What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Definitely agreed. I only GM what inspires me, and I'll put a lot of effort into the prep because I enjoy that part of it.

I've wondered if one side effect of Covid is general gaming-ennui. So much internalization and distraction going on that enthusiasm is hard to find. (Not something I'm suffering from - I want to game more because the situation feels like such a wasteland).
I know I just haven't had the energy recently for most games. I normally love a good mystery, but digging through a conspiracy to find out who's on top is just... no, it's too much. Give me a clear Bad Guy Doing Bad Things and let me apply violence to them until things are better, thanks.

Definitely agreed. I only GM what inspires me, and I'll put a lot of effort into the prep because I enjoy that part of it.

I've wondered if one side effect of Covid is general gaming-ennui. So much internalization and distraction going on that enthusiasm is hard to find. (Not something I'm suffering from - I want to game more because the situation feels like such a wasteland).

Ah well. I'm going to be selling my house next year and moving in a more suburban direction. It may just be time to assemble a new gaming group after that and drop any expectations and involvement from the current group.

I have not been able to play since before COVID. Work and family are fine but requiring more attention than before.

For a moment I actually thought the lockdown might be a boon for gaming. But it turns out that essential worker dad, newly WFH mom and shut down schools make for a complicated combination; I could make time for gaming but it would mean denying my family of my presence, which I felt was very much in demand.

So the pandemic is extending my hiatus.

Even before, I had converted to voice or video chat gaming over the internet; made it easier to schedule and reschedule, and to be at home when Baby Butcher was an infant and be there for him and Mrs. The Butcher while also gaming.

This had the added bonus of bringing back together old gaming buddies who moved away years ago.

It’s not the same as face-to-face gaming, but it’s the next best thing. I hope I can get into my bro’s WFRP4 game eventually. And I still hope to run a game for Pub-goers some day!

But now is not the time.

Last edited:
So the teens decide to have the elven M-U use one of her scrolls to teleport the body of the dead alien henchman, accompanied by the halfling thief, to the nearby city of Karselund (which they've been to before, albeit briefly). Once there, they planned to find the local high priest to get the henchman resurrected, while the others would ride by horse to meet up in the next day and a half.

While the others ride, the henchman is raised from the dead... and the elf and halfling are made an offer by the high priest. The temple has had one of their artifacts (albeit a minor one) stolen by the local thieves' guild. The clergy has tried to re-acquire the artifact, without success and with no small amount of loss of manpower. In part this is because the guild has informants pretty much everywhere within the city. As a result, the use of a heavily armed traveling warband of adventurers is considered a favorable option, since they have no real ties to the city, and their service is a deniable one should they fail. If the artifact can be retrieved, the gold paid for the resurrection would be returned.

After the rest of the party arrive, they discuss the offer. In the particular, the group's cleric wants to curry favor with the high priest, since he's pretty close to be able to build his own temple. Also, the halfling thief is thinking that they can knock out the current thieves' guild, the city might be a good place to set up shop and perhaps start up her own small group of rogues. And so the group begins getting the lay of the land, and making their plans for assaulting the underground lair.

Also, the D&D 5e game that I'm playing in should be wrapping up in the next week or two. I've enjoyed it - and it's been nice to see our young DM grow into the role - but I'll be glad to play something else. We'll probably play through a few different one-shots, run by myself and others, before we settle on what to play next. I'd personally like to play something that isn't D&D-ish, but I know if anyone in that group is likely to run something in another genre or system it would probably be me, and I know I'm not really up for running two campaigns on an ongoing basis, especially with them both being on the same day.

Running a game in the afternoon and then playing one in the evening has been fine, as long as I have a bit of a break in between the two, since just playing puts me in a very different headspace than running a game.

I can, and have, run two games on the same day. It helped that one of them was a one-shot, and that I had had a decent amount of prep for it (as compared to my ongoing campaigns, which I'm a lot looser with), and that they were for separate systems and genres, so I didn't accidentally bleed one into another. But on an ongoing basis, I would have to beg off on that.

Last edited:
Trying to get in the headspace to plan this Thursday's game.

I'm not anticipating any big battles, and I can usually wing RP-situations pretty well, so I don't really have a ton of prep to do. Mostly just need to make sure my NPCs have goals and motivations.

Trying to get in the headspace to plan this Thursday's game.

I'm not anticipating any big battles, and I can usually wing RP-situations pretty well, so I don't really have a ton of prep to do. Mostly just need to make sure my NPCs have goals and motivations.
If you're trying to get into headspace I suggest you don't read this drivel.

I'll believe that's possible. I lost my virginity in a Computer Science department, but you probably didn't want to know that.

Frankly, having an actual sexual encounter during an extended LARP doesn't seem at all impossible to me. I mean, in the end, why would it be? There might be some logistical issues with finding appropriate, uhm, space, but that's never stopped people in other social situations, why here?

