Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
FWIW my use of toolboxes has caused intense outrage from many Marvel United miniature painters who prefer to put their miniatures in LED lighted glass display cases XD

I fully admit I could be neater! I am in awe of those who manage to sort things in an even minimal order.

Bah re-organizing board games for ease of use and less storage space is awesome. To hecking heck with what the purists say!

I threw away a few boxes just last week! A few Funko boxes too!

…somewhere a collector has just had a heart attack.

100%. I combined my Unmatched sets into the two main boxes. It was almost painful given how awesomely designed their boxes are. I did keep the boxes in case I decided to sell or trade the game.

My copy of Mythras Classic Fantasy arrived at last. Again, Lulu has vastly better print quality than Drivethru. I wish that the covers (front and back) had been more centred (e.g. the text on the back cover overlaps the crease of the spine, which looks like a mistake or printing error). But that’s a small thing, really.

I haven’t had trouble reading the darker table rows, but in a lesser quality print (ie, thinner paper, lighter inks) it would definitely be a problem.

Very excited to dive in properly. A very nice book with great illustrations and layout.

I just read a few pages of Classic Fantasy. Really nice, good readability and the text is crisp, clear and dark. Illustrations are evocative and dynamic.

Very glad that I picked this up. I can’t speak of other printers, but Lulu makes the nicest black and white POD books I’ve ever ordered, for what it’s worth.

I posted last page about getting the PDF of Fleaux! and printing it up for putting together in a soft back. Sort of soft back anyway. I've only ever done hardbacks and this has been a learning/trial/error process.

First of all, despite the printer (a Brother Laser) being fast, quiet, wireless and cheap to run (so far anyway, still on original toner) there are issues and I think they apply to most home printers.

Print Margins. There's no getting around these. You can't print edge to edge on this printer. As far as I know no Laser Printer prints borderless, only inkjets. I'll have to come up with another solution (I have an A3 inkjet but it's an old one bought off ebay and I have never used it so who knows...?)

Duplex Printing somehow (on this printer) prints 'high' on one side and on an opposite page prints 'low' or vice versa. It's not an issue unless there's a 'spread' image like a map or picture and this PDF has some (nice) pictures that don't line up for me. D'oh.

My eyes! It's a fact of life I'm getting older and need to get better with measurements and cutting. That's on me.

Clear Contact is easy to apply...sometimes. Other times it wants to bubble so the back of the book is smooth and bubble free, the front I've had to 'pop' the bubbles with a pin and smooth them out. D'oh. It's my first time making a 'soft back'. It isn't that soft either. I used thin card, it's back by another piece of thin card and a sheet of paper for the cover. Not as thick as greyboard but thick enough.

I've tried to get round the cover thing (rather than have a BIG white border at top and bottom of the cover) by coming up with a quick (5 minutes) rough and ready mock up using art from the book. Apologies to Kobayashi Kobayashi (hope I did the tag thing right) for messing with his design for the cover. I've put a note on as to who did the cover design (or lack thereof) so as to make clear it's not a professional job and my own efforts (such as they are) in an effort to save ink. if you want me to remove the images I will edit the post when I get up (about to hit the sack).

Need to get the covers sorted out for the PDFs I'm putting together. Have to figure out why the printing alignment is wonky. Tried changing settings and it's not just me. Duplex printers do this it seems and sometimes there's a fix (depending on brand) sometimes not.

Finally I can read/digest/learn and enjoy the game. Only flicked through it so far and like what I see. I hope this game can gain some traction and see more adventures put out and wish the author/creative team success with it!

Pictures (again, Kobayashi, I'll delete if you want, it's no problem) of the finished efforts of my first soft back. I'd give me a 5/10. Can do better. Hopefully the POD isn't too long in coming.

Fleaux-cover.png

Weird angle photo. I suspect most of the PDFs I print will have a mostly white cover in common because of the top/bottom Border issues for most (not all!) printers. Any chance of a laser print friendly version of the front/back covers?

IMG-20220314-000718.jpg

The disclaimer. I'm not a graphic designer. I have nothing to do with the design of the game or the art. The blame for the cover is on me. Also my printer. Rassen Frassen.

IMG-20220314-000737.jpg

Disclaimer. Cover by me. Nothing to do with the author/designer. Buy the game.

IMG-20220314-000929.jpg

Wonky print highlighted by this. Low/High. *sigh*

Oh man, you should have waited for the updated PDF! As far as I'm concerned, you backed the game (thank you!) so you can print your PDF as much as you wish in any way you want. I kinda like the look of your cover, reminds of a Choose your Oawn Adventure book.

