "orignality" is part of the experience (even though no pirates existed when Myer's started their business).

I've seen Diplomático for sale in NYC a few years back, but I wasn't into spirits at the time. Given the current crisis in Venezuela, it might be a while before you see it again...

In Mexico, I usually stay at all inclusive resorts and relax on a steady diet of Miami Vices which oddly I never see offered in LA. It's a red/white abomination where a pina colada is poured on one side of the glass while a rum daiquiri is poured on the opposite side. I could describe how absolutely delicious those are, but I'm at a library today and public masturbation is STILL frowned upon in LA.

Sounds... excessive. I should give it a try some day.

Absolutely nothing came out right, and I'm fucking pissed.

All of the guests loved the food, but they would have loved it so much more if it had been right.

Needed to double the maple syrup in the pork marinade, use less liquid in the yams-- they came out loose-- and the vinegar on the vegetables was just unnecessary.
Live and learn, I guess. As for me, I wouldn't have minded the yams being loose as that would be better than dry. But then again, what do I know. I still east ketchup, Heinz 57 or BBQ sauce on bread from time to time, much to my wife's chagrin. Bachelor habits are hard to break. :hehe:

What's the secret to pullapart bread so it doesn't become a calzone?
Honestly, I just made it up after work yesterday. I got the idea from how we make the cheese and pizza spiral buns at work. I bought a pound of french bread dough to use, then rolled it while dusting it with flour. The difference between what I made and calzone is that calzone is folded, whereas my bread was rolled. The pullapart part is doing the cuts in the bread before baking, so you can literally pull pieces off.

Had a soul food dinner tonight. BBQ chicken, and Mac and Cheese. Washed down with some Molson Canadians, and some "ok" bourbon not worth mentioning.

Had a soul food dinner tonight. BBQ chicken, and Mac and Cheese. Washed down with some Molson Canadians, and some "ok" bourbon not worth mentioning.

Let me guess: Bulleit or Woodford Reserve.

No, much lower quality and class. Evan Williams

Which by the way was all a bad idea. I feel like crap today. I'm sure its because of the Bourbon. But that's what I get for drinking on a sunday. Oh, well.

No, much lower quality and class. Evan Williams

Not my jam but I hear good things about their Black Label.

I’m getting a bottle of scotch when I’m in Europe next month. Trying to decide between a sherry bomb (Glendronach, Glenfarclas or Macallan) or a peat monster (Lagavulin or Laphroaig).

Regular Evan WIlliams is pretty trashy. But its cheap and that's what I was looking for. Now their single barrel stock is really good.

When it comes to Scotch, I'll pass on the "Peat Monsters". Not my thing. Make mine a Speyside. Preferably Macallan, and as old as I can afford. Although 21 year old Glenlivet is truly probably the best I've ever had.

It seems peaty scotch isn't terribly popular with bourbon fans.

Talisker 10yr is what got me into it. Beautiful dram, not because of the smoke per se but the mind-boggling complexity that takes you from smoke to brine to fruit to sugary cereal and back.

IMG_20180702_201401_442.jpg
I tried a new recipe I found in order to use leftover bread. It's called Strata and is basically a bread quiche. I used leftover marble and pumpernickel rye which I lightly toasted before soaking in the egg and milk mix..

We have been having a heatwave in England for the past, what, 5-6 weeks, with temperatures close to or exceeding 30 degrees Celcius (I know, everyone from Australia, Texas and even Russia are saying "Heatwave, you don't know what a Heatwave is") and I thought that Orange and Pineapple Squash wasn't going to cut it after my canalside walk today, so I bought some Kefir from the local Polish shop and made some Airan, which is just Kefir plus water, in equal measures. When I was in Russia a good few years ago, in 40C heat, my mother-in -law brought us out some Airan in a jamjar and I remember it being the most refreshing drink I had ever tasted. Even Polish Kefir with bottled water worked, as it was far more refreshing than Squash or Coke.
I am not a big fan of Kefir on its own, as it is too sickly for me, but Airan is really tasty and refreshing. It's a bit like Kumis, which tastes better than it sounds, or Indian Lassi. My wife keeps on trying to get me to eat Tvorog, but, to be honest, I'd rather starve, putting salt or sugar on it does not help, despite what she tells me.