HEPCATS Episode 25: Skullcrushers!
28 November, Rhino Year
Real Life Date 19 November, F’d Up Year, online
Present: Ayu, Baron von Braun, N0-5R, Pierre Delecto, Zera

In the approximately 30 seconds that the team has been fighting the witches and the demon, Spankin Fresh has set up a live broadcast of the battle. Queen Arabella is impressed. Spankin Fresh interviews a so-called “demonology expert” who doesn’t seem very useful. Ayu and Pierre show up from wherever they were.

The team makes short work of the witches, with Ayu shooting Jezilduh in the face with a laser gun, Zera smashing Jezikuh in the face with a warhammer, and N0-5R bashing Critters with the bashing stick.

Everyone teams up and manages to push the demon Scoria back into the Hell-portal from whence he came. Baron throws some salt down after him. The team briefly considers going through the Hell-portal, but ultimately decides that would be a Very Bad Idea since they don’t know how to get back. Some of the bystanders think the team set up the attack themselves and then thwarted it to make themselves more popular in the contest. Spankin Fresh is annoyed that the battle broadcast didn't last long enough to reach a commercial break.

In the morning, Spankin Fresh takes the team to film some Q&A segments with Princess Bluela. Zera doesn’t recognize the princess even though Zera has been the one most strongly advocating for the team to be in the royal-spouse-finding contest. (Zera has the lowest possible rating in Smarts).

Princess Bluela says, “My Auntie the queen told me if I’m going to make a spectacle of myself, I should make it a spectacle befitting royalty. How would you make a royal spectacle of yourself?”

The team’s answer doesn’t make much sense, but the Princess seems to find it satisfactory.

She asks Pierre, “If Planet Kelsey were to become more of a representative-democracy-type monarchy, why should I vote for you?” Pierre responds with a typical Pierre-esque speech.

Princess Bluela says to Zera, “My Auntie tells me you’ve already been married multiple times and it has always ended badly. What would you do differently in this marriage?” (more specifically, all of Zera's ex-husbands have been killed).

Zera doesn’t have much of an answer, but Pierre intercedes on her behalf.

Princess Bluela says to Ayu, “You look human. And you act human. But you don’t smell human. So what are you?”

Ayu responds by waxing philosophical on “What is human, really?” The princess writes “definitely android” in her notes.

Princess Bluela tells H.Greg that she likes his angular new body and asks if he’s angular everywhere. Even though H.Greg isn’t entirely sure what she means, he still gets embarrassed and runs away without answering the question.

As the group is leaving, they hear the princess muttering to herself, “So, if these guys win, any royal progeny would be one-fifth Blue, one-fifth Human, one-fifth Avian, one-fifth Android, and one-fifth Hologram.”

The team is unsure whether the princess doesn’t understand how biology works, or if biology works differently here.

It’s finally time for the talent competition! The team does quite well, especially considering that Pierre and Ayu hadn’t been there for rehearsal. As planned, Ayu dances the princess down onto the stage, Zera lifts the stage and flies it into the air, Pierre uses his telekinetic powers to set off fireworks, and H.Greg sings. The audience and judges are all very impressed. The judges go off to score the talent contest.

To be continued...

XP: +5. Everyone present levels up!

Frankly, having an actual sexual encounter during an extended LARP doesn't seem at all impossible to me. I mean, in the end, why would it be? There might be some logistical issues with finding appropriate, uhm, space, but that's never stopped people in other social situations, why here?

I was in a LARP and stumbled across a threesome in a small grove of trees I was going to use as cover while watching for the bad guys. I said "excuse me, please continue" and found another hiding spot.

I have not been able to play since before COVID. Work and family are fine but requiring more attention than before.

For a moment I actually thought the lockdown might be a boon for gaming. But it turns out that essential worker dad, newly WFH mom and shut down schools make for a complicated combination; I could make time for gaming but it would mean denying my family of my presence, which I felt was very much in demand.

So the pandemic is extending my hiatus.

Even before, I had converted to voice or video chat gaming over the internet; made it easier to schedule and reschedule, and to be at home when Baby Butcher was an infant and be there for him and Mrs. The Butcher while also gaming.

This had the added bonus of bringing back together old gaming buddies who moved away years ago.

It’s not the same as face-to-face gaming, but it’s the next best thing. I hope I can get into my bro’s WFRP4 game eventually. And I still hope to run a game for Pub-goers some day!

But now is not the time.
If I didn't have a group basically living in close proximity I might have been in the same boat. I'm really glad it's not case!
I was in a LARP and stumbled across a threesome in a small grove of trees I was going to use as cover while watching for the bad guys. I said "excuse me, please continue" and found another hiding spot.
You, sir, are a gentleman and Scholar:grin:!

My partner's idiot uncle went to a 30-person dinner recently, and almost everyone who attended came down with covid-19. The same idiot uncle visited a few relatives, including a grandparent, during Thanksgiving. He's refused to wear a mask and get tested. He found out about the diagnosis after a forced trip to the hospital.