As for the POD, we're still on schedule, I'll have the updated PDF by Wednesday and order my proof copy by the end of the week. We're still looking for a late March/Early April release for the backers (and one month later for the general public).

Last edited:
Just picked up Endless Enchantments by Jason Mills, 1000 system agnostic enchanted items. A nice big slab of a book, with real imaginative and interesting treasures, any of which could inspire plot hooks. Highly recommended.

I posted last page about getting the PDF of Fleaux! and printing it up for putting together in a soft back. Sort of soft back anyway. I've only ever done hardbacks and this has been a learning/trial/error process

Hrms, I went because of this thread to look at that. It sounds awesome, except getting some of my players to do roll under is like pulling teeth. Ugh. Sighs. (It's not a game design I'm adverse too, but they are.)

getting some of my players to do roll under is like pulling teeth
OMG I don't mind rolling higher than, but rolling under is my default mode. I haven't met anyone who minds rolling under since most of us started with GURPS but trying to explain the logic of 'black jack' rolling under (rolling as high as possible, but lower than your stat value).... that's a tricky one.

It has been quite some time now, but HeroQuest came in.
I missed this crowdfunding campaign (much to my despair, as Hero Quest was one of the biggest things of my childhood).

I’ve been contemplating getting the retail version because my original board is warped, stained and cracked. But it is sooooo expensive.

Do you think that it’s worth it? I still have all of the minis (and spares) plus all the original doors, furniture and cards. But 170$ CAD is massive.

I missed this crowdfunding campaign (much to my despair, as Hero Quest was one of the biggest things of my childhood).

I’ve been contemplating getting the retail version because my original board is warped, stained and cracked. But it is sooooo expensive.

Do you think that it’s worth it? I still have all of the minis (and spares) plus all the original doors, furniture and cards. But 170$ CAD is massive.
Do you think it's worth it?

It's the same game as the original from 1989. It's just more modern components. The board is bigger. The miniatures are larger and more detailed. It's nice having cards for the pieces of equipment. But with the retail version it's the exact same rules, heroes, enemies, spells, and quest as the old version.

Currently the base game is under $90 USD on Amazon, which according to Google money conversions is about $115 CAD. I've seen the base retail version for as low as $75 USD, so hunt around a bit if you decide to go for it.

Heroquest still gets play for me. I've been playing my original sets for 30 years. My old sets have a lot of wear. They've seen a lot of play and they weren't always taken the best care of. My sets were still perfectly playable and reasonably complete. I didn't strictly need new materials to play, but I wanted a new and sparkly set. The new quests and heroes provided to the early adopters were icing on the cake for me.

I bought two Mythic tier packages, as well as having purchased the retail versions of the base game and first two expansions. I have the Knight expansion on pre-order. I don't regret any of those purchases.

Do you still enjoy playing Heroquest? Would you rather play with newer components rather than nostalgic ones? If so, then you'll probably get something out of the new Heroequest.

I wonder why Hero Quest is so much more expensive here in Canada? Local shops list it anywhere from 250 to 160 (197 to 125 in USD).

Cripes.

I have seen replicas of the heroquest board in cloth or neoprene for sale on ebay/etsy, etc. Would be cheaper then buying a whole new box set if thats all you need.

Lol how much of those are backer exclusives? I’m killing myself for having missed that campaign…

That will teach me not to just grab a random assortment of figures for a shot.

The dragon was a pre-order exclusive. The gargoyle, Dread Warrior, and female barbarian figures pictured were alternates exclusive to the pre-order, but all have different versions available in the retail set. The skeleton and orc pictured are the same versions as from the retail set.

I opened my retail box, to take a pic of the standard tray of character figures.

HQ02.jpg

Cool, is it fun?

Sorry for the double reply, but I was a little pressed for time earlier and I realize now my answer was pretty minimal.

The game is solid. It uses the Forged in the Dark system, with some tweaks. The playbooks are all pretty archetypal superheroes…there’s a Batman, a Superman, a Dr. Strange, an Iron Man, a Black Widow, a Captain America. Probably a little different approach than I would have used (I’d probably have went with more role based playbooks) but they work, and you can still get a wide variety of characters.

