Daggerheart

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
If you start with a medium complexity game and add rules this way, I think the result is likely to be a complex mess.
This is what I thought also. If it becomes more successful than you predict, there will be a whole splatbook bloat even further mudding the waters.

I downloaded the 300MB or so...and to be honest ...it's not for me even glancing at it. That doesn't mean I won't steal from it but I'm not the demographic they're looking for.

You two are just brimming with optimism for all new products ever, aren't you:grin:?
Yea, I confess, that after acquiring hundreds of games, I'm hesitant to bother with new ones unless they really catch my eye. It's not just cost. There's also time to read/digest and the likelihood of actually playing something. I'll also quickly give up on free games if they look like they're not worth learning.

Last edited:
Yea, I confess, that after acquiring hundreds of games, I'm hesitant to bother with new ones unless they really catch my eye. It's not just cost. There's also time to read/digest and the likelihood of actually playing something. I'll also quickly give up on free games with they look like they're not worth learning.
First world problems, right?

Well, I’m enjoying the game so far. Just making characters on demiplane. Each one is one I would be happy to play in a full campaign. I do plan on running some games for my group. Just don’t know when I will be able to do that yet.

AsenRG AsenRG you’ve never sat down for a game of Mythris or MAID or whatever your poison of choice is and someone at the table rubbed their hands together and exclaimed, “Let’s play some D&D!” ?
Never, of course, how would that fucking happen:shock:?!?

I mean, if you think I have a mild dislike of D&D mechanics, you should* get to meet a couple of my long-time players. Now they are the people that obviously hate that shit, and one of them isn't even interested in mechanics...:madgoose:

How, exactly, do you think those people would get to use D&D as a synonym for "all RPGs":shade:?

Now, you can hear "that game is very much D&D" at my table. That usually applies to a new game we're trying, and unless challenged successfully, it's close to being said game's death sentence as far as our table is concerned...:tongue:

Admittedly, that might change with the new generation, First Daughter did think for a while that D&D can be used for all RPGs. But she is aping what others are saying, not the other way around, and we're more numerous, so she might soon start to call them RPGs, as is right and proper:gooselove:!

*Though you won't, since neither of the players I'm thinking about visits Internet fora:thumbsup:.
**Yes, I know you mean "D&D=RPGs as in Xerox=copy machine".
No doubt you have said that, I don't hesitate for a second to believe it...:gooseshades:

Which is why you wouldn't be at the table when we're playing Maid::honkhonk:!

Warning: the above post might contain traces of humour. Those allergic to humour should avoid reading it, otherwise AsenRG AsenRG and RPGPub disclaim all responsibility as to consequences or expenses for healing incurred by said consequences:gunslinger:!

two-versions-of-the-you-are-technically-correct-meme-v0-65v9fvura9jb1.jpg

giphy.gif

There are some decidedly non-D&D things that jump out at first reading, with at least one sacred cow thoroughly butchered. Consider what Domains a Wizard character has, and consider what Domain covers healing ...

I imagine AsenRG AsenRG at a party explaining to a "civilian" that he is an avid role-player. The person he is speaking with looks confused, asking "What is that?"

AsenRG AsenRG spends forty-five minutes explaining role-playing games, receiving confused looks from his conversation partner the whole time. Suddenly their expression brightens with understanding:

"Oh! You mean DEE-UNN-DEE!!!"

AsenRG AsenRG murders them on the spot, and when the police arrive, proudly declares that he regrets nothing.

Regarding Daggerheart, I really don't like that that player-characters roll 2D12 for most actons, whereas the GM rolls a D20 for NPC/Adversary actions.
A core mechanic is a core mechanic...so I find this to be quite odd

They may have many other great ideas which are influenced from other rpgs (such as Experiences - essientially like 13th Age Backgrounds, a little bit like Fate Aspects; Weapon Traits looks cool, etc)

But the inconsistency with the core mechanic niggles me.
It's likely a dealbreaker for me, I'm afraid.

