Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I should not have used the term ‘stolen’ it isn’t technically theft, it is just using the mechanics laid forth in AFF. Mechanics may not be copyrightable but it will have been nice to see an attribution or thanks to AFF since it is so obvious.
This I'm behind. Attribution is nice.

That said, I also don't know any behind the scenes stuff so maybe a handshake was done, IDK. Further, and just to play devil's advocate, a basic 2d6 roll under system isn't exactly new mechanical ground for the mid-eighties either

Do you have this same issue with Kevin Crawford and the Cepheus system? Just curious, not a bait question.

I deleted the post since its off topic, right after I posted it. You two are just fucking quite quick at responding. ;p

Edit: S sharps54 post (#5,832) above was correct, which is why I deleted.

This I'm behind. Attribution is nice.

That said, I also don't know any behind the scenes stuff so maybe a handshake was done, IDK. Further, and just to play devil's advocate, a basic 2d6 roll under system isn't exactly new mechanical ground for the mid-eighties either

Do you have this same issue with Kevin Crawford and the Cepheus system? Just curious, not a bait question.
Hmm, I haven’t really looked at much of that. I like Scarlett Heroes.
Does Cepheus not give some sort of nod towards Traveller?

So Cepheus Deluxe says it is inspired by old school science fiction role playing games and has this legal disclaimer so I’d say it is fine.
IMG_4107.jpeg

Hmm, I haven’t really looked at much of that. I like Scarlett Heroes.
Does Cepheus not give some sort of nod towards Traveller?
You have me backward. Cepheus is Traveller. Crawford's games, Sine Nomine publishing, all use a very similar 2d6 resolution mechanic and whatnot.

You have me backward. Cepheus is Traveller. Crawford's games, Sine Nomine publishing, all use a very similar 2d6 resolution mechanic and whatnot.
I mean I can’t right all the world’s wrongs. It is hard enough being a Palladium apologist without checking out every system. Plus I bet Crawford’s system isn’t nearly the direct lift that Troika is.

I mean I can’t right all the world’s wrongs. It is hard enough being a Palladium apologist without checking out every system. Plus I bet Crawford’s system isn’t nearly the direct lift that Troika is.
It's pretty similar. I wasn't trying to foist off another crusade on a poor hardworking Palladium fan though, just pointing out that this shit happens with mechanics all the time.

Leaving the Troika argument aside, I know that Adventure Time draws heavily on D&D, but actually using D&D to play it seems like a leaden approach.
I think an older version of D&D with the right approach would be great. Actually, it has already proven to be so: IMG_7189.jpeg

On saying that, I hope they return to the originally planned Yes And system that got dropped/delayed for this 5e cash grab.

I think an older version of D&D with the right approach would be great. Actually, it has already proven to be so: View attachment 81087

On saying that, I hope they return to the originally planned Yes And system that got dropped/delayed for this 5e cash grab.
I own the OSR version of that, which IIRC is mostly based off Whitebox Swords & Wizardry.

I own the OSR version of that, which IIRC is mostly based off Whitebox Swords & Wizardry.
Thats right. The flexibility of the older D&D system actually suits AT well. The FAL OSR adds some weird Adventure Time like races and monsters, mutations & powers to add to PCs and NPCs for more variation, and some fun mini games that would help a group build a AT like setting.

Hello, hopping in to announce SAKE (Sorcerers, Adventures, Kings, and Economics) TTRPG Full Rulebook Kickstarter:

SAKE is a fantasy roleplaying game with elements of a strategy game. In SAKE, you play the ruler of a domain, a merchant prince, a pirate lord or start as an adventurer with the goal of rising to power.

