What are you watching?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
TubiTV

Finished They Call Him Holy Ghost, a through and through spaghetti western built in the model of My Name Is Trinity.

Recommended only if you like that sort of thing. Mostly good as background viewing.

Just started Homeland. Pretty sure we're going to like it.

Now two episodes into Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Sōsō no Furīren 葬送のフリーレン) on Crunchyroll.

Now two episodes into Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Sōsō no Furīren 葬送のフリーレン) on Crunchyroll.
Currently on Volume 7 of the manga. I have 7, 8, 9, and 10 from the library. After I finish I plan on watching it on Crunchyroll.com

We're also watching Unnatural (アンナチュラル) on Netflix.

Watching Sugar on Apple+ with Colin Farrell. It’s an interesting modern detective fiction with some strangeness going on. Really well done. The latest episode had quite the twist.

Curious if anyone else is watching this show?

Watching Sugar on Apple+ with Colin Farrell. It’s an interesting modern detective fiction with some strangeness going on. Really well done. The latest episode had quite the twist.

Curious if anyone else is watching this show?

I will once I get Apple+ back. Trying to cut down on my many streaming services. My cable company just gave me Netflix for 'free' for 2 years because I was going to cut my cable: man, it is mostly trash, the Golden Age of tv is well and truly over.

I wouldn't say over, just moved online.

Sorry, I wasn't clear that I meant that Netflix is mostly trash now.

The best dramatic tv show I've seen in years was Shogun, which is from FX, a cable channel.

Course there's still good stuff but you definitely have to dig around for it and the amount of mediocrity makes that harder to do.

Apple+ is currently spending money like a drunken sailor and allowing good work to be done but I'm sure once they decide to monetize their QC will decline as rapidly as Netflix has. The introduction of ad-supported streams may also lead to the kind of conservative programming that made so much of tv a wasteland for decades.

FX is now available via Disney+ in Canada so the only thing that keeps me from cutting cable is TCM, which isn't available online in Canada and is a cultural treasure not just of the US film tradition but world film in general. I just watched a double feature of very dark, early Haneke films and the complete Kobayashi masterpiece The Human Condition I-III on TCM.

Amazing that Ted Turner's crazy channel is doing more for culture than our public broadcaster CBC in Canada, who have been aping the commercial broadcasters for more than a decade and do a terrible job of supporting Canadian films, past and present.

Last edited:
Watched Rebel Moon 2 which was better than Rebel Moon. The ending indicates a Rebel Moon 3, which would be good to see.

Currently watching Dead Boy Detectives, on Netflix, which is surprisingly enjoyable.

Watched Rebel Moon 2 which was better than Rebel Moon. The ending indicates a Rebel Moon 3, which would be good to see.

Currently watching Dead Boy Detectives, on Netflix, which is surprisingly enjoyable.
2-grimacing-face.png

I don't know how you did it, it was worse than the first one. Which is hard to believe, I think I got around 20 to 20 minutes into it before I stopped watching. Did a remove from my list and then did a remove from continue watching.

Are you sure you're ok? Have you had a physical lately? Just to make sure everything is working as it should? Should we send someone to check in on you? Are the director and writers holding a gun to your head? Blink twice.

Watching The Land That Time Forgot on Svengoolie.
I noticed that was on, but did not get a chance to see it, since Saturday night is dedicated to Midsomer Murders, at my wife's quite reasonable request.

Before that started, I did manage to catch a few minutes of the truly awful Inseminoid (1981). One of those movies where the dialogue and direction are worse than what my friends and I did for our Super-8 home movies as teenagers.

Inseminoid - Copy.jpg

I noticed that was on, but did not get a chance to see it, since Saturday night is dedicated to Midsomer Murders, at my wife's quite reasonable request.

Before that started, I did manage to catch a few minutes of the truly awful Inseminoid (1981). One of those movies where the dialogue and direction are worse than what my friends and I did for our Super-8 home movies as teenagers.

View attachment 81788

A trash classic.

Hulu

Wrapped Crimes of the Future. I found it fascinating, but I'm always impressed at how much more the critics and analysts are able to get out of a viewing.

Definitely worth watching, but you do have to like Cronenberg.

A woman giving birth to a penis monster? Inseminoid is definitely next on my list.
Edit: I gave it 22 minutes before I had to turn off this sexist, derivative, half -baked tripe. No monsters or insemination. False advertising.

Last edited:
I don't know how you did it, it was worse than the first one. Which is hard to believe, I think I got around 20 to 20 minutes into it before I stopped watching. Did a remove from my list and then did a remove from continue watching.
I had no expectations, having watched the first one. It was more action, apart from the first half hour, and we knew who everyone was so it had less introducing everyone.

In other news, I finished Dead Boy Detectives, which was really enjoyable. Then I watched Baby Reindeer which was very powerful, very weird, and compelling.

