What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Curse of Strahd was fun last night. We didn't actually get to our final battle with Strahd, but we definitely will next time. In our game, it's ended up being a Jets/Sharks thing, where we've agreed to meet up at a certain time and place and fight under certain rules, haha.

Savage Worlds night tonight. 3 of my 4 old-reliables are definitely coming, haven't heard from my 2 occasionals, so they're probably not coming, and my 4th old-reliable is a mystery. She almost always plays, but usually doesn't confirm until the last minute, which is mildly annoying.

Oh well, if we're short on PCs they have a lot of allies who could help them in the current battle.... if the PCs think to ask them. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

The Imperium and the attitudes that it has and espouses. Here are her messages from our group chat:

We did try to explain that the Imperium are bad guys and the original intention of the setting was as a satire, but it didn't make her feel any better about it or playing as someone enforcing those values. To be honest I don't even disagree with her, I think she's right, but it's a distinction our different cultural upbringings have made us react differently to.

Also, "while living through the end of the world" maybe isn't the best time for a grimdark game just in general.

I can relate to a degree — and I would actually love to start a thread on the subject but I’m not sure the Pub might be the ideal forum for that.

Once travel is somewhat realistic I'd like to consider a move to Portugal. At least for a year is so so the kids get a feel for another culture. My mothers and her parents are of Portuguese descent but American for several generations so it's more out of faux nostalgia than any true close cultural contact. I have been to Portugal and stayed in Lisbon, Coimbra, Porto and cruised the Duro river to Salamanca.

Anyone here live in Portugal? I'd like to get a feel for what living there with four kids might be like.

I think João Talassa João Talassa does.

I love Portugal. If for any reason I had to leave Brazil it’s where I would be headed, and not just because of the proximity (culture, language, evena medical license would be easier for me to get there compared to, say, the US or UK). Brazilians have been emigrating there in droves, often to the consternation of the natives.

Amazing quality of life, beautiful nature and architecture, mild Mediterranean weather, incredible food (and wine), well, you know the place.

I can relate to a degree — and I would actually love to start a thread on the subject but I’m not sure the Pub might be the ideal forum for that.
Might be one for the curated status depending on what exactly we'd be discussing.

Holy shit, five of my six players are going to make it tonight! It's almost always either three or four! I am one happy E-Rocker! Time for my pre-game dinner. And shower, so I look fresh and clean on the video call :clown:.

Your players will appreciate it when you go for the Game Naked option.
Yeah there's a bit of hypocrisy on forums where it's bad for GMs to make "concealed rolls" and yet somehow okay for them to wear clothes. A GM with confidence in their adjudication doesn't need to hide behind a screen or clothes or anything else. This was the original playstyle after all: Gygaxian Naturalism.

Last edited:
Player: I, uh, I'd like my character to ... um ...

DM: Spit it out man, we're rolling for initiative here!

Player: I'll try to hide in the folds, no, the rolls, I meant the ... argh

DM: You going to what in the what now? The floor of the cave is flat....

Player: I want to attack the chest hair from behind.

DM: The cave bear? You said you hand't read this module.

Player: Can I use Inspiration to get you to put on some pants?

Given how much easier it is to draw on a larger scale, I'm tempted to start mapping on full sized bristol board and then shrinking it digitally for online use. We'll see how my training with my new drawing tablet goes though. I just started messing about with it and Krita yesterday, and the learning curve seems kinda steep. Hopefully I can move to digital mapping entirely at some point.

In C.J's Wednesday game, Slinky and his pals Ugh and Hoss were involved in mass combat against a all-out attack by the Sewer Rat goblins and hobgoblins. We came up behind their fire mage who was burning down The Bucket of Blood, a bar where the Nobodies east side leadership hang out. We killed her and then fought off her minions, with help from other Nobodies who had rallied to our aid. There are now vacancies in the east side Nobodies leadership. Hoss and Ugh are smart but Hoss is an ogre and Ugh is a goblin, so they are explaining to Slinky that he should take over. He finds the idea attractive but, being as smart as a box of rocks, will likely fuck it up.

