Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
And then you learned of these and had your mind completely blown!

61-4DwJGqUL._SL1000_.jpg

The deal was signed before the movie was released with a requirement that it be out by that Christmas. It sort of failed in that the toys werent ready by Xmas but IOUs were sold instead to be fulfilled in , I think, January. All the other toy companies passed on the original deal. Kenner was the only one to bite.
I had one of those IOUs. The display stand sat waiting patiently on my dresser for a while before the figures showed up!

Edit; Fixed a typo.

Last edited:
I did enjoy playing with it. I just wish I hadn't been told that the other option was the coolest spaceship ever. In my imagination the MF was this holy grail of a toy, so that was the basis for comparison. I did find a keen Attack on Hoth set at a garage sale though, so it's not all gloom on the SW front of my childhood.
Hi guys
It's always nostalgic to reminisce about childhood toys. Discovering the Millennium Falcon as a 'holy grail' in your imagination adds a unique touch to the memory. 8 ball ask

That's not even 90s — that's 2010! (I didn't realize they survived that long.)

They didn't really. It's a Gamestop that's kept the old Babbages sign for the place they rent in a mall (or did 15 years ago)

Aside from KB Toys and Toy R Us, this was the place I bought all my PC games. Great memories of hanging out and perusing the multitude of box art on the shelf trying to find that perfect game to buy and take home.

FgrP87GVQAAbo02.jpg

Aside from KB Toys and Toy R Us, this was the place I bought all my PC games. Great memories of hanging out and perusing the multitude of box art on the shelf trying to find that perfect game to buy and take home.

View attachment 75882
Wow, I never knew that Waldenbooks transformed into Waldensoftware. Fascinating. That's what I'm seeing correct? I must have missed that transformation due to being in Europe from 1983-1992. I was always a fan of Waldenbooks.

It wasn't a replacement, but rather another business that they got into. Malls would often have both a Waldenbooks and a Waldensoftware in them.
Interesting, you'd think they've had just expanded their Waldenbooks to be "Waldenbooks & Software" and just expanded their locations.

I can't find pictures of the old Indianan Jones "turn the page" book you read with a record player. :sad:

View attachment 75885
I spent so much money there. At that specific store. (That was Burbank.) Built multiple PCs from scratch. Bought tons of software. I miss Fry's. Amusingly, where I live now the Kroger grocery chain is Fry's and the logo is exactly the same.

I miss Fry's too. Even though the closest ones were an hour away, if I really needed a computer part, they would have it for sure.

I love that every store was themed too. As shown, the Burbank store was Alens/UFO themed, and another store in or near Simi Valley(?) I think had the Alice in Wonderland theme:

40795089_FOcL1agVTKtRcOlfMDCAyjOCMTuR7ATvmvwfsiWkXQg.jpg

I only went in the Fry's in Renton, WA a couple times. They had a decent selection of music CDs back when "music CDs" were still a thing. I don't recall that store having any particular theme.

I only went in the Fry's in Renton, WA a couple times. They had a decent selection of music CDs back when "music CDs" were still a thing. I don't recall that store having any particular theme.
Yup, this was the only Fry's I'd ever went to. I seemed to miss the big years for Fry's because of where I was at.

Renton wasn't themed. As Fry's go it was kinda lame but that was the tail end of Fry's too. The SoCal ones all had themes and made shopping a little more fun. Like everyone else here, my shopping days there coincided with my home built PC days and just exploring everything tech. I feel like they got crushed by Amazon because at the end of the day buying parts is a combination of what's available, what's the right price and what information you have on hand. Finding out in store what the price and availability puts a real crimp on gathering the right information. Home built pcs just seem better done from the safety of home with lots of research tools available.

I miss Fry's too. Even though the closest ones were an hour away, if I really needed a computer part, they would have it for sure.

I love that every store was themed too. As shown, the Burbank store was Alens/UFO themed, and another store in or near Simi Valley(?) I think had the Alice in Wonderland theme:

40795089_FOcL1agVTKtRcOlfMDCAyjOCMTuR7ATvmvwfsiWkXQg.jpg
Ours was boring. It had a music theme. Just music notes and decorative instruments here and there, and a piano coming out of the sign.

I spent so much money there. At that specific store. (That was Burbank.) Built multiple PCs from scratch. Bought tons of software. I miss Fry's. Amusingly, where I live now the Kroger grocery chain is Fry's and the logo is exactly the same.
Yes, spent much time buying H/W at that location too. And The Last Grenadier wasn't far away...

Last+Grenadier.jpg

View attachment 75885
I would always bring the newspaper into work (don't laugh: it did happen on occasion), and every Friday I was the most popular guy in the IT department as everyone wanted to see the Fry's ad...

I would always bring the newspaper into work (don't laugh: it did happen on occasion), and every Friday I was the most popular guy in the IT department as everyone wanted to see the Fry's ad...
Your, uh, coworkers were aware that newspapers aren’t terribly expensive, right?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back