What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Finished All Hallow's Eve 2. Just had one last story, before it wrapped up the story wrapped around the others. Also went and finished Terrifier. It definitely got better, and the guy playing Art the Clown is really good at facial expressions. The character never talks, so his subtle facial expressions were important. It's kind of sad when you root for the sadistic killer, because the victims are such morons.

Time to settle in for some serious speculative fiction, where the science is rigorous and exact, the plotting is deft and intricate, and the characterization is subtle and multi-layered.

And the costumes. Didn't it win an oscar or something for its wardrobe?

Although it's cheesier than the deli in a French supermarket, it's one of my all-time faves.

Last edited:
I watched Jiu Jitsu last night. It's an ok movie with some decent fight scenes. Too bad no one actually uses Jiu Jitsu in the film. Nick Cage gets to play a loon again, but a loon who knows martial arts. Frank Grillo is kind of wasted here, but Tony Jaa gets to shine in his fight scenes. It's supposed to be based on a comic book, but from what I read of said comic, they changed the storyline quite a bit.

Flash Gordon is a great film. I can't pin down exactly why Flash Gordon is great, it's one of those whole-is-greater-than-the-sum deals.
She seared the "decadent space princess" trope into my young, developing brain.
The tropes seared into your brain might be a little different if you'd seen her Italian work in the '70s.

Last edited:
There's also a movie called Rampant, but the same people behind Train to Busan. it's a little more action-oriented than Kingdom. It was on netflix, but isn't now. You can rent it on Amazon

Sadly not as good as Kingdom IMO. Way too many scenes where the protagonist is swarmed but the zombies never quite overwhelm him or even get a bite in.

Love Train to Busan though.

Sadly not as good as Kingdom IMO. Way too many scenes where the protagonist is swarmed but the zombies never quite overwhelm him or even get a bite in.

Love Train to Busan though.

It's more of an action film with zombies, where as Kingdom was a drama with zombies. Being an action hero, the zombies reacted how most minor opponents to such a character would act in a fight. The only thing things the two have in common is being set in Korea in the past, feature courtly intrigue, and and have zombies in it. It's like comparing the first Evil Dead to Army of Darkness. They both feature Ash and Kandarian demons, but one is a low budget horror film that tries to be serious, and the other is an action-comedy with mild horror elements

Finished Innocents and really enjoyed it.

Just finished Biohackers, a German series about Biohackers, really enjoyed that too.

Might watch The Baltic Tribes on Amazon Prime, as I have heard that it is good.

Just purchased and binged Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Kinda thinking I want rewatch all of X-Men: The Animated Series and Spider-Man TAS, but also thinking of cancelling my Disney + account and yeeting it into the Sun. Seriously on the fence about never giving them another fucking dime ever again.

Watched the final few episodes of Supernatural. I enjoyed it but pretty sad stuff :cry:

The funny thing is that Season 11 and 15 did God in two completely different ways. As a thoughtful and loving but remote and melancholic philosopher-creator in the first season, to simply an out and out sociopath in 15. Both were done very well I felt but they were completely contradictory. It's impossible to imagine the same character doing both sets of actions.

Poor Castiel :cry:

Tennis balls?

Yes, but I also liked the way he handled Act II, Scene 4, where he strides into the French king's court in full armor and demands the crown for Henry:

King of France: Or else what follows?

Exeter: Bloody constraint; for if you hide the crown
Even in your hearts, there will he rake for it:
Therefore in fierce tempest is he coming,
In thunder and in earthquake, like a Jove,
That, if requiring fail, he will compel...

I have a soft spot for Disney Channel sitcoms, because sometimes I just want to watch something that's cute and funny. Especially this year.

So I was pleasantly surprised to discover, last night, that all four seasons of Liv & Maddie are on Netflix. (Surprised because I figured Disney would make all their shows exclusive to Disney +). I've seen an episode here and there from various points in the show's run, but now I am starting it from the beginning.

(Surprised because I figured Disney would make all their shows exclusive to Disney +).

Given it was likely a contracted deal prior to D+ existing, they still have to let other services have shows until those deals run out (like Agents of Shield being on Netflix, or the other Marvel shows they did with Netflix still being there until 2021)

Watched and enjoyed The Baltic Tribes. It has a good feel to it and shows people not normally depicted.

Having the subtitles not show names of things in the Baltic languages was really irritating, though, as it just said "speaking in a foreign language", which was annoying.