In my Thursday game, Father Wilbo was acting strangely. Father Tjeet told us that it seemed like demonic possession. Then Father T was able to confirm his diagnosis with a spell. We managed to hold Father W down while Father T performed the exorcism and the demon manifested in the room. The ensuing fight was fairly easy because Brother Ameet has a Demon Bane mace. Then a messenger arrived telling us that the Empress appeared to be possessed. For reasons of Old Meos politics, we were the ones who had to act. When we got there, a Flameserpent exited the Empress and manifested. This was far from an easy fight. Father T was burned to a crips and Bors, the circus strongman and wrestler, was below 0 and had to save versus death. Brother Ameet and Ashalla, an NPC, were burned but still active when the critter died.

Last edited:
I can't recall the exact wording, and I don't know to whom the quote should be attributed, but I'm sure you've all heard it: "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." And you've probably heard, or at least thought of, the RPG corollary, "no plan survives contact with the players."

Yup.

In our previous Savage Worlds session, Episode 24, nearly the entire session was taken up with a battle, which did not reach its conclusion. And although the PCs had not taken any Wounds, they were still clearly in a pretty dire situation, fighting two Wildcard witches who had just summoned a Wildcard Greater Demon (Scoria from Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell, a book which incidentally lists the Pub's own Tommy Brownell Tommy Brownell as one of the contributors. I don't know which part(s) he did). The portal to Hell was still open.

Prior to Episode 25, knowing that a battle with 3 Wildcards who each have their own special abilities would be a lot to keep track of, I spread out a bunch of index cards and official Status Cards and glass beads to use as counters and so forth on my dining room table. Also spent a lot of time with the rulebooks to make sure I knew exactly how those abilities worked.

Then that session got cancelled at the last minute because a player had a migraine. No problem, I'm not going to begrudge anyone for getting sick. But, since I only need a small corner of the table for eating, and it was a fair bit of effort to set all that stuff up, I decided to just leave it on the table for the two weeks until the next session. Again, no big deal, and it was kind of fun because every time I walked through the room, I had a visual reminder of the looming epic battle. Each of the witches had different supernatural Extras they could summon, Scoria would order his legions of Hell to come through the portal and fight, and I was genuinely worried about what to do if I ended up killing off the party.

Cut to last night, Episode 25, which picked up right where the previous session left off, mid-battle.

Combat round one: The PCs, with a much greater degree of brutality than they've typically employed, straight up murder the shit out of both of the witches. I don't remember what Scoria did this round, but whatever it was, it didn't make much impact.

Very beginning of combat round two: Scoria and the PC Zera both draw Jokers for their Action Cards. Zera wins the opposed Agility roll to go first. Zera successfully pushes Scoria back into the Hell-portal from whence he come. Usually I forget to spend my GM bennies at all, but I spent both of Scoria's bennies and all of my GM bennies trying to keep him in play, but I never rolled well enough.

So, by the time we've concluded the first action of the second round, Scoria is back in Hell, and the witches are dead, so there is no one to summon him back. Battle over.

I don't mind that the PCs won the battle. Heck, I'm happy they won the battle, because now I don't need to worry about what to do regarding dead PCs.

But almost all my prep had gone towards the battle, so when it ended after one round + one more action, I didn't really have enough material to fill up the rest of the session. I did have a couple of more RP-focused bits in mind, and we got through those, but once that was done, I just went ahead and called the game @ 9:20 pm rather than the scheduled 10:00 pm, since I knew that stumbling through 40 minutes of a session where the GM had nothing in mind wouldn't be much fun for anyone. I know some GMs could easily improvise an enjoyable 40 minutes, and there are days when I can, but I was definitely not in that headspace last night.

I'm not mad or anything, just sort of ... bemused.

Anyway, later I'll write up the session in my usual style.

Last edited:
I knew I shouldn't have said this to the players between session: "Considering we left off mid-battle, if you have the time and inclination, it's probably worth your while to re-read the Combat chapter." :clown:

They did, and they did a much better job of using Tests and teamwork than they typically have in the past. Which actually makes me really happy. But it made for a short battle.