I’m sorry about your uncle getting sick and also not being very wise.

My partner's idiot uncle went to a 30-person dinner recently, and almost everyone who attended came down with covid-19. The same idiot uncle visited a few relatives, including a grandparent, during Thanksgiving. He's refused to wear a mask and get tested. He found out about the diagnosis after a forced trip to the hospital.

Sadly one of my closest friends is the same way. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid, no matter how hard you try

Last edited by a moderator:
Reposting my previous message, sans political content, which I forgot is against the rules:

I’m sorry about your uncle getting sick and also not being very wise.

Not my uncle. It's my partner's. But, I appreciate the condolence.

Sadly one of my closest friends is the same way. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid, no matter how hard you try

Agreed. My partner's family has been social distancing, wearing masks, and avoiding large groups. So, what's frustrating is all their hard work might be for naught because of one idiot relative.

Reposting my previous message, sans political content, which I forgot is against the rules:

Not my uncle. It's my partner's. But, I appreciate the condolence.

Agreed. My partner's family has been social distancing, wearing masks, and avoiding large groups. So, what's frustrating is all their hard work might be for naught because of one idiot relative.
Welcome to family. It's sooo much fun some times.

Welcome to family. It's sooo much fun some times.
I don't have to go down for another two-and-a-half weeks; plenty of time for isolation, testing to be done. I already told my partner that I have no intention of seeing any of her extended family. I'm glad covid-19 gave me an excuse not to see those dumbasses. :smile:

Hm.

My hiatus from actively gaming started around June 2019, and I think ennui is the best description of the cause. Now this has been my longest break from the hobby since starting a RIFTS campaign with a couple of friends in the Student Union in the fall of '98. I feel a little sad about it since it was the primary way I hung out with my friends, but the upside was spending more time at home with my wife and my kid, who at 4-6 is becoming quite the interesting little person. In the meantime, I still buy the occasional book, like Mork Borg, and getting ready for the moment I reach for my dice bag again, which is only inevitable. :smile:

Masters of Carcosa: Session 2 was a lot of fun. At the behest of The Infinite Keeper, a representative of a powerful slaving cartel, they agreed to clear the Vaults of Man to open up a trade route. They found useful relics and possibly a secret base at the cost of a PC and mercenary death.

I am loving Old School Essentials more every time we play. Combat is fast, tense, and deadly. Rolling for surprise and handling initiate by sides instead of individually brings a lot of tension to the table (good, fun tension). The game didn't grind to a halt after a player death. The player took over one of the NPC mercenaries, rolled for stats, and the party contributed some sweet gear. The player ended up with a better character than the one he started with and jumped back into play while the party was still fussing around with post-combat details.

We had a crazy fight with a 3rd level sorcerer-mummy that had everyone on their feet; the mummy knocked out the entire party with a sleep spell except the cyborg who is immune to sleep and charm. I was thinking TPK but three rolls later the PC was victorious, everyone was cheering and it was a pretty goddamn awesome moment. The big end-of-session battle was anticlimatic by comparison but I noticed the players were really happy with how it turned out even though the fight was a pushover and the lootable corpse fell down a chasm.

As a player and DM I like difficult moral decisions but my players are going in a strange direction. Some of them have moral issues with slavery but the same people are also seriously considering sacrificing 14 people in a ghastly manner to summon otherworldly guardians.

C.Js Wednesday night game had us, the PCs, advised to hide out for awhile because there were factions in the Nobodies gang that were upset with us. We repaired to our cabin in the swamp and piled all of our stuff into our stolen boat and headed off. We encountered swamp trolls and found that magic weapons are very helpful. Then we tried to camp on an old battle site and the disturbed spirits took offense. Some of the characters were overcome with the urge to flee but eventually everyone but the NPC Sara rallied and we destroyed the spirits. Sara, however, was still missing at the end of the session. That is galling to my character Slinky because he's saved her life a few times lately and wants to see what sex is like with someone he isn't paying.

Today's game was mostly taken up with meetings between Brother Ahmeet and his intrepid helpers and various city and church officials, discussing where to find the person who has been summoning demons. On their way to lunch, though, the PCs heard a commotion at the docks. They found a River Kraken that was carrying off two victims. They did a number on the Kraken and a dockside restaurant whipped up calamari out of the remains.

The psychic battle finally happened. It wasn't as cool as I had hoped, but my players still seemed to have fun. We'll be wrapping up this "who gets to marry the princess?" storyline soon-ish. Unless it takes some strange turns, which is always a possibility.

Animal Powered 3: Flying Squirrel
For those who want to fall with style, let's talk about the flying squirrel, lithe, graceful, and they always stick the superhero landing. The only downside, figuring out costume options that will work with your "wings."

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r\

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Animal #CreaturePowers

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back