Given it was likely a contracted deal prior to D+ existing, they still have to let other services have shows until those deals run out (like Agents of Shield being on Netflix, or the other Marvel shows they did with Netflix still being there until 2021)

Is it only until 2021? I thought that the Netflix Defenders shows belonged to Netflix in that they could keep them on the service as long as they wanted?

Is it only until 2021? I thought that the Netflix Defenders shows belonged to Netflix in that they could keep them on the service as long as they wanted?

Actually, it looks like they can hold onto them up to 2 years after cancellation. Which means Daredevil could go back to Marvel next month. IIRC, Marvel produced them for Netflix, so Netflix doesn't own them. Marvel doesn't make that kind of mistake any more; they learned the lesson of just licensing stuff out in a way that costs them long term (IE Fox and FF/X-men, or Sony and Spiderman)

Actually, it looks like they can hold onto them up to 2 years after cancellation. Which means Daredevil could go back to Marvel next month. IIRC, Marvel produced them for Netflix, so Netflix doesn't own them. Marvel doesn't make that kind of mistake any more; they learned the lesson of just licensing stuff out in a way that costs them long term (IE Fox and FF/X-men, or Sony and Spiderman)

That's just the rights to use the characters. Not the actual shows themselves, i.e. " Sources tell Variety that the deal for the original four Marvel shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation. " I'm not sure about the sreaming rights to the shows, as no where that mentioned the agreement said anything about that.

Watched the final few episodes of Supernatural. I enjoyed it but pretty sad stuff :cry:

The funny thing is that Season 11 and 15 did God in two completely different ways. As a thoughtful and loving but remote and melancholic philosopher-creator in the first season, to simply an out and out sociopath in 15. Both were done very well I felt but they were completely contradictory. It's impossible to imagine the same character doing both sets of actions.

Poor Castiel :cry:

Supernatural is a fun show, but I feel like it should have ended with Season 5's Swan Song. In fact, that was the original creator's plan, but the CW and everybody involved wanted to continue. I feel like everything that came after -- Leviathans, Metatron, Rowena, The Darkness, The Alternate Universes, Jack, The Empty, God being the final antagonist, etc., really added a lot of contradictory lore and did so by retcons (Angels were really powerful beings in Seasons 4 and 5, but then they got pretty mundane and weak). While it's been successful, I personally feel it never was as good as those first 5 years.

Supernatural is a fun show, but I feel like it should have ended with Season 5's Swan Song...While it's been successful, I personally feel it never was as good as those first 5 years.
Oh I 100% agree. It also becomes more jokey and light-hearted compared with the, not dark as such, but serious tone of the first five seasons. It's basically a different show. I just enjoyed Rob Benedict as God, but as a sensible show the good stuff ended with Swan Song.

The shows were made by Marvel Television and ABC Studios. They own them, but the deal gave Netflix the right to stream the shows for two years after cancellation. Disney could revive them once those two years are up, but it's unlikely they will.

You're not getting the point. The terms that have been revealed are around the use of the characters. In no place (and not in that linked article) do they say anything about streaming rights. It says it right there in the article, and I quote:

Contractually, Marvel must wait two years before they can use the characters without Netflix.

That's just the use of the characters. What is reverting now (Daredevil first as of sometime really soon or really recently) is the ability to use them in their own shows. Not the streaming rights for the shows. In fact that information is not in any of the articles on it, and I've not been able to track down anything that gives information one way or the other.

I get it just fine. I just don't agree with you. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Don't agree that's what it says? Okie dokie.

I'm saying I disagree that Netflix owns the shows. To help prove that, I did a little deeper digging, as I remembered the head of Disney being interviewed about the shows. From this interview with Bob Iger from Disney, who said:
This gives us an opportunity to create and own four new series that Netflix will have exclusivity [on] for a period of time, starting in 2016, when the series are made available to them

It's clear from his statement that Disney owns the shows, and that Netflix had exclusive streaming rights for a period of time. While Disney/Marvel can use the characters elsewhere 2 years after the shows are cancelled, Netflix still has the rights to stream them (iirc) until the end of 2021. I hope that helps straighten out who actually owns the shows.

Last edited:
Just finished Series 1 of Kingdom and enjoyed it. I saw it on my recommendations but thought it would be another Korean dynastic struggle show, which it is but with zombies. Pretty good so far, although Series 1 only seems to be half the story. Going to watch Series 2 over the next few days.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back