Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils checks the windows, to see if anything is clearly moving. Hoping to get a glimpse at their adversaries.

"Let's head guys, somebody man the window on the opposite side to me"

[Nils will take the right window]
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
Trip sets the SMG yo the side and watches the left window with his assault rifle.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,119
I wait in the truck with my gun ready to see what happens.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
Nils checks the windows, to see if anything is clearly moving. Hoping to get a glimpse at their adversaries.
"Let's head guys, somebody man the window on the opposite side to me"
[Nils will take the right window]
Trip sets the SMG yo the side and watches the left window with his assault rifle.
I wait in the truck with my gun ready to see what happens.
Brush at the edge of the road on the left side sways and rustles lightly as if moved by a gentle breeze, but the air is still and damp; the humidity and waiting is in fact making you sweat bullets and feel dry in the mouth. Beyond the immediate side of the road, it's too dark in the jungle to see much but the suggestion of shapes and movement, large but unidentifiable things crawling or creeping through the foliage and along branches and over the wet ground. On the right side you catch a glimpse of a brightly colored something, possibly a large bird's plumage, as it flutters through a gap between boles and leaves. From where you project it would land, based on its trajectory, you suddenly hear a bellow like a bull in tremendous agony. Shrieking bird calls puncture the stillness.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"If we're going to drive the scenic route I say we get a move on." Trip opines to the others.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"Dave you take the wheel, head the scenic route. Let's hope for the best"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils in stunned. The police and now Dave. What have we done?

He heads back to the driver seat, turns the ignition and heads off along the scenic route.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"You guys are Marines right? We're going back for Dave aren't we?" Trip shakes his head putting his hands over his eyes and wiping down his face at how badly this is all going.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
Nils in stunned. The police and now Dave. What have we done?

He heads back to the driver seat, turns the ignition and heads off along the scenic route.
The already rough road only worsens as you proceed into the jungle. The overarching branches of the trees make the way utterly dark except where the lonely headlights of the truck manage to pierce the veil a short distance ahead of you. The noise of the engine seems louder than ever and the vehicle and trailer are jostled and jolted by the uneven ground. Due to overgrowth and disrepair, the negotiable way narrows until traffic could only travel one direction at a time. A sleek, slithering form flashes across the illuminated area directly in front of you, passing from left to right from brush to brush, and it crosses your minds that it looked to be an incredibly large snake, perhaps one of those for whom the planet Xenochrophis was named. Immediately thereafter, crashing from the foliage on the left, as if in hot pursuit, appears a pair of enormous flightless birds, each standing perhaps 20 feet tall with huge beaks made for piercing and rending flesh. It occurs to you that these may be specimens of the spear-beaked azhdarchids that Mama Mwangi mentioned preys on the planet's giant snakes.
dn13996-1_567.jpg
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"Man that would make a hell of a ride!"Trip says looking at the giant birds.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
The birds have stopped directly ahead of you, hesitating in glare the headlights.

[Let me know if Nils brakes, swerves, speeds up, or what.]
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"Turn off the lights. See if they move on." Trip suggests while keeping an eye out for other movement.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils flips off the lights at Trip's suggestion and brakes.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
Their curiosity aroused by the large vehicle and the sudden change in illumination, the azhdarchids cautiously approach the truck, shrieking back and forth to each other at an eardrum-shattering volume and shrill pitch.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"Tanj! Whaddya think flash the high beams honk and throttle down?" Trip asks.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
"You guys are Marines right? We're going back for Dave aren't we?" Trip shakes his head putting his hands over his eyes and wiping down his face at how badly this is all going.
"That's right. We shall leave nobody behind", Volodimir answers. "For long, that is."


OOC: I hope we're meeting the birdies on the way back?
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
"That's right. We shall leave nobody behind", S̶p̶i̶s̶a̶r̶e̶v̶s̶k̶i̶ answers. "For long, that is."
[Volodimir, you mean? Last I checked Spisarevski was in the midst of a woodland gnome vs. blue ape legionary battle.]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils flashes the lights on and off and starts the engine, beginning to move slowly at first.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
[Volodimir, you mean? Last I checked Spisarevski was in the midst of a woodland gnome vs. blue ape legionary battle.]
[OOC: Yes, that's what happens when you've got different games open and are trying to reply to all of them.]
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
Nils flashes the lights on and off and starts the engine, beginning to move slowly at first.
Upset and confused, the spear-beaked azhdarchids let out earsplitting screeches and flank the truck, their talons sharp as scythes stabbing into the trailer as they rock the vehicle back and forth. You hear the scraping sound of metal being torn apart behind you as four more birds crash through the foliage onto the road before you, as though summoned by the first pair's calls.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
Upset and confused, the spear-beaked azhdarchids let out earsplitting screeches and flank the truck, their talons sharp as scythes stabbing into the trailer as they rock the vehicle back and forth. You hear the scraping sound of metal being torn apart behind you as four more birds crash through the foliage onto the road before you, as though summoned by the first pair's calls.
"Pedal to the metal!", Volodimir shouts, suggesting a possible course of action.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"Any objections to a more forceful response?" He says tapping on his autorifle.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"Fire away everybody!" Nils shouts as he puts the pedal to metal.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
Trip aims at center mass and fires two rounds per bird.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
Volodimir aims for a bird's eye, and shoots. If there isn't an eye visible from his position, he's going to aim under a wing.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
Trip aims at center mass and fires two rounds per bird.
I let loose at the birds.
Volodimir aims for a bird's eye, and shoots. If there isn't an eye visible from his position, he's going to aim under a wing.
[The eyes are too high up for you to see or aim at from inside the truck cab. You can exit the vehicle if you want to try that, though. Otherwise everybody chuck your 2d6 to hit. There are bonuses since the targets are very large and hard to miss.]
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
[The eyes are too high up for you to see or aim at from inside the truck cab. You can exit the vehicle if you want to try that, though. Otherwise everybody chuck your 2d6 to hit. There are bonuses since the targets are very large and hard to miss.]
Not sure if I need to roll twice but I did.

First roll - 7
Second roll - 10
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
[The eyes are too high up for you to see or aim at from inside the truck cab. You can exit the vehicle if you want to try that, though. Otherwise everybody chuck your 2d6 to hit. There are bonuses since the targets are very large and hard to miss.]
Nope, we left one behind already.
Can he see the area under a wing while it's being raised? If not, a foot joint?
If neither, he's likely to hold fire until a target is within range.

I got a 4 and 4 on the dice, and 2 Revolver skill, plus whatever bonuses are available for these targets. If it hits, you roll the damage!
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
As the truck ploughs into the oncoming birds, Eloise, Volodimir, and Trip open fire, their volley tearing into flesh and feather and showering the truck with chunks of bloody azhdarchid. The fearless fowl-killers drive forward, crunching the bones of one of the birds that was too surprised to move out of the truck's path. Three angry spear-beaked azhdarchids set upon the truck, tearing into the cabin from above, thrusting down through the roof, piercing the plastic and metal body of your vehicle as easily as a knife cutting through hot butter.

[I'll calculate the results once I know what you're all doing as the actions will occur simultaneously.]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils will attempt to keep heading down the scenic route as fast as he can, tuning out the gunfire.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
Trip keeps firing. If it bleeds he can kill it!
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
Nils drives forward at top speed over the rough roadway and you hear the sound of the truck bottom scraping and rattling as it passes over rocks and roots. Eloise, Volodimir, and Trip continue shooting at the spear-beaked azhdarchids that are molesting the truck and stabbing at its occupants with beaks like lances and talons like scythes.

[Chuck your 2d6 to hit and choose a bird you're trying to hit (they're numbered from 1 to 3, from left to right on top of the vehicle). I've already rolled for their attacks, so once I know your dice results I can tell you which of you are dead post the outcome.]
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
2D6= 6 against bird #3
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,709
[Shoot, I do not have the rules here at work and I need to check something out before I can update this. I'll try to update the thread tonight after the kids go to sleep.]
 
Top