Might be one for the curated status depending on what exactly we'd be discussing.
Indeed. I think everyone could agree on the 40k setting being an awful, awful place to live - that's text - and the parallels to awful regimes IRL are also deliberate. But the core question here is is this a setting I am comfortable spending my leisure time in; and it's a question that everybody has to answer for themselves because there isn't a right or wrong answer, it's all how we feel about it, and I think we'd all agree that it's unfair to force someone to play a game they wouldn't enjoy, for whatever reason. Personally, I am comfortable with it, but I have space and emotional distance from the source material (My issues are hated IRL but something the Imperium wouldn't give a shit about - I've got two arms and could hold a lasgun, so I could go and die for the Emperor - and I've also never lived in the sort of regime that the setting uses as a backdrop) that other folk don't.

Given how much easier it is to draw on a larger scale, I'm tempted to start mapping on full sized bristol board and then shrinking it digitally for online use. We'll see how my training with my new drawing tablet goes though. I just started messing about with it and Krita yesterday, and the learning curve seems kinda steep. Hopefully I can move to digital mapping entirely at some point.
Getting large items scanned can be a challenge. Most scanners go up to A4 or A3 and you have to go to special large format scanners past that.

Getting large items scanned can be a challenge. Most scanners go up to A4 or A3 and you have to go to special large format scanners past that.
Scanners? You are fancy, aren't you? I was just thinking to take a well lit photo at a good res.

I haven't played or run anything since I put my cosmic level superhero game on hiatus. With co-workers having been out due to Covid, working extra hours has me spending more time recuperating on my days off. As I mentioned before, I'm writing some flash/micro-fiction, but haven't finished the collection I've been working on.

RPG wise, I had a friend ask me if I wanted to release an old setting he helped write for an rpg that came out in the early 2000's. He'd even color the old art from the project, and I could have all this for free to release. As he was working on coloring the art and we were pitching ideas back and forth, he suggested one group from the setting be pulled out, and put out on their own. It was actually easy to modify their background (which is a group of black ops metahumans who are all US military) for more sandbox use. I've got most of them converted over to Supers! Revised, and my friend was looking for some old adventure material he had for them. I had a few bad guys who are more terrorist types, so they're going to be used as one of the teams opponents.

I whipped this cover up to keep me motivated:
jvv5TbEl.jpg

I can't recall the exact wording, and I don't know to whom the quote should be attributed, but I'm sure you've all heard it: "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." And you've probably heard, or at least thought of, the RPG corollary, "no plan survives contact with the players."

Yup.

In our previous Savage Worlds session, Episode 24, nearly the entire session was taken up with a battle, which did not reach its conclusion. And although the PCs had not taken any Wounds, they were still clearly in a pretty dire situation, fighting two Wildcard witches who had just summoned a Wildcard Greater Demon (Scoria from Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell, a book which incidentally lists the Pub's own Tommy Brownell Tommy Brownell as one of the contributors. I don't know which part(s) he did). The portal to Hell was still open.

Prior to Episode 25, knowing that a battle with 3 Wildcards who each have their own special abilities would be a lot to keep track of, I spread out a bunch of index cards and official Status Cards and glass beads to use as counters and so forth on my dining room table. Also spent a lot of time with the rulebooks to make sure I knew exactly how those abilities worked.

Then that session got cancelled at the last minute because a player had a migraine. No problem, I'm not going to begrudge anyone for getting sick. But, since I only need a small corner of the table for eating, and it was a fair bit of effort to set all that stuff up, I decided to just leave it on the table for the two weeks until the next session. Again, no big deal, and it was kind of fun because every time I walked through the room, I had a visual reminder of the looming epic battle. Each of the witches had different supernatural Extras they could summon, Scoria would order his legions of Hell to come through the portal and fight, and I was genuinely worried about what to do if I ended up killing off the party.

Cut to last night, Episode 25, which picked up right where the previous session left off, mid-battle.

Combat round one: The PCs, with a much greater degree of brutality than they've typically employed, straight up murder the shit out of both of the witches. I don't remember what Scoria did this round, but whatever it was, it didn't make much impact.

Very beginning of combat round two: Scoria and the PC Zera both draw Jokers for their Action Cards. Zera wins the opposed Agility roll to go first. Zera successfully pushes Scoria back into the Hell-portal from whence he come. Usually I forget to spend my GM bennies at all, but I spent both of Scoria's bennies and all of my GM bennies trying to keep him in play, but I never rolled well enough.

