The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Friend of mine picked this up in Canada as thanks for watching his dog. He knows me too well. The finish is rum and smooth.

View attachment 3915

Very nice!

Visiting my sister in Germany right now, came across a really cool wine and liquor store. Walked out with a few samples of whiskies I’ve long meant to try but never find in Brazil: Highland Park, Bunnahabhain, Springbank and Glendronach.

Last edited:
Banana ketchup isn't ketchup with bananas added. It's ketchup in which the bananas substitute for the tomatoes entirely.

Compelling!

Seriously... never doing spaghetti Italian-style again. As proud as I was of the Italian-style recipe I have been honing all of my adult life, this is just better, so now I'm going to work on honing this recipe instead.
Arguable but de gustibus no est disputandum

If you're interested... here's a couple of different recipes that I kitbashed into the one I used:

Filipino-style Spaghetti - kawaling pinoy
Filipino Spaghetti Recipe - Allrecipes.com
http://www.hellthyjunkfood.com/jollibee1/

I used Jufran Hot & Spicy Banana Sauce, available across the street from me for $2.30 a bottle or on Amazon for $7.

Thank You for the tips

Wife went to babysit our nephews. So I'm on my own for lunch today. Frying up some polish sausage and sauerkraut for lunch. Got a Founders Brewing "All Day IPA" to wash it down with. Not bad, its not to hoppy only 42 IBU.

Wife went to babysit our nephews. So I'm on my own for lunch today. Frying up some polish sausage and sauerkraut for lunch. Got a Founders Brewing "All Day IPA" to wash it down with. Not bad, its not to hoppy only 42 IBU.

Great meal and very good pairing! (Although personally I’m a hard sell on IPAs in general — I tend to be less than thrilled by anything above 30 IBU.)

I just got home from Germany and pretty much had my fill of sausage and sauerkraut for, I dunno, the year? (Ask me again in a week!) :clown:

If you can measure the IBUs I will defer. I’ve had plenty of sub 10 that I just can’t handle. Just can’t get used to the flavor.

Great meal and very good pairing! (Although personally I’m a hard sell on IPAs in general — I tend to be less than thrilled by anything above 30 IBU.)

I just got home from Germany and pretty much had my fill of sausage and sauerkraut for, I dunno, the year? (Ask me again in a week!) :clown:
If you can measure the IBUs I will defer. I’ve had plenty of sub 10 that I just can’t handle. Just can’t get used to the flavor.
I will admit I'm not a big IPA guy. MOst of them seem to just want to stuff so much hops into its ridiculous. The all day ipa was alright. I much prefer Frankenmuth Brewery's IPA 69. That's really good. Even if your not a big IPA person, its really good and not overpowering with the hops.
Tonight I am BBQing butterflied pork chops with mashed potatoes. Covering the wifes with Sweet Baby Rays (per her request), and I'm rubbing mine with italian seasoning, and a little olive oil.

Oh, I almost forgot. Going classic American redneck with the beverage. Pabst Blue RIbbon.

My man! PBR is one of only two beers I genuinely like, the other being Heineken.

Unless you count hard cider and brewed beverages like Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Speaking of which, I'm getting paid tomorrow (an early payday because of the Labor Day weekend holiday) and I might get me some more hard cider or maybe some hard soda.

I haven't had a hard drink in about a month and a half, so why not?

Normally, I'll go with something like Bold Rock or Smith & Forge for my cider fix, and if I go the hard soda route, I'll probably get me some Mountain Ale, which I have had once before.

Mountain Ale is a citrus-flavored hard soda that is essentially Mountain Dew if it contained alcohol, and it tastes very good. It contains about 5% ABV, the same as most commercial beers.

Oh, I almost forgot. Going classic American redneck with the beverage. Pabst Blue RIbbon.

Hipster. :grin:

(edit: :shade::coffee: making Filipino blood stew tonight (dinuguan). Wish me luck!)