I've recently developed a newfound love for hard cider.

It's cheaper than whiskey and tastes much better than beer, and I love it. I'm especially fond of Bold Rock (made right here in Virginia) and Smith & Forge as well.

I've been on a bit of a cider binge lately, actually. I'm feeling great and mildly buzzed right now.

But I can slow down much easier with cider than I can with whiskey or vodka, which are much easier to get completely fucked up on.

The secret is start high % alcohol, then switch to low % alcohol. :wink: "Liquor then beer, in the clear. Beer then liquor, never sicker." Think of it as a downward sloping ramp.

And then there's my personal faves, the upward sloping ramps! My Headache Challenge is: first malt liquor, then champagne, last tequila. Each of those is a hangover speciality all its own, but in that order it's positively MAGICAL! :angel: :weep: (But any order of beer < wine < liquor will do. :thumbsup: )

My body doesn't let me punish my liver like I used to anymore... :cry:

Scrub the grill while it’s hot. Before and after grilling.

That is all for today.

So I made traditional Filipino-style spaghetti, with the banana ketchup, and I was really looking forward to hating it. Well, I was bitterly disappointed, because now I am incapable-- I just refuse-- to make spaghetti any other way.

Even if I do cheat and go way short on the sweeteners.

I haven't mentioned it here, but I've had a really bad case of bronchitis with strep the last week. Been home from work, in and out of bed and the shower, and on an entirely liquid diet for about 5 days. I am as of this morning well enough to eat solid food (and bloody starving!).

All I really really want right now is a hamburger. A big, thick, juicy patty of bbq'd meat on a bun.

I haven't mentioned it here, but I've had a really bad case of bronchitis with strep the last week. Been home from work, in and out of bed and the shower, and on an entirely liquid diet for about 5 days. I am as of this morning well enough to eat solid food (and bloody starving!).

All I really really want right now is a hamburger. A big, thick, juicy patty of bbq'd meat on a bun.

Sorry to hear that, brother. Good to know you feel better already.

Burgers are one of the few meat dishes I prefer griddle-cooked to grilled, though.

Get better soon!

I don't get sick often, but when I do it knocks me on my ass. But looks like I'm mostly over it, most frustrating thing was that I was home all that time but wasn't able to get a bunch of work done because I couldn't read, write or draw for longer than 5 minutes without a splitting headache. Just felt like days were being stolen from my life. I get really frustrated if I dont get in a solid 5 hours of work a day (not counting my actual job or school)

Just getting ready to go out now and get some real lunch from nearby pub.

I've recently developed a newfound love for hard cider.

It's cheaper than whiskey and tastes much better than beer, and I love it. I'm especially fond of Bold Rock (made right here in Virginia) and Smith & Forge as well.

I've been on a bit of a cider binge lately, actually. I'm feeling great and mildly buzzed right now.

But I can slow down much easier with cider than I can with whiskey or vodka, which are much easier to get completely fucked up on.
You sir are a true American, or man of the land if not. As a dilatory student of history hard cider, or jack, was much the common drink over beer. Though my love of beer knows few bounds.

I don't get sick often, but when I do it knocks me on my ass. But looks like I'm mostly over it, most frustrating thing was that I was home all that time but wasn't able to get a bunch of work done because I couldn't read, write or draw for longer than 5 minutes without a splitting headache. Just felt like days were being stolen from my life. I get really frustrated if I dont get in a solid 5 hours of work a day (not counting my actual job or school)

Just getting ready to go out now and get some real lunch from nearby pub.
Good luck, we need you in top form

Shawarma is my current food obsession, the kids limit my range at home, though I make some wicked good steak tips and fajitas

Sounds insane. Do tell us more.

Banana ketchup isn't ketchup with bananas added. It's ketchup in which the bananas substitute for the tomatoes entirely.

I used four cans of plain tomato sauce, and filled two cans with hot and spicy banana ketchup. Sauteed, minced green peppers and red onions, minced garlic and ground beef. Topped with sliced, browned Filipino hot dogs and shredded colby cheese. Used sweetened condensed milk for the sweetener, but I cheated and instead of sweetening to the recipe, I sweetened to taste-- between a quarter and a third of what the recipe called for.

