What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Rewatching Plan 9 on TCM. This print is pristine, who was keeping care of Wood's film for the first 20-30 years?

I think Glen or Glenda? is his anti-masterpiece but Plan 9 is definitely charming with that magical combo of hilarious dialogue and wooden delivery that makes it a fun watch all the way through.

All of Wood's films are entertaining in this manner, which is one reason he is far from the worse director ever.

Anyone who thinks that Wood is that bad should dig into the upcoming Andy Milligan boxset coming from Severin films (and even then I'm a fan of Milligans few surviving sexploitation films!).

View attachment 26323

Milligan's Fleshpot on 42nd Street is a wonderful movie.
I also have the double feature Seeds/Vapors released by Vinegar Syndrome. The alternate sexploitation version of Seeds, Seeds of Sin will not be part of the Severin box set.

Milligan's Fleshpot on 42nd Street is a wonderful movie.
I also have the double feature Seeds/Vapors released by Vinegar Syndrome. The alternate sexploitation version of Seeds, Seeds of Sin will not be part of the Severin box set.

Yeah I have the Fleshpot blu and it is great, I also have the BFI release of Nightbirds too which I quite like. Haven't seen Seeds yet. It is the Stephen Thrower commentaries and book that make the set tempting for me.

I finally finished Archive yesterday. Like I posted earlier, I was hoping for something along the lines of Ex Machina or even The Machine. It had elements similar to both (more The Machine). I thought it wasn't bad, and when the ending came, I actually came away with a better feeling for the movie. It's a twist, and while similar to one used in a well known film, I thought it was well done.

While I'm still halfway through Another Life, I decided to start Legend of the Condors 2003 on Amazon. For whatever reason, Amazon on my Roku wouldn't let me turn on the English subtitles, so I had to do so from the Roku settings (which means everything has subs until I turn it off). That kind of ticked me off. The subs move a little too fast, making it hard to keep up. I'm going to see if I can watch it on my tablet and/or phone, and enable the subtitles to watch them that way (and hopefully if I do, they won't move as fast)

While I'm still halfway through Another Life, I decided to start Legend of the Condors 2003 on Amazon. For whatever reason, Amazon on my Roku wouldn't let me turn on the English subtitles, so I had to do so from the Roku settings (which means everything has subs until I turn it off). That kind of ticked me off. The subs move a little too fast, making it hard to keep up. I'm going to see if I can watch it on my tablet and/or phone, and enable the subtitles to watch them that way (and hopefully if I do, they won't move as fast)
I took a look at that last night, and the subtitles are rough, not just the speed, but it's not the greatest translation. If I didn't know the story already, I am not sure I would be following it.

I have been watching Tasting History with Max Miller while working.

He actually really annoys me, because he half-asses everything. I swear every video it's like "the recipe calls for this, but I don't have that, so I'm going to do this or substitute that".

I prefer the Histoical Italian Cooking channel

Less charisma, but he does the f-ing work!

I took a look at that last night, and the subtitles are rough, not just the speed, but it's not the greatest translation. If I didn't know the story already, I am not sure I would be following it.

They do have also have the 2008 version (and Romance of the Condor Heroes). Maybe I should ditch this one and just try to watch the later version (though I recall reading the 2003 version was a better adaption). I found a Youtube channel with the series (among others), and the pace of the subtitles is slower, so I'm not missing anything. Of course, there are ad breaks, but I guess it's a small price to pay. The subtitles also seem to work better on my phone (ie slower), so I guess I can watch episodes on Yotube via my Roku, and follow through with others via my phone (and likely tablet)

Edit: after chatting with Amazon support, I restarted the Roku, and was able to turn on subs once the video starts (but not at the show listing like you can with most shows/films). They're not fast like from the main Roku captions, so I can now try and watch it on Amazon instead of Youtube

Last edited:
They do have also have the 2008 version (and Romance of the Condor Heroes). Maybe I should ditch this one and just try to watch the later version (though I recall reading the 2003 version was a better adaption). I found a Youtube channel with the series (among others), and the pace of the subtitles is slower, so I'm not missing anything. Of course, there are ad breaks, but I guess it's a small price to pay. The subtitles also seem to work better on my phone (ie slower), so I guess I can watch episodes on Yotube via my Roku, and follow through with others via my phone (and likely tablet)
I haven't seen the 2008 version, but I've heard it is a terrible adaptation. Youtube isn't a bad idea. That is where I watched the related Return of Condor Heroes series, and the subtitles were both better paced and translated. Here is a playlist for Return when you get to it, in case the subtitles are bad on the Prime version.