The missuz made a vegan cheesecake for a going away party for a colleague tomorrow night.
40365474_2147323415524666_5070271028219871232_o.jpg
Now it's just sitting there, taunting me. And she's at work at the moment ...

The vegan cheesecake was a huge success. I was lucky to escape alive with a couple of pieces for ourselves ...

Today for lunch I have peppered salami, heirloom tomatoes, leafy green lettuce, and Swiss cheese on a bagel. :thumbsup:

(Ran out of onions and pickles.)

Plus two bananas and a Pink Lady apple for after.

Visiting my sister in Germany right now, came across a really cool wine and liquor store. Walked out with a few samples of whiskies I’ve long meant to try but never find in Brazil: Highland Park, Bunnahabhain, Springbank and Glendronach.

Mildly disappointed with the Glendronach. It's good scotch, no doubt about it, but I expected something fruitier — I get toffee, vanilla and wood, very bourbon-y. The Bunnahabhain is more interesting but falls apart in the finish.

I suspect I'll have to keep looking for my go-to sherry bomb. Eyeing Macallan 12yr and Glenfarclas 15yr next time I'm abroad (even though they are a tad pricier). I do regret not picking up the Glenfarclas tasting set. Then it's back to the peaty stuff, and hopefully Irish next, or so goes the plan.

Springbank and HP up next.

Mildly disappointed with the Glendronach. It's good scotch, no doubt about it, but I expected something fruitier — I get toffee, vanilla and wood, very bourbon-y. The Bunnahabhain is more interesting but falls apart in the finish.

I suspect I'll have to keep looking for my go-to sherry bomb. Eyeing Macallan 12yr and Glenfarclas 15yr next time I'm abroad (even though they are a tad pricier). I do regret not picking up the Glenfarclas tasting set. Then it's back to the peaty stuff, and hopefully Irish next, or so goes the plan.

Springbank and HP up next.
You can not go wrong with Macallan. Can not! One of my very favorites.

Good to know. What’s your go-to, the 12 year sherry oak?
Yes it is.
ci-the-macallan-sherry-oak-12-year-919bc853bc66f4db.jpeg

The missuz made a vegan cheesecake for a going away party for a colleague tomorrow night.
View attachment 4218
Now it's just sitting there, taunting me. And she's at work at the moment ...

The "vegan" adjective gives me Advantage on my roll to resist the cheesecake! :dice:

(Actually, for auto-immune health reasons, I shouldn't eat vegan at all due to too many carbohydrates. Yes, it's still bad for me when including all the fiber. :hmmm: But you do you, boo-boo! :angel:)

Anything else I should place on my must-try list?
Aberfeldy, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet 12, Glenlivet 18 sherry cask, and get out your cheque book and pony up the big money for Glenlivet 21 yr old Archive. Then swing through Ireland on your way home and grab a bottle of Tullamore Dew.

Laphroiagh... The scotch of choice for actual scots.

Oh, it's there. Talisker 10yr (my current favorite) primed me for peaty scotch. Tried Port Charlotte Heavily Peated and thought it was okay. Can't wait to try Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg, hopefully in this order.

Aberfeldy,

Passed by the 12yr at the duty free store recently. Price was not bad buf Distiller reviews struck me as lackluster so I didn't get it.

Glenfiddich,

I have the 12yr. It's okay. Monkey Shoulder, a blended malt that combines Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie, is better.

Glenlivet 12,

Fiendishly hard to find overseas since they rolled out the "Founder's Reserve" NAS.

Glenlivet 18 sherry cask, and get out your cheque book and pony up the big money for Glenlivet 21 yr old Archive.

I intend to explore the different types of scotch at a more value-driven price range before moving up to the 18-year and greater range — where I have little doubt great stuff awaits me!

My initial plan was to collect and appreciate one good blend (Monkey Shoulder), one classic, accessible single malt (Glenfiddich 12yr) and then move on to variants such as a Highland sherry bomb (settled on Glendronach 12yr. Happy I got the sample, as it struck me as a tasty but not very typical sherried scotch. Bunnahabhain 12yr was closer to what I expected), an Islay peat monster (Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg, pending availability), and so on.