The team types are Explorers, Detectives, and Rebels. I can see some room for a few more options, but these are a solid base. In the game I ran, the players were Rebels, fighting a corrupt regime in an island nation. I kind of homebrewed a lot of the team elements mysef when I played as the playtest material was a bit unfinished, so I’m eager to see how they finalized this part of the game.

The approach to powers is what I found most surprising. I was expecting a list to choose from but that’s not how it’s handled. You just pick the powers you want, and they basically serve as fictional positioning to allow the kinds of actions you may want to try. It seemed to unstructured to me initially, but after having played it, I think it works really well. The broader and looser approach fits the suerphero genre quite well.

Not very interesting but arrived in the post today...

The Talisman Adventures Gamemasters Kit and Accessory Kit arrived. The former is your typical GM screen and 24 page booklet with a few extra rules and bits, the latter are dice with 1 and 6 marked with Skull/talisman to indicate whether you're in the shit or things are looking up.

I play a lot of the Talisman Computer game (on PC/Steam etc) as a quick 15-20 minute time waster. I also have the 4th Edition Board game and (somewhere) the base 2nd edition game, maybe 1e too. I remember back in the day playing a game with all the various extra boards and add ons and despite the fact there were only two of us playing it took hours. Not sure we ever finished a game. Good thing about the computer game is that you can speed things on if you don't mind missing the details of whatever has screwed you over (or turned you into a toad). Downside is it doesn't feel random when you predict you roll a 1, re-roll and (as predicted) roll another 1. Happens far more often than you'd think and triggers my rage. My 12 year old son thinks it's hilarious and likes to watch me play 'Talisrage'.

To win the PC Game: If you have the City and Woodland expansions and the Alchemist character you are practically guaranteed success. Go into the city board from the start and to the Potion shop. Buy three potions (1GP each), alchemise them (for 3GP apiece) and repeat either that or at the Magic Emporium a few places down with Scrolls (1GP each, alchemise for 3GP each) and Psychic Crystals (2Gp, Alchemise for 3GP each). Buy the spellbook and both magic rings if you can. Bounce into the fate shop and back to the Magic Emporium until you are flush with cash. Buy all the good stuff (Flail at the weapons place, Luna/Fez/lucky/terrance the pets at the menagerie and at the next stop livery stable a Riding Horse/horse and cart and as many Warhorses as you can afford) then head round to the woodlands to make everyone your bitch (but watching out for Craft enemies because one lost fight means all those warhorses leaving you). Boost Craft as much as you can and fight Queen Mab to pick up Destinies using your Warhorses and Flail which is way overpowered (Runesword? Pfft.). I've had games where I had Strength scores in the 90s or low hundreds (when you start with Strength 2) and Craft in the 40s. Own everything, toy with the toughest enemies (off the top of my head the Colossal Ogre at Strength 19 and Vampire Prince at Craft 16 but there are probably others) and pick off the enemy NPCs when you get round to beating up the Dark lord (a paltry Str/Craft 14) for the Clockwork Owl which allows you to pick which square you land on and rip the NPCs a new one. Finally beat up the Dark Lord when you're ready to teleport to the Crown of Command and crush all other players using Luna (a pet) to re-roll the die when required. Without Luna it's frustratingly hard to roll 4-6 on a D6. :trigger: Hearing da lamentations of da wimmin is optional.

Anyway, for those who missed the original book 'got something good' post a couple of months ago Talisman is an RPG based on the board game. Rules lite, it uses D6s and while it has been expanded from the Board Games rules (which has four stats - Strength, Craft, Life and Fate) it's easy enough to pick up. I'd hoped to get the PDF of the game as a freebie when buying the physical book but the publishers don't do that and $24.99 is above the threshold I will pay for a PDF.

As far as I know the publishers (a German company but the designer of the game is a British guy I think? Not sure.) have lost the rights to print the board game but are going to keep popping stuff out for the RPG. We'll see.

Haven't done anything with it yet but I might just be able to persuade my son to give this a whirl. Such a game would have to involve lots of violence so will probably be a straight up dungeon crawl with no real rhyme or reason why monsters live there other than to guard treasure ready to be taken from their cooling/steaming corpses. After that, we'll see where we go. At his age I'd been DMing for two years and written half a dozen of my own games (mostly crap or rip offs of D&D, but hey, gotta start somewhere). At one point I will revisit the 'Dragonsword' game I wrote if nothing else for nostalgia purposes.