So, by the time we've concluded the first action of the second round, Scoria is back in Hell, and the witches are dead, so there is no one to summon him back. Battle over.

I don't mind that the PCs won the battle. Heck, I'm happy they won the battle, because now I don't need to worry about what to do regarding dead PCs.

But almost all my prep had gone towards the battle, so when it ended after one round + one more action, I didn't really have enough material to fill up the rest of the session. I did have a couple of more RP-focused bits in mind, and we got through those, but once that was done, I just went ahead and called the game @ 9:20 pm rather than the scheduled 10:00 pm, since I knew that stumbling through 40 minutes of a session where the GM had nothing in mind wouldn't be much fun for anyone. I know some GMs could easily improvise an enjoyable 40 minutes, and there are days when I can, but I was definitely not in that headspace last night.

I'm not mad or anything, just sort of ... bemused.

Anyway, later I'll write up the session in my usual style.

I did much of the mechanics and much of the editing/proofing, plus general development. But it was very much a team effort.

I did much of the mechanics and much of the editing/proofing, plus general development. But it was very much a team effort.

Cool!

In that case, would you mind answering a question about the Hell-forged trapping for weapons? The book mentions that Hell-forged weapons do extra damage vs. supernaturally good creatures. It also mentions that when a Hell-forged weapon hits, there's a roll to see if the target catches on fire.

From the way it's phrased, it's not clear to me, is it only supernaturally good targets hit by Hell-forged weapons that are at risk of catching fire, or is it any targets hit by Hell-forged weapons?

Thanks!

Cool!

In that case, would you mind answering a question about the Hell-forged trapping for weapons? The book mentions that Hell-forged weapons do extra damage vs. supernaturally good creatures. It also mentions that when a Hell-forged weapon hits, there's a roll to see if the target catches on fire.

From the way it's phrased, it's not clear to me, is it only supernaturally good targets hit by Hell-forged weapons that are at risk of catching fire, or is it any targets hit by Hell-forged weapons?

Thanks!

The latter. While the touch of Hell-Forged metal particularly irritates Holy creatures, it'll catch anything on fire.

Cool, thanks for the clarification! Ended up being moot in my session, since the demon got sent back to Hell before he had a chance to use his weapon on anyone, but it could be relevant in the future.

PSI, Part 3: Investigations
With the setting, and some of the players established, it's time to look at how investigations might go, what threats investigators might encounter, and some tips and tricks for the GM to help keep things interesting.

Enjoying our setting development process and want to join us? Become a Patron at any level to contribute to the world of PSI!
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r

#TTRPG #RPG #Superheroes #PSI

Once travel is somewhat realistic I'd like to consider a move to Portugal. At least for a year is so so the kids get a feel for another culture. My mothers and her parents are of Portuguese descent but American for several generations so it's more out of faux nostalgia than any true close cultural contact. I have been to Portugal and stayed in Lisbon, Coimbra, Porto and cruised the Duro river to Salamanca.

Anyone here live in Portugal? I'd like to get a feel for what living there with four kids might be like.

think @João Talassa does.

I love Portugal. If for any reason I had to leave Brazil it’s where I would be headed, and not just because of the proximity (culture, language, evena medical license would be easier for me to get there compared to, say, the US or UK). Brazilians have been emigrating there in droves, often to the consternation of the natives.

Amazing quality of life, beautiful nature and architecture, mild Mediterranean weather, incredible food (and wine), well, you know the place.

Portugal is considered by almost everybody who comes here a great place to live. I live in Lisbon and have been just a few days ago with an American from Miami, also from Portuguese descent, who said so: awesome place to live, beautiful weather, as it is almost always sunny and Lisbon light is fantastic, there is warmth about people, everybody is welcoming and speaks English, there is safety on the streets, you can taste great culinary, there is the historical culture, all that.

For work, not as much. Financially speaking you can earn a lot more in the States. Costs of living are lower, of course.

Last edited:
Adventure Seed: Gobbler III: Foulest Kaiju
It's that time of year again. The leaves are changing, families are gathering, and giant radioactive birds are battling as cities fall in their wake.

Let them peck! Only One Will Cluck. Gravy Cover Us All!

