Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Ben Milton's latest newsletter linked to this cool webpage that attempts to supply every monster from 2e D&D, from every official source, including modules, setting supplements and magazine articles.

I'm a big fan of 2e's Monstrous Compendiums, which often had good, evocative art and sections on their habitat/society and ecology that was concise but flavourful. Much more so than the supposed 'Gygaxian Ecology' concept some part of the OSR have proposed although in fact any ecology details are actually very sketchy in the MM and Gygax's excellent modules (both of which I love btw but for their actual as opposed to imagined virtues):

I've used this extensively when doing my Myhtras Dark Sun conversions. It is very handy.

Although I'm confident it is a good faith effort to create a lasting resource, I dare say it's not very legal (although WotC probably has nothing to gain by sending cease and desists).

I've used this extensively when doing my Myhtras Dark Sun conversions. It is very handy.

Although I'm confident it is a good faith effort to create a lasting resource, I dare say it's not very legal.

Yeah probably not but let's not let anyone at WotC know. :tongue:

I loved the Jim Holloway (RIP) art from the absolutely terrible loose leaf-binder version of the Compendium. Amazing that TSR allowed one guy to define the look of the 2e monsters, at least until the other setting monsters were added.

Ever since the original Shady Dragon Inn, he was my favorite D&D artist.

It's such an honor to receive such praise. I love seeing people love the compendium. I just pushed a new Table page where you can sort and filter by all of the statistics in the stat block, like Climate, Rarity, XP, etc.

There are still over 70 sources that need to be cataloged, mostly Dragon magazines. And this certainly isn't legal but I don't run ads and I'm not making any money but they could still DCMA it but I don't think they will.

I did put some thought into the architecture and doing it this way: I wanted to have other people potentially help, and the best way to do that and also showcase it is through GitHub, and it works great. The site is also technically static, so hosting is free through GitHub. The "data" is also raw HTML files, so anyone could download a copy of their own and browse through it in-place. So if it goes down, people can still use it to an extent. I'd like to finish the compendium within the year, or at least try.

It's such an honor to receive such praise. I love seeing people love the compendium. I just pushed a new Table page where you can sort and filter by all of the statistics in the stat block, like Climate, Rarity, XP, etc.

There are still over 70 sources that need to be cataloged, mostly Dragon magazines. And this certainly isn't legal but I don't run ads and I'm not making any money but they could still DCMA it but I don't think they will.

I did put some thought into the architecture and doing it this way: I wanted to have other people potentially help, and the best way to do that and also showcase it is through GitHub, and it works great. The site is also technically static, so hosting is free through GitHub. The "data" is also raw HTML files, so anyone could download a copy of their own and browse through it in-place. So if it goes down, people can still use it to an extent. I'd like to finish the compendium within the year, or at least try.
Welcome to the Pub:thumbsup:!

Just beware of the geese, they scare some of the regulars, but we mostly find them harmless::honkhonk:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back