1647877055140.jpg

IMG-20220321-152751.jpg

IMG-20220321-152819.jpg

The Dice aren't essential. Just use D6s. The tokens are for tracking fate. GM's kit looks nice (the art is pretty good but some is recycled form the board/Computer game) and I'll keep an eye out for anything else they put out.

Not very interesting but arrived in the post today...

The Talisman Adventures Gamemasters Kit and Accessory Kit arrived. The former is your typical GM screen and 24 page booklet with a few extra rules and bits, the latter are dice with 1 and 6 marked with Skull/talisman to indicate whether you're in the shit or things are looking up.

I play a lot of the Talisman Computer game (on PC/Steam etc) as a quick 15-20 minute time waster. I also have the 4th Edition Board game and (somewhere) the base 2nd edition game, maybe 1e too. I remember back in the day playing a game with all the various extra boards and add ons and despite the fact there were only two of us playing it took hours. Not sure we ever finished a game. Good thing about the computer game is that you can speed things on if you don't mind missing the details of whatever has screwed you over (or turned you into a toad). Downside is it doesn't feel random when you predict you roll a 1, re-roll and (as predicted) roll another 1. Happens far more often than you'd think and triggers my rage. My 12 year old son thinks it's hilarious and likes to watch me play 'Talisrage'.

To win the PC Game: If you have the City and Woodland expansions and the Alchemist character you are practically guaranteed success. Go into the city board from the start and to the Potion shop. Buy three potions (1GP each), alchemise them (for 3GP apiece) and repeat either that or at the Magic Emporium a few places down with Scrolls (1GP each, alchemise for 3GP each) and Psychic Crystals (2Gp, Alchemise for 3GP each). Buy the spellbook and both magic rings if you can. Bounce into the fate shop and back to the Magic Emporium until you are flush with cash. Buy all the good stuff (Flail at the weapons place, Luna/Fez/lucky/terrance the pets at the menagerie and at the next stop livery stable a Riding Horse/horse and cart and as many Warhorses as you can afford) then head round to the woodlands to make everyone your bitch (but watching out for Craft enemies because one lost fight means all those warhorses leaving you). Boost Craft as much as you can and fight Queen Mab to pick up Destinies using your Warhorses and Flail which is way overpowered (Runesword? Pfft.). I've had games where I had Strength scores in the 90s or low hundreds (when you start with Strength 2) and Craft in the 40s. Own everything, toy with the toughest enemies (off the top of my head the Colossal Ogre at Strength 19 and Vampire Prince at Craft 16 but there are probably others) and pick off the enemy NPCs when you get round to beating up the Dark lord (a paltry Str/Craft 14) for the Clockwork Owl which allows you to pick which square you land on and rip the NPCs a new one. Finally beat up the Dark Lord when you're ready to teleport to the Crown of Command and crush all other players using Luna (a pet) to re-roll the die when required. Without Luna it's frustratingly hard to roll 4-6 on a D6. :trigger: Hearing da lamentations of da wimmin is optional.

Anyway, for those who missed the original book 'got something good' post a couple of months ago Talisman is an RPG based on the board game. Rules lite, it uses D6s and while it has been expanded from the Board Games rules (which has four stats - Strength, Craft, Life and Fate) it's easy enough to pick up. I'd hoped to get the PDF of the game as a freebie when buying the physical book but the publishers don't do that and $24.99 is above the threshold I will pay for a PDF.

As far as I know the publishers (a German company but the designer of the game is a British guy I think? Not sure.) have lost the rights to print the board game but are going to keep popping stuff out for the RPG. We'll see.

Haven't done anything with it yet but I might just be able to persuade my son to give this a whirl. Such a game would have to involve lots of violence so will probably be a straight up dungeon crawl with no real rhyme or reason why monsters live there other than to guard treasure ready to be taken from their cooling/steaming corpses. After that, we'll see where we go. At his age I'd been DMing for two years and written half a dozen of my own games (mostly crap or rip offs of D&D, but hey, gotta start somewhere). At one point I will revisit the 'Dragonsword' game I wrote if nothing else for nostalgia purposes.

1647877055140.jpg

IMG-20220321-152751.jpg

IMG-20220321-152819.jpg

The Dice aren't essential. Just use D6s. The tokens are for tracking fate. GM's kit looks nice (the art is pretty good but some is recycled form the board/Computer game) and I'll keep an eye out for anything else they put out.
I have 2nd edition with the first expansion (adds character,cards and new endings). The boys love playing it and it does go for days sometimes but beating dad is so satisfying.