I had no expectations, having watched the first one. It was more action, apart from the first half hour, and we knew who everyone was so it had less introducing everyone.

In other news, I finished Dead Boy Detectives, which was really enjoyable. Then I watched Baby Reindeer which was very powerful, very weird, and compelling.
I'd read that Dead Boy Detectives was really enjoyable. I'm not sure I want to watch Baby Reindeer, it sounds really uncomfortable.

Netflix and Prime

I had to turn Dead Boy Detectives off halfway through the first episode. Didn't feel very interesting.

I'm bouncing between Peaky Blinders (currently starting season 3) and Lexx.

I could never get into Lexx when it first came out (no pun intended). The massive penis ship with its nutting attack was a bit much. Special effects were in line with MST3K. And yet, now, I find the show oddly compelling. How much they were able to do with so little.

And the premise! A universe of "light" ruled by an evil overlord--and everyone avoids the "dark" universe which is supposed to be WORSE.

Besides catching up on NCIS, and watching some episodes of Dark Side of the Ring, I finally watched War for the Planet of the Apes. I enjoyed it. I'm now making my way through this weeks FBI shows.

Been watching several Mike Flannagan streaming series:
The Haunting of Hill House, Midnight Mass, and now onto The Fall of the House of Usher
Quite enjoying them
Also just started Three Body Problem
Probably jump to Fallout after that

I could never get into Lexx when it first came out (no pun intended). The massive penis ship with its nutting attack was a bit much. Special effects were in line with MST3K. And yet, now, I find the show oddly compelling. How much they were able to do with so little.

And the premise! A universe of "light" ruled by an evil overlord--and everyone avoids the "dark" universe which is supposed to be WORSE.
Yeah Lexx is oddly compelling. I still feel drawn to it at times, yet never watched it in it's entirety or any logical order. I'll have to watch it properly someday

Congrats, you just started watching an absolute masterpiece. It now sits in my list of anime which got a perfect 10 score (a handful of them in total, out of several hundreds I've watched).

Jesus. I had to grit my teeth to reach the end of both movies. Snyder should really, really hire a decent scriptwriter.

Jesus. I had to grit my teeth to reach the end of both movies. Snyder should really, really hire a decent scriptwriter.
How I got through the first one, was by reading the forums here and reading through a ttrpg pdf. Otherwise I'd never have gotten through the first one and I utterly failed on that second one.

How I got through the first one, was by reading the forums here and reading through a ttrpg pdf. Otherwise I'd never have gotten through the first one and I utterly failed on that second one.
I enjoyed the first movie. I didn't even enjoy it ironically, like "this is so bad it's good." I just had a good time watching it.

Can't explain it, because it is a very bad movie. Just hit me the right way at the right time, I guess. I think most of my enjoyment came from trying to spot the parallels with The Magnificent Seven/Battle Beyond the Stars.

That's a seriously nice view of the issue. See, I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't be allowed to make movies anymore... :madgoose:

That's a seriously nice view of the issue. See, I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't be allowed to make movies anymore... :madgoose:

He's technically proficient, he just has *NO* idea about how to write a good story (or any story, for that matter).
He could also do with someone helping him in framing the scenes... which, come to think about it, a good scriptwriter can also do.

He's technically proficient, he just has *NO* idea about how to write a good story (or any story, for that matter).
He could also do with someone helping him in framing the scenes... which, come to think about it, a good scriptwriter can also do.

For me, his only fully successful film was his debut, the Dawn of the Dead remake, although it never really fullfils the promise of his dynamite opening sequence.

Your comment made me check who wrote the script for that reboot and it was...wait for it...James Gunn. LOL.

I'm not sure I want to watch Baby Reindeer, it sounds really uncomfortable.
It is really uncomfortable.

Maybe I am easier to please.

Currently watching Parasyte: The Grey on Netflix, but it isn't very good. However, it has given me a great idea for a new Monster for Dorastor, so was worth watching just for that.

Currently watching Parasyte: The Grey on Netflix, but it isn't very good. However, it has given me a great idea for a new Monster for Dorastor, so was worth watching just for that.
Yeah, my wife and I both didn't think that "The Grey" was very good. Though I could definitely see some solid ideas that you could make use of for RQ.

The manga is quite good but the anime is trash.

Lately, courtesy of the public library, I've been watching the first two series of Shetland, a recent-ish (2013-23) BBC detective series set in--wait for it--the Shetlands. I'm enjoying it, though some elements of this sort of thing seem kind of formulaic--nowadays, it seems like the detective has to have a teenager at home and a difficult domestic situation. In this case, it's that his wife is dead and the the teen daughter is actually from the wife's first marriage, so there is shared custody with the island's main 'fixer.'

