What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The first movie I can ever remember seeing was Live and Let Die, which I saw at a drive-in with my parents when I was 4 or 5 years old. Was a double feature with The Mechanic, starring Charles Bronson.

Roger Moore was the Bond I grew up with. I didn't even know there was another Bond until years later when I gleefully sat down in front of the TV to catch a James Bond movie on broadcast network television (The CBS Sunday Night Movie or something along those lines) and it was some totally different guy playing Bond. I remember thinking "Who is THIS guy?!?"

Growing up, I'd always heard how Moore was an inferior Bond, and that Connery was the superior iteration of the character. And I didn't get it. Moore was Bond as far as I was concerned, because I'd imprinted on him like a baby duck. He defined the character for me. He was suave and debonair. He was the kind of guy who could take a sip of wine and tell you which side of the mountain the grapes had grown on. And he had killer one-liners. And there was always that final scene where he blows off his superior officers to bang the latest Bond Girl.

Over the past year, I have been rewatching the whole Bond series with my son. The last one we watched was For Your Eyes Only, and now that I am older and wiser, I understand why people dislike Moore. Connery had an edge that Moore didn't have. Moore never felt like a killer on a leash. Connery felt exactly that way.

Moore also got saddled with some mediocre movies. The Spy Who Loved Me is great and For Your Eyes Only is great and the rest are middling-to-bad. Live and Let Die is not good, The Man With The Golden Gun was only marginally better, Moonraker was damned silly, Octopussy was forgettable, and A View to a Kill was terrible. Maybe public opinion of him as Bond would be better if they'd given him better movies.

I quite like Moore too, The Spy Who Loved Me is the best of his run, I think. Would like to revisit it and a few others.

I get into these moods, where if I decide I want to re-watch a movie it usually leads to a trio of movies. Earlier it was a re-watch of...
The Duellists.jpg

Which then led to...

Breaker Morant.jpg

Which means that I'll wrap it up with...

Gallipoli.jpg

All three in my opinion, superb movies and always worth a re-watch. Anyhow, that's what I'm in the midst of watching.

Hulu

Just watched Spider-Man: No Way Home.
Enjoyed it more than any other Marvel property show I've seen in a while.

Walked into it blind. Starting to think that's the best way to go into a movie: no expectations, no hype... just a general sense of genre.

Hulu

Walked into it blind. Starting to think that's the best way to go into a movie: no expectations, no hype... just a general sense of genre.

Yea, I hate trailers that give away the whole plot.

Hulu

The Holland Spider-Man trilogy is really good.

I'm halfway through Rebel Moon Part 1 and so far it's the longest session zero ever. I don't even think all the characters are rolled up yet. I blame the gunslinger and her 17 pages of tragic backstory.
I barely got through part 1 when it came out. When part 2 came out, I couldn't get past around the 10 minute mark. I really like many of the actors in both, but man these two movies are terrible.

Hulu

Just finished Ready Or Not, which was way more fun than I thought it ought to be.

There's a slight possibility of a sequel or spinoff. I hope they do it justice. More than likely, some large game company will see an opportunity to commercialize it into stupidity.

We went to the cinema for a 45th anniversary showing of Alien. We´d never seen it on a large screen so that was fun.
I swear I was gonna break the fucking chair with all the jumping I did when I saw it in the theatre at the original run as a teenager. I committed the criminal act of spilling my popcorn more than once during that movie.

I finished Fallout, having not played the games it was pretty decent. I didn't have any problem following along although I'm pretty sure they didn't explain
how some characters managed to live hundreds of years without being ghouls
but that isn't a big deal. I was more disappointed in the open ending but they are doing a season 2 so I suppose that is ok.

I started They Cloned Tyrone but got interrupted about thirty minutes in so I'll have to try and finish later this week, I am enjoying it so far.

I finished Fallout, having not played the games it was pretty decent. I didn't have any problem following along although I'm pretty sure they didn't explain
how some characters managed to live hundreds of years without being ghouls
but that isn't a big deal. I was more disappointed in the open ending but they are doing a season 2 so I suppose that is ok.

I started They Cloned Tyrone but got interrupted about thirty minutes in so I'll have to try and finish later this week, I am enjoying it so far.
The only one not explained was

Moldaver. Everyone else that was shown was either in suspended animation until they were needed (Hank Macleon and the other Vault 31 people), or were reduced to a brain in a jar to be kept alive (Bud). I'm hoping we get some explanation of how Moldaver stayed alive.

Caught The Big Lebowski at a late night special showing, with White Russians at the concession and people dressed like the Dude, etc.

It was fun to see with an audience for the first time since I saw it upon its debut release to find out which jokes got the biggest laughs. I've seen the film so many times I've got it near memorized.

I finished They Cloned Tyrone, it is pretty great. If you enjoy blaxploitation like Three The Hard Way or even Undercover Brother and Black Dynamite this is a must see.

Been watching Psych, which is a favorite show of my D&D DM and one of my Savage Worlds players.

In the first season, I wasn't too sure about it, because I found the main character a bit too asshole-ish for me to want to spend a lot of time with him, but I've really enjoyed seasons 2 and 3, where he's less douchey and more goofy.