My cards have folded early on this one

Last edited:
Regarding Daggerheart, I really don't like that the PCs roll 2D12 for most actons, whereas the GM rolls a D20 for NPC/Adversary actions.
They may have many other great ideas, but this inconsistencyt with the core mechanic niggles me to the core.
It's a dealbreaker for me, I'm afraid.
"It's still D&D! See what the GM is holding?!?"

Regarding Daggerheart, I really don't like that that player-characters roll 2D12 for most actons, whereas the GM rolls a D20 for NPC/Adversary actions.

They may have many other great ideas which are influenced from other rpgs (such as Experiences - essientially like 13th Age Backgrounds, a little bit like Fate Aspects; Weapon Traits looks cool, etc)

But the inconsistency with the core mechanic niggles me.
It's likely a dealbreaker for me, I'm afraid.

My cards have folded early on this one

My intial impression is the 2d12 thing is to generate the currencies of Hope and Fear for the Players and the GM.

The GM uses the Fear currency. They don't need to be generating Hope too, so 1d20 instead of 2d12. Also, that privileges Players over GMs, since it is a roll high game.

So inconsistent? Yes

Done for a reason? Also, yes

My intial impression is the 2d12 thing is to generate the currencies of Hope and Fear for the Players and the GM.

The GM uses the Fear currency. They don't need to be generating Hope too, so 1d20 instead of 2d12. Also, that privileges Players over GMs, since it is a roll high game.

So inconsistent? Yes

Done for a reason? Also, yes
Yeah I can see the rationale, but it's just doesn't float the boat for me, it still kinda feels odd.

But I do like many of the other mechanics in Daggerheart.
For example, I really like using Backgrounds in 13th Age, so I'm glad they went with this route for 'Experiences' rather than a huge skill list.

One wonders if the system has grabbed too many different rules, and it may benefit from streamlining things before the public release.?

Without having read through it, perhaps they wanted (for whatever reason) something approaching a bell curve in terms of probabilities when dealing with player actions, but something more swing-y for NPCs.

Without having read through it, perhaps they wanted (for whatever reason) something approaching a bell curve in terms of probabilities when dealing with player actions, but something more swing-y for NPCs.

So the two d12s are different colors. If one of the colors is the higher number, the Player gets a resource they can spend to do cool things. If the other color is higher, then the GM gets a resource to allow the monsters to do scary things.

So if the GM was rolling the two d12s, they would be generating results for themselves and themselves (or maybe for themselves and the players as a general pool? hard to know).

I bet that the the d20 is flat and the 2d12 is triangular was a consideration, but I would imagine the resource allocation bit is the component that swung the decision.

Doing ranges of success on a flat die with moving DCs is kind of crap anyway. It needs, like, math and shit. Not hard math of course, but for many people any math is complaint worthy.

For example, I really like using Backgrounds in 13th Age, so I'm glad they went with this route for 'Experiences' rather than a huge skill list.

One wonders if the system has grabbed too many different rules, and it may benefit from streamlining things before the public release.?

Backgrounds as skills, like in 13th age, and barbarians of lemuria are a better system for Class/Level based games in my opinion.

They just need to be put in a game that gets wide appeal that will make it a more common mechanic.

As for Daggerheat... I give them credit for putting out a public playtest, and all the static that they will get as a result.

Last edited:
Backgrounds as skills, like in 13th age, and barbarians of lemuria are a better system for Class/Level based games in my opinion.

They just need to be put in a game that gets wide appeal that will make it a more common mechanic.

As for Daggerheat... I give them credit for putting out a public playtest, and all the static that they will get as a result.
Static?

I think they mean the correct term in English is
'Soft Drinks'
:grin:
That reminds me of time I was in the break room at a job. Two American were having the soda vs. pop argument while I was trying to read.

I said, "In Australia, they are called soft drinks because they are for children."

That shut 'em up.

Before I spend time downloading and reading (or, god forbid, wasting time watching YouTube videos that never seem to get to the fucking point), can someone please just confirm if the game uses levels like in D&D?

Once I finish my current 5E campaign in a couple of months, I don’t plan to ever run any level-based games again, so it makes my choice easy if this one uses them.

And, to be clear, for those who like what they’re seeing so far, I heartily and genuinely wish you good gaming with it, even if it’s not for me.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back