Enjoying our content and want to support independent independent RPGs and Comics? Join our Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans
($2 a month unlocks all our content.)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r\

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Thanksgiving

My group wants to play an American Gods style game and I am agonizing over what to use. I've been going over Everlasting, Scion, Unseen Armies, and Underworld. Scion and Everlasting seem to be basically superheroes with everyone having the same origin story. I cannot sort out Unseen Armies and Underwolrd is a super simple Neverwhere.

I do like the forgotten, "fallen through the cracks of reality" feel that Neverwhere/Underworld has versus demigods fighting titanspawn.

My group wants to play an American Gods style game and I am agonizing over what to use. I've been going over Everlasting, Scion, Unseen Armies, and Underworld. Scion and Everlasting seem to be basically superheroes with everyone having the same origin story. I cannot sort out Unseen Armies and Underwolrd is a super simple Neverwhere.

I do like the forgotten, "fallen through the cracks of reality" feel that Neverwhere/Underworld has versus demigods fighting titanspawn.

Have you considered Part Time Gods? There's also Godbound and Sertorius, though both have fantasy settings attached

The first part of yesterday's Basic Fantasy game involved lots of stealth (or, at least, attempts at stealth) as the teens tried to sneak through the dragon's lair without alerting it to their presence before they were ready to face it. They were surprised that the dragon had several human followers/agents in the lair - mostly magic-users who worked for the dragon in exchange for learning spells.

They finally made it to the giant cave area where the dragon nested. Seemingly empty, treasure in the far corner, the ground covered by a layer of fine sand. As they approached, the dragon, invisible, began flapping its wings to create a small sandstorm in the cave, blinding several of them. Next came the flame breath, as well as the human agents not previously dispatched. The PC's eventually won, but it was a close thing - all badly injured, some unconscious, and one of their henchmen killed.

Lots of treasure acquired, although a decent chunk of that will go toward resurrecting the slain henchman ('cause that's how they roll), as they plan to travel to a nearby city that they know has a cleric capable of casting such a spell.

Part Time Gods looks pretty good. . .and is loosely based/heavily influenced by both American Gods and the Almighty Johnsons.

I’d say to consider City of Mist. It’s got a loosely defined default setting, but that could be easily tweaked as needed. It has a pretty cool approach in that each character has to balance their mortal self and their mythic self. I ran a short mini-campaign of it that was a kind of mix of American Gods and the comic Fables.

It should suit, if you’re okay with Powered by the Apocalypse style games.

I’d say to consider City of Mist. It’s got a loosely defined default setting, but that could be easily tweaked as needed. It has a pretty cool approach in that each character has to balance their mortal self and their mythic self. I ran a short mini-campaign of it that was a kind of mix of American Gods and the comic Fables.

It should suit, if you’re okay with Powered by the Apocalypse style games.
I have City of Mists but didn't think of including it. I can definitely see how if you specified that everyone was making characters from myth and legend that it could work.

Would Kevin Crawford's Godbound work?

We finished our 5e run through of Against the Cult of the Reptile God over 6 2 1/2 hour sessions and it was pretty good throughout. The last two times were way back with 2e and this was my first time running any 5e. On the good side I was really pleased with how quick the fights were, with only the final battle lasting more than 3 rounds; I think this was a testament to how powerful pcs are at 2nd/3rd level compared to earlier editions. This suits me fine as I dreaded the slog we encountered playing both 4e and 13th Age in the more recent past. On the downside, and it's a debatable downside, the system didn't really grip or excel in any particular way; like I said sometimes a system that just does a job can be seen as a strong point so I'm not going to moan about it. I'm not sure whether there's enough there to drag me back anytime soon unless players make some strident requests.

The Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign ran onto some rocky ground recently with 3/5 of the players really not being on the same page as the rest of us with regards to dedication, so I called a halt to everything with a view to completely walking away and leaving it. Thankfully, I was convinced by the two remaining players to carry on and have agreed - in truth this was a big relief as Masks was something I'd been looking forward to running for many years so my batteries have recharged fairly quickly. We're two sessions in to the restart and it's been back to its best. Stuff happens.

Looking forward now to planning my Delta Green game with two sessions before Christmas and two after.

I've also finally got around to reading Symbaroum and this has gone straight onto the "to run" pile. I was impressed. When is another question altogether.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back