I haven't seen the 2008 version, but I've heard it is a terrible adaptation. Youtube isn't a bad idea. That is where I watched the related Return of Condor Heroes series, and the subtitles were both better paced and translated. Here is a playlist for Return when you get to it, in case the subtitles are bad on the Prime version.

I think I had read that too (about the 2008 version). The version of the 2003 one I found on Youtube has the exact same subtitles as Prime. Since I fixed the issue with Prime, I'm going to go back and restart episode 1, and see how it goes.

I saved your playlist for Return (just in case). I have a bunch of different series saved. There's a lot of channels now that show various series from China, etc. Some are even official. It's a good way to reach fans outside of their region when they don't have deals, and with advertising, can still make money.

One of the networks has a Roku channel, but I noticed their series are also now on Tubi (and a few are on Amazon now as well). I'm finding Tubi is becoming a great resource for movies that go back to the early 2000's through about 2018 or so (ie stuff that isn't on Amazon/Netflix anymore).

I saw episode 4 of Picard last night. The idea of female Romulan warrior-nuns who embrace a philosophy at odds with the 'Romulan way' is intriguing, but why all the swords? Particularly the classic human basket-hilted swords that at least some Romulans seem to be using. And Elnor looks way too much like an elf from the Jackson LotR films--I guess it's the long hair and robes.

Checking out the cast, I found that the character Raffi's full name is 'Raffi Musiker.' Talk about your bad puns...

I read Christopher Lee's autobiography a few years back, man led an insane life. He was actually engaged to a real life princess at one point! Then broke it off because he didn't think he could provide the life that she deserved as an actor!

Been watching a few things on Streaming.

Hulu just released a NYTimes doc called "Framing Britney Spears" and I watched since the latter half was focused on the conservatorship where her father controls a lot of stuff--which I was a bit fascinated with since it seems that kind of thing should be temporary. I wished it had deeper answers, as so much of the specifics were private. But it is kind of weird that a situation that is normally reserved for older folks that have a form of dementia is being applied to a person who seems very self-aware and able to perform professionally for several years.

I only watched a few episodes of it when it was on Cartoon Network, but based on it's Wikipedia episode list, I ended up watching several episodes of Batman: Brave and the Bold on HBO Max. Wow, this show is great! It's mostly light hearted but in the three seasons it was on it traversed the DC Universe and featured most of the best of the universe. I ended up watching several episodes with my best friend yesterday. He's older than me by several years, so he was a kid in the late 50s/early 60s, and we watched a team-up with Superman where he goes bad and there were homages to the silver age with some of the goofy things they did--Superman even put on a crown and my friend remembered reading those comics.

I also finally got around to watching the Witcher on Netflix, and I had read the novels first, so I wasn't surprised. Like any adaptation they took liberties but I was pleased how faithful it was to the original stories. Main issue I had was I felt magical effects were subdued, but since this didn't have the budget of a Hollywood Blockbuster and was live action as opposed to a cartoon or video game, I understood the limitations.

I've just started watching Kingdom on Netflix. For those who haven't seen/heard of it, It's like a Korean period drama with a sudden injection of zombies!!!!

We finished season 2 of The Terror on Prime, The Terror: Infamy. The internment of Japanese Americans during WWII is not very well known here and though I had heard of it I was not particularly aware of the sad details. These add a tragic flavor to this horror tale.

