What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So after watching it on and off for 2 weeks, I finished Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I just wasn't getting into it at times, which is why it took me so long to finish. I have to say the end of the movie surprised me. The movie is pretty much laid back, with little violence. So when it does happen, it catches you off guard. I felt like Margo Robbie didn't have much to do in this movie, which is too bad as I like her.

I then went on to watch Slaughterhouse Rulez, a British horror-comedy. Despite having Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in supporting roles, I found the movie somewhat of a letdown.

I also starting watching Sakho & Mangane, a police show set in Dakar, Senegal. The show has subtle supernatural influences to it, which I found interesting. Netflix has an English dub, but I watched it in the original French. It's only 6 episodes, and the first two I watched had one main storyline, and 1 main subplot (both of which resolved by the end of episode 2), so I'm assuming the remaining four likely work the same way

These days leave me badly in need of TV comfort food, so I was happy last night to consume two offering on PBS.
  • The Secrets of Squirrels, a Nature documentary about, well, squirrels. They were about as cute as you might expect, especially the baby Eurasian Red Squirrel 'Billy' who was being hand-raised in Scotland, prior to his release back into the wild. Who knew that squirrel brains grow in the fall so that they can keep track of all the nuts they have buried, only to shrink again in the spring?
  • The first episode of the new All Creatures Great and Small on Masterpiece. I remember seeing some of the original production back in the 70s. Like a lot of the new Masterpiece series, this has much higher production values and a much more cinematic look than the earlier versions. The adaptation and the acting were good, though I'll be interested to see this production's version of Tristan. That was a defining role for Peter Davison, to me anyway.

Got to Season 4 of Liv and Maddie, where the show got retooled as Liv and Maddie: Cali Style. I am really enjoying how Season 4 ditched the boyfriend drama from Season 3 and got the show back to being a silly sitcom.

I miss Benjamin King as the girls' dad, though. He had a great deadpan delivery.

How was it? I've been debating whether to watch it, as I heard it can really slow at times

It's slow, I suppose,but not in a way I personally found boring, but more in that it very accurately captures that sort of 70s uneasy, pondorous atmoshere. If I could compare it to anything, it would be Picnic at Hanging Rock or Jonathan Miller's Alice in Wonderland. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to a modern audience, it doesn't have the traditional scares and shocks of a horror film. For the most part I'd say it's more beautiful than horrifying for about 90%, but with that growing and sustained sense of unease. And when it does get to the horror, it is almost understated and dream-like though with a very sharp aftertaste of inhuman brutality. Like a Lynch film, I wouldn't go in expecting any answers, it's more of an experience than a story, but I think the film could have stood on it's own without the mockumentary framing story.

But then, I have weird tastes. For me, the folk horror elements, the cinematography, and the atmosphere was fascinating. ut I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear other people find it merely slow and boring.

What I'm trying to decide now is if it's something I can watch again, if it's worth picking up the DVD, or if it's one of those films that can only really be experienced once, like The Blair Witch Project.

I have a deep and abiding love for the slow burn of a lot of 70's movies. Especially on the cinematography side they weren't afraid of long atmospheric shots and a slow build. Some of those long shots give you time to chew over what you just saw, and in cases where it's done well that's a good thing.

I have a deep and abiding love for the slow burn of a lot of 70's movies. Especially on the cinematography side they weren't afraid of long atmospheric shots and a slow build. Some of those long shots give you time to chew over what you just saw, and in cases where it's done well that's a good thing.

If that's the case, I highly recommend Antrum to you - it's basically a love letter to those films.

Rewatched Blood on Satan's Claw on Shudder. Along with The Wickerman this is the film that retroactively defined 'folk horror.' Great soundtrack, erotic and creepy, the ending suggests they ran out of money to pull off what they wanted but the idea gets across. One of those surprising gems that grows on you the more you think on it.

Been binging, catching up on long overdue Bosch, Vikings, Stranger Things, The Boys, and Altered Carbon. Should be up to date with all of these by another week or so.

Nothing arty or cutting edge here, but all pretty good addictions.

Really enjoying Altered Carbon, probably the best Cyberfuture series I have seen.

Also stumbled across 'And God Created Women'. I totally see what they saw in Bridget Bardot :grin:

Last edited:
Rewatched Blood on Satan's Claw on Shudder. Along with The Wickerman this is the film that retroactively defined 'folk horror.'

Yeah, that and The Conqueror Worm (aka Witchfinder General) are some really under-rated films that are thankfully just starting to get the recognition they deserve via the Folk Horror movement. Curse of the Demon, a little bit earlier (in B&W) is another great one.

Watched Knives Out. It was...entertaining. An astounding cast that is criminally underused, but still a good film, if it manages to fall short of greatness. One I will probably never watch again.
I liked it, but the 'red herring' ended up being the murderer, so that was kinda deflating for me.
But it was a fun watch, all the same.

Last edited:
I liked it, but the 'red herring' ended up being the murderer, so that was kinda deflating for me. But it was a fun watch, all the same.

I like the ending I came up with in my head better

the old man actually faked his death, he was the one who switched the bottles, and he hired the detective, and he did it all to see which member of his family deserved his inheritence, and the only one in on it was his mom, who was just playing senile. This would have been a better payoff for his comment about "not being able to tell prop knives from real ones" while playing with the knife he used to cut his throat than the rathor random one at the end of the film.

I like the ending I came up with in my head better

the old man actually faked his death, he was the one who switched the bottles, and he hired the detective, and he did it all to see which member of his family deserved his inheritence, and the only one in on it was his mom, who was just playing senile. This would have been a better payoff for his comment about "not being able to tell prop knives from real ones" while playing with the knife he used to cut his throat than the rathor random one at the end of the film.
Wow! Yep, that is so much better than the film. Thanks for retconning it for me :grin:

Watched Knives Out. It was...entertaining. An astounding cast that is criminally underused, but still a good film, if it manages to fall short of greatness. One I will probably never watch again.

Best part was Daniel Craig's donut hole speech. I thought it was a lot of fun but I'm not sure about its repeat viewing potential, I tend to only revisit favourite films and only ever few years at most so as to not kill off the magic.

Maybe you should try I Shot Any Warhol instead.

Pretty sure I saw that in the 90s, about the SCUM manifesto girl who was tragically born two generations before Twitter...

I don't wish death on Warhol though, I just would be very satisfied by a good beating

I tried to be all arty and bohemic back in the early 90s, post 80s New Wave Pre Grunge, listening to Depeche Mode, Bowie,The Pixies, The Cure, Nick Cave, early Nirvana, etc which somehow led me to The Doors, which loosely led me to Velvet Underground, then eventually to Andy Warhol

And that’s when I said “I’m Done!”.
Warhol was too much for me, and still is.

The new Transformers: Earthrise. They both play it straight, almost Shakespearean with long soliloquies, and completely lean into the cheesiness.

"Doubledealer, how could you betray us!"

Although the best is the space shuttle dinosaur bird robot being a Buddha figure.

I watched some bad sci-fi film called Interpreters. Trust me, none of you need to see it :tongue:

The director of the Korean classic The Housemaid made Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death, a surreal episodic 70s melodrama that would be as difficult to summarize plotwise as a Lynch film. A stew of low budget gothic horror, surreal comedy and I don't know what.

Binging on Netflix again, this time I'm watching 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' with my kids.

Very quirky and murky and lots of fun

Neil Patrick Harris does a great job.

We've done two seasons, so final season coming up :thumbsup:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back