Seriously... never doing spaghetti Italian-style again. As proud as I was of the Italian-style recipe I have been honing all of my adult life, this is just better, so now I'm going to work on honing this recipe instead.

If you're interested... here's a couple of different recipes that I kitbashed into the one I used:

Filipino-style Spaghetti - kawaling pinoy
[URL='https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/166417/filipino-spaghetti/']Filipino Spaghetti Recipe - Allrecipes.com
[/URL]
http://www.hellthyjunkfood.com/jollibee1/

I used Jufran Hot & Spicy Banana Sauce, available across the street from me for $2.30 a bottle or on Amazon for $7.

wqoyuqW.jpg

Banana ketchup isn't ketchup with bananas added. It's ketchup in which the bananas substitute for the tomatoes entirely.

No, I get that. Same principle as the guava ketchup I mentioned earlier.

I used four cans of plain tomato sauce,

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Used sweetened condensed milk for the sweetener

I'm all for sweet and savory combos but the use of sweetened milk (including tacos al pastor) weirds me out a bit because that is the sweetest thing I can think of and I'd be hard-pressed to come up with something that was savory enough to counterbalance any meaningful amount of it.

The banana ketchup stretches and flavors the tomato sauce. It's not meant to replace it.

And plain tomato sauce is much, much cheaper than the prepared spaghetti sauces I used to use as a base.

I'm thinking to replace the sweetened condensed milk with plain white sugar... but gotta admit, I'm considering what it would taste like with another one of my favorite ingredients, maple syrup.

I used four cans of plain tomato sauce, and filled two cans with hot and spicy banana ketchup. Sauteed, minced green peppers and red onions, minced garlic and ground beef. Topped with sliced, browned Filipino hot dogs and shredded colby cheese. Used sweetened condensed milk for the sweetener, but I cheated and instead of sweetening to the recipe, I sweetened to taste-- between a quarter and a third of what the recipe called for.

Seriously... never doing spaghetti Italian-style again. As proud as I was of the Italian-style recipe I have been honing all of my adult life, this is just better, so now I'm going to work on honing this recipe instead.

If you're interested... here's a couple of different recipes that I kitbashed into the one I used:

Filipino-style Spaghetti - kawaling pinoy
Filipino Spaghetti Recipe - Allrecipes.com
http://www.hellthyjunkfood.com/jollibee1/

I used Jufran Hot & Spicy Banana Sauce, available across the street from me for $2.30 a bottle or on Amazon for $7.

wqoyuqW.jpg
You sold me. I am going to try it out!

So, who’s into sipping (as opposed to mixing) rum?

I had had rum before but only in (horrible) mojitos mixed at a bar close to where I live — mostly Sprite (!) and probably Bacardí white with a little mint thrown in for good measure. (Lots of bars here don’t seem to know what club soda is and you can’t buy it at a grocery store here, but that’s a rant for another day.)

And of course, we have cachaça but that’s a different beast.

Yesterday at a friend’s house I had a little draught of the amazing Zacapa 23 and was instantly hooked. Now I’m eyeing a bottle of Havana Club Añejo at a liquor store near work.

I read good things about Appleton, Diplomático, Foursquare and half a dozen others but they’re impossible to get here in Brazil.

My apologies for being gone from this thread for so long. There been a lot of things happening and I feel like I am finally recovering a bit.

I sip the rum. I gulp the rum. I mix the rum. Costco spiced is surprisingly good. Mount gay is too, but truth, I’m not that picky.

I love rum! A pirate's life for me!

Except grog tasted like crap. Friend got real recipes from the sailing era and we quickly gakked.

I prefer dark rum, the less processed the better. It's booze sugar and fun for sipping when you want SUGAR! and BUZZ! at the same time, and I enjoy leaving a good vanilla bean in the bottle.

I'm also a sucker for frilly drinks so fruit + rum + umbrella = happiness for me. And if it's tiki themed? Heaven.

I love love love tiki drinks. Reading back over this thread you and I could be taste bud siblings.

Friend of mine picked this up in Canada as thanks for watching his dog. He knows me too well. The finish is rum and smooth.

4C9B6E22-85F4-41E9-B58B-ED3102C757CD.jpeg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back