TV recommendation thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It’s a great book by Jeff Vandemeer, sounds like they took a Ballardian novel and turned it into a action film?

It's back? They did a whole big series finale a few years ago.

I dunno, I'm not "up to speed" on current events. My life has been basically go to work, go school, stay home and write for a while now, with occasional gaming being my only social activity. My fiance was the social one. I'm a hermit.

I seemed to have subscribed to VRV at a good time. VRV just added every last bit of Stargate, including the new Stargate Origins streaming series. Between Amazon Prime Video and VRV, I think I can watch just about every science-fiction show aired in the '80s, '90s, and 2000s.

Yes, it is. Trust me. It approaches "Gail Simone has been trolling the comic book industry for twenty years" levels by end of first season.

Knowing Gail Simone, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it turned out she had been, but... Can you explain what you mean by that?

I seemed to have subscribed to VRV at a good time. VRV just added every last bit of Stargate, including the new Stargate Origins streaming series. Between Amazon Prime Video and VRV, I think I can watch just about every science-fiction show aired in the '80s, '90s, and 2000s.
You have to go to Go90 for Babylon 5, and I believe they lack the prequel and pilot.

Sadly, nobody has Farscape at the moment.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

I don't want to run afoul of the "no politics"[1] rule; suffice it to say that everyone knows full well why "girlfriend in the fridge" is a trope, and Simone's professed motives get less and less believable as time goes on. Her run on the New 52 Batgirl is when she hit "this cannot possibly be unintentional" territory. If you want more detail, PM me.

[1] Frankly, I get tired of the fact that everything is political now, making it difficult to even discuss an author's putative stance on any contemporary issue.

I watched the first episode of Krypton today. It was okie. Honestly, I was most impressed by the special effects and sets than anything else. It's like Krypton right out of the Man of Steel film. It's pretty clear that the Syfy Channel is spending a lot of money on the show. The show's big problem IMO is that it's suffering the Star Trek: Enterprise effect. It wants to be both a prequel and a sequel to Superman, with the whole Adam Strange/time travel/saving Superman thing.

I can not wait to see Brainiac though. He looks awesome from the preview.

Watched the first two episodes of this adaptation of Dan Simmon's The Terror and I think we may have a remarkable show on our hands.

It has the confidence to be quiet and slow burn, it is beautifully shot, acted and scored. A terrific sense of foreboding and doom hangs over it all, no surprise considering the true story it uses as the basis for its supernatural horror story (i.e. you know there is never going to be another season). A delight for horror fans.

The-Terror-key-art-5.jpg

Watched the first two episodes of this adaptation of Dan Simmon's The Terror and I think we may have a remarkable show on our hands.

It has the confidence to be quiet and slow burn, it is beautifully shot, acted and scored. A terrific sense of foreboding and doom hangs over it all, no surprise considering the true story it uses as the basis for its supernatural horror story (i.e. you know there is never going to be another season). A delight for horror fans.

View attachment 1506
Thanks for the heads up. As I only watch things on demand now, I tend to be oblivious to when shows actually come out. I've been looking forward to this, but I didn't realize it had started.

In case anyone didn't know, The Americans just started its new season last night.
Love this show. Recorded the premiere, hope to get a chance to watch it tonight.
Watching Westworld for the second damn, this time with the missuz. Not perfect, but damn good stuff.
Also checking out Travelers on Netflix. Interesting, but the verdict is still out.

Love this show. Recorded the premiere, hope to get a chance to watch it tonight.
Watching Westworld for the second damn, this time with the missuz. Not perfect, but damn good stuff.
Also checking out Travelers on Netflix. Interesting, but the verdict is still out.
Westworld fooled me because when i first heard about it and saw some stills of actors in costume I thought it was a Western and didn't equate it with the Yul Brynner movie. Haven't seen it since I'm not into that type of high concept stuff. Had it been a Western like I thought I probably would've checked it out because at the very least I have a big crush on Thandie Newton. Not actually sure what channel it's on.

