The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Dessert appreciators, it seems I'm the only one I know who likes marzipan. Wondering if I'm some kind of treat rebel or whether everyone else has bad taste.

Dessert appreciators, it seems I'm the only one I know who likes marzipan. Wondering if I'm some kind of treat rebel or whether everyone else has bad taste.
I like marzipan as well::honkhonk:! What kind of people don't:shock:!?!

I like marzipan as well::honkhonk:! What kind of people don't:shock:!?!
As a USian, it isn't a common candy for sure, it might also be a factor.

I was introduced as a kid because I have an uncle who lives in Spain who would send my parents turron and marzipan for Christmas. I'm pretty ambivalent on the turron, but I may have hogged the entire box of marzipan over a few days.

How many people you know have even eaten it recently? I can’t remember the last time I had it. Like you point out later, it ain’t common here.

As a USian, it isn't a common candy for sure, it might also be a factor.

I was introduced as a kid because I have an uncle who lives in Spain who would send my parents turron and marzipan for Christmas. I'm pretty ambivalent on the turron, but I may have hogged the entire box of marzipan over a few days.
It's not quite common here, either, though it used to be used a lot, decades ago:shade:.

And yeah, getting used to it is definitely a factor:thumbsup:.

Since I have been reminded about pizza, I might as well post the one I made (compiled, really) this weekend.

Garlic and herb base (pre-made), pizza-style tomato paste, cheese, hot hungarian salami, more cheese, ham, bacon, chorizo, capsicum, jalapenos, anchovies, pineapple, onion, yet more cheese.

IMG20240427142155.jpg

IMG20240427152421.jpg

IMG20240427152536.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240427152536.jpg
    IMG20240427152536.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 0
So, since whole chickens were on sale at Fry's this week, we decided to try duplicating our favorite fast food restaurant meal from California: Zankou Chicken. So today we set to it, and made everything from scratch at home: pita bread, toum (which is what their famed garlic sauce really is), tabbouleh, and oven-roasted garlic chicken (since we don't have a rotisserie). It. Was. Fabulous. My middle son says that this is all that he wants for his birthday dinners from here on out.

I've been adding a pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon or cloves (ground, of course) to my coffee lately and people have complimented it. It's a handy way to get rid of those baking spices you never use otherwise.

I've been adding a pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon or cloves (ground, of course) to my coffee lately and people have complimented it. It's a handy way to get rid of those baking spices you never use otherwise.
I tend to add a tbs of cocoa to my coffee (plus a splash of milk (1-1.5 tbs). When needing "something else" I will add a pinch of cayenne or cinnamon (or both).

Back in the Navy, the coffee was terrible. It was canned, ground coffee, and rumour was it was half chicory. So what we used to do was steal a can of cinnamon from the wardroom, then top each filter full of grounds with about a tablespoon of cinnamon. Made the coffee much more bearable.

Is this… some kind of local grocery chain?

Cuz when I think of Fry’s I just think of a now defunct electronics chain.
Yes. And yes. Fry's Food and Drug was founded in Northern California back in the 1950s. The founder sold the chain in 1972, and his sons used their portion of the proceeds of the sale to found Fry's Electronics. They kept the rights to the name as long as they didn't use it in connection with a grocery store. The grocery brand eventually wound up in the Kroger stable, and they use it here in Arizona.

Cuz when I think of Fry’s I just think of a now defunct electronics chain.
You do know that the Fry's electronics was originated by a team from Fry's Markets/ drugs. That is why Fry's had a supermarket-esk checkout, it works for volume.

You say this like its something everyone should know.
The only reason I know is because when I moved to Arizona I was very confused. So I looked it up.

I can only imagine how confused people were in Phoenix, where they had both Fry's grocery stores and Fry's Electronics at the same time. They must have had to put up signs, or hand out flyers or something.

The only reason I know is because when I moved to Arizona I was very confused. So I looked it up.

I can only imagine how confused people were in Phoenix, where they had both Fry's grocery stores and Fry's Electronics at the same time. They must have had to put up signs, or hand out flyers or something.
There's an Abbot and Costello routine in there somewhere.

That... doesn't seem inherently confusing? It's not like you're going to accidently buy a hundred diodes in place of raisins.

This is a common fragrance mix.
  • Use that and allspice and you have pumpkin spice (you can sometimes replace the nutmeg with the allspice); you are now the Kwitzak Haderak of the Lulu Lemon Yoga Chicks.
  • Add it to turmeric, curry (ground leaf), cumin, coriander, and chili and you have a solid curry mix base.
  • Add cocoa and you have a spiced chocolate mix, good for both hot chocolate drink and even better in oatmeal (good low sugar option as the fragrance helps the mind feel sated and use less sugar).
  • Use with ginger powder in sugar cookies and get a variant for ginger snaps or gingerbread; add cardamom for more classic recipe.
  • This plus black pepper and ginger powder makes colonial era Kitchen Pepper, used by common folks to stretch black pepper. 2 Tbsp ginger ground, 1 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, 1 Tbsp black pepper. Goes great for cooked fruit, like pie filling, or compote.
  • Add licorice flavor and peppercorn, and subtract nutmeg, for Chinese 5 spice. Licorice flavor is typically done by anise and fennel both. Licorice and wormwood and others are typically too expensive and potent for this mix.
Also good in nosegays and pomanders, and you can wear it as a hat or a brooch, revitalize you in the afternoon, and use it to keep away ghosts, was used to reveal guilt in that murder case, and... :dead: ... hold up... rebooting. :errr: Was starting to lose it, I channeled a women's magazine. :angel: Hope some of that was useful!

Tonight I discovered that if you put a tiny bit, like 1/8 of a shot, of allspice dram in your whiskey sour, it gives it a really nice spicy note, makes it really unique. I've discovered it twice now, may go discover it for a third time.

I have three racks of ribs that have been sitting in my freezer since my grocery store had a "buy one, get two free" sale on them. I'm gonna cook one those racks next week. Not sure how yet. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

No smoker. I've got a charcoal grill, an oven, a slow cooker, and an air fryer.

Tonight I discovered that if you put a tiny bit, like 1/8 of a shot, of allspice dram in your whiskey sour, it gives it a really nice spicy note, makes it really unique. I've discovered it twice now, may go discover it for a third time.
I make a cherry limeade sour that is scrumptious. 2oz whiskey, 1 ounce lime juice, 1 ounce simple syrup, and 1.5 tspn Luxardo cherry syrup and shake.

I make a cherry limeade sour that is scrumptious. 2oz whiskey, 1 ounce lime juice, 1 ounce simple syrup, and 1.5 tspn Luxardo cherry syrup and shake.
Limeade is my favorite soft drink. When I was single I used to buy the frozen concentrate and keep a gallon of it in the fridge constantly. And, mixed with a shot of tequila, it makes a decent poor-man's margarita. But, my wife thinks it's gross, and has poisoned my children's minds against me....

Tonight it's Old Fashioneds. My wife cans homemade cocktail cherries from cherries that we grow in our own backyard every year. They make the best Old Fashioneds.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back