I got a used copy of the 40K version of Talisman recently (Relic) and actually like it far more than regular Talisman, to be honest.

They made it just a bit less swingy.

Of course, some people like that!

I just received copies of Thousand Suns' 1e core book and Foundation Transmissions, Colonial Gothic 3e core, and the Rolemaster 2e Oriental Companion.

I hope to use the latter, alongside the recent edition of Land of the Rising Sun and Sengoku, to put together a Chanbara game using Against the Darkmaster. I got some vague displays of interest in the idea from friends in the pub the other night... So I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, you are a man amongst men, sir.
I believe the version I got is Kickstarter exclusive but some variant of it will probably be available to non-backers.

EDIT: I went and checked the actual text on the Kickstarer page: This is the Collector's Edition hardcover of the DCC version. The softcover is for general release. They're also doing a reprint of the 5E version but, as far as I can make out, that will lack the extra content that's in the DCC version.

Last edited:
I've posted before about PDFs I've printed that came out wonky so this one is weird. It's the second part of Deluxe Tunnels and Trolls. The first was the 'supposed to be faux leather but more like smeared in dog poo' book with the core rules (166 pages). The second book is everything else that forms the bullet stopping tome.

Here's the thing. I had problems with the first book because the printer Duplexed (print on both sides) high on one side and low on the other so pages were misaligned (but otherwise fine). I thought it was a fault of the printer and looked up online but couldn't find specific details of this printer doing that, just lasers in general being slightly misaligned. I thought it was settings. Tried a few things but nothing seemed to change the misalignment.

I printed this portion of the book expecting the same and... it came out fine. Aligned. Bizarre.

Anyway, the learning curve continues. The lesson with this is that I can follow an internet guide how to apply clear contact and it's fine/bubble free on one side and crinkled on the back side. Every time. I'll get there (this is the second recent attempt and I've messed both up). The other issue that's sprung up is needing a glue that EDIT: Dries not 'fries' faster than PVA but is cheap. The search goes on.

I hope the giant size picture isn't too giant size but I took a few pics and combined them all so will have to see what comes out. Oh, and I *think* I figured out how to print a picture spread over several A4 sheets to get round needing to fire up the A3 printer for the covers. use Microsoft Excel to insert a picture and stretch it over several pages basically. That's it. We'll see how the next book goes. That will be either:

1) Against the Darkmaster split into smaller books
2) BECMI players and GMs tomes combined into one book
3) The BECMI gazetteers combined into one tome (but that will be a bullet stopper so not sure whether I will bother)
4) Printing the rules of Talisman RPG in a small booklet

Probably option 1. I really want to read that game and see if it will do MERP style rules in a high fantasy Karameikos style land.

Deluxe T&T Book 2 or 'everything else that makes up the bullet stopper after the rules book/first 166 pages':

latest-book.png

Last edited:
Today I received my copies of Part-Time Gods 2e and The World of Lazarus (setting book for Modern AGE). They both look pretty great!

I also bought the Gamemaster and Player Companion books (PDF & POD) for Colonial Gothic 2e. It looks like there's some great optional rules material in both of them and it's mostly, maybe entirely, compatible with the 3e core book (which is what I have).

I was very tempted to buy the Folklore Bestiary for Land of the Rising Sun too. I think I'm going to just wait for the physical book to come out though. As well as that, I've been eyeing up some second hand copies of Arabian Nights, Creatures & Treasures, Mythic Egypt, and Mythic Greece for Rolemaster 2e. There's just too much stuff been catching my eye lately. Maybe I need to stay off the shop websites?!

Today I received my copies of Part-Time Gods 2e and The World of Lazarus (setting book for Modern AGE). They both look pretty great!

I also bought the Gamemaster and Player Companion books (PDF & POD) for Colonial Gothic 2e. It looks like there's some great optional rules material in both of them and it's mostly, maybe entirely, compatible with the 3e core book (which is what I have).

I was very tempted to buy the Folklore Bestiary for Land of the Rising Sun too. I think I'm going to just wait for the physical book to come out though. As well as that, I've been eyeing up some second hand copies of Arabian Nights, Creatures & Treasures, Mythic Egypt, and Mythic Greece for Rolemaster 2e. There's just too much stuff been catching my eye lately. Maybe I need to stay off the shop websites?!
I snagged them when they came out because I had the Lazarus graphic novel compilations and had really enjoyed them. I think that Modern Age does a fair job of it. I just always feel that the Age system lacks something, something more to make it feel more complete and meaty.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back