I like how each episode gives the viewer a complete mystery story that also has a lot of funny parts, and I enjoy the relationships between the various characters.

The show ran for 9 seasons, so I've still got quite a lot to watch, and I'm not really a binge watcher, so it should last me a while.

Been watching Psych, which is a favorite show of my D&D DM and one of my Savage Worlds players.

In the first season, I wasn't too sure about it, because I found the main character a bit too asshole-ish for me to want to spend a lot of time with him, but I've really enjoyed seasons 2 and 3, where he's less douchey and more goofy.

I like how each episode gives the viewer a complete mystery story that also has a lot of funny parts, and I enjoy the relationships between the various characters.

The show ran for 9 seasons, so I've still got quite a lot to watch, and I'm not really a binge watcher, so it should last me a while.
Blue Sky era USA was high tier for just fun, enjoyable, goofy fun characters with good comedy, light drama, and self contained stories per episode (with some ongoing secondary stuff as well).

Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar, etc. (And Leverage, even though it wasn't USA, it had the same energy as Blue Sky era USA).

I miss shows like that.

Watched the 2 seasons of Resident Alien that are on Netflix. Quite humorous and enjoyable, although I did get a bit bored with all the normal humans and their normal drama. Really dug the goofy stereotyping of various alien species that are popular in the fun conspiracy theory circles like the Draconians and Greys.

Binge watched Jurassic Park I, II and III along with Peter Jackson's King Kong remake. King Kong and JP1 are great. Notably King Kong did a really good job of crafting a cool Skull Island. Apparently the production team was inspired by a book on the speculative evolution of dinosaurs if they hadn't gone extinct (The New Dinosaurs).
JP3 wasn't great but wasn't absolutely terrible either. It seemed like a studio mandated sequel to me, butalsoa solid B movie. The spinosaurus and aviary were cool.
JP2 was. You could see where they had a good movie, and if you read the book you could read an even better movie. Unfortunately for some godforsaken they decided to hamfistedly shove a boring ass T-Rex in the city bit at the end that threw the pacing of the rest of the movie off for me. In the first movie and the books there's a lot of build up to arriving on the islands. In JP2 there's about 10-15 minutes of screen time before suddenly everyone is on Isla Sorna. The hero characters weren't very likeable to me, while the villains were ok, with Roland the big game hunter probably being the most interesting (and he has an unnecessary amount of exposition when he's introduced).
The infamous video game Jurassic Park: Trespasser is probably the only good thing that came out of this movie (and like the movie it was a mess).

Can't sleep so I have started watching Evil, why did I wait so long? This is good for a network show!
Serious talent there. And I think (assume?) I'm in the minority on this, but I absolutely loved the way the Luke Cage series ended.

(Rather than bloat the threads)
  • In the middle of the final season of the Doom Patrol. Finding the touchy-feely stuff is handled a bit better. Direction? Acting? Writing?

• Crisis on Infinite Earths Part 1: Really surprised just how different it was from the comics. No complaints, just surprised (as I was by just how simple the animation was)

TubiTV

Watching a movie called Patchwork. I found it by accident, but it's a hoot. Plenty of LOL moments.

If there was a movie based on the RPG Khaotic, this would be it.

Goofy fun. A cross between Army of Darkness and Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

Last edited:
TubiTV

Hitting b-movie gold today.

If you remember Darkman fondly, you have to watch A Mosquito Man.
It's like Darkman plus Death Wish plus Falling Down, with a healthy dose of overt comedy.

Absolutely recommended.

TubiTV

So, I was about to give Cocaine Cougar a chance when I found The Amazing Bulk.

I stand by my choice.

This literally jaw-dropping movie is shot almost entirely on green screen. Anything that the actors weren't directly touching with their hands was CGI... probably sourced in Microsoft Paint and supplemented with low-res, heavily anti-aliased clip art and presumably public domain b-roll.

I'd like to emphasize the green screen was probably in someone's basement. Which means not much space to move. Which means all walking, running, and other space-traversing activity is "acted" and the CGI backgrounds move in quick cuts to simulate gradual change of scenery.

I was tempted to turn the movie off when it hit the opening credits, but I left it on while I typed this review. Everything from the open-source orchestral BGM to the animated pug and monkey in the villain's lair, to the acting are all atrocious.

But EVERYONE should try this movie for the less than five minutes it takes to get to the opening credits. If only to see how little effort it takes to launder drug money.

Recommended, for less than five minutes.

Last edited:
Apparently this premiers tomorrow? I love the book series...
Screenshot_20240502_091020_Chrome.jpg
No surprises to guess if this will end well...

And now, off to imdb, to check who plays Henry VIII and Barak... Edit: it looks like season 1 starts with Dissolution (which didn't have Barak yet in the novel).

Last edited:
Hulu

I turned on Ruthless. It's pretty much what Taken would be if it was written by a technical writer.

Script and acting are atrocious. Fight choreography is lifeless. Not sure if I'll leave it on.

Not recommended.

Last edited:
Finally finished Westworld. The first two series were excellent, the last two not so much, but I enjoyed it overall.

Currently watching the latest series of the Apprentice (UK Version) and hope to finish it before I hear who won it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back