One attraction is of course the scenery. I've been interested in the Shetlands, and Orkney too, for a long time, dating back to an abortive attempt to set a RQ III Vikings campaign there. But it's interesting to see lots of shots of the landscape, which is pretty spectacular, in a stark sort of way.

So far, all the stories I've seen have been based on novels by Ann Cleves. It's not that unusual for TV mystery series to start that way, though if they run very long they soon outgrow the source material. Surprisingly, some of the stories have had plot holes (or plot depressions, if not full-scale holes). I would have thought that mystery novels were less likely to have them than TV episodes. Still enjoyable, though.

Of course, in the long run the series will run into the Cabot Cove/Midsomer County problem--way too many murders for such a small place. I think the total population of the Shetlands is ~23,000 these days. Online statistics suggest that between 2018/19 and 2022/23 Shetland had precisely 1 homicide.

I thought that Pierce Brosnan was a bit too good-looking for the part, but only a bit, and perfect in every other way. I liked the way he moved through a set as Bond — like an athlete rather than a model. Timothy Dalton was the right degree of "rather good-looking, in a way", "cruel-looking", and "a bit like Hoagy Carmichael". But you could almost see him wince with every line he delivered.

Brosnan had rather bad luck with the whole thing. He was cast to replace Moore when Remington Steele was cancelled, in 1986. And that generated enough publicity that NBC un-cancelled Remington Steele and held Brosnan to his contract. So Albert Broccoli cast Timothy Dalton instead. Which was a loss of at least two outings for Brosnan as Bond while he was still in his thirties.

And then when he did come in it was in an era of silly plots and crappy dialogue. :sad:

This. I think his inability to get away from Remington Steele was rather a pity. I have a soft spot for Moore's campy silliness as Bond, but he was past his use-by date at that point. Even he would say that - in later interviews he talks about playing alongside leading women who reminded him of his grand daughter.

I just watched Vinland Saga, an anime series I hadn't gotten around to seeing on Netflix. Not bad by the standards of such thing, and I think the manga it was based on picked up one or two gongs. I've not been that much of a weeb in a while, although I did watch Frieren: Journey's End the other day, which was also pretty good.

The first movie I can ever remember seeing was Live and Let Die, which I saw at a drive-in with my parents when I was 4 or 5 years old. Was a double feature with The Mechanic, starring Charles Bronson.

Roger Moore was the Bond I grew up with. I didn't even know there was another Bond until years later when I gleefully sat down in front of the TV to catch a James Bond movie on broadcast network television (The CBS Sunday Night Movie or something along those lines) and it was some totally different guy playing Bond. I remember thinking "Who is THIS guy?!?"

Growing up, I'd always heard how Moore was an inferior Bond, and that Connery was the superior iteration of the character. And I didn't get it. Moore was Bond as far as I was concerned, because I'd imprinted on him like a baby duck. He defined the character for me. He was suave and debonair. He was the kind of guy who could take a sip of wine and tell you which side of the mountain the grapes had grown on. And he had killer one-liners. And there was always that final scene where he blows off his superior officers to bang the latest Bond Girl.

Over the past year, I have been rewatching the whole Bond series with my son. The last one we watched was For Your Eyes Only, and now that I am older and wiser, I understand why people dislike Moore. Connery had an edge that Moore didn't have. Moore never felt like a killer on a leash. Connery felt exactly that way.

Moore also got saddled with some mediocre movies. The Spy Who Loved Me is great and For Your Eyes Only is great and the rest are middling-to-bad. Live and Let Die is not good, The Man With The Golden Gun was only marginally better, Moonraker was damned silly, Octopussy was forgettable, and A View to a Kill was terrible. Maybe public opinion of him as Bond would be better if they'd given him better movies.
Moore was the right Bond at the right time for me as a kid in the '70s and early '80s. The silliness was a bonus then. I liked Connery's movies, but they were a bit dry for me at that time. I had to grow into his version.

Last edited:
I just watched Vinland Saga, an anime series I hadn't gotten around to seeing on Netflix. Not bad by the standards of such thing, and I think the manga it was based on picked up one or two gongs. I've not been that much of a weeb in a while, although I did watch Frieren: Journey's End the other day, which was also pretty good.
Just finished Frieren volume 10 manga last night. I think that's all that has been released atm. The anime is on my watch list but haven't got to it yet. Currently watching Delicious in Dungeon anime and started reading vol 2 of the manga today. Recently picked up the 1st two deluxe volumes of Vinland Saga that I will get to at some point before I watch the anime.

I liked Vinland Saga at first but as it progressed the typical pacing issues and cliches of so much modern tv anime dragged it down imo.

I started Blue Eyed Samurai tonight (Netflix). So far, its really good. I like the animation style, as it reminds me of Princess Mononoke in that regard; essentially a more realistic style with none of the typically "anime" stereotypes in it (so far...)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back