But of course, stuff happens; the Diageo online store had a sale and Talisker 10yr was very accessible. After reading many rave reviews I just had to get a bottle! Did not disappoint.

Then swing through Ireland on your way home and grab a bottle of Tullamore Dew.

Tried this recently, was pleasantly surprised. Struck me as very bourbon-y. Good dram, but I have been craving complexity.

Irish whiskey other than Jameson is plain impossible to find here in Brazil, except at very high-end importers and at crazy mark-ups. But Green Spot, Powers John's Lane and Redbreast 12yr are also on my list.

You need to visit us hillbillies in Merica. The little grocery store here in my "village" has a great selection of scotch (Hell, all types of whisky in general) and other liquors. Stop by and visit. We'll haul ass around in high horsepower vehicles, drink copious amounts of fine alcohol, and fire off large caliber high capacity firearms. (Just not all at once) It will be good times. Bring the little ones, it never to early for them to learn what a wheels up launch means.:wink::grin:

You need to visit us hillbillies in Merica. The little grocery store here in my "village" has a great selection of scotch (Hell, all types of whisky in general) and other liquors. Stop by and visit. We'll haul ass around in high horsepower vehicles, drink copious amounts of fine alcohol, and fire off large caliber high capacity firearms. (Just not all at once) It will be good times. Bring the little ones, it never to early for them to learn what a wheels up launch means.:wink::grin:

I know! I’ve seen the pics. :wink:

I meant to visit in December to attend a conference, but with the current exchange rate I’m less than thrilled. Maybe in March if the market takes a shine to whatever dumbass we elect president this year and the dollar takes a good enough plunge.

Out of curiosity. What replaces the cheese? Does cheesecake have actual cheese in it in the first place? so confused.
There's some sort of weird wizardry involved, that may or may not involve human sacrifice ... Also, stuff like Tofutti "cream cheese", silken tofu, and various other ingredients (sugar, spices, etc.).

I've got some Cuban run given to me by a good friend I really should do something with. Yet to decide what.

The biggest problem the wife and I (both southern US natives) have living in England is we find most of the food bland. Especially after living in Germany for a while. Oh, damn the food was really good and the beer was great. Our friends here are usually amazed when we cook and stuff themselves. Leftovers are rarely a problem.

I've got some Cuban run given to me by a good friend I really should do something with. Yet to decide what.

The biggest problem the wife and I (both southern US natives) have living in England is we find most of the food bland. Especially after living in Germany for a while. Oh, damn the food was really good and the beer was great. Our friends here are usually amazed when we cook and stuff themselves. Leftovers are rarely a problem.
You know what the best thing to do with Cuban rum is?
Drink it:wink::grin:

Further adventures in scotch whisky.

Glendronach 12yr was more interesting in a second tasting. Finally teased out the dried fruit, raisin element. Thought about it the whole following day. Probably getting a full-sized bottle further down the line.

Highland Park 12yr was interesting. There's no doubt it's very good scotch, complex and balanced. Citrus and something sweet (malt? honey?) up front, with smoke and brine taking a backseat (and getting more pronounced with a few drops of water), but honestly felt aomehow lacking to me. Maybe it just compares unfavorably to my beloved Talisker.

Oh, damn the food was really good and the beer was great. Our friends here are usually amazed when we cook and stuff themselves. Leftovers are rarely a problem.
German food is ambrosia from heaven.
I have no opinion on beer as I get all my alcohol from my neighbors honey bees, or moonshine still depending on the season.

Our office is closed today and there's no school so I'm doing stuff with the kids at home (wife has to work). For lunch: sirloin medallions with garlic and onion seasoning, wrapped in bacon, accompanied by sliced "baby blonde" potatoes seasoned with paprika, plus a bottle of Stella Artois. For me; the kids don't get beer.

I put some homemade peanut sauce on a grill cheese sandwich for dinner tonight. It was pretty decent.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back