SAKE (Sorcerers, Adventures, Kings, and Economics) is the game for players who want:
  • Play a pirate, adventure on the seas, trade with faraway cultures, and battle the imperial navy trying to catch you.
  • Or play a warlord: build up your domain, hire armies, and construct castles to wage war against your rivals.
  • Play as a sorcerer deeply interested in dangerous magic, not afraid to enter the Otherworld in search of more power.
  • Or play as a priest as a sort of collector of gods, haggling with alien and fickle deities to channel their immense power.
  • Campaign of building and managing a kingdom while its inner politics are in turmoil, and its powerful nature god wants the blood of its rulers.
  • Campaign of trading and adventuring on the seas, with a ship as your home.

You delve into dungeons, explore pockets of the Otherworld to find treasures, make pacts with fickle gods, study dangerous magic, scheme to assassinate rivals, trade to gather resources and raise an army to fight wars.

SAKE is a full pointbuy system, which means all character development happens by buying skills and abilities using EXP gained from Your character's personality traits and events during gameplay.

SAKE is designed to take place in an early modern (fantasy) world, with muskets and plate armour, cannons and galleys, rising capitalism and waning feudalism. With magic and gods mixed in.

The game's rules support more serious types of campaigns, like balancing between different political interest groups when playing domain ruler, or deciding how far one is ready to go when meddling with gods or magic for power that could save their party and/or domain.

Rainer Kaasik-Aaslav
Seventh Son Publishing, LLC

I'm always bummed when folks use WhiteBox S&W to build their own game, then credit Matt but not me. My name is supposed to be on all of the WB:S&W versions and so I kind of like to see folks credit me for building off of it. I mean, I get $0 from the product line, so the occasional name drop is kind of neat. :smile:

Could not resist...

As compensation I am going to skip backing The Laundry.

Does it require the Mork Borg corebook, or are the rules self-contained in Black Powder & Brimstone?
Also, regarding Mork Borg itself: as an OSR, does the system use the original Saving Rolls, Skills-As-Percentages, and Low AC values like TSR D&D?
(Unfortunately those inconsistent mechanics would ruin it for me. Which is why if this was using Shadowdark it would have been instantly backed by me)

In terms of this production, I really like the grimdark cartoon-style art direction that is going on here, as opposed to the over-gloom nightmarish artwork of Mork Borg.

This could end up being what finally kills Zweihander...

Last edited:
Fenris-77 Fenris-77 Acmegamer Acmegamer Mankcam Mankcam No longer are you on the fence... You want... you NEED to back this!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
If anyone is in the market for a rpg to introduce kids to the hobby with this may be an option, there is a free starter available now

The artwork completely puts me off. Shame.
The artwork actually attracted me, I like the cartoon vibe as opposed to the nightmarish gloom chaos everywhere throughout the Mork Borg core book.

I have the Mork Borg core rules in pdf, and I can't really get into reading it for long periods of time. It's overwhelming to me, and also doesn't lend itself well to being a rulesbook for me, but I can see why others may love it.

I surveyed my preexisting games covering the same territory of Blackpowder/Grimdark - WFRP (multiple editions), Zweihander, Renaissance, Clockwork & Chivalry, 7th Sea 2E, Warlock, and if extending this to include just Grimdark in general, then also Black Sword Hack and Fleux.

I just realised that I probably wouldn't end up running this, and I already have far too many unplayed games in my bookcase, so I decided to withdraw my pledge. I wish them all the best however.

Last edited:
The artwork actually attracted me, I like the cartoon vibe as opposed to the nightmarish gloom chaos everywhere throughout the Mork Borg core book.

I have the Mork Borg core rules in pdf, and I can't really get into reading it for long periods of time. It's overwhelming to me, and also doesn't lend itself well to being a rulesbook for me, but I can see why others may love it.

I love the vibe of the Mork Borg book, but it is a tough read. I really liked the fact that the publisher put an art-free version on their website for free. Much easier to read and use.

I love the vibe of the Mork Borg book, but it is a tough read. I really liked the fact that the publisher put an art-free version on their website for free. Much easier to read and use.
It it though, even the art free book has funky stuff in there font wise if I remember…

I get their game is edgy and all about the art (which is why I’m not a fan) but a bare bones version should look like Nemesis for ORE.
IMG_4120.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back