I'm not sure if I will have time to get around to The Americans until next week. Then again, building up a backlog in my DVR that I can gorge on when I start the season wouldn't be a bad thing.

Westworld fooled me because when i first heard about it and saw some stills of actors in costume I thought it was a Western and didn't equate it with the Yul Brynner movie. Haven't seen it since I'm not into that type of high concept stuff. Had it been a Western like I thought I probably would've checked it out because at the very least I have a big crush on Thandie Newton. Not actually sure what channel it's on.
I believe it's on HBO. I got from the library the first time, then found it on sale at Target, so picked it up for a second viewing. Definitely NOT a traditional Western. :smile:

I'm not sure if I will have time to get around to The Americans until next week. Then again, building up a backlog in my DVR that I can gorge on when I start the season wouldn't be a bad thing.

Ha...I have a huge backlog of shows I've taped. Highly unlikely I'll watch even a fraction of them. More often than not I end up shrugging and deleting them. It's taken me about four months just to watch the first season of "The High Chaparral." Three more seasons to go...

...and then I have "The Green Hornet" and "The Big Valley" to get through. I had recorded a lot of Westerns, including probably a hundred episodes of "Gunsmoke," but ended up deleting them since I knew there wasn't a snowball's chance in Hades I'd ever get to watch them. It takes a lot to pull me into watching a series anyway. Much more inclined to read a book.

Thandie is awesome in Westworld, I think it works both as sf and a Western to a greater degree than the film since it has more time to explore the Western setting.

Thandie is awesome in Westworld, I think it works both as sf and a Western to a greater degree than the film since it has more time to explore the Western setting.

That's actually why I prefer TV series to most movies, and books to TV.

Every time they make a super hero movie, especially, I just think it's largely a waste of a character's potential. Batman, for instance, has so many great villains and story possibilities, but the movies just keep using the Joker over and over and leave out Robin altogether because (1) no screen time to really get into his world, and of course (2) Hollywood is mostly a crap factory.

I realize this would be of zero interest but Thandie does spend a fair bit of WW nude as well, although in a very unerotic way.

Have you checked out Godless?

Netflix has a series by Brazilian director José Padilha (of Elite Squad fame) called The Mechanism — a (slightly) fictionalized retelling of the sprawling corruption schemata involving Brazil's major political parties, the state-owned oil company, and a group of high-profile government contractors.

My interest is obvious but for anyone who's the least bit curious, it's worth checking out. Strong performances all around, and (despite an uproar of protests from supporters of the recently ousted ruling party) mostly factual.

Has Person of Interest been mentioned? I just finished watching it for the first time. Excellent series: Starts as a deceptive (but clever and unique) procedural and then evolves into a very smart piece of science fiction.

It’s a great book by Jeff Vandemeer, sounds like they took a Ballardian novel and turned it into a action film?

Not really. Paramount apparently WANTED to turn it into an action movie at the 11th hour, but they'd given the director final cut and he said, "No." (Which is when they dumped the international rights to Netflix.)

The movie basically takes the premise of the book and tells a different, film-sized story with it. The result is a deep mindfuck of a movie. If you liked Garland's Ex Machina, Annihilation is basically in that same vein, but on a much more expansive scale (and, obviously, exploring completely different SF themes).

Has Person of Interest been mentioned? I just finished watching it for the first time. Excellent series: Starts as a deceptive (but clever and unique) procedural and then evolves into a very smart piece of science fiction.

I started to watch this and then it got pulled from view-on-demand just as it started to get really interesting.

Supergirl, Riverdale, Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supernatural, and Black Lightning have all been renewed for another season.

Is Black Lighting any good?

Frankenstein Chronicles, recently added to Canadian Netflix, is an interesting show that should be of interest to genre and horror fans.

Man, Amazon Prime has a lot of REALLY bad movies. :smile: If you enjoy that sort of entertainment, just do a search for John Agar and see what happens ...

Amazon Prime also added a bunch of NBC shows, including Parks & Recreation. Ron Swanson is my idol.

giphy.gif

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back