What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My Facebook Live event just passed, and it went well IMO. Teaching sandbox practices to the new GMs, and stealthily pitching Mythras, Streets of the Fencing Master, Sons of Lady 87 and Raiders of R'lyeh (and From the Tideless Sea as well, which I used as an example of a Really Prepared Sandbox GM).

We had our first session of the D&D 3.5 game today (which I'm not running, for a change). I last played it something like 18 years ago, but I can remember pretty much all the basic rules and systems, and a lot of the detail. One of the other players, who played it back then too, and for years, remembers almost nothing of the systems. A graphic illustration in how people's ability to recall things can differ.

Day Jobs 21: Celebrity

Famous for being famous, or something else? Celebs are trend setters and part of the zeitgeist in and out of spandex.

thinking of shelving my ww2 monster island game. Not due to a lack of my interest, but rather my group is having a hard time just expressing a desire to game through their actions. a couple are pretty irregular about showing up. this would be fine, as we have enough to handle the loss of a couple of players, but essentially all the drive for gaming is falling on me and two other players, which isn't everyone else. this leads to games not starting until 9pm, ending at 11:30pm, and i show up around 6. I've started an email for "Downtime" activities and there has been no interest.

it's a bit sad. I used to have enough passion to carry along 6 people if necessary, and I could do it for a long time. I am not there as much. We've talked about the issues and the last minute cancellations. Some of the more passionate of us have discussed other genres or settings or games, but I can tell none of us is feeling it. It might simply be time for us to move to board games and movie nights for a while.

Some of the kids are enjoying it, however. They are playing DCC. last time they had Travis Kelce go down, Taylor Swift came to the rescue, and she stabbed something wiht the spear of destiny, so they got the spirit at least.

If I could respond with two emojis, I would put a sad face on your group's issues and a love face on the kids' DCC game.
yea, i'm a bit sad, but happy for them. i have an online game i'm in that is going well, though it is two hours every 3 weeks. I've got some other irons in the fire, so I suppose it's not horrible.

thinking of shelving my ww2 monster island game. Not due to a lack of my interest, but rather my group is having a hard time just expressing a desire to game through their actions. a couple are pretty irregular about showing up. this would be fine, as we have enough to handle the loss of a couple of players, but essentially all the drive for gaming is falling on me and two other players, which isn't everyone else. this leads to games not starting until 9pm, ending at 11:30pm, and i show up around 6. I've started an email for "Downtime" activities and there has been no interest.

it's a bit sad. I used to have enough passion to carry along 6 people if necessary, and I could do it for a long time. I am not there as much. We've talked about the issues and the last minute cancellations. Some of the more passionate of us have discussed other genres or settings or games, but I can tell none of us is feeling it. It might simply be time for us to move to board games and movie nights for a while.
It is a bit sad... but yeah, sometimes we all need a break. Or, heresy I know, some people might need to drop from the group to make space for people who might actually want to play...:shade:

Some of the kids are enjoying it, however. They are playing DCC. last time they had Travis Kelce go down, Taylor Swift came to the rescue, and she stabbed something wiht the spear of destiny, so they got the spirit at least.
I think they're doing DCC totally right:grin:!

Now if they also had a pipe-smoking Jennifer Anniston...

But I suppose they're not on the Pub::honkhonk:!

Got to join a City of Mist game last night. It was the third session, but the first one I've been able to attend, so I was a little lost as to what was going on, but I still enjoyed it. Too soon for me to have an opinion of the system, but the characters, players, and world were fun.

HEPCATS Episode 85: Rest & Recreation, or a Reasonable Facsimile Thereof
Timeline Zed-AS
27th- 31st August, Goose Year
Real-life date 18th February, 2024
Present: Ayu, Snaknar, Zera
XP: +3

The team returned to base, was debriefed, and blew off some steam around town. When Agent Z asked them why Secretary Trudeau was acting so weird, all they could come up with was, "Something about crocodiles?"

Agent Z also stated that, while the team took a really long time to do the mission and got quite thoroughly sidetracked, since they did kill Hitler and defeat Satan's army and Satan himself, and even eventually completed their actual assigned mission, he will continue to give them a lot of leeway.