84306cfd7b29c31ec179a5dcbd043ad0728c1307.gifv

We started watching The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.

bc868f224363bd4d555bad7771b79d7f3e019ab2.gif

Last edited:
He actually really annoys me, because he half-asses everything. I swear every video it's like "the recipe calls for this, but I don't have that, so I'm going to do this or substitute that".

I prefer the Histoical Italian Cooking channel

Less charisma, but he does the f-ing work!

That guy sounds like a Transylvanian faking an Italian accent. I had heard that you don’t mix the Garum, you let it settle and you draw the light colored liquid off. Then again, that was for “True” Garum, not Liquamen, which at one time was a separate thing.

Cool channel though.

I've just started watching Kingdom on Netflix. For those who haven't seen/heard of it, It's like a Korean period drama with a sudden injection of zombies!!!!
That series rocks so hard, I love it.

Edit: after chatting with Amazon support, I restarted the Roku, and was able to turn on subs once the video starts (but not at the show listing like you can with most shows/films). They're not fast like from the main Roku captions, so I can now try and watch it on Amazon instead of Youtube

I wonder if they got the titles swapped. The 2008 one should be Legend of Condor Heroes (where they change the ending: though I have to admit I still quite like this one). There is a Return of Condor Heroes released in 2014 called Romance of Condor Heroes that was really controversial when it came out because of casting choices and massive plot changes (if I recall they did things like bring in plots from other wuxia stories but I could be wrong: only got about 15 episode into it)

I wonder if they got the titles swapped. The 2008 one should be Legend of Condor Heroes (where they change the ending: though I have to admit I still quite like this one). There is a Return of Condor Heroes released in 2014 called Romance of Condor Heroes that was really controversial when it came out because of casting choices and massive plot changes (if I recall they did things like bring in plots from other wuxia stories but I could be wrong: only got about 15 episode into it)

Sorry I should have been more clear. They have the 2003 & 2008 Legend of the Condor Heroes series, Romance of the Condor Heroes from 2014, the 2006 version of Return, and the 2019 version of Heavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Sabre (and the 2009 Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre). There's also the 2003 version of Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils and the 2104 Duke of Mount Deer. There's also the 2008 version of Deer and the Cauldron, the 2007 version of Sword Stained with Royal Blood. They also have The Four from 2008. There's others, but those were ones I recognized from fiction, etc

Sorry I should have been more clear. They have the 2003 & 2008 Legend of the Condor Heroes series, Romance of the Condor Heroes from 2014, the 2006 version of Return, and the 2019 version of Heavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Sabre (and the 2009 Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre). There's also the 2003 version of Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils and the 2104 Duke of Mount Deer. There's also the 2008 version of Deer and the Cauldron, the 2007 version of Sword Stained with Royal Blood. They also have The Four from 2008. There's others, but those were ones I recognized from fiction, etc

Thanks. Wow they have quite a bit up. I believe the 2003 legend of condor heroes connects with the 2006 return, and 2009 Heaven Sword and Dragon sabre. Are they doing the thing they used to where they turn 50 episodes into a couple of movies, or are they doing all the episodes on them (I remember Amazon Prime used to have series up as films for a while----but the edits made them very confusing lol)

Thanks. Wow they have quite a bit up. I believe the 2003 legend of condor heroes connects with the 2006 return, and 2009 Heaven Sword and Dragon sabre. Are they doing the thing they used to where they turn 50 episodes into a couple of movies, or are they doing all the episodes on them (I remember Amazon Prime used to have series up as films for a while----but the edits made them very confusing lol)

There's 42 for the 2003 version of Legend (which I started watching, though I switched to Youtube as the subtitles started passing too quickly again), and 50 for the 2008. A few series they added are also on Tubi, and those were the full seasons as well (except for IP Man, which was 2 series of 10 episodes each). I was telling a friend at work about it, and he was pretty excited. Since he speaks Chinese, he watches some on streaming services there. But having it on Prime was a plus for him. Prime has been upping their game on foreign shows, much like Netflix has. I did see a review for Romance of the Condor Heroes that the episodes are edited, but the reviews for the 2006 Return were pretty positive (as were the ones for the 2009 Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre). So it looks like most of them are the complete episodes (save Romance, which I could skip)

Just saw Shadow in the Cloud.

Excellent movie - not entirely what I was expecting, with a few twists - could certainly earn cult status I think. Recommended.

I want to see this on the big screen. I’ll have to wait to go to the movies though until my mom gets all her vaccine shots and we have some slight indication that it actually is effective.

Wait until you hear that he's named that because it's Sindarian for "Star-Road".

Really? Ouch! And here I was thinking he was an invocation of Elrod from Cerebus the Aardvark:

cerebus_004_elrod_1.jpg

Although, to be fair, Elnor does not have a hat at all.

I've now seen episode 5 of Picard. Although it was interesting to see Seven of Nine again, I didn't think the episode moved the story forward that much, except for the revelation at the end. And Picard's Monty-Python outrageous French accent was over-the-top, though I guess that was the point.

Last edited:
Watched Billy Wilder's The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes on TCM.

Wilder made a number of masterpieces in the 40s and 50s (Double Indemnity, A Foreign Affair, Sunset Boulevard, Ace in the Hole, Some Like it Hot) but I assumed like most of his generation he made have been out-of-touch by 1970 when Private Life... was released. But I couldn't have been more wrong. For the majority of its time this is a light hearted and clever adventure with touches of Wilder's caustic humour in its sexually ambigious Holmes and Watson, a frank treatment of Holmes and cocaine, etc. I assume Holmes purists were horrorfied (although Holmes cocaine use and distaste for women are right there in the stories).

It is reminscent of future trends like the meta-literary genre mashups of Kim Newman and Tim Powers and yes Steampunk but then it unexpectedly pulls off a great tragicomic ending of surprising emotional depth. It is great when you can still discover gem like films like this after decades of filmwatching.

Watched Billy Wilder's The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes on TCM...

For the majority of its time this is a light hearted and clever adventure with touches of Wilder's caustic humour in its sexually ambigious Holmes and Watson, a frank treatment of Holmes and cocaine, etc. I assume Holmes purists were horrorfied (although Holmes cocaine use and distaste for women are right there in the stories).

It is reminscent of future trends like the meta-literary genre mashups of Kim Newman and Tim Powers and yes Steampunk but then it unexpectedly pulls off a great tragicomic ending of surprising emotional depth. It is great when you can still discover gem like films like this after decades of filmwatching.

I remember seeing that film on the big screen as part of a Billy Wilder retrospective in college, and liking it a lot. Fittingly enough, Kim Newman reviewed it for Empire, though long after the fact of course.

The main thing that struck me watching Conan this time, aside from Milius' amusing and predictable anti-hippie angle anyone familiar with his films will instantly recognize, is just how underrated the performance of Sandahl Bergman as Valeria is...

But Bergman, who was a dancer who did several Bob Fosse productions in the 70s (which means she was top drawer in musical theatre) is damn good, delivering her often silly, melodramatic and deeply romantic dialogue with absolute conviction.

She is beautiful but not in a conventional supermodel way which gives the romance some grit and humour. The highlights of the film for me are the two inflitration scenes where her background as a dancer makes her movements in stealth and combat graceful and memorable. And of course her death scene and later supernatural rescue of Conan are some of the most faithfully Howardian scenes in the movie.

I saw Conan in the theater and several times on VHS/DVD, but not in the last two decades, I'd guess. Still, reading your post brought those scenes back and particularly the way that Bergman moved. I didn't realize she was a dancer--or I forgot--but it makes perfect sense.

I remember seeing that film on the big screen as part of a Billy Wilder retrospective in college, and liking it a lot. Fittingly enough, Kim Newman reviewed it for Empire, though long after the fact of course.

I saw Conan in the theater and several times on VHS/DVD, but not in the last two decades, I'd guess. Still, reading your post brought those scenes back and particularly the way that Bergman moved. I didn't realize she was a dancer--or I forgot--but it makes perfect sense.

I watch Conan again every year or so and love it. The scenery in particular I think is bang on for the stories and Thulsa Doom is the goddamn man.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back