Ayu went to a morning bar for nightshift workers, where a drunk called her his best friend and said she really glows with humanity. She removed Hitler's brain from his skull with a spoon, which caused the bar's improv troupe to rename themselves Spoon Surgery. They weren't very good.

Snaknar visited the armory, where he acquired a repeating crossbow, got his laser hammer improved with a Mega-Damage switch, and was entrusted with the robot Three-Gore, who is a floating head with go-go-Gadget arms.

Zera found some food and an underground fighting ring, where she trounced everyone. Once Snaknar and Ayu found her, they competed for the fighting ring's Trios belts and won.

Also, video games were played and karaoke was sung.

After a few days, Agent Z said that, now that they have the key to Abyssia's gate, they should go there and find out what happened to the prior HEPCATS teams who disappeared there.

Snaknar, Ayu, and Zera requested more specific titles for themselves within Team 7, which resulted in Snaknar being Chief Diplomat, Ayu being Chief Financial Officer, and Zera being Chief Force of Nature.

To be continued...

Party now has a major incarnate daemon slightly pissed at them (sneaky & illusion powers). They kidnapped a mafia Don, killing a dozen guards in the process. The Inquisition has one of them on their "watch and bug his phone" list and is hunting another on the (correct) belief that he's a daemonhost. They've been caught on security cams being unlicensed psykers (only one guy was wearing a ski mask). They implicated their starship as a possible source of a mass daemon possession breakout. And I think they're still planning on driving around the same white van with busted windows & mirrors as the last two times they were on camera.

Edit: On the plus side the started this Sunday afternoon during a big sports game, so the law got off to a slow start. They still have about 6 to 12 hours before the city gets martial law & the starport gets locked down.

Party now has a major incarnate daemon slightly pissed at them (sneaky & illusion powers). They kidnapped a mafia Don, killing a dozen guards in the process. The Inquisition has one of them on their "watch and bug his phone" list and is hunting another on the (correct) belief that he's a daemonhost. They've been caught on security cams being unlicensed psykers (only one guy was wearing a ski mask). They implicated their starship as a possible source of a mass daemon possession breakout. And I think they're still planning on driving around the same white van with busted windows & mirrors as the last two times they were on camera.

Edit: On the plus side the started this Sunday afternoon during a big sports game, so the law got off to a slow start. They still have about 6 to 12 hours before the city gets martial law & the starport gets locked down.
hail_of_bullets_pitkings.png

Despite the heated debate over the efficacy of Session 0, I'm having one tonight for my Rōnin game. It's a short campaign involving shinobi in a fictionalized version of Edo Japan, and the players have been waiting a month or so for our schedules to finally clear.

The timing is perfect, with Shōgun debuting last night. I'm pretty sure most of my players watched the first couple of episodes, so they ought to come into the session with a lot of inspiration behind them.

I'm just finalizing the preparation for the new 1960s FBI campaign I'm running for my lone player. His request for our next game was "Mississippi Burning" but I think it's going to be that crossed with Ellroy's Underworld USA Trilogy, Justified and Reacher (only because when we did character creation it basically came out with Reacher). System is a BRP/CofC mash up with all supernatural elements removed. Should be good to go next Monday evening.

I'm debating with myself whether I want to run a game this week:gooseshades:. I'm going to have an RPG livestream on Sunday, though, that's a given already, I just have to announce the topic as well...::honkhonk:

So what do you think of the Everyday heroes system? I haven't actually read that, just the supplements.

Currently down to 1 game at the moment (CoC Masks) as a player. Really want to run Excession and I have a friend running the playtest of 23rd Letter 3rd Ed which is working rather well. Need to run it before I can write it, yanno.

So, really wondering if I could get a F2F game going.

Two weeks ago we had a loose Session 0, and tomorrow we are kicking off a Traveller campaign (Mongoose 2e 2022). For whatever reason I've decided I want to make a web site chronicling what goes down with the crew, and likewise I wondered why I haven't done this for previous campaigns. I mean, a Neocities site is free. I really dug how the life events, and tying the events together with other PCs produced a cool starting situation. While other folks have their characters all made up, I haven't seen the introduction e-mails yet, so the site still has plenty to fill in.

Journey of the Etana

It's... okay? I see how they're trying to create for 5e what d20 Modern once was, and I appreciate that, but it's the same kind of situation where the inherent limitations of the 5e framework affect the spinoff. If that makes sense.
Pretty much what I thought as well. I find Amazing Adventures 5E easier, because it's just a stright-up 5E port, whereas Everyday Heroes makes too many changes to armour etc.

I ran another 13th Age session earlier this week.
I've been slowly collecting stuff for 13th Age for years, and never really had the opportunity to start running it until earlier this year with monthly sessions.

I love using Backgrounds instead of Skills, very handwavey and great for roleplaying. Big big big fan of this +++

I'm starting to get my head around the session feeling very much like an mmo once you click into a combat scene. Feels like D&D 4E, except much more handwavey with nil focus on minis or exact ranges or anything like that.

I'm getting used to not worrying what weapons/equipment opponents have, they are just 'trappings' which go into narrative portrayal.

Everything is based around what Level threat opponents are, and if they have a special ability (often individualised) that kicks in on a natural roll of 16+ or evens or whatnot.

So yeah, that feels very mmo to me, as well as other aspects that add to this flavour.

Starting to embrace it a bit more now, it is what it is, and enjoying it a bit more now.
Not my preferred way to trpg, but I'm happy to play each game on its own merit, and it's relatively easy to GM 13th Age .

I'm also enjoying just GMing fantasy again, and most of the players really like it (one guy stubbornly dislikes anything D&D, but he likes the non-combat scenes using Backgrounds).

So its overall alot of fun, and for loose, heroic end of the pond, then 13th Age is pretty cool.

Enjoying things so far!

Last edited:
I ran my second Facebook Live event this week. The topic was "Story in a sandbox game", I subtitled it "stop herding those cats already":tongue:.
(You get no special prizes for guessing what I recommended, I'm afraid...::honkhonk:)

It would have been better if there weren't interruptions at home, though:madgoose:!

I guess we all get what we get, though:gooseshades:.

I also ran a session of the World of Orb campaign with First Daughter, and a player from my regular group. Luckily for them, he chose a Druid.
The session I'd planned was happening in a forest (I'm adapting Mythras Classic Fantasy G1: The Lonely Lighthouse, because frankly, I was out of ideas:crygoose:).
When someone has Speech with Animals and another has Animal Friendship, the party has a large advantage in forests:grin:!
They also have adopted a mouse which was named, in translation, "Squeaky". It's now living in the druid's pocket and is only afraid of their owl...:gooselove:

Last edited:
Mock Madness - A Metahumans Rising Adventure

It's time for the Brood to pay the piper, and by piper, we mean the gang of superpowered mutants they helped create.

I ran my second Facebook Live event this week. The topic was "Story in a sandbox game", I subtitled it "stop herding those cats already":tongue:.
(You get no special prizes for guessing what I recommended, I'm afraid...::honkhonk:)

It would have been better if there weren't interruptions at home, though:madgoose:!

I guess we all get what we get, though:gooseshades:.

I also ran a session of the World of Orb campaign with First Daughter, and a player from my regular group. Luckily for them, he chose a Druid.
The session I'd planned was happening in a forest (I'm adapting Mythras Classic Fantasy G1: The Lonely Lighthouse, because frankly, I was out of ideas:crygoose:).
When someone has Speech with Animals and another has Animal Friendship, the party has a large advantage in forests:grin:!
They also have adopted a mouse which was named, in translation, "Squeaky". It's now living in the druid's pocket and is only afraid of their owl...:gooselove:
I'm starting to notice a trend of far to many geese sightings in your posts... I am growing concerned...

Bobby hey now.JPG

On another topic, I just realized that next weekend will be the weekend where I first entered a game shop. I'll thank my step mother for taking me The Pegasus Gift Shop (Later the owner Kathy moved the shop to West Covina as I recall, though I was spending more time by that time at the Strategic Retreat also on Foothill Blvd in La Verne California) on Foothill Blvd in La Verne California all those years ago. Forty six years, time really flies.

What geese::honkhonk:?
ninjahedge.jpg

The KotB 5e game took a detour these days as I included "The Fountain of Health" from Dungeon #39 where the Cave of the Unknown is supposed to be.
It's a bit of a drag to actually get people to show up and play because of college/university obligations but it continues apace merrily.
gargoyle.jpeg
Sometimes a gargoyle looks like a panther